• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

WARNING! 2,800+ WORD POST!

Alright, since Over pretty much nailed my feelings about multiplayer, I am going to do my best to convey my disappointment with the Campaign, and why it’s making a long time Halo fan like myself consider leaving the series. My goal isn't to make those of you who love what Halo 4 is despise it, I am glad you like it. I just hope that you can at least understand where I am coming from and get why I feel like I do. PLEASE rebuttal stuff you dont agree with, maybe I'll see it differently. I am letting it all out here so I will stop doing drive by posts.

If you haven't played the Campaign yet, obviously stay clear of the spoiler section. If you have, feel free to dive into it.

First I want to talk about Campaign design, mission design, and enemy design.

1. Mission/ level design.

I’ll just think back to Halo 3 for this, damn I loved those missions. The Ark and the Covenant are shining examples to me of what a classic Halo campaign level should look like. Wide open spaces, diverse combat sections, huge encounters in both vehicles and on foot. Those missions felt truly epic once you completed them. The dual scarab battle and the Forward Unto Dawn descending literally gave me chills the first time I saw them. Halo 4 never managed to come even remotely close to accomplishing what those levels did. Play spaces are now much more linear than in Halo’s past. It makes me quite sad to think of the dual scarab battle or the battle outside the Cartographer on the Ark, and realize Halo 4 was never within range of matching them. 343’s emphasis on graphics clearly killed the scale of Halos past. Not only was scale cut back, but player choice was as well. On the level Reclaimer for example, I hijack a Wraith and want to drive it through the level instead of riding on the boring Mammoth. Well, too bad because TOXIC RIVERS will kill your ass unless you play the level like 343 intended. In levels like Forerunner, you literally have times when a door will slam on your ass, not allowing you to retreat. I remember my battle at the first pylon on Legendary. I step through the door and immediately I am getting pinged by Light Rifle fire. I attempt to move back through the door I came out of but it has locked. The game now forces me to sprint my ass into the level like Rambo. This happens multiple times throughout the game. Halo never forced me to do anything before, it let me choose.

2. Campaign Exploration.

I touched on it lightly above, but I truly believe 343’s focus on graphics resulted in our scaled back Campaign world. Long gone are the grand landscapes that Bungie created in past Halos. The beautifully rendered skyboxes have been replaced with static, low quality images. When I first emerged from that tunnel on Requiem, and gazed out over that cliff at the Forerunner structure, I was initially blown away. Then I treated it like every other Halo game and ZOOMED in. The illusion broke down immediately. The structures that appeared to stretch into the distance weren’t even real, they were just pictures. That landscape in the backdrop was now just a pixelated mess. Bungie nailed believability in their worlds because their attention to detail expanded beyond playable space. If you saw something in the distance, you could more than likely get there. Breaking out of the playable spaces and exploring campaign missions was something I loved to do in past Halos. Obviously, I can no longer do this as what once was a fully realized Campaign space is now just an image. You may think this is a dumb critique, but this was something I loved about Bungie’s Halos.

3. Repetitive Campaign objectives and lack of replayability.

Buttons, buttons, buttons. That’s the name of the game in Halo 4. Objectives dwindled down to the push of a button so damn often it became monotonous. If you weren’t pushing a button, you were finding a forerunner terminal which Cortana conveniently fit into, and inserting and removing her constantly. Come on 343, you must have felt this became boring after a while… In the later missions in particular, objectives for the mission quite literally were to travel through repetitive environments with the sole purpose of pressing buttons and inserting Cortana. My purpose in the game feels so insignificant when these are my main objectives. Campaign missions need to be created with replayability in mind. Flying through the outer surface of the Didact’s ship was cool initially, but it lacks replayability. Going back through, I found I just wanted the sequence to end. This is actually how I felt for many of the games missions. A successful Campaign mission won’t feel like a grind on repeated playthroughs.

4. The Promethean’s design.

So 343 hyped up their new enemies at every opportunity leading up to the game’s release. They said they created worthy successors to the Covenant, who was I to doubt them? The reality is that the Prometheans were an unbelievably dull and repetitive enemy to fight. The first issue stems from there only being 3 main types of enemies. The variety in encounters simply doesn’t exist with them. Watchers are simply a pain in the ass. If you don’t shoot them first you’ll just end up frustrated later in the fight. Crawlers are frustrating beyond belief. They shoot you with Bolt Shots, Suppressors, and then randomly one will one shot you with a Binary Rifle. Being overrun by them does not make them a good enemy or make their AI good. Their only purpose is to eat your ammo and distract you in hopes that a Knight will come your way. They are a very boring enemy to fight. Now the Knights. 343 royally messed these guys up. First off, Knight variation. 343 decided that throwing electricity or some fancy glowing face stripes made these dudes distinguishable from one another. At least in past Halos I KNEW a badass Elite when I saw one due to stand out design and colors. There were multiple times in Halo 4 where I’d be deep into battle with Knights only to have one show up that looks just like all the rest, and blast me with a Binary Rifle or One Shot. There is no fun in an encounter when that happens. The only way you could really tell Knights apart was AFTER they had already shot at you. That is a horrible design oversight by 343, and I am simply baffled it made it into the final game. The Knights teleporting was also poorly executed. Ok, I can see this dude is about to teleport, let me line up my shot, wait no, the dude now possesses invincibility! I am worried about their implementation into the rest of the franchise, because they sure don't have the lasting power of the Covenant.

5. Lack of Feedback from Prometheans.

For me to love fighting an enemy, I have to feel like I am doing damage, or have done damage to them. The game has to make me feel that shooting at these guys has results. I shoot a Watcher, and it continues to fly gracefully around, barely flinching at my bullets. That is a problem that spreads to all enemies. You shoot them, but it’s like they’re not responding and nothing is happening. A Crawler will continue to Sprint full speed at you while you are pinging that sucker. The only feedback you get from a Knight is the faint blue glow the more you shoot it, and if you can even tell, its head bobbing when you’re shooting it in the face. At the end of the day, they just feel like bullet sponges, nothing more. This makes battles boring and uninteresting. At least the Covenant had awesome screams, blood splatters, reactions to bullets hitting them, bright shield pops, etc. I knew I was doing damage to them.

Now I will focus on purely on story elements.

I will just spoiler tag the whole damn thing since I will talk about Crytum, Primordium, and of course, Halo 4’s story. My spoilers regarding the books will be ones that tied directly into the game so they won’t ruin the books for you, that's not my goal. You may feel that some of this is nitpicky, but these are things that contributed to ruining my Halo 4 experience.

6. How 343 killed the mystery of Halo 4.

My roots as a Halo fan to this day lay within the Campaign and narrative. From the games, to the books and comics, I have taken in so much Halo fiction. For the most part, I really loved the Universe that had been created. When 343 took control of the series, we saw the creation of the Forerunner saga, with its intent on fleshing out the Forerunner backstory. As a Halo fan, the mystery of the Forerunners was always so intriguing, but I couldn’t hold back learning more about them, so I read Crytum and Primordium. These books dumped some huge revelations on us about the Ancient Human-Forerunner War, and really helped us learn about a Forerunner known as the Didact. 343 repeatedly stated that while they did want to tie all the fiction together, Halo 4 would stand on its own merits. The game wouldn’t require you to brush up on outside fiction to appreciate the story, everything would be self-contained. What a fat lie that was.

When I read that Halo 4 was going to be a self-contained story, I was very pleased. To me it meant that there would be great new fiction in the story, and mysteries to be uncovered, but at the same time some of those narrative strings from the books would shine through without be convoluted. This is where 343 failed. 343 used key plot points from the books as main narrative threads in Halo 4. The reveal of the Human-Forerunner war, the Didact, and the Composers purpose with Promethean Knights were HUGE parts of Halo 4. Any fan with an ounce of brain power who read Primordium would have made the connection of the Composer to the Promethean Knights. Any fan who read the books already knew of the war. Sure, I can be blamed for reading those books and spoiling myself, but ultimately it is a story telling failure on 343’s part. There was no “great mystery” in Halo 4’s story. The reuse of book fiction to such a great extend killed the mystery. Past Halo games were so fresh to play simply because I did not have a clue where they were heading. Revelations, new locations, twists, and new characters all felt fresh and wonderful to learn about.

7. 343’s failure to present the story well.

This will tie into my above statement pretty heavily. With the grand amount of fiction now established by the Forerunner Saga, and the Kilo-Five trilogy, one would think that Halo 4 would do a great job fleshing them out even more. I fully expected the narrative to live up to its touted self-contained function. 343 failed to present the story on multiple levels.

On a very basic level, Halo 4’s story would throw shit at you and expect you to understand. Let’s start with the Didact’s reveal. I’ll treat this like a fan who has only played the games. So how did a Forerunner survive the Halo effect? What the hell is that ball he is coming out of? Why is he the ONLY Forerunner left? Why does this dude despise humanity so much? And the last laughable thing, his name… don’t use the garbled Elite shit as an excuse for Cortana and Chief knowing it suddenly. I actually played back through to see if I had missed the revealing of his name, but I didn’t. If I hadn’t read the books I would be wondering all of these things. Why 343 chose to leave this backstory out of the main narrative and throw it aside to the terminals not even accessible in the game is beyond me. Requiem’s purpose and function were also a missed opportunity to get fleshed out. Halo CE taught me a nice lesson on what a Halo is and does, Halo 3 taught me about the Ark, Halo 4 should have done the same with Requiem. Oh yeah, and what were the Covenant's motivations?

Now the Spartan IVs. This new breed of Spartans which are first mentioned in the Kilo-Five trilogy have hardly a whisper spoken about them in Halo 4. Why weren’t questions being asked? Why wasn’t there a moment where Chief and Cortana at least acknowledged that there were suddenly the new Spartans around? Another plot point that would have benefited Halo 4’s story greatly got thrown aside. This would have been a great time to acknowledge the ethics of Halsey’s work and the creation of Chief in contrast to how they’re doing it now. Missed opportunity in my opinion.

The horrible presentation of the Didact. This was an absolute joke on 343’s part. From our initial encounter to the laughable QTE finale with him, 343 failed to make me care about the Didact. I enjoyed his character in the books and expected 343 to build on it. What we were left with was his initial awakening, fighting his floating ball, and the final anti-climatic battle with him. If you are going to give us villain, flesh him out. Make me truly understand why I should not like this dude. The Librarian was basically our only info dump, and that was handled poorly. The lack of interaction with our main antagonist brought the story down yet again. Didact should have had a much greater presence in the story other than residing in his Crytum.

The Librarian Scene. The unfortunate part is that this one scene presented most of Halo 4’s story. We learn about the Human-Forerunner war, The Composer’s purpose, what the Didact did with it, and how basically everything humanity has accomplished is not a result of their own greatness, but a result of the Librarian. This scene failed on a few levels. First off, it presented way too much info within a short time span. It presented the info in an extremely weird abstract cutscene for I don’t know what reason. The information presented lacked purpose. Ok, the Didact used the Composer to turn humans in his army, why? Shouldn’t have to turn to the terminals for that answer. Then the Librarian apparently does something to the Chief to make him immune to the Composer. All we see is some electrity like stuff surrounding him, then it is over. What exactly did she do to the Chief? This was an important event and all we hear is, “your bio readings are all over the place.”

The lack of care for Master Chief by others. I don't get why it is not until the very last cutscene of the game that we get merely a glimpse of this. After all, this dude did save the galaxy, and everyone did think he was dead for nearly 5 years. But what do we get in the game? Spartan IV’s that basically ignore his existence, a quirky one liner about how Palmer thought he’d be taller, and Lasky saying he never thought he’d see him again. Lasky’s line only really means something if you watched Forward Unto Dawn, so if you didn’t you’d be like, “who the hell is this guy?” Just another oversight by 343. Del Rio’s lack of respect for the Chief is also unnecessary. Chief didn’t earn any of the verbal abuse Del Rio dished out on him, and 343 certainly didn’t give any reason behind his hostility towards Chief. His character feels forced and simply there so that Chief can tell someone to fuck off. I figured 343 would have wanted to make Chief appear to others like the badass hero he really is, but that never shined though in the game.

How Chief and Cortana’s story took away from the greater narrative. I understand that 343 wanted to give Chief and Cortana a better story in Halo 4, and I think they did it wonderfully. The problem is that they allowed their story to take attention away from far more important aspects of the story. A story of this scale requires more time dedicated to all of its parts. I would have loved to see an equal amount of attention put into the larger scale story as that of their personal story.

So there is still a bunch of things I could touch on, but this post is already a term paper in length so I’ll just stop here. So you may wonder why after just one game I am considering abandoning the franchise. Well the answer is simple, lack of trust. 343 told me to trust them, so I did. I played the game, these are my feelings, and now they have lost my trust. How can I feel good about the future of the series when they’ve already managed to take away so much of what I loved about past Halos? I know PLENTY of you love the direction they are taking the series, and that great for you. I just do not agree with where they are taking this franchise and how they handled it on their first attempt.

So there it is, if you made it this far, congrats and thanks for reading.

I read the first few points. Did the thought that by locking you off from previous locations ever strike you as a technical decision? By stopping the player from going back the old environments don't need to be kept in memory? That definitely seems to be the reasoning in my mind. The toxic river, while it does stop you from going forward as you choose, also stops you from going backwards. Of course it's sucky but it felt like you didn't wonder why.

what a guy
Achievement whore, bro.

Cool, maybe sometime this weekend, thanks.
Weekend sounds good to me. Are you on the west coast?

Explosives not only increase your grenade damage they also reduce the damage you receive from grenades by 33%*.

*http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/12yc1m/halo_4_perks_spreadsheet/

In general, refer to the above Spreadsheet because it offers some solid insight.
Explosives + Resupply is my jam. Lovin it.

Regarding the spreadsheet, what exactly does the delay column mean? Delay for what?

On the level Reclaimer for example, I hijack a Wraith and want to drive it through the level instead of riding on the boring Mammoth. Well, too bad because TOXIC RIVERS will kill your ass unless you play the level like 343 intended.
Considering that there's an achievement for hijacking a Wraith and destroying other Wraiths with it, this is wrong. I got this achievement the other day hijacking the first Wraith in the level and I crossed the toxic water in the Wraith.

FyreWulff

I read the first few points. Did the thought that by locking you off from previous locations ever strike you as a technical decision? By stopping the player from going back the old environments don't need to be kept in memory? That definitely seems to be the reasoning in my mind. The toxic river, while it does stop you from going forward as you choose, also stops you from going backwards. Of course it's sucky but it felt like you didn't wonder why.

Yeah they've had to get more obvious with prohibiting backtracking due to having to work on Cores for the campaign. Halo 3 was very blatant about it, caves would disappear from existence behind you.

Versus Halo 1/2 Xbox where the guaranteed HDD being present meant they could just stream the previous parts of the level back in when you went backwards.

zap

Ugh, the insta death from the toxic rivers was so frustrating. I just don't understand the reasoning for them. There are better ways of trying to slow us down.

Omni

Read it all Poison. Good points; I agree on most things... If I wasn't on my phone I'd properly respond to the rest

Regarding the spreadsheet, what exactly does the delay column mean? Delay for what?

The Delay is how many seconds it takes for your shield to begin recharging. The Rate is how fast your shield goes from 0%-100% once it starts recharging.

v Oh right.. lol I subconsciously put "shield" because of how often I've explained that to people :b

The Delay is how many seconds it takes for your shield to begin recharging. The Rate is how fast your shield goes from 0%-100% once it starts recharging.
I was specifically talking about the Armor Abilities chart and column, but I guess the same principal applies. Don't know why I hadn't even considered that AAs have a recharge delay like shields.

From this:
BAM, statue of cortana
790EB0C5-737E-4E16-80A6-E66C8C5046D2-15599-00000EA1A9E51351.jpg

to this:

toy-halo-mcf-s4cortana-package.jpg

:'(

Omni

Thread moving slowly tonight.
From this:

to this:

toy-halo-mcf-s4cortana-package.jpg

:'(

Lmao.

I really wish we got credits or whatever for playing campaign. I was entirely surprised to see that commendations aren't included in campaign for some reason (Well aside from those 8 which require you to complete the levels on Legendary).

Challengers are decent, but still not enough. At launch I put in 15 hours into campaign and at the end of it was still SR-1. That's not right.

rakka

I've just realized team score is still based on number of kills. why the hell are we using the first to 600/1000 point system then? what the fuck? why can't it be simply first to 50/100 ie 1 point per kill, why over complicate things LOL

FyreWulff

I've just realized team score is still based on number of kills. why the hell are we using the first to 600/1000 point system then? what the fuck? why can't it be simply first to 50/100 ie 1 point per kill, why over complicate things LOL

Probably set up so they can have assists/whatever count towards the points and have it be apparent in the score.

Or "bigger numbers look better"

They give your personal score so that the BK's can feel good about themselves when they're doing horrible. ''Look, you got some shiny points and bars are filling up, it doesn't matter that you went negative 10! Here, some extra credits!''

rakka

Probably set up so they can have assists/whatever count towards the points and have it be apparent in the score.

Or "bigger numbers look better"
well as of now the teams total score is still just number of kills so first to whatever hundred or thousand is just stupid.

and so is the whole getting points for doing jack shit, fill up a meter, get your power weapon crap.

Nirvana

Thread moving slowly tonight.

Lmao.

I really wish we got credits or whatever for playing campaign. I was entirely surprised to see that commendations aren't included in campaign for some reason (Well aside from those 8 which require you to complete the levels on Legendary).

Challengers are decent, but still not enough. At launch I put in 15 hours into campaign and at the end of it was still SR-1. That's not right.

Yeah I second this, it definitely gives people less incentive to play it more. I guess at the end of the day I played through Halo 2's campaign upwards of 20 times, 10 of those on Legendary, with no achievements, commendations, credits, xp or any of that bullshit; at the end of the day I guess if the campaign is good enough I will replay it regardless. Halo 4's was pretty good, very good on Legendary, but likely only worth like 2 more Heroic playthroughs.

Mindwipe

The Didacts heel turn has really never made sense to me. I know there is some reasoning for it, and I expect to get more in Silentium, but it'll have to be very good to pull it off.

Oh man that book cover is terrible.

Now that the forerunners/ prometheans etc have all been seen I wonder if Greg bear will do a better job with descriptions. I really don't know if I can force myself through another halo novel by him If everything is so hard to visualise and badly written.

JB1981

I am not far into the campaign but yea I think the Prometheans are kind of bad enemies. Visually I like them but they are not good successors to the Covenant or Brutes, even. They Knights are definitely bullet sponges. The Crawlers, though, are an easy one shot to the face with the Boltshot. It took me a while to realize this but it's true. Just a single fire to their head and they disintegrate instantly.

I am not far into the campaign but yea I think the Prometheans are kind of bad enemies. Visually I like them but they are not good successors to the Covenant or Brutes, even. They Knights are definitely bullet sponges. The Crawlers, though, are an easy one shot to the face with the Boltshot. It took me a while to realize this but it's true. Just a single fire to their head and they disintegrate instantly.

*Cough* grunts *cough*
Crawlers are my favourite of the three, but Crawler Snipers are a bad idea.

Considering that there's an achievement for hijacking a Wraith and destroying other Wraiths with it, this is wrong. I got this achievement the other day hijacking the first Wraith in the level and I crossed the toxic water in the Wraith.
No. He's right. The only way you can have a wraith after the river he's talking about is if you get it onto the mammoth early on before 343 closes the doors on it permanently. Even then, when the mammoth crosses the river, it can still die if the kill box touches it •inside the mammoth•.

He's not wrong. You can only use the wraith up to a certain point. Then later in the level you can jack a new one.

On a lighter note, I snagged one of the two (2) copies of Max Payne 3 that my Kmart store had. Yeeeaaah boy.

Flipyap

Oh man that book cover is terrible.

Now that the forerunners/ prometheans etc have all been seen I wonder if Greg bear will do a better job with descriptions. I really don't know if I can force myself through another halo novel by him If everything is so hard to visualise and badly written.
I'd love to read some detailed descriptions of their space segways, stupid skull/bunny ear helmets, or their robots' monster faces.

In hindsight, the new Forerunner tech is best left not described. That only makes them seem dumber.

Arnie

They're definitely worse than Brutes, which says it all.

Was the most disappointing aspect of the campaign, to me. The Promethean grenade is also worse than the spike grenade, somehow.

*Cough* grunts *cough*
Crawlers are my favourite of the three, but Crawler Snipers are a bad idea.

My issue with the crawlers is you can't see what weapon they have by looking at their model. Makes it hard to assess which ones in the swarm are the most dangerous. Also having the swarming enemy type have binary rifles is stupid.

rakka

the sniper looks horrendous in 4. sounds wierd, and they changed the visual recoil to one that's a lot more interfering, when zoomed/scoped it's very cluttered and fucking blue on the outside. overall a less satisfying experience and mostly confusing. flinch really sucks as well.

and snipers game type has radar, wtf.

m23

Completed the game on legendary solo last night. I got much more enjoyment out of the game on legendary even though I enjoyed it on Heroic already. Tougher enemies forced me to explore the environments more to find flanking positions that I never knew were there on Heroic difficulty. Other than mission 6, I really enjoyed the campaign favorite missions being 3, 5 and 7. Still have to do a 4 player coop run through.

Sucks to see others not enjoying the game like myself though.

seems odd 343 hasn't really mentioned a release date for the DLC yet. really hope it doesn't get pushed back :/

anyways happy thanksgiving to US HaloGAF!

TheOddOne

First I want to talk about Campaign design, mission design, and enemy design.
Just to balance it out.

Level and mission design

While certainly I agree that there are no levels as big and open as The Ark or The Covenant, the level design in Halo 4 is for most part really excellent. Now by that I mean level layout and not structure of the mission design. The sections in Forerunner, Reclaimer, Shutdown and Shutdown for example are exceptionably built and even inspired. In certain areas you can really notice that they wanted to make it bigger but something was holding them back; my guess would be the outdated hardware and the bump in fidelity. Drawbacks that in hindsight was always going to cramp the game. I am not worried about that aspect for future games, those guys can certainly create levels.

The problem with the game is not the levels, but the mission design and objectives behind them. Yes, you do spent a lot of time pressing buttons; but that isn’t really the big thing that makes the campaign tiring, it is the sense of urgency. Do this, do that and act fast is what really kills it. Halo’s before it also had that, but they never felt like they were pushing you this much. There was always the sense that you were in control of the pace. With Halo 4 it feels lost, that balance feels now that you are being held too much. Looking back at Halo 3’s The Ark and The Covenant, the missions had multiple objectives yet it barely (or even none?) markers that said what to do. That all gave the impression of freedom, while you were actually subtly being led.

With the pace being gone, you really start to notice how repetitive the objectives are while every Halo before also had the same objectives repeated verbatim. Here is where is where the design also fault, it took tons of objectives from the older games but never felt like the designers made their own spin on it. It feels like a sloppy cut-and-paste job, that sounds really harsh but this seemed like the perfect place to add some new objectives to the rotation. Pushing buttons and three-way objectives where done perfectly fine in Halo 4, but the amount was certainly a problem. There was nothing wrong with them, but more variety would certainly help. This is something that can change and I like to believe that 343 designers acknowledge that.

Prometheans

I feel that the Prometheans are fantastic additions to the sandbox, but I feel they also have limited them to certain extent. With the Covenant you could fight them any way you wanted, with any weapon and it all felt effective. There was also no set pattern to defeat them, you could mix it up like. With Prometheans, to effectively combat them you had to learn which ones to take out first. The Watchers first (so they can’t respawn Knights) , then the Crawlers and finally the Knights. This rigid structure is what kills the fun, the inability to kill them on their own merits. If that makes some kind of sense. It also doesn’t mesh very well with the 30 seconds of fun matra, feels more like an rigid learn or die routine. However I never really had any problems fighting them though, if I failed I always tried to find a strategy to defeat them more effectively.

Yeah, there is a distinct lack of feedback from the Prometheans. With the Covenant, they all reacted at every shot you took at them but with Prometheans you don’t have it. Yes, the Watchers fly away when you shoot them, the Crawlers go down when you beat them and the Knights phase out when they are in danger. However it is not enough, every shot needs to have an effect. In light of all that, the Knights are really awesome to fight against. Especially when you figure out how bait them, shoot ‘em with the Suppressor and finishing them with the Scattershot. There is ton of room for improvement in the enemy department, but doesn’t seem like too much of lost cause. There is something there, but it really needs to be reworked to some extent.

Story and “Mystery”

Yes, the fractured storytelling is really a huge problem in Halo 4. I know somebody will kill me for this (Be gentle with me Flipyap), but take account the whole story from the Terminals, Spartan Ops (thus far) and the main campaign and I say it is one of the more appealing game stories thus far. I loved that they went in this direction and should be praised for taking such risks. There were always awesome stories in the Halo universe, but they were always stuck behind other obscure things. They were often grander then what we were playing. Now that it has been brought to the foreground is freaking amazing. The subjects they explore are far and beyond anything I expected them to do in a game. There is some cheese, but for me I felt it was minimal.

AI rampancy, death, reflection, war crimes and politics in this one contained story already? I really like where this is going. From all the criticism that game gets for keeping if safe, the story direction is nothing but safe and biggest step the game has taken. I can’t shy away that 343 has done a terrible job of highlighting one the best things about the campaign. It is really a shame that such a great story is buried and scattered like it’s nothing. For future games, never do this again. Burry smaller story bits in terminals, but not huge aspects that are integral to the main story.

I kind of baffled by your points though about mystery, Poision. You knew going in that The Kilo-five and Forerunner trilogy would directly tie in Halo 4, seeing as you are a fan you would know way more than an average gamer going in. Is that really the fault of 343 as you claim? Any outside casual gamer would be confused by the story, no doubt, but you could argue that they did it to simplify the story. If you read many comments after people have finished the game: what happened at moment x, why did person a hate person b etc. Which bred a lot of discussion, more so then Halo stories before.

Intentional? Yeah, I think so. That sense of vagueness was also apparent in the first Halo. You can’t show your full hand in the first game, you have keep people guessing. That is certainly one way to look at it. You can’t expect to have every answer given to you right off the bat, which reading your complaints it is what you expected. Which is kind of funny considering you didn’t get enough answers but argue that the “mystery” is gone. It feels like much of the outside stuff not relating to Cortana and Chief had taken a backseat in this game, now the question is will the story setups play a pivotal role in the sequels? Time will tell.

Also, the skybox thing strikes me as a really bizarre thing to say. Like disregarding the fantastic locations, but being overly harsh at a skybox you see for one level. Another observation is that it feel like you went in to the game with full on hype, believing every little thing 343 said and now you burned yourself without objectively looking at what they were saying. Never ever believe PR hype, always look with a skeptical eye. They are out to sell you a game, they will say anything to do it. Remember Invasion vidoc for Reach? Yeah.

I know people are going to go all “Odd is Team Slurp leader”, but I genially think people are downplaying some of the finer aspects of the game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The skyboxes are really, really disappointing, but I can't say I'm surprised.

The extra juice for native 720p and FXAA had to come from somewhere.

Top Bottom