• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

JB1981

Does dexterity also give you a movement boost? I was just playing Dominion with dexterity/mobility combo and I felt like I was moving much faster

DeadNames

Banned
Does dexterity also give you a movement boost? I was just playing Dominion with dexterity/mobility combo and I felt like I was moving much faster

I don't think it does.

On the topic of it, dexterity is WAY OP. I hope 343 is willing to remove certain guns from loadouts (DMR, PV, camo, etc).

MrDaravon

BTB is awful

If you're going in by yourself or with only one or two other people sure. With 5+ people it's pretty good though. Honestly we still have such crazy problems with team balance in the smaller playlists though (matches consistently start 5v4, and it never fills out the 5th slot which often costs us the match) that we usually just stick to BTB to avoid it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Look before you leap.

Pay more attention to your hit markers than your red reticle.

Radar range is limited, always proceed with caution.

Things like that?

Nah I think he means this:

Left stick to move

Right stick to aim

Right trigger to shoot.

Back to basics baby

Fracas

#fuckonami
I prefer the mess that is Reach's BTB (hell, even Heavies. Not counting Cragmire) compared to the personal ordnance and vehicle filled clusterfuck that is Halo 4's BTB Infinity Slayer.

Don't get me wrong, they're both terrible lol.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't know... Reach's BTB was actually okay.
vomitn5s59.gif

I mean... I too enjoyed playing Hemmorhage for the 50th time in a row while players betrayed each other for the only sniper on THAT side of the map.

Does anyone else miss having BTB maps that were actually open? I feel like Halo 4's BTB maps are just claustrophobic clusterfucks expanded over a larger area. It's because of the DMR and everything sure, but I wish there was a way to balance it and get some big open maps back (like Sandtrap or Avalanche) without having to worry about getting pinged across the map like in Reach.

Computron

^ lol, yes.

--------

Here are some 1080p pics of my Halo 2 Foundation remake fresh from the theater mode.

The maps is called Groundwork and I would like some help setting up spawns/weapons/gametypes.
(I haven't bothered to brush off the old manual)
I still need to flesh out the corner rooms too.

If your interested, catch me anytime I am online on my GamerTag: Vlad356

Click and hold image to expand up to 1080p:

irCPvTYiTdbRc.jpg

ibtszfNqkiw8RM.jpg

irMiRaQQgAWVx.jpg

ixnqRsRiCB7Ds.jpg

ibg0O9N7JmYy4x.jpg

ibcN9XOvdTT0kQ.jpg

ibu2JR9X3JYRbx.jpg

ibuvLK8Tskchos.jpg

iegDcscfxBUcJ.jpg

ikvPVkoxZ2X6.jpg

iWST8WI0e9o8R.jpg

ijRI74kiuYDGw.jpg

iVLOPA2G30o5k.jpg

iHHU1TfwrzAQ8.jpg

iLJyV3U9ylasi.jpg

isiwNR3FB8CaJ.jpg

ibehK118aTclJt.jpg

DeadNames

Banned
Nice work dude. The map actually looks like a map and not gray gray gray!

Sandtrap would be defaced with the monstrosity of the DMR.

Am I the only one that loves Abandon?

After watching Bravo's Abandon video I like it more. I wouldn't say I love it, but I certainly like it more than things like Sword Base, Epitaph, Snowbound and The Map That Shall Not Be Named.

Apparently.

Somehow the skills from every other FPS in history simply do not translate to this game for me. I lose every fucking firefight, I get frustrated immediately. Just not fun.

I was abysmal at this game for the first 10 days. At this point I feel like I've graduated to "mediocre'. Some things I have learned that may or may not help you:

1. When coming out of sprint in Halo 4 there is a brief moment during which you cannot shoot. I was aware of this while it was happening, but would somehow forget it while I was sprinting. So I would sprint into an encounter, try to shoot, realize my mistake, then get 3 or 4 shots off before realizing I was once again going to lose an easy 1v1 because I allowed myself to forfeit the first shot or two. Be smarter about sprinting.

2. In Infinity modes you are better off sitting back and letting points pile up. It's stupid and awful, but that's the best way to play the game. If you get aggressive at all you end up giving opponents personal ordnance which just puts your team deeper into the hole.

3. For whatever reason, there are many more games in Halo 4 (vs. Reach or Halo3) during which my bullets don't have any effect on the guy that I am shooting. This may be imagined, it may be a result of no longer having bloom to blame for missed shots (very doubtful in certain cases), or it may be because Halo 4's hit detection isn't as good as Reach's. Whatever the case, when I notice this happening I switch to the BR and try to stay as close to a teammate as possible so that I am always team-shooting with someone who has bullets that work. It doesn't help the K/D but you will rack up a shit ton of assists.

4. If you are feeling particularly bad about your performance, go into King of the Hill with a full team and just use Grenadier and Explosives. Spawn, throw 3 x Frags into the enemy team's hill, get some hill time, die, rinse, and repeat. After a few 20-10-10 games you'll feel much better.

Rev3rb

Here are some 1080p pics of my Halo 2 Foundation remake fresh from the theater mode.

The maps is called Groundwork and I would like some help setting up spawns/weapons/gametypes.
(I haven't bothered to brush off the old manual)
I still need to flesh out the corner rooms too.

If your interested, catch me anytime I am online on my GamerTag: Vlad356

Forge maps look so much better now. Damn.

I was abysmal at this game for the first 10 days. At this point I feel like I've graduated to "mediocre'. Some things I have learned that may or may not help you:

1. When coming out of sprint in Halo 4 there is a brief moment during which you cannot shoot. I was aware of this while it was happening, but would somehow forget it while I was sprinting. So I would sprint into an encounter, try to shoot, realize my mistake, then get 3 or 4 shots off before realizing I was once again going to lose an easy 1v1 because I allowed myself to forfeit the first shot or two. Be smarter about sprinting.

2. In Infinity modes you are better off sitting back and letting points pile up. It's stupid and awful, but that's the best way to play the game. If you get aggressive at all you end up giving opponents personal ordnance which just puts your team deeper into the hole.

3. For whatever reason, there are many more games in Halo 4 (vs. Reach or Halo3) during which my bullets don't have any effect on the guy that I am shooting. This may be imagined, it may be a result of no longer having bloom to blame for missed shots (very doubtful in certain cases), or it may be because Halo 4's hit detection isn't as good as Reach's. Whatever the case, when I notice this happening I switch to the BR and try to stay as close to a teammate as possible so that I am always team-shooting with someone who has bullets that work. It doesn't help the K/D but you will rack up a shit ton of assists.

4. If you are feeling particularly bad about your performance, go into King of the Hill with a full team and just use Grenadier and Explosives. Spawn, throw 3 x Frags into the enemy team's hill, get some hill time, die, rinse, and repeat. After a few 20-10-10 games you'll feel much better.

I definitely suffer from 2 and 3.

Thanks, but I don't know how much more I can play this game. I get on, play mediocre, and get frustrated/want to get off almost immediately.

I definitely suffer from 2 and 3.

Thanks, but I don't know how much more I can play this game. I get on, play mediocre, and get frustrated/want to get off almost immediately.

In the case of #2, I would just not play Infinity anymore. The game became a lot more fun when I switched to a diet of mostly Oddball, King, CTF, and Dominion.

As for #3, most of my games are ok now, but when I start to see things like not even getting an assist after putting 2 or 3 shots into a guy that a teammate kills, I know it's time to switch to Grenadier-Explosives.

Ramirez

From my experience, the game isn't kind to mixed parties of skill levels. Nothing the game can really do about it, but it seems like I'm regularly matched up against a full team of try hards, when I only have 1-2 try hards on my team. :(

rakka

fuck this. seems like nearly every match prioritizes skill rather than good connection. don't mind a skill based match but holy shit, nearly every swat game I play, my headshot kill comes almost a second after I shoot them, therefore no matter how insanely accurate and quick i am i unusually end up being killed during that brief window where i shoot and the headshot registers. had a LOT less laggy games with reach and i have a decent connection by Australian standards. on top of that in general halo 4s hit detection seems pretty shit anyway.

Rev3rb

Actually no, I figured instead of doing drive by short posts about what I don't like, I'd just let it all out and be done with it. People asked for no more RIP Halo posts, so they are going to get what they want. 2,800 words about to be dropped on HaloGAF.

wat.

That's my last 6 page essay.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Actually no, I figured instead of doing drive by short posts about what I don't like, I'd just let it all out and be done with it. People asked for no more RIP Halo posts, so they are going to get what they want. 2,800 words about to be dropped on HaloGAF.

Well thanks for the warning I guess

Tempted on the blue UNCS shirt, but shipping kinda kills the deal. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Yea I really like those. I might just get both red and blue. Hmmmmmmmmmm

JackHerer

I actually got excited when I saw "FFA throwback" but that disappeared when I saw that it's only oddball and KoTH. They really need to just replace Regicide with FFA slayer.

FyreWulff

I miss the little icon that tells you how much 'sprint' you have left.

Well, not even that, the breathing cues to let you know you were almost out of sprint and depleted are gone too. And you can't hear people sprinting because that's gone.

There's a lot of things in Halo 4 that don't have a sound attached to them for some reason. Like the SPOPS drop pods.

Also, finally got hit by a loadout wipe. That was annoying.

Well, not even that, the breathing cues to let you know you were almost out of sprint and depleted are gone too. And you can't hear people sprinting because that's gone.

There's a lot of things in Halo 4 that don't have a sound attached to them for some reason. Like the SPOPS drop pods.

I always found that breathing audio an interesting mechanic in Reach. Sprint and loose stealth, walk or crouch and get some stealth drop on your enemies. It was also hella useful for hearing rapidly approaching enemies or teams that travel in packs too. Even further it was useful against objective rushers.

Striker

WHy would they reduce Haven weights ? People like this map so let's give it to them less often ???
You'll be given more opportunities to get awful maps like Complex and Abandon, neither of which are suited for CTF at all, and are both messes in other team objective based games.

People select Ragnarok because one, they know its layout, and two, it's littered with tons of vehicles and power weapons. Easy kills.

FyreWulff

I always found that breathing audio an interesting mechanic in Reach. Sprint and loose stealth, walk or crouch and get some stealth drop on your enemies. It was also hella useful for hearing rapidly approaching enemies or teams that travel in packs too. Especially with objective rushers.

It was. Bungie had neat little "tells" like throughout their last Halo games like that. So I'd avoid using sprint while in a base so they wouldn't hear me.

Another tell that was neat was how the OS/Camo would go BWOP if you respawned near them to tell you they were there.

rakka

Also, finally got hit by a loadout wipe. That was annoying.

being shot at by a ghost in mp I've noticed is almost silent. god damn, 343. changed so many of the sounds just for the sake of change and even didn't do it properly

Top Bottom