• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

After playing all the multiplayer maps multiple times I'm surprised people who played the game early said Adrift was their least favorite map. It easily makes my top 5 favorite maps in regular infinity slayer....;)

But seriously, I do like Adrift.

GhaleonEB

Is the amount of XP awarded not actually correlated to the amount you earn? I'm noticing games will tell me I earn one amount, and then I close the gap to the next rank by a lot more than that. I just did a partial Spartan Ops mission, and got ~800 XP. I then advanced ~2200 XP toward the next rank....

Havok

Is the amount of XP awarded not actually correlated to the amount you earn? I'm noticing games will tell me I earn one amount, and then I close the gap to the next rank by a lot more than that. I just did a partial Spartan Ops mission, and got ~800 XP. I then advanced ~2200 XP toward the next rank....
It doesn't seem to count Challenges or Commendations in the postgame screen, but they contribute toward the bar moving animation.

Why not? Who knows.

m23

Played through Episode 1 of Spartan Ops with a friend, online was buttery smooth. Much better than I expected, not a hint of lag through any of the chapters. Really enjoyed it, but the additions of medals and scoring would increase replayability by a ton.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Fun games tonight, guys. Although I'll say that I have now realized that this game gets less fun the more players are in a match. 6v6 gets pretty bad (Dominion) while 8v8 (BTB) is just awful.

Slows the game down about as much as armor lock. And it's just really annoying to fight.

Really slows down the game. It more or less does the same the AL did by saving someones life until a team mate comes to kill you.

i5riIlge8s4qP.gif

Merguson

Banned
I liked the Flood when they appeared in those three-way battles in Halo 1. Those battles were present in Halo 2 but that game sucked the fun out of the campaign so it didn't matter. Other than that, they weren't fun to fight against at all.

Give me the Prometheans over the Flood every time.

Yeah, that's the one. And it starts out with a cheap trigger: you can clear a few Crawlers, but no more, from the high point. You have to jump down, at which point two Watchers and a huge pack of Crawlers instantly spawn in and you have no good sight lines. I've only gotten a few minutes into it, three times, before stopping.

Yup and yup.
You just have to power through it, it's a horrible mission. I can't see any feasible way it can be done with no deaths, and where it spawns you after your eventual demise is right in the middle of a shitstorm. Repeatedly. It took me over 20 minutes on my solo Legendary run, and those bastards started using Binary Rifles towards the end. Good luck.

KOTH is the best playlist.
Most fun I've had so far was in that playlist.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I liked the Flood when they appeared in those three-way battles in Halo 1. Those battles were present in Halo 2 but that game sucked the fun out of the campaign so it didn't matter. Other than that, they weren't fun to fight against at all.

Give me the Prometheans any day over the Flood.
Yup. Well, I mean it's hard to argue that it's more fun fighting enemies with little-to-no AI instead of ones that have some competence.

If we get more Flood in the next Halo, I want new forms that act at little more ruthless and as galaxy-consuming as they're billed to be.

http://i.minus.com/i5riIlge8s4qP.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Lol, it's true! I mean, yeah, you can throw a grenade at the guy if you have one. But that also means you have to waste a grenade to kill a dude who should have been dead in the first place, wait for the shield to disappear, or it buys the user just enough time to have a teammate kill you. It's just a cheap way for someone to live a bit longer and frustrate you. Of course it's not quite as bad as armor lock, but it really shouldn't be in the game.

That being said, I don't think it's the most frustrating armor ability in the game.

Why are the servers still kicking my party out of searching saying "network difficulties".
It only seems to happen in a few playlists...
It's been a week :(.
Public beta next time please!

Why I love GAF.
You just have to power through it, it's a horrible mission. I can't see any feasible way it can be done with no deaths, and where it spawns you after your eventual demise is right in the middle of a shitstorm. Repeatedly. It took me over 20 minutes on my solo Legendary run, and those bastards started using Binary Rifles towards the end. Good luck.

It really is a terrible mission. Really odd considering how well put together the rest of them are.

heckfu

Banned
I know my opinion is probably invalid because of the nature of what I'm about to say doesn't fall in line with the rest of gaf, but that campaign is EASILY my favorite of the series.

It has great encounters, great vehicle areas, and the on-rails section (as it were) was perfect. I have a couple gripes I'll get into with a longer, more focused post, but since I literally just finished I wanted to drop my thoughts in.

(and the emotion, it got me)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lol, it's true! I mean, yeah, you can throw a grenade at the guy if you have one. But that also means you have to waste a grenade to kill a dude who should have been dead in the first place, wait for the shield to disappear, or it buys the user just enough time to have a teammate kill you. It's just a cheap way for someone to live a bit longer and frustrate you. Of course it's not quite as bad as armor lock, but it really shouldn't be in the game.

That being said, I don't think it's the most frustrating armor ability in the game.

Oh please. They're sitting ducks if they use it wrong. And if they use it correctly it has the same effect as Sprint and Thrust

That is how I feel after you ignored all of my invites today.

<3

GhaleonEB

FLOOD CHARGE

FLOOD SMASH

CRAWLER WAVE

Clearing the third mission of Spartan Ops sealed it for me a short while ago. At one point I had six or seven Watchers hovering over me, Crawlers all over the place. Fighting Flood did get old. And it was occasionally tedious. But it was never as awful as what I just played.

Prologue

Haven is my favorite map as well. Seems to have the fluidness of lockout. Get that guy to make more maps

The other 4v4 maps look depressing. Too much brown! Seems like the BTB maps got the most color.

CRAWLER WAVE

Clearing the third mission of Spartan Ops sealed it for me a short while ago. At one point I had six or seven Watchers hovering over me, Crawlers all over the place. Fighting Flood did get old. And it was occasionally tedious. But it was never as awful as what I just played.
Are you playing Spartan Ops solo? Because it came apparent to me very quickly the mode wasn't designed for that, at least on the higher difficulty levels. If there were checkpoints, Spartan Ops would be damn near impossible to solo on Legendary.

That's probably my big disappointment with the mode, since the consensus is that it's too easy with 4 players.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
CRAWLER WAVE

Get ready for more of the same on the fourth mission. I just played it, and it's only a little better. I might not even bother with Spartan Ops after this week, unless I can find some people to LAN it with, which would be awesome.

Edit : Whoa, I didn't know Spartan Ops had matchmaking! How did I miss that, haha. I'll give it a few tries and see if the netcode is as bad as what I've experienced before. What difficulty is SpOps matchmaking? I didn't get a chance to select a difficulty...?

GhaleonEB

Are you playing Spartan Ops solo? Because it came apparent to me very quickly the mode wasn't designed for that, at least on the higher difficulty levels. If there were checkpoints, Spartan Ops would be damn near impossible to solo on Legendary.

That's probably my big disappointment with the mode, since the consensus is that it's too easy with 4 players.
Yeah I'm going solo. It is pretty overwhelming. I just wish part of the challenge wasn't reinforcements spawning all around me.

Get ready for more of the same on the fourth mission. I just played it, and it's only a little better. I might not even bother with Spartan Ops after this week, unless I can find some people to LAN it with, which would be awesome.

Yeah, it wasn't as bad, but still wasn't a lot of fun. At least the mission was a bit more directed, with mission 3 it was a small area with hoards of respawning Watcher and Crawlers...and nothing else.

Mission 5 doesn't do anything fancy, but ends the episode on a stronger note. They're really going to have to find ways to remix combat with the Prometheans to keep it interesting, fighting the same three enemies is going to get old quick.

Omni

Banshees and ghosts on the third level of Halo 4 can suck my dick. Sooo annoying.

Nonetheless, just got the achievement for not dropping the UNSC weapon during the level. That brings my GS to 750/1000. Just have to do the coop, several mission specific and SO and then I'll have the 1000.

CRAWLER WAVE

Are you playing it solo? You know SpOps is designed for 4 players, right?

Derp, just read above.

Well I played it coop and it was enjoyable, then I played it solo for the achievement, and it sucked.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, just went into SpOps matchmaking, and it was 95% smooth! And I guess it's Legendary only? Works for me.

Edit : Except the matches end in five minutes. It's way too easy with four people. It'd be cool if 343 let us choose how many people we'd like to be matched with.

Edit 2 : Oh wait, matchmaking is Heroic, not Legendary. They should bump it up for sure.

Omni

I did all 5 chapters SpOps solo on Legendary and I thought it was great. They weren't kidding when they said the chapters take 15mins either... Finishing around the 14-16min mark by myself.

I wish they would have kept no Friendly Fire a universal thing. I just got booted from Dominion because team mates running in front of my wraith. Is booting really even necessary with JIP? Take Friendly Fire out of all playlists and removing booting.

I'd take a guess and say the majority of people being booted aren't legitimately griefing the person anyways.

Ken

I wish they would have kept no Friendly Fire a universal thing. I just got booted from Dominion because team mates running in front of my wraith. Is booting really even necessary with JIP? Take Friendly Fire out of all playlists and removing booting.

I'd take a guess and say the majority of people being booted aren't legitimately griefing the person anyways.

Friendly fire off should be mandatory in playlists with a large amount of players and vehicles.

Makes little sense in 4v4 playlists though.

Wasn't playin' too hot earlier today, decided to change my control scheme to Fishstick because of Cod Hype.

First Game.

i1yTaqsp5s3O1.png

Felt good. Felt right. Fun.

Just had an epic Ghost chase. Back and forth, me and him neck and neck. I get the upper hand though by him flipping over. He pulls out a plasma pistol and EMPs and kills me. Now it's got me wonder why the fuck there are even vehicles.

CRAWLER WAVE

Take the high ground. You can re-arm there and control the hordes better.

heckfu

Banned
I seriously can't wait to go through campaign again co-op with Tunavi.

Can't quit thinking about how good it was. Legendary co-op should be a blast!

ITT: Gamers preaching what they think is right for the future of Halo 4 as if it's the word of the fucking Precursors and demanding tweaks and updates based on their experience of a few nights.

Top Bottom