• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

GhaleonEB

Daaaaaaaaamn

dat some hate

I've started and quit mission 3 of Spartan Ops three times over the course of the day. Waves of crawlers is pure tedium. At least Flood were satisfying to take out and there was some variety in doing so. Pretty much every fight with Prometheans plays out the same way.

Waves of Crawlers is the least fun combat in the series; Buggers were more fun, IMO.

ElRenoRaven

Flood >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Prometheans

Someone after my own heart. I liked the Crawlers and can tolerate the Knights. But once you add the watchers it just becomes an annoying mess of an encounter. I wouldn't mind seeing them return but only if the AI is vastly improved and less scripted and the watchers are sent back to the drawing board. That's my biggest issue with the Prometheans.

I actually liked fighting the Flood. Felt right somehow, the Prometheans just feel... halfhearted.
Not even close. Halo 2 pre-patch was, without a doubt, some of thee worst experiences that I've ever had playing Halo. Nothing like FFA SMG starts on Colossus which lasted a whole 8 minutes with the winner barely cracking the double digit mark in kills primarily as a result of the wretched pre-patch weapon sandbox. And don't even get me started on TS SMG starts on Coagulation.

Halo 4 is by no means perfect, but the "out of the box" MP component is still the best in the series as far as I'm concerned and it will only continue to get better as the game evolves over time.

Well then, all these issues in H4 can be fixed if they fixed that. But will they?

willow ve

I've started and quit mission 3 of Spartan Ops three times over the course of the day. Waves of crawlers is pure tedium. At least Flood were satisfying to take out and there was some variety in doing so. Pretty much every fight with Prometheans plays out the same way.

Waves of Crawlers is the least fun combat in the series; Buggers were more fun, IMO.

Throughout the campaign I had a great sense of dread. I kept thinking "oh shit, are there going to be Buggers in this next segment?"

malfcn

Tonight is fucking stupid. Last night I was dominating people. Now it's like my guns go pew-pew and they all go boooom.

2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-Michael-What-No-no-no-no-arrested-development-7915781-300-167.gif

ElRenoRaven

I actually liked fighting the Flood. Felt right somehow, the Prometheans just feel... halfhearted.

That's exactly how I feel. They really come off like a halfhearted cross between the space pirates in Metroid prime and the pure combat forms in Halo 3. Combine that with the really awful AI and it's just a mess. I just really feel that whoever handled the AI in the game dropped the ball hugely. I'll have to organize my thoughts and might post real thoughts tomorrow both positive and negative.

I'm in the process of reevaluating my opinion on Halo 3's campaign by replaying it right now (although fuck this Etch A Sketch aiming I swear to Christ), but CE's Flood were just loads of fun. Starting a chain reaction of popcorn explosions with a single AR bullet was great, the way the Carrier forms would blow up and toss everything in the vicinity around them was fun, and the mindless zombies were okay to mow down with a shotgun in moderation.

The Prom Knights are just kind of annoying, especially with a Watcher around. My ammo just tanks when one spawns the other then requires more shots after shields being knocked down and blah. Teleporters with invincibility frames are just irritating to deal with.

ElRenoRaven

I'm in the process of reevaluating my opinion on Halo 3's campaign by replaying it right now (although fuck this Etch A Sketch aiming I swear to Christ), but CE's Flood were just loads of fun. Starting a chain reaction of popcorn explosions with a single AR bullet was great, the way the Carrier forms would blow up and toss everything in the vicinity around them was fun, and the mindless zombies were okay to mow down with a shotgun in moderation.

The Prom Knights are just kind of annoying, especially with a Watcher around. My ammo just tanks when one spawns the other then requires more shots after shields being knocked down and blah. Teleporters with invincibility frames are just irritating to deal with.

Yup. I loved Halo 1's flood and even Halo 2's flood. Halo 3's flood were good except the pure forms. Those would have been ok except the fact that it seemed every time I came across them I never had a good long range weapon.

Pop

Why did everyone slrp the frame rate n the games smoothness so hard pre release? Did it change in between or does gaf bend over that easy for a couple 343 stickers n hats?

Stop playing BTB noob.

I'm experiencing zero framerate issues outside of BTB. Occasionally dips in BTB for a sec but nothing that would warrant all of you crying about it. I'm starting to believe you guys here just like complaining. MLG showed that H4 is leaps and bounds greater then Reach. But you all continued to play that well after the fact it was terrible(Reach Beta).

Yup. I loved Halo 1's flood and even Halo 2's flood. Halo 3's flood were good except the pure forms. Those would have been ok except the fact that it seemed every time I came across them I never had a good long range weapon.

Brute Shot is the best for Ranged Forms. Also, tote a Flamethrower everywhere you go for Tank and Stalkers. Energy Sword for close range against Combat Forms.

willow ve

Did I miss something, or was there a huge outrage when BlackOps2 announced that would have livestreaming straight from the game to YouTube...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/08/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-youtube-livestreaming/

Call of Duty: Black Ops II player live streams will be viewable on YouTube via web browsers, mobile and tablets through Call of Duty Elite as well as individual YouTube user channels.

The 360 and the PS3 will be able to livestream, natively, while gaming...
There was also mention that voice chat and webcam support is built in as well.

MrBig

If you're just sitting back and pumping bullets at them with a rifle as you would an Elite yeah. They just require you to use different tactics to deal with them effectively.

Get up close, toss a prom grenade or plasma at them, then put a few shots into their head. Or a take a couple shots from a scattershot/shotgun, or use a binary rifle, or use an overcharged Boltshot from one of the crawlers that always accompany them. Definitely save the knights for last in an encounter, kill any crawlers and watchers that are about.

I find them much more interesting and challenging than the cov in H4. Certainly much better than the flood ever were.

heckfu

Banned
After all we learned from Armor Lock, how did something like the Hardlight Shield make it through? I'm so fucking frustrated over that AA.

Lol is GAF Dissing on Promies over for Flood? Wut. I've played countless times against Flood A.I. in past Halos and they're abit boring. Ontop of their weaknesses they're easy.

But facing against Promeathan A.I. are a pain and more satisfying to defeat in comparison. What made the Flood somewhat interesting to fight are the many variants of Flood forms, their trademark sounds and the atmosphere they present in every level. Prometheans are somewhat the same but instead lack variety.

GhaleonEB

Yeah. Before the Prometheans were revealed, 343 talked about how they were working to create new enemies who worked together in interesting ways on the battlefield. And you cans see how they did that with the Prometheans.

But the problem is, there's an absolute hierarchy to target. The Watchers 1) catch grenades, 2) regenerate Knights and 3) spawn Crawlers. Therefore:

217534009_hZ5oD-L-2.jpg

Always. On every encounter, no matter what.

Then it's a matter of clearing straggling Crawlers or plugging enough damage into Knights to move on.

Bungie had that kind of relationship in the Halo games, with the leader mentality of the squads. Kill an Elite, and sometimes the Grunts assigned to them fled. But not always! Sometimes they charged. Sometimes they busted out suicide grenades and came running. And the fact that they behaved this way did not mean it was always better to take Elites out first. Sometimes it was better to pick off the lower threats so you're not distracted going one on one with that final Elite. There was no "right" way to take them out.

Likewise with the Flood. You could use the Carriers as portable bombs, detonating fallen grenades, popping packs of Infection forms, or killing Combat forms. You could choose to ignore the Infection forms until you cleared out the real, huge threats. Or mix it up, depending on the encounter and situation. Again, no "correct" way to fight them, and there was an interplay between the forms.

With the Prometheans, there's an order at play. SHOOT THE WATCHER FIRST, why would you NOT ever do that? I never once saw their grenade tossing ability, since I saw that during the E3 video and it was made clear you should kill them first. Toss in their other abilities, and it's downright fooling to do otherwise. And there's not a reaction from the other enemies, that I could tell, to their types getting taken out, as with the Covenant. Just a hierarchy to whittle down.

And worst of all, the Prometheans showed their bag of tricks in the first encounter. It was a great fight: was scrambling for weapons, flanking like mad, using the auto sentry as a distraction. That first Promethean fight was a highlight of the Campaign.

But then the next fight played out the same way. And the next. And the next...and the only things that really changed were the sheer volume of Crawlers in the mix. It grew tedious as the Campaign progressed, and the last mission felt like a complete chore, since there was nothing new on the table at that point.

So arriving at a Spartan Ops mission where it opens with two huge waves of Crawlers is a real turn off. And only served to remind me how tired I got of them in Campaign.

Blueblur1

Is that the one that takes place outside in a snowy area? I absolutely hated that one. The Watchers were a constant annoyance and the game spawned me in front of all the Watchers and Crawlers over and over again. It was by far the worst piece of single player Halo content I have ever played.

And while I don't hate the Prometheans they are disappointing. There's only one way to handle every encounter: Kill the Watchers, then Crawlers, and finally the Knights. They aren't as fun to fight as the Covenant are. And unfortunately, the Covenant are tamer and lamer than ever. I miss their Reach AI.

Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, buff the Light Rifle.

I want to love this gun :(
I don't think you can buff it without making it invalidate the other precision weapons. As it stands it already has the benefit of a three shot burst out of scope, and scoped it has the lowest shots per kill. The downside being that it's not hitscan and comes with the inconsistent leading that comes with that.

If you're just sitting back and pumping bullets at them with a rifle as you would an Elite yeah. They just require you to use different tactics to deal with them effectively.

Get up close, toss a prom grenade or plasma at them, then put a few shots into their head. Or a take a couple shots from a scattershot/shotgun, or use a binary rifle, or use an overcharged Boltshot from one of the crawlers that always accompany them. Definitely save the knights for last in an encounter, kill any crawlers and watchers that are about.

I find them much more interesting and challenging than the cov in H4.
I mean, if I have a power weapon and am already close to them then they go down without a hitch. There's a hierarchy of enemies I prioritize to take down in an encounter but sometimes I'll have to switch it up depending on positioning. Spawning a Watcher already takes down my ammo some, and even after knocking down the shields I'll need to use some more. I guess the emphasis is using automatics if you're not close to power weapons, but I just don't find it fun or interesting to engage or take them down regardless of the tactic. I do blame the teleporting a bit on that, it just feels like a lame denial.

Stop playing BTB noob.

I'm experiencing zero framerate issues outside of BTB. Occasionally dips in BTB for a sec but nothing that would warrant all of you crying about it. I'm starting to believe you guys here just like complaining. MLG showed that H4 is leaps and bounds greater then Reach. But you all continued to play that well after the fact it was terrible(Reach Beta).

Its not even all BTB mang.

Go watch my rebroadcast and you can see.

Every map has framerate issues.

Also, anything below 30fps IS a framerate issue, if were actually talking about having a good game.

Thats not what I'm talking about though, I experience sketchy animation and framerate issues on every map.

If I didn't have so little time I'd compile a video of it...

Chig

So SpOps net code is still like H3 and Reach Firefight/Campaign?

I'm about to start episode 1 tomorrow, and if it is, looks like i'll be doing it solo.

MrDaravon

I have honestly seen no framedrops in BTB, and I play BTB 75% of the time. And before today, I had only seen lag in a single match. I have no idea why there seem to be such disparate accounts of the online; some people are reporting horrible lag and framedrops all week, and some people nothing. It's bizarre.

I have seen some minor framerate drops in Dominion once or twice though, but I haven't played that mode a lot so I couldn't say if it was consistent or not.

MrBig

I have honestly seen no framedrops in BTB, and I play BTB 75% of the time. And before today, I had only seen lag in a single match. I have no idea why there seem to be such disparate accounts of the online; some people are reporting horrible lag and framedrops all week, and some people nothing. It's bizarre.

I have seen some minor framerate drops in Dominion once or twice though, but I haven't played that mode a lot so I couldn't say if it was consistent or not.

Yeah, I've only had framerate problems on a few Dominion matches.

It may actually be network dependent problems?

GhaleonEB

Is that the one that takes place outside in a snowy area? I absolutely hated that one. The Watchers were a constant annoyance and the game spawned me in front of all the Watchers and Crawlers over and over again. It was by far the worst piece of single player Halo content I have ever played.
Yeah, that's the one. And it starts out with a cheap trigger: you can clear a few Crawlers, but no more, from the high point. You have to jump down, at which point two Watchers and a huge pack of Crawlers instantly spawn in and you have no good sight lines. I've only gotten a few minutes into it, three times, before stopping.

And while I don't hate the Prometheans they are disappointing. There's only one way to handle every encounter: Kill the Watchers, then Crawlers, and finally the Knights. They aren't as fun to fight as the Covenant are. And unfortunately, the Covenant are tamer and lamer than ever. I miss their Reach AI.
Yup and yup.

MrDaravon

I must be the only one here who does not have lag with Spartan Ops 4 player co-op.

And see, MP has been completely smooth for me (until today), but campaign co-op and Spartan Ops is totally unplayable for me online. It's really baffling.

Trey

Fuck outta here. Buggers were terrible, spastic, boring enemies that didn't deserve the light of day. They always came in swarms and brought no depth to the enemy ranks. They were just there to fly around like assholes.

Crawlers at least serve a variety of roles and have interplay with the watchers. Yeah, a shit load of them appear, but they serve as general infantry, aggressors who chase you out of cover, and snipers. They move in a predictable manner. They carry weapons you actually want to use.

I understand it's your opinion, but buggers are easily the worst enemy in all of Halo.

Pop

Its not even all BTB mang.

Go watch my rebroadcast and you can see.

Every map has framerate issues.

Also, anything below 30fps IS a framerate issue, if were actually talking about having a good game.

Thats not what I'm talking about though, I experience sketchy animation and framerate issues on every map.

If I didn't have so little time I'd compile a video of it...

Right...

GhaleonEB

Fuck outta here.

I hated fighting Buggers! But at least they were used sparingly. Wading through waves of Crawlers and Watchers? I was longing for a Bugger pack. At least they were fun to headshot in Reach.

Edit: to be clear, it was a slight exaggeration for effect. I was saying, I grew so tired of fighting Prometheans I would have welcomed a Bugger pack for variety.

I hated fighting Buggers! But at least they were used sparingly. Wading through waves of Crawlers and Watchers? I was longing for a Bugger pack. At least they were fun to headshot in Reach.

But Crawlers blow up too! And they make similar high-pitched screeching noises!

Does anyone vote for something other than Complex and Haven?
I vote for Adrift whenever it comes up, my favorite map so far.

Havok

So uh, folks who want to get the most of their DXP might want to play some Spartan Ops matchmaking. Land Grab takes about 8 minutes with just one other person if you know the routes, and you get like 12k XP as opposed to the 5-6k you'd get in MP.

Pop

IDK maybe were still in the first week of launch. IDK maybe we should give it some time for playlist updates, like weekly *cough cough*. Just maybe there's new maps coming out next month.

Full of whiners here.

IDK maybe were still in the first week of launch. IDK maybe we should give it some time for playlist updates, like weekly *cough cough*. Just maybe there's new maps coming out next month.

Full of whiners here.

We're complaining about the issues that are currently present, things that are poor and need to be addressed in title and playlist updates, things that new maps won't fix.

This isn't whining, this is feedback.

Top Bottom