• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4iX

I'd argue that point and say the did a piss-poor job of making a Halo game, but a great job at making a game.
Their systems broke so much of what worked about halo in major underlying areas.

At it's core, I think it's decent. Maybe one step above Reach when looking at the starting weapon, implementation of the AAs, and giving power weapons just enough power.

What makes it shitty is instant respawn, a one shot kill starting secondary, no static weapon spawns, an unbelievably short weapon decay rate, and giving people camo and the HLS as an AA instead of keeping the Camo and OS power ups.

All other Halo fans need not apply. Certainly there's no way no other fans could have anything worthwhile to say.

Look at the dip in population bro.

Halo attempting to steal CoD's fanbase didn't work with Reach, and it fell on its face in H4.

It's in the same vein as Valve going to 1.6 and CSS players to give input on CS:GO or Nether Realm going to MK9 players to give input on Injustice.

Dirtbag

At it's core, I think it's decent. Maybe one step above Reach when looking at the starting weapon, implementation of the AAs, and giving power weapons just enough power.

What makes it shitty is instant respawn, a one shot kill starting secondary, no static weapon spawns, an unbelievably short weapon decay rate, and giving people camo and the HLS as an AA instead of keeping the Camo and OS power ups.

And loadouts destroying vehicle ussage with PP and sticky starts
And the ENTIRE perk system creating an inconsistent experience.
And none of the custom options to play without these changes.

Reach's biggest mistake was bloom since it added randomness to gunbattles where trigger spam might result in a faster kill then a timed kill.

JHall

He works at MS again now as a creative director on something. Hopefully it is Halo 5.

I saw Microsoft created a new Studio called "Black Tusk Studios" and apparently they are suppose to design and make the new "Halo" for the next Xbox.

I have a feeling he's there.

I saw Microsoft created a new Studio called "Black Tusk Studios" and apparently they are suppose to design and make the new "Halo" for the next Xbox.

No, that studio is in Vancouver. According to his LinkedIn he's at a studio in Redmond.

Just to clear this up. Black Tusk are making a new AAA(A?) title not another Halo Game

IHaveIce

Banned
Just to clear this up. Black Tusk are making a new AAA(A?) title not another Halo Game

yeah but didn't they also say they experiment with Kinect for this game?

I don't think big titles will work with Kinect requirement, but who knows what the next box can pull of.

Maybe I'm wrong and it was a different studio who said this

Halo attempting to steal CoD's fanbase didn't work with Reach, and it fell on its face in H4.

It's in the same vein as Valve going to 1.6 and CSS players to give input on CS:GO or Nether Realm going to MK9 players to give input on Injustice.

First off, I'm not a bro. Secondly, although I started Halo MP with Halo 2, I consider myself a Halo 3 girl through and through, so I would've been excluded by your community feedback, even though I think I have more than demonstrated that I recognize and understand the fundamental problems with Halo 4's multiplayer from your perspective. Though my forte is more campaign.

As much as you'd like it to be that way, Halo 1 and Halo 2 fans do not have a be all, end all say on what makes a Halo game a Halo game. Even between those games there are A LOT of differences. Halo means a lot of things to a lot of people. A person who first played Halo multiplayer in Reach and liked it is as much of a fan of Halo as you are.

You can't just exclude large segments of the population and automatically deem them more wrong than another, much as you might disagree with them.

Ah ok, thanks.

Yeah something else cool about that, is the timeframe he joined, matches up with the time a couple of notable people from Irrational and Naughty Dog joined MS. Hopefully a new studio working on something really big, if he isn't at 343. Although there's no mention of 343 on Howard's page or any of the other pages for those devs. We'll probably no something after E3 I would imagine.

Arnie

First off, I'm not a bro. Secondly, although I started Halo MP with Halo 2, I consider myself a Halo 3 girl through and through, so I would've been excluded by your community feedback, even though I think I have more than demonstrated that I recognize and understand the fundamental problems with Halo 4's multiplayer from your perspective. Though my forte is more campaign.

As much as you'd like it to be that way, Halo 1 and Halo 2 fans do not have a be all, end all say on what makes a Halo game a Halo game. Even within those two games there are A LOT of differences. Halo means a lot of things to a lot of people. A person who first play Halo multiplayer in Reach and liked it is as much of a fan of Halo as you are.

You can't just exclude large segments of the population and automatically deem them more wrong than another, much as you might disagree with them.

I agree.

My Halo playtime focussed on Halo 3, because around the time that Halo 2 was popular I played Counterstrike and Battlefield 2 on the PC. I still believe I more than understand the problems with Halo 4, and the Halo franchise as it currently exists, and what needs to be done to return it to what it once was.

I understand multiplayer systems, and I understand Halo multiplayer. I did not play Halo:CE competitively.

u4iX

As much as you'd like it to be that way, Halo 1 and Halo 2 fans do not have a be all, end all say on what makes a Halo game a Halo game. Even between those games there are A LOT of differences. Halo means a lot of things to a lot of people. A person who first played Halo multiplayer in Reach and liked it is as much of a fan of Halo as you are.

RIP AlienShogun.

Conor 419

Banned
Game needs dedicated servers before a server browser. Game needs a hundred things before it needs a server browser.

Get matchmaking right before introducing a server browser.

Server Browser + Dedicated Server combo would single handedly fix more issues with this series than anything you could possible name. But sorry, I'm sure the lack of campaign scoring, emblem customisation and '1080p' are right up there with your supreme visions as to why Halo 4 has failed.

----

Personally, I'd actually advocate the separation of Halo's single player and multiplayer, with the next Halo multiplayer title being the ONLY title to be released in the next 10-15 years, which is like TF2, supported continually by cosmetic micro-transactions and updates. Continue releasing the trilogy campaigns as budget titles over those years.

Of course Microsoft wont do that, because they'd much rather split the fanbase on a year to year basis, largely because they're stupid.

It's a leap to suggest that a 'classic' Halo game would have sold more of had a higher population than Reach did. Halo 3 was significantly behind COD4 by the end of 2008 (1 year post release) and continued dropping precipitously when MW2 came out. It was clear at that point we were witnessing the rise of one phenomenon and the decline of another, for no other reason than people were ready for something different.

The fact was, Reach (or whatever hypothetical Halo game released in it's place in 2010), was going up against a brand at the height of it's power, and it wasn't going to have the population numbers that Halo was used to.

It's an even bigger leap to suggest that Reach was an attempt to take COD's fanbase since Reach and COD have almost nothing in common. Longer kill times, the only class customization is one armor ability (all of which are available without any leveling), weapons spawn on the map, leveling system is for aesthetics only, ranking system is tied to both matches played AND skill tiers, etc.

Halo 4 is a clear attempt at drinking COD's milkshake, yes, not Reach.

u4iX

It's a leap to suggest that a 'classic' Halo game would have sold more of had a higher population than Reach did. Halo 3 was significantly behind COD4 by the end of 2008 (1 year post release) and continued dropping precipitously when MW2 came out. It was clear at that point we were witnessing the rise of one phenomenon and the decline of another, for no other reason than people were ready for something different.

The fact was, Reach (or whatever hypothetical Halo game released in it's place in 2010), was going up against a brand at the height of it's power, and it wasn't going to have the population numbers that Halo was used to.

It's an even bigger leap to suggest that Reach was an attempt to take COD's fanbase since Reach and COD have almost nothing in common. Longer kill times, the only class customization is one armor ability (all of which are available without any leveling), weapons spawn on the map, leveling system is for aesthetics only, ranking system is tied to both matches played AND skill tiers, etc.

Halo 4 is a clear attempt at drinking COD's milkshake, yes, not Reach.

I'm not saying it would have sold more or held a higher population, I'm saying it wouldn't have mattered if they made a classic Halo or a new Halo.

It all would have been right around the same.

rakka

Played Halo 4 split-screen yesterday with a friends. Seriously the framerate is unacceptable for a Halo game. Looking at anything that isn't a wall on Complex in splitscreen leads to a powerpoint presentation.

splitscreen feels like such an afterthought in halo 4 it may as well not be in the game.

horrible framerate drops in pretty much half of the maps, especially complex or big team maps. reticules not being scaled down, you can kiss accuracy goodbye with precision weapons. tiny all caps killfeed and scoreboard is a chore to read (even in fullscreen but much worse when splitscreen), enemy elevation indicators on radar is next to impossible to make out even on a 46" HDTV. list goes on.

for all the hate reach gets at least bungie gave a shit about giving us a decent splitscreen experience.

Nazgul11

As much shit as I (and a lot of people) have given Bungie over the years, it would definitely be interesting to see Destiny come out and prove everyone wrong.

FyreWulff

Server Browser + Dedicated Server combo would single handedly fix more issues with this series than anything you could possible name. But sorry, I'm sure the lack of campaign scoring, emblem customisation and '1080p' are right up there with your supreme visions as to why Halo 4 has failed.

----

Personally, I'd actually advocate the separation of Halo's single player and multiplayer, with the next Halo multiplayer title being the ONLY title to be released in the next 10-15 years, which is like TF2, supported continually by cosmetic micro-transactions and updates. Continue releasing the trilogy campaigns as budget titles over those years.

Of course Microsoft wont do that, because they'd much rather split the fanbase on a year to year basis, largely because they're stupid.

I'd be more convinced of MS being able to do a TF2 style Halo if they could even pull off updating a Halo after the next one came out. So far, Halos have always stopped recieving updates months before the next one came out and then they just drift forever.

They really need to have a Legacy Sustain Team, a group of 2 or 3 guys and gals who's entire job is updating 3/Reach, then 4 after the next Halo comes out, etc.

Kuroyume

Banned
Well if you want to know what their new year's resolutions are you're not going to hear it from their lips since they don't talk.

SPECULATE

You people argue too much as if there can't be a medium between what you want out of a Halo game. Competitive players want Halo 1, campaign players want Halo 1, so what's the problem? ;b Halo 1 is the true answer.

lol but seriously, I'd be interested to have an annual Halo multiplayer release, while Master Chief's story continues every 2+ years.

Fuchsdh

That's one thing I never understood why they added an inertia effect to the Spartans strafe.

Halo 2 had the best movement. Halo CE was a little sluggish when it came to jumping.

After playing Reach and Halo 4, going back to Halo 2 makes you feel like you're in Unreal Tournament's Ghost Mode.

TheOddOne

Yeah something else cool about that, is the timeframe he joined, matches up with the time a couple of notable people from Irrational and Naughty Dog joined MS. Hopefully a new studio working on something really big, if he isn't at 343. Although there's no mention of 343 on Howard's page or any of the other pages for those devs. We'll probably no something after E3 I would imagine.
Him being Creative Director could either mean he is working with an internal team (which means it will be a while before we see the game), an external third party developer (giving vision, liaison between developer and publisher) or he is just overseeing current projects and planning more project for the future.

It's cool, I am sure Frankie will comment on the salt levels of the thread any moment now.
iKL0Ve9cwjG4O.gif

Arnie

:lol

You couldn't be more wrong, which is some feat.

I'd actually put a server browser alongside things like emblem customisation, as a nice luxury to have, but in terms of prioritising, it's not what's going to make Halo play like Halo again. Nor is it going to improve the competitive experience. And I don't mean 'competitive' as in the high level, upper echelons of players, I mean in terms of casual players matching with casual players, instead of dropping into a game with experienced players who're just going to destroy them.

Server browsers do afford many novel things; as I said I used to play PC games almost exclusively in the early noughties, so I've experienced them. They allow sub-communities of players to develop, and they also offer these communities the ability to tailor the game to their preference. These things would be nice in Halo, especially for custom games, but you're making a far bigger deal out of this than it really deserves. Learn to walk before you can run, get the standard matchmaking experience in place before you throw this feature in.

It also needs pointing out that a ranking system as we know it in the franchise wouldn't work with a server browser, thus making it very much a social experience. If players aren't matched on skill, you can't rank them on skill, and have to stick to an experience system like we already have (something that's very much an issue).

Look at Starcraft 2, or DOTA 2, do they predominantly use server browsers to facilitate multiplayer activity? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom