• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
I got my Halo Wars General achievement.

2shod.jpg

I just want to say thank you fuck you, to the person which was in charge for this terrible achievement. Thanks!

This was an actual achievement?! @_@ Holy shit.

edit: I didn't play this game, so I have to ask: was this an actual "rank" thing or just a "grind it out" thing (like gaining EXP)?
edit #2: I'm reading that that particular achievement is unlocked after playing an average of 1,000 games. lol wow.

Danny 117

edit: I didn't play this game, so I have to ask: was this an actual "rank" thing or just a "grind it out" thing (like gaining EXP)?

Basically grinding it out. I got General in December of 2009 and still play the game religiously because I think it's fun. I think I've earned general 5 times over at this stage. They lowered the requirements for general significantly in a patch post release so it wasn't that time consuming.

EDIT:
Lol.

People stopped playing Halo because Reach and 4 are bad Halo games.

People don't want armor abilities and complicated, saturated sandboxes. People want consistently fun, simple combat. Reach and 4 do not have this.

Reach looks like fucking classic Halo in comparison to 4 despite having way more powerful armor abilities.

Complicated, saturated sandboxes? In Reach? The game with the least redundant weapon sandbox since CE? smh sir

I know this sounds shallow, but the ghosting in Reach was atrocious and completely turned me off to the game. Halo 3 was vibrant and colorful, buttery smooth with beautiful lighting. Reach looks like an English cable access program from the late 70's.

I know this sounds shallow, but the ghosting in Reach was atrocious and completely turned me off to the game. Halo 3 was vibrant and colorful, buttery smooth with beautiful lighting. Reach looks like an English cable access program from the late 70's.
I'm switching back and forth quite a bit, and really the only visual aspect I find annoying in Reach is the ghosting on the radar, it's very noticeable. Some of the first-person gun animations were atrocious in the beta, but I think that was actually a glitch and they were fixed in the final release. Halo 4 definitely has a crisper look, but in some ways still doesn't read as clearly in Reach. The shield flare in Reach seems much more pronounced for shot feedback, while the hit markers in 4 are quite subtle and can often blend in with the background or get lost in the various graphical special effects.

Akai__

edit #2: I'm reading that that particular achievement is unlocked after playing an average of 1,000 games. lol wow.

If you and your partner are boosting, it will take each of you ~30 games. Such a shitty achievement... Nearly no one is doing this legit.

FyreWulff

If you and your partner are boosting, it will take each of you ~30 games. Such a shitty achievement... Nearly no one is doing this legit.

Yeah, it's the last achievement for Wars for me.. totally possible to get, but I can just never get around to doing it.

Also still have Legend left for Halo 2 PC, but that was because

- I don't have a working CD anymore, and now i need to see if i wrote the cd key down anywhere
- the freaking bullshit where it'd randomly decide your checkpoint was no longer valid for achievements, so you pretty much had to do the entire level in one go to guarantee that it'd be valid for the achievement, then reinstalling loses your progress.. fuck

Worst one is Anniversary for me. I've just straight up never finished Anniversary, I don't even remember what achievements I actually have

Fuchsdh

Yeah, it's the last achievement for Wars for me.. totally possible to get, but I can just never get around to doing it.

Also still have Legend left for Halo 2 PC, but that was because

- I don't have a working CD anymore, and now i need to see if i wrote the cd key down anywhere
- the freaking bullshit where it'd randomly decide your checkpoint was no longer valid for achievements, so you pretty much had to do the entire level in one go to guarantee that it'd be valid for the achievement, then reinstalling loses your progress.. fuck

Worst one is Anniversary for me. I've just straight up never finished Anniversary, I don't even remember what achievements I actually have

Anniversary achievements were incredibly easy. Hell, if you play "Pillar of Autumn" on Legendary with a dummy controller you could get 6-8 achievements to pop.

Or are you referring to the Reach Anniversary multi ones? Most difficult one for me was the Infection one, because with Anniversary Infection you basically had to be the only one to infect other players since there was an 8-player count.

Still got to get someone to help me grind Halo Wars, and I've been finding co-op Legendary to be the hardest of all Halos. :\ Otherwise I've 100% Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

Just played a game on adrift where both my teammate and I entered the mancannon one after another. One of use made the jump the other didn't.

The game also ended with black screen after black screen.

J10

Banned
What do you think they changed in the networking that black-screening happens so often now? I noticed it happening in games even when people weren't leaving and joining.

Which map had the two man cannons on either side of a pit and if two people went across on each end they'd run into each other and fall down the pit?

Fuchsdh

Doubt there will be scarabs :/

Broadswords are definitely going to be on one of the levels though.

Narrows?

Was I the only person who really wanted Longswords to make a return? Or at least shortswords, which we'd already seen? The Broadswords look too much like modern jets (and the Pelican cockpits look too much like Soviet helicopters, but that's another issue.)

ElRenoRaven

So later if anyone wants to do all the current episodes of Spartan Ops on legendary just let me know. Might as well knock all of those out on legendary. lol

FyreWulff

Anniversary achievements were incredibly easy. Hell, if you play "Pillar of Autumn" on Legendary with a dummy controller you could get 6-8 achievements to pop.

Or are you referring to the Reach Anniversary multi ones? Most difficult one for me was the Infection one, because with Anniversary Infection you basically had to be the only one to infect other players since there was an 8-player count.

Still got to get someone to help me grind Halo Wars, and I've been finding co-op Legendary to be the hardest of all Halos. :\ Otherwise I've 100% Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

Anniversary the game. I have all of Reach's DLC achievements, but not all of Reach's achievements. The later FF score ones I'm still waiting to do legit, and the Monument to All Your Sins I'm saving as the last achievement I get for Reach..

Blueblur1

Uh, according to the in-game playlist menu there are only 952 people playing Halo 4 right now. And there are 0 people in Infinity Challenge CTF, Crimson DLC, Flood and Team Regicide.

Blueblur1

I just tried signing in and out. I see still the ultra low pop hoppers. Do I have to to turn my box off and on to play with the regular population?

The ghosting in the Reach beta was horrible. I didn't mind the ghosting in the final game. Didn't even notice it tbh.

Played Halo 4 split-screen yesterday with a friends. Seriously the framerate is unacceptable for a Halo game. Looking at anything that isn't a wall on Complex in splitscreen leads to a powerpoint presentation.

Dirtbag

If you remove all the layers of garbage from Halo 4 you still end up with no sprint zero bloom Halo Reach. The impression I am getting is that you'll be satisfied with this.
Needs alot of work to get to that point. Personal/Global Ordinance being the biggest one that comes to mind. Then you'd be looking at maps all designed with universal sprint in mind, so maps all on the 5vs5, 6vs6 and up side. It's not really cut and dry.

u4iX

Turns out I complain about the game far less if I'm not playing it. I just got done with a quick game of MM and all I wanted to do was vent all my frustration here.

After the game was finished, just to salt the wound, I was unable to back out of the lobby and thrown into a JiP game.

Rough times for Halo.

Dirtbag

Halo 3 movement isn't very good. It's very sloppy and slow.

Halo CE and Halo 2 had the best movement. It was crisp, clean, and fluid.

It's been too long since I've played any of those three to remember what the movement felt like, but I do remember thinking Reach felt the worst of them all. Reach movement was the very definition of sloppy and sluggish. Jumping felt horrible.

I like the movement in 4 alot.

JHall

It's been too long since I've played any of those three to remember what the movement felt like, but I do remember thinking Reach felt the worst of them all. Reach movement was the very definition of sloppy and sluggish. Jumping felt horrible.

That's one thing I never understood why they added an inertia effect to the Spartans strafe.

Halo 2 had the best movement. Halo CE was a little sluggish when it came to jumping.

Honestly a Halo 2/Halo 1 hybrid would be awesome.

-BR
-No fall damage
-Quick Movement and strafe speed
-Centered Reticle
-Wide FOV
-Pistol on maps as "power" weapon

I could go on...

you move so slow if you're not sprinting. sooooo slowwwww

u4iX

Honestly, if 343 doesn't go to the community and fans who've been around since Halo 1 and 2 to fix their game, they'll be doing a disservice to the entire community; speaking mainly from a multiplayer aspect.

I've played two matches in a row where the winning strategy was to never leave the side of your other 3 teammates and just run around to the world ordnance huddled in a ball.

I want THC to do a humpday challenged with 343 and their default gametypes of IS, CTF, Oddball, KOTH, and SWAT so we can show them how easy it is to abuse their game and the mechanics in it.

I don't mean this as a message of hate or anything like that either, I truly think 343 needs their eyes to be opened to how easy it is for people who've been around Halo for a decade to break their game and its mechanics.

I'm sorry, but if you ship a game with the Boltshot as a starting option, you're in dire need of a reevaluation of your game testing. The Model 1887's in MW2 were patched within about 2 weeks, just for a frame of reference.

Also, 343 didn't do a bad job making a Halo game, but they did do a bad job of testing what was missing from their game, what bugs existed in the custom options, and what could easily be abused in matchmaking.

The tag set containing the weapons has been built into each .map since CE. Either a Global Tag weapon tag that overrides the weapon Tag's in each map (not sure if possible) or patching of the maps with an updated tag set would be required I know you can do something like this on a pc using a PPF patch I think a special coded version for use on a xbox could work maybe.

Otherwise it means redownloading all the maps.

Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong anyone

You're right. With what little knowledge we had about 343 Fyrewulf's assumptions were correct. Megalo works for somethings but is not the best solution. Plus, we didn't really even know what all they were capable of changing with it until the TU.

Dirtbag

Also, 343 didn't do a bad job making a Halo game, but they did do a bad job of testing what was missing from their game, what bugs existed in the custom options, and what could easily be abused in matchmaking.

I'd argue that point and say the did a piss-poor job of making a Halo game, but a great job at making a game.
Their systems broke so much of what worked about halo in major underlying areas.

Honestly, if 343 doesn't go to the community and fans who've been around since Halo 1 and 2 to fix their game, they'll be doing a disservice to the entire community; speaking mainly from a multiplayer aspect.
All other Halo fans need not apply. Certainly there's no way no other fans could have anything worthwhile to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom