• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kinda funny to me that people seem to be fine that their physical games won't be BC, but the downloadables absolutely must be.

I didnt say i have no problem with a lack if BC. Im hoping for physical BC, no point in having 2 consoles set up. Your missing the point though. Lets say worst case scenario eventually they shut down the 360 servers like the OG xbox. What happens when i need to redownload my games? Tough shit? Thats if theres no BC of course...

I didnt say i have no problem with a lack if BC. Im hoping for physical BC, no point in having 2 consoles set up. Your missing the point though. Lets say worst case scenario eventually they shut down the 360 servers like the OG xbox. What happens when i need to redownload my games? Tough shit? Thats if theres no BC of course...
I didn't mean to imply that it was you specifically, it just seems to be a sentiment that I see that physical BC is take it or leave it, but the stuff attached to the account just needs to transfer over for some reason.

If you have a small hard drive and can't keep everything on it I can see the concern with the future, but if that's not the case I see it as any other physical item. If my hard drive dies, I guess I just don't own that stuff anymore.

I didn't mean to imply that it was you specifically, it just seems to be a sentiment that I see that physical BC is take it or leave it, but the stuff attached to the account just needs to transfer over for some reason.

If you have a small hard drive and can't keep everything on it I can see the concern with the future, but if that's not the case I see it as any other physical item. If my hard drive dies, I guess I just don't own that stuff anymore.

People feel they are above that risk though. Its one of the implied benefits of DD. You're right though, someone snaps a disc and they accept it. Their digitally owned items not available anymore? There will be a shitstorm.

Personally I will be pissed if my digital games dont transfer over. Seems to be a irrational worry, but it is Microsoft at the end of the day.

J10

Banned
I don't need backwards compatibility. I burn through games quickly and often. I'm always on to the next one.

16GB is overkill for a console and too expensive at this point. The majority of PCs are using 4GB and less. Shit, I have 16GB in the computer I'm typing from now, I've yet to locate a game that actually makes use of it.[/URL]

I understand it for now but I want them to loss lead on the hardware again because this console will release late this year so within the next 1-3 years it has to be up to that standard.

Then factor in a 3-9 year lifecycle and this console either has to be a beast up front or have hardware upgrades AKA PC upgrades.

I don't need backwards compatibility. I burn through games quickly and often. I'm always on to the next one.

I wouldn't say I burn through them quickly, but when I buy a game, I start it, then I finish it. There's no stopping in the middle or impulse buys and "play it when I have the time". I have no backlog. I have no regrets. Backwards compatibility isn't a concern of mine, nor is failing. When I set out for a mission, I intend to complete it, no matter what other game stands in my way. Good AI? Haven't met one game that can stop me yet. I am EagleBurn and I ball hard.

How do i see my overall kills/deaths with each weapon? cant seem to find it on waypoint? Or can you only do it per playlist?
You can't, which is probably the first thing I want to see when I look at a stats page.

There is no organization and consistency to what stats are available to the user, it appears they just picked random things that the user can see. It's terrible.
Dev units usually have double the amount of RAM compared with retail units.

Nobody here should be expecting 8. If those specs are accurate, the retail unit will have 4.
Yeah considering dedicated and specific RAM for consoles is different than your general RAM for a computer, 4 GB will be real nice. 360 has 512 MB for Christ sake!

SSD vs HDD is interesting. SSD would be great for performance, but I want the 720 to come with a giant hard drive for hopefully day one digital downloads for all full games as well as at retail.

Off topic, but I've been having connection issues and I need some assistance.

So I changed ISPs recently, it was super slow before and my NAT was strict no matter what I did to my router. The new ISP is a lot better, here is my speed and stuff right now,

the problem is I keep getting disconnected and randomly lagging like crazy. I had a netgear router from the ISP connected to the modem. It was slow so I had them come in and look at it. The guy said I shouldn't even need a router because the modem has one built in. So I took out the modem. Then he said the modem was bad, so he went and got another one. He changed that out and that is what I am currently using. Unfortunately the lag and disconnecting is still happening. Anyone who understands this stuff have any tips/advice?

Fuchsdh

I put this in the other specs thread but thought I'd post it here since it's being discussed.

I'd prefer to see:

1. 16Gb memory in this HD age & future-proofing

2. SSD over large HDD for performance

3. Potential dual network ports using an aggregate system, stream or download a movie while playing an online game, provide bridging systems for other entertainment devices or mobiles/tablets or also provide an aggregate stream system as many ISP's support this. You could even use one port for streaming or one for hosting or both for gameplay etc.

4. Multiple screen support so coop on the same console could be done without splitscreen. So many players own multiple screen these days why not suppot two or more monitors to handle two players each with their own controller and screen? Or be able to up the game resolution and split a single player game across 2/3/4 monitors?

5. Streaming built in e.g. YouTube rendering from any game, voice/screen streaming for live game streaming to Twitch or a new XBL service etc.

That's just some ideas but so far the rumours are looking really tame in terms of deliverable features. I hope they get creative and more is released away from these specifications only rumours.

I'm also hoping for vastly improved AI, physics, interactive elements, procedural mechanics and more. If developers use the new resources just for graphics then it's fail big time. We need more developer resources spent on key game elements like AI, physics etc. Game worlds that are always on developing, interacting and generally using the hardware resources for more intelligent features than just larger redraw distances and higher Levels of Details (LOD) systems.

Most sounds good to me, especially the part about spending more resources on non-graphics-related elements.

Imagine a true battlefield in Halo. We're talking dozens and dozens of characters on screen you have to wade through--the Silent Cartographer Beach Assault x20.

You can't, which is probably the first thing I want to see when I look at a stats page.

There is no organization and consistency to what stats are available to the user, it appears they just picked random things that the user can see. It's terrible.

Yeah considering dedicated and specific RAM for consoles is different than your general RAM for a computer, 4 GB will be real nice. 360 has 512 MB for Christ sake!

SSD vs HDD is interesting. SSD would be great for performance, but I want the 720 to come with a giant hard drive for hopefully day one digital downloads for all full games as well as at retail.

Why not a fusion drive like new Macs and some other computers? Pack in a 32/64/128 GB SSD on top of a 250GB+ HDD?

Off topic, but I've been having connection issues and I need some assistance.

So I changed ISPs recently, it was super slow before and my NAT was strict no matter what I did to my router. The new ISP is a lot better, here is my speed and stuff right now,

the problem is I keep getting disconnected and randomly lagging like crazy. I had a netgear router from the ISP connected to the modem. It was slow so I had them come in and look at it. The guy said I shouldn't even need a router because the modem has one built in. So I took out the modem. Then he said the modem was bad, so he went and got another one. He changed that out and that is what I am currently using. Unfortunately the lag and disconnecting is still happening. Anyone who understands this stuff have any tips/advice?

Call your ISP and request the Signal to Noise Ratio is altered this should help with drop outs. They can also test your physical phone lines which may be the cause. Further some ISP's allow you login to a connection toolbox/control panel where you can manage these sorts of technical settings with friendly sliders etc.

Example my ISP iiNet allows 4 distinct settings such as "reliable, business, large downloads, thrillseeker". They are geared for different purposes and I use thrillseeker so it goes for a continuous connection rather than large downloads etc. Better for gaming in short.

So at this point I would recommend you need to call your ISP and have some of their settings, testing and assistance help out more. Some other things to try are in this Waypoint thread mate, worth going through each one e.g. MTU sizes, NAT, port forwarding, DMZ, cables twisted or near power cables, QoS rules etc -

Improve your connection

For me I paid to have my phone line and power rewired at my house, literally to the street cable and all underground completely rewired. However I get to write off such expenses to my company and I use my connection for more than just home/gaming.

You have to remember it's a console. SSDs are still horribly overpriced in comparison to HDDs... and for what? Faster loading times? Not worth the price trade-off, IMO.

Depends on the new targets of the console e.g. if they went the route of buy the home console and make it a portable/tablet style handheld too then SSD makes sense for drops, reliability and loading times etc.

I'd like to see an SSD for the core OS and installing a few core games you play often. Then the usual HDD expansion as a secondary port for large SATA HDD storage you purchase and use as a separate drive to download media, games, videos etc.

I guess I just want a premium hardware console and don't mind paying for it.

Holy shit Bungies new site is incredible!

meanie.jpg

Why not a fusion drive like new Macs and some other computers? Pack in a 32/64/128 GB SSD on top of a 250GB+ HDD?

Well that's only so effective. The point of a large HDD would be to download all my games to it, and if they are installed to the HDD I don't get the advantage of the SSD when playing those games. You see that in computers like you say, one of my roommates has a computer with a 32GB SSD with the OS installed on it, but pretty much everything else is installed on the HDD, so Windows itself is absurdly fast, but you can't really take advantage of it with your applications, or games in the Xbox's case.

So I guess you can make a case for that, cause running the OS on it would be nice, but it would still face those limitations.

No they need to toss a 128gb or 256gb SSD in the system for the console OS + to install games on.

At 8GB ram and the CPU/GPU rumored, the bottleneck would be the HDD which stinks.

No they need to toss a 128gb or 256gb SSD in the system for the console OS + to install games on.

At 8GB ram and the CPU/GPU rumored, the bottleneck would be the HDD which stinks.

I'm hoping MS goes the Sony route and simply gives us the option to install an SSD. I'd think adding an SSD from factory would drive the price of the console up a bit

Kibbles

Wtf been owning on halo 4 got a 1 week voice ban but I haven't used voice chat at all just been playing with my 3 friends with our 4 TV setup o_O

Edit: might've been a glitch I think I can still talk

FyreWulff

Weakest link in the chain is always the original media, which will be more than likely a Blu Ray disc. Wouldn't matter for digital, games would be made around the disc limitation.

matchmaking is so eager to start a game that it breaks matchmaking. hard to believe this is still an issue
I've honestly never had a game that started uneven and didn't fill in all or at least most of the team (minus one player) within 10 seconds. And I've only seen JIP fail on Crimson maps in Big Team Slayer.

Is this a real issue with you guys? Am I just lucky?

As good as some PS games look, I'll never get the hang of that arcaic controller. Hopefully they update it for PSnext. 360 controller suits me just fine. Hopefully they don't change it much for Xbox next. It's a weird parameter for console adoption, I know. Oh and I'm def getting Halo 5, eh's a cool guy.

I have all three platforms right now...all for exclusives.

blamite

I've honestly never had a game that started uneven and didn't fill in all or at least most of the team (minus one player) within 10 seconds. And I've only seen JIP fail on Crimson maps in Big Team Slayer.

I've had games start 5v1 and stay that way for 4-5 minutes. :/
Ya.

Site will be in beta for a bit, though. Set expectations accordingly.

Just let me change my username evenually, even if I can only do it once. ;_; Since accounts are tied to WLID, B.net is one of the few places I haven't been able to do that without losing stuff.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Yes, you are actually lucky. Or you just aren't paying attention. I'm missing 2 people from my team all the damn time that never get filled in.

I have all three platforms right now...all for exclusives.
I often lament missing out on Uncharted. These old hands just can't make sense of how those wiggly sticks are so close together. :(
Exclusives ARE the killer apps as they say, definitely not taking away from your original point. I bought the OG Xbox because of Halo, of course.

I often lament missing out on Uncharted. These old hands just can't make sense of how those wiggly sticks are so close together. :(
Exclusives ARE the killer apps as they say, definitely not taking away from your original point. I bought the OG Xbox because of Halo, of course.
You missed nothing, I wouldn't fret it.

neoism

Damn dat 720 is waay better than my PC really hope its got 8gb of ram though... shame the system will not have any KILLER games at launch...the OS will more than likely use 2gbs though... so I still have 4 any new info or is 343 still asleep...

OT anyone have a spare live card 2 or maybe a 14 day... low on cash and don't have anything to trade only got a steam version of ALICE Madness Returns...

Uncharted 2 was great. The third one was like watching Return of the Jedi with Ewoks after Empire. I missed the first game. You're right; the PS3 controller is a mess with the sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom