• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

I'm hyped for Destiny as I would any game I'm excited for.

I haven't played Bioshock Infinite but im hyped.

Haven't played GTA V, but im hyped.

I'm hyped on the premise of Destiny and that its made by Bungie. Will need gameplay to sell me on it though.

ElRenoRaven

I wonder how many people play their Xbox at a desk, instead of on a couch. Seems to me a decent amount of people here on GAF do. Ever try to use a mouse and keyboard on a couch? Sucks, man. A controller is held in my hands, so the only real limitation for where that mechanism works is wherever I can go myself. A keyboard and mouse require some form of surface to set them down on in order to work properly. This type of limitation for the mouse and keyboard has had attempts to be addressed, what with sort of mouse/keyboard combos, or mouse/keyboard with a built in surface, but they're clunky, expensive, and less than ideal. I remain unconvinced that the mouse and keyboard needs to be on a console. I see more practicality with the innovations in precise control mechanisms with a device like the Move, or that $150 one that Razer made for Portal 2. Still... Options are nice, I guess.

Why shouldn't the hype be warranted? In my opinion, Bungie has consistently released fantastic games for a really long time, even before Halo. The first Bungie game I played was Myth 2 on PC, then Oni on PC. Both were fantastic (and don't forget Marathon! but that was before my time). THEN Halo, and it's sequels. I think a lot of the problems with later Halo titles by them are just franchise fatigue (notice all your examples were sequels) with respect to development. I think they just got tired of developing Halo games. Now they can do what they do best, create a compelling universe. While no one can know for certain whether or not the game will be good, fans can still hype over it. That's what hype is, getting excited over an idea. At this point, with whatever it is Bungie is working on being so cool that they dropped Halo for it, and that Activision went balls to the wall with their decade long partnership, I'd say all signs point to it being something at least mildly compelling. So... yeah. I'm hyped. They're best in class in the industry, and they have some brand new and big IP coming. I don't see any reason not to be hyped up.

All the Bungie games I've ever played have been dope. I see no reason to be skeptical.

You are both exactly on the money. I've played everything Bungie since the early days and ever single damn time I've loved the game. I can't say that about any other developer to be honest. That is the reason Bungie is my #1 when it comes to developers. Course that said I'm not saying each game is perfect. No game out there is perfect. However when it comes to Bungie's games i can't say a single one is bad. If anything I think Oni was the roughest but course when you get bought in the middle of development of it, things can end up a bit rough. I don't hold the PS2 port against Bungie either because that port was done by Rockstar Montreal. Even then it was pretty damn fun. Rough controls and all.

What exactly makes something bad game without bringing opinions into it?

Simple you can be objective. First off the game on a technical level is very solid.. Not many bugs at all. It has a good storyline that yes retcons some things but does accomplish what it sets out to do. It makes sense and works. Then the multiplayer functions and functions damn well. Now things such as bloom, armor lock, retcons, playlist management, etc it can be argued if you enjoyed it or not but the game is a good game.

Enjoyment and the quality of the game are not the same thing. Example. I don't enjoy the Zelda games at all. However I acknowledge that they are good games that are of quality. I just don't enjoy them.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm sure there could be a way to filter the users. Simple. Require an Xbox branded Keyboard & Mouse. Then due to some programming the system can detect if you're using the KB/M or controller. Then bam each game has to give you an option to filter between Controller only, KB/M only, or both allowed option.

But wouldn't that again split userbases?
I don't know, if they get it to work, sure ! I'm all for it.

Now I had to watch the video again with the guy who plays Halo 4 with kb7m and how he shits on everyone

Pop

I'm hyped for Destiny as I would any game I'm excited for.

I haven't played Bioshock Infinite but im hyped.

Haven't played GTA V, but im hyped.

I'm hyped on the premise of Destiny and that its made by Bungie. Will need gameplay to sell me on it though.

Akai__

What exactly makes something bad game without bringing opinions into it?

It doesn't depend on a single person, it depends on the majority.

Take Mass Effect 3 as an example. The majority thinks it is a good game, but the majority also thinks, that the game had a bad ending.

You can always have your own opinion, on a game, but you should tell, that it is your opinion.

This is not directed to you, but to all others, who say: "Game X is bad" etc

It doesn't depend on a single person, it depends on the majority.

Take Mass Effect 3 as an example. The majority thinks it is a good game, but the majority also thinks, that the game had a bad ending.

You can always have your own opinion, on a game, but you should tell, that it is your opinion.

This is not directed to you, but to all others, who say: "Game X is bad" etc

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. :)

ElRenoRaven

But wouldn't that again split userbases?
I don't know, if they get it to work, sure ! I'm all for it.

Now I had to watch the video again with the guy who plays Halo 4 with kb7m and how he shits on everyone

Oh there is no denying that the playerbases would be split. That's just a fact of life we'd have to deal with. Many games have survived on PC by including both control options. Hell I play a lot of my games with the 360 controller and still enjoy the hell out of them.

Why shouldn't the hype be warranted? In my opinion, Bungie has consistently released fantastic games for a really long time, even before Halo. The first Bungie game I played was Myth 2 on PC, then Oni on PC. Both were fantastic (and don't forget Marathon! but that was before my time). THEN Halo, and it's sequels. I think a lot of the problems with later Halo titles by them are just franchise fatigue (notice all your examples were sequels) with respect to development. I think they just got tired of developing Halo games, so they mucked about with the formula in an attempt to try and create something new, which is in their DNA. Now they can do what they do best, create a compelling universe. While no one can know for certain whether or not the game will be good, fans can still hype over it. That's what hype is, getting excited over an idea. At this point, with whatever it is Bungie is working on being so cool that they dropped Halo for it, and that Activision went balls to the wall with their decade long partnership, I'd say all signs point to it being something at least mildly compelling. So... yeah. I'm hyped. They're best in class in the industry, and they have some brand new and big IP coming. I don't see any reason not to be hyped up.

Like I said it could (and probably will be) wonderful. This is personal to me but I'm sick of being on the 'hype train' only to be let down time and time again as I have been by the aformentioned examples. The way the industry's gone the last few years, it's hard to get properly hyped. Dark Souls was a revelation to me, one of the games of the generation and original (I know it's a successor to Demons Souls). I was very hyped when its sequel was unexpectedly announced. Then I read some of the early details and learned of the change of director and my enthusiasm for it was sharply tempered. Now, it would be silly of me to write it off based on the little details there are but I find it equally foolish to salivate over name alone.

Just because it's Bungie and they have a better record than most, doesn't automatically = awesome. I need hard details on the game these days.

ElRenoRaven

Like I said it could (and probably will be) wonderful. This is personal to me but I'm sick of being on the 'hype train' only to be let down time and time again as I have been by the aformentioned examples. The way the industry's gone the last few years, it's hard to get properly hyped. Dark Souls was a revelation to me, one of the games of the generation and original (I know it's a successor to Demons Souls). I was very hyped when its sequel was unexpectedly announced. Then I read some of the early details and learned of the change of director and my enthusiasm for it was sharply tempered. Now, it would be silly of me to write it off based on the little details there are but I find it equally foolish to salivate over name alone.

Just because it's Bungie and they have a better record than most, doesn't automatically = awesome. I need hard details these days on the game these days.

You know I'll never understand the whole hypetrain thing. Each person can be hyped for something and share that. However each person chooses if they are hyped or not. I myself am hyped yes. However I don't expect anyone else to "jump on the hypetrain" with me. So you by all means can not be hyped if you want. Nobody is forcing anyone to be hyped. However we'd ask the same respect of those who aren't hyped to allow us to be hyped. It's a simple live and let live thing. What does someone else being hyped hurt you? Same for us. What does you not being hyped hurt us? It doesn't.

You know I'll never understand the whole hypetrain thing. Each person can be hyped for something and share that. However each person chooses if they are hyped or not. I myself am hyped yes. However I don't expect anyone else to "jump on the hypetrain" with me. So you by all means can not be hyped if you want. Nobody is forcing anyone to be hyped. However we'd ask the same respect of those who aren't hyped to allow us to be hyped. It's a simple live and let live thing. What does someone else being hyped hurt you? Same for us. What does you not being hyped hurt us? It doesn't.

I don't give a shit if others are hyped. I just find it funny if a poster says there are to be no KILLER launch games for the new consoles and some say'but Destiny' when we know shit all about the game.

I loved all of Bungie's Halo games. However, isn't Destiny supposed to be a persistent online experience or something like that? Halo 3's playlist management was horrifically bad. Reach's was better but still left a lot to be desired. Bungie will have to improve significantly in post release management of their game to pull a 'POE' game off properly.

Dirtbag

Noone knows how Destiny will turn out. It could be a complete stinker. It could be an overambitious, flawed epic. It might well be the game of the generation. Nobody knows and the fact it's being developed by Bungie is no guarantee it will be a 'KILLER' game at all.
Well I just hope it isn't story driven, but lore driven. Because bungie may be kings of lore but aren't very good at telling coherent stories.

Reach didn't hold a candle to 2 & 3, but it was still a rock solid Halo game. If that was anyone's first Halo game and didn't have the original trilogy to compare it too, they were going to have fun playing it. And I think the only thing holding Halo 4 back is the maps. I'm loving the gameplay and I think the largest problem is the strength of the DMR, which isn't that bad compared to Armor Lock and Bloom in Reach.

Halo 4 has strong potential if it can a steady ground of maps and gametypes.

Reach didn't hold a candle to 2 & 3, but it was still a rock solid Halo game. If that was anyone's first Halo game and didn't have the original trilogy to compare it too, they were going to have fun playing it. And I think the only thing holding Halo 4 back is the maps. I'm loving the gameplay and I think the largest problem is the strength of the DMR, which isn't that bad compared to Armor Lock and Bloom in Reach.

Halo 4 has strong potential if it can a steady ground of maps and gametypes.

It's not the maps,the gameplay is terrible due to many COD elements added therefore it doesn't play how a halo game should.

It's not the maps,the gameplay is terrible due to many COD elements added therefore it doesn't play how a halo game should.

I think they struck a good balance with AA's really. In Reach, when someone used Armor Lock or even Evade at times, I would just turn off my 360 in anger. I haven't done that with any AA in H4. They all seem well tuned. I'm not a fan of ordnance drops, but they do have gametypes and without them and I just hope 343 realizes it's better to have weapon spawns.

Those are the only CoD elements I can think of, besides the weapon skins and new commendations, which i like.

The maps are lacking though. Not enough small and not enough open areas in the large maps. The only one's I like are Haven and Longbow.

ouch.

also AGDQ is in DC? I might go next year. I'll wear a HaloGAF shirt or something and sit in the front row. Looks like fun. These nerds are my people.

There is a lone chick watching these guys play Earthbound right now. I am hoping for a nerd to make a play!

I honestly thought it was just another guy with long hair at first.
She talked a bit when she first showed up or I would have assumed the same.

Tawpgun

Reach may have been plagued by bad design and gameplay elements (for a Halo game) but it was one of the most polished games I've ever played.

Halo 4 however, rivals Halo 2. Halo 2 being more unpolished in the gameplay and Halo 4 being more unpolished in everywhere else.

Yes!

http://www.bungie.net/inside/content_viewer.aspx?link=about_careers#32251

English audio and subs (non english speaking countries)?

This is really interesting, Mexicans LOVE fantasy games and more it the game will be in our regionalized language.

Bungie never failed with the latinamerican spanish and even add some unique scripts in that language.

2007. Reach was decent however.

It is actually, I played it more than Halo 4.

I could play Halo Wars with keyboard + mouse. I'll probably end up playing the far superior LOTRBFMEII though. Halo Wars stunk, the economic system, upgrade tiers, and battle was all so casualized. FoV was so small it was a bit nauseating to play the game, and the graphics...deal lord I wish that would have been a PC game.

YSG evolved into BSG when did that happen? Did Swaggy Poppins ever run a game or was she just eye candy?

Booties

Banned
I may be playing a lot of halo tonight if anyone else is planning on it.

I'd like halo wars if someone wants to play campaign with me. In fact, I'd like to play halo 4 coop campaign for the achievements.

I guess no one plays or HaloGAF is a secret society that takes some kind of initiation process to get into. I kid. But I have yet to play with anyone here yet.

I could play Halo Wars with keyboard + mouse. I'll probably end up playing the far superior LOTRBFMEII though. Halo Wars stunk, the economic system, upgrade tiers, and battle was all so casualized. FoV was so small it was a bit nauseating to play the game, and the graphics...deal lord I wish that would have been a PC game.

YSG evolved into BSG when did that happen? Did Swaggy Poppins ever run a game or was she just eye candy?

That guy is so fucking annoying.

I guess no one plays or HaloGAF is a secret society that takes some kind of initiation process to get into. I kid. But I have yet to play with anyone here yet.

A lot of the regulars dont play. I do, but my gold just ran out. Feel free to add me though, will be back playing halo next week.

Trey

Reach may have been plagued by bad design and gameplay elements (for a Halo game) but it was one of the most polished games I've ever played.

Halo 4 however, rivals Halo 2. Halo 2 being more unpolished in the gameplay and Halo 4 being more unpolished in everywhere else.

Relatively speaking. All the glitches and shit in Halo 4 would be expected and/or overlooked if it came out in 2004.

Bungie makes good ass games.

kylej

Banned
Relatively speaking. All the glitches and shit in Halo 4 would be expected and/or overlooked if it came out in 2004.

If Halo 4 was released in 2004 and was missing some fundamental features of its predecessors, I'm sure people would be upset.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah, I'm still a firm believer that the only thing hold Halo 4 back is the maps and gametypes.

Well I wouldn't go that far but i'll be honest. In all my time with all the games I've honestly not had near the amount of glitches other's have experienced in them. Even Halo 4. I've never experienced the audio glitches for example yet people say those are prevalent. I just don't know why I've been as lucky as I have.

gAg CruSh3r

Like a keyboard and mouse?

But seriously - I can't imaging playing a real time strategy game with a controller.

Although this is agreeable for RTS games, I think it falls apart in shooters. One of the great benefits to having a standard controller across the board is that it evens the playing field. No one has an inherent advantage due to better hardware (whether that is a better mouse, customizable keyboard, or just higher graphical standards, etc.) For me, personally, this is a huge part of the appeal for a console game.

Well, I feel like it takes way to long to build up a army or even upgrades. A fight won't even start most the time until 10 mins into the game. Unless the other team starts a warthog rush.

I thought the Xbox 360 control worked fine with the game?

Blueblur1

I agree wholeheartedly.

Yeah, I'm still a firm believer that the only thing hold Halo 4 back is the maps and gametypes.

I play and enjoy the game, although it's flaws are evident.

I concur that maps would do alot to bring back that intangible fun factor that has been diluted by the abundance of large, spread out play areas littered with vehicles. Three more SMALL (not small to medium) symetrical arenas with distinctly recognizable land marks (and hell, make them forunner themed- no rocks- why not?). Mix those in with Haven and Adrift, let Abandon be the only small assymetric map in the mix for those who want to break it up once in a while.

edit-This really should have been the first DLC salvo, given the ration of large maps to small from launch.

Something tells me they have long since decided what they're going to do regarding DLC. They're likely more of the larger scale exterior terrestrial type maps we got in Crimson. And regardless of how poorly Crimson is doing in Matchmaking, they're hamstrung into going through with this as it's too late to change course based on that feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom