• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you are actually lucky. Or you just aren't paying attention. I'm missing 2 people from my team all the damn time that never get filled in.
You kinda notice that. And I've held off for ten seconds before when I was on the team with the most players, just to be sure.

I've just never had a game stay imbalanced by more than a single player for most of a match outside of the Crimson maps on some playlists (Big Team Slayer, maybe Crimson playlist too, not sure) where JIP doesn't seem to work at all.

Your mileage may vary I guess. But in hundreds of games it hasn't happened for me.

GrizzNKev

Banned
guess you was joking but its in offline mode or something it won't let me log in just me or is it everyone
every launch for the past 10 years has had shit games... I don't. guess it has halo 5, but lol at that.

I have three words for you, assuming you don't have a powerful PC:

Des

tin

y

You kinda notice that. And I've held off for ten seconds before when I was on the team with the most players, just to be sure.

I've just never had a game stay imbalanced by more than a single player for most of a match outside of the Crimson maps on some playlists (Big Team Slayer, maybe Crimson playlist too, not sure).

Hmph. It's a consistent problem for me, and based on other people's responses, it's a problem for them too. I'd say about 1/3 of my games involve some kind of extreme lag issues as well.

neoism

I have three words for you, assuming you don't have a powerful PC:

Des

tin

y

Hmph. It's a consistent problem for me, and based on other people's responses, it's a problem for them too. I'd say about 1/3 of my games involve some kind of extreme lag issues as well.

lol yeah but it will be on 360... that sequels will be got on PC my i5 2.7 atiR5880 8gb should do

Damn dat 720 is waay better than my PC really hope its got 8gb of ram though... shame the system will not have any KILLER games at launch...the OS will more than likely use 2gbs though... so I still have 4 any new info or is 343 still asleep...

Wat

There is a significant chance that the next Xbox will have Destiny at launch.

Kibbles

We are all getting voice banned even though none of us are using our mics at all just by bad kids getting donged on sending bad feedback I assume. Glad I pay for this bullshit Xbox live.

neoism

Wat

There is a significant chance that the next Xbox will have Destiny at launch.

didn't really know that but still unless its million times better looking, and its bungle so it probably will be, but meh really depends on if it has no monthly fee... I would prefer to get the game on 720 but not sure I can go that route again should just wait for them to port it to PC and never look back... really hope I get to beta test it. signed up 2 years ago lol.....

Pop

Off topic, but I've been having connection issues and I need some assistance.

So I changed ISPs recently, it was super slow before and my NAT was strict no matter what I did to my router. The new ISP is a lot better, here is my speed and stuff right now,

the problem is I keep getting disconnected and randomly lagging like crazy. I had a netgear router from the ISP connected to the modem. It was slow so I had them come in and look at it. The guy said I shouldn't even need a router because the modem has one built in. So I took out the modem. Then he said the modem was bad, so he went and got another one. He changed that out and that is what I am currently using. Unfortunately the lag and disconnecting is still happening. Anyone who understands this stuff have any tips/advice?

Could be a number of things. Is the weather shitty? Is your ISP having problems? Did you open you NAT in your router? Maybe the router is just faulty.

My ISP(Charter) recently stopped handing out modem/router combos so I had to go purchase a router. Well for some reasons I was having connections issues like yourself after opening my NAT and tweaking settings nothing helped. Well, I fixed the problem by flashing my router with dd-wrt. Now use at your own risk if you decide to do that. My router has now been great for 2 months with no disconnects. This was the first time I had to actually flash a router for it to function correctly. Again, read a lot and understand before you decide to go that route. It's easy but you can still ruin your router completely.

I've just never had a game stay imbalanced by more than a single player for most of a match outside of the Crimson maps on some playlists (Big Team Slayer, maybe Crimson playlist too, not sure) where JIP doesn't seem to work at all.

Your mileage may vary I guess. But in hundreds of games it hasn't happened for me.

I've seen and been in too many random uneven starts and most never fill up. Always uneven. Hell, sometimes it was 3v1 the whole match. This isn't the Halo I know and love.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Talking about Pokemon is a lot less fun than talking about Halo. Mostly just boils down to:

• "That Pokemon looks awesome / dumb / too much like an animal / not enough like an animal."
  • #TeamChespin / #TeamFroakie / #TeamFennekin
  • "OMG 3D" or "RIP sprites"
But at least with Pokemon I have something to look forward to. :'-(

Talking about Pokemon is a lot less fun than talking about Halo. Mostly just boils down to:

• "That Pokemon looks awesome / dumb / too much like an animal / not enough like an animal."
  • #TeamChespin / #TeamFroakie / #TeamFennekin
  • "OMG 3D" or "RIP sprites"
But at least with Pokemon I have something to look forward to. :'-(
Why is everyone assuming Destiny will be good? When is the last time bungie made a good game? 2004?

MIMIC

Banned
Has Haven been removed from the game or something? Played a bunch of games of SWAT and it didn't even appear as a choice for voting. WTF?

I'm so fucking sick of Adrift.

IHaveIce

Banned
Dev units usually have double the amount of RAM compared with retail units.

Nobody here should be expecting 8. If those specs are accurate, the retail unit will have 4.
Nope, busted rumour this isn't the rule.

Possible but read the thread about the specs, one guy busted this myth perfectly

FyreWulff

I'm going to laugh if it ends up that we never got Halo 2 GonD and Halo 2 Live shut down just so they could sell Halo 2 to us again.
I'm being snarky, by the way

Why is everyone assuming Destiny will be good? When is the last time bungie made a good game? 2004?

Because people like Bungie games?

zap

I'm going to laugh if it ends up that we never got Halo 2 GonD and Halo 2 Live shut down just so they could sell Halo 2 to us again.
I'm being snarky, by the way

Because people like Bungie games?

And we STILL have the 100 friend limit :| There was no upgrades to XBL that came about - they just wanted to get rid of the servers...

Omni

I drank far too muvh tonight. wow. Beer is more intoxicating than it looks :\

Off topic, but does anyobe know what Bungies website is coming back online?? I thought ti would be back by thetime I got back home, but apparently not!!

Moa

I drank far too muvh tonight. wow. Beer is more intoxicating than it looks :

Off topic, but does anyobe know what Bungies website is coming back online?? I thought ti would be back by thetime I got back home, but apparently not!!
Soon™

Shadders

Has anyone actually been bothering with the Infinity Challnge?

I've just been looking at it now, I'm currently in Tier 2 for both SpOps and War Games, I didn't realise that it's still in the qualifying period. Seems like it's been going on for ages.

Has anyone actually been bothering with the Infinity Challnge?

I've just been looking at it now, I'm currently in Tier 2 for both SpOps and War Games, I didn't realise that it's still in the qualifying period. Seems like it's been going on for ages.

I only care for certain playlists in Halo 4 right now: CTF, Oddball, Dominion, and Team Regicide. As long as those playlists exist, then I'm interested in playing the game. Since this is mostly a grind-based tournament, I don't really care for it, as I'm lucky to get any games in each day. The Challenge has done nothing but "pause" the playlist rotation, which I thought was being handled very well before it started. Now we've had 4 weeks of relative playlist stagnation as far as I see it (which sucks, because I was enjoying near limitless time on break from school, but nothing new from Halo).

We'll see how they handle the playlist rotation once the Challenge is over.

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo 3 and Reach were terrible Halo games, but they're not terrible games generally speaking. They were good. Just bad Halo games. Bad shooters. Good in some aspects terrible in others.

How do i see my overall kills/deaths with each weapon? cant seem to find it on waypoint? Or can you only do it per playlist?
You have to go through every playlist and figure it out yourself.

I've honestly never had a game that started uneven and didn't fill in all or at least most of the team (minus one player) within 10 seconds. And I've only seen JIP fail on Crimson maps in Big Team Slayer.

Is this a real issue with you guys? Am I just lucky?
You're extremely lucky. JiP has been really spotty the last few times I've been playing, especially in CTF. What REALLY irritates me is when there is 8 people in the lobby, and the game sets it up as 5v3 without even bothering to wait to search for more people. Then the game starts and no one else joins. Matter of fact, the last CTF game I played did this exact scenario, but 2 of the 3 people on the other team quit and no one else joined. Granted it was a very short game, but it's an extremely wonky system that doesn't seem to benefit anyone.

Pretty rare occurrence for me. Team Regicide, Slayer
TR is far less of a problem than CTF, but I've encountered a lop-sided game on occasion. It's far more detrimental in CTF than it is for Slayer-based gametypes, though. One or two good players could (and have) outdo a shitty team of 4.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo 3 and Reach were terrible Halo games, but they're not terrible games generally speaking. They were good. Just bad Halo games. Bad shooters. Good in some aspects terrible in others.

I agree except for Halo 3 being in there, I liked 3 quite a bit. Reach was a very well built game, just wan't a ton of fun as a Halo game.

Where's my Halo Wars 2 dammit.

willow ve

No Halo Wars 2 :(...

I really enjoy playing Halo Wars. I wish there was more players and a faster system.

Like a keyboard and mouse?

But seriously - I can't imaging playing a real time strategy game with a controller.

MS should just add KB+M support and then the next Xbox will get every RTS port. Done and done.

Although this is agreeable for RTS games, I think it falls apart in shooters. One of the great benefits to having a standard controller across the board is that it evens the playing field. No one has an inherent advantage due to better hardware (whether that is a better mouse, customizable keyboard, or just higher graphical standards, etc.) For me, personally, this is a huge part of the appeal for a console game.

ElRenoRaven

And increase the skillgap in FPS

I'm sure there could be a way to filter the users. Simple. Require an Xbox branded Keyboard & Mouse. Then due to some programming the system can detect if you're using the KB/M or controller. Then bam each game has to give you an option to filter between Controller only, KB/M only, or both allowed option.

Why is everyone assuming Destiny will be good?

My thoughts exactly when seeing the unchecked hype for Destiny based purely on the name of Bungie. This generation has taught a hard lesson in product reliability when based on name alone. Final Fantasy produced some of my favourite games of all time on PS1 and 2. Its 13th iteration was so bland and devoid of gameplay or even tolerable characters that I stopped playing before I even reached the world map. Bought it launch day on faith of the name alone, despite the reviews.

Resident Evil, great, ground breaking games on the PS1, one of the greatest games of all time in Resi 4. This gen: RE5, terrible 'co-op' crowbarred onto the tried and true formula, horrible inventory system, mostly forgettable bosses, basically a retread of 4 but nowhere near as good. RE 6... Played the demo and realised the franchise had completely flatbottomed.

Pro Evolution was the undisputed champ of football games in the ps1 and 2 era. Mired in mediocrity this gen.

Burnout 3 was a brilliant game. Its sequels stuck close to 3's formula while adding cool new features and were also very good games. Burnout Paradise was dogshit with a completely unneccessary overworld map.

Even GTA 4, which was a really good game in many respects still disappointed me in its sluggish movement and dreary locales. I don't hold it as a classic like Vice City.

Obviously Halo has declined from the very, very high quality bar it set itself with Halo 3.

Noone knows how Destiny will turn out. It could be a complete stinker. It could be an overambitious, flawed epic. It might well be the game of the generation. Nobody knows and the fact it's being developed by Bungie is no guarantee it will be a 'KILLER' game at all.

I wonder how many people play their Xbox at a desk, instead of on a couch. Seems to me a decent amount of people here on GAF do. Ever try to use a mouse and keyboard on a couch? Sucks, man. A controller is held in my hands, so the only real limitation for where that mechanism works is wherever I can go myself. A keyboard and mouse require some form of surface to set them down on in order to work properly. This type of limitation for the mouse and keyboard has had attempts to be addressed, what with sort of mouse/keyboard combos, or mouse/keyboard with a built in surface, but they're clunky, expensive, and less than ideal. I remain unconvinced that the mouse and keyboard needs to be on a console. I see more practicality with the innovations in precise control mechanisms with a device like the Move, or that $150 one that Razer made for Portal 2. Still... Options are nice, I guess.

My thoughts exactly when seeing the unchecked hype for Destiny based purely on the name of Bungie. This generation has taught a hard lesson in product reliability when based on name alone. Final Fantasy produced some of my favourite games of all time on PS1 and 2. Its 13th iteration was so bland and devoid of gameplay or even tolerable characters that I stopped playing before I even reached the world map. Bought it launch day on faith of the name alone, despite the reviews.

Resident Evil, great, ground breaking games on the PS1, one of the greatest games of all time in Resi 4. This gen: RE5, terrible 'co-op' crowbarred onto the tried and true formula, horrible inventory system, mostly forgettable bosses, basically a retread of 4 but nowhere near as good. RE 6... Played the demo and realised the franchise had completely flatbottomed.

Pro Evolution was the undisputed champ of football games in the ps1 and 2 era. Mired in mediocrity this gen.

Burnout 3 was a brilliant game. Its sequels stuck close to 3's formula while adding cool new features and were also very good games. Burnout Paradise was dogshit with a completely unneccessary overworld map.

Even GTA 4, which was a really good game in many respects still disappointed me in its sluggish movement and dreary locales. I don't hold it as a classic like Vice City.

Obviously Halo has declined from the very, very high quality bar it set itself with Halo 3.

Noone knows how Destiny will turn out. It could be a complete stinker. It could be an overambitious, flawed epic. It might well be the game of the generation. Nobody knows and the fact it's being developed by Bungie is no guarantee it will be a 'KILLER' game at all.

Why shouldn't the hype be warranted? In my opinion, Bungie has consistently released fantastic games for a really long time, even before Halo. The first Bungie game I played was Myth 2 on PC, then Oni on PC. Both were fantastic (and don't forget Marathon! but that was before my time). THEN Halo, and it's sequels. I think a lot of the problems with later Halo titles by them are just franchise fatigue (notice all your examples were sequels) with respect to development. I think they just got tired of developing Halo games, so they mucked about with the formula in an attempt to try and create something new, which is in their DNA. Now they can do what they do best, create a compelling universe. While no one can know for certain whether or not the game will be good, fans can still hype over it. That's what hype is, getting excited over an idea. At this point, with whatever it is Bungie is working on being so cool that they dropped Halo for it, and that Activision went balls to the wall with their decade long partnership, I'd say all signs point to it being something at least mildly compelling. So... yeah. I'm hyped. They're best in class in the industry, and they have some brand new and big IP coming. I don't see any reason not to be hyped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom