• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

They definitely make the maps a lot more appealing visually than Forge World. I know you're on a crusade against the game right now, but c'mon now.

I agree, shadows are great. I was making a poorly worded joke about how he said "Dead serious here", but his username is "DeadNames".

heckfu

Banned
Definitely the kid who freaked out in all caps and Heckfu said he would show someone what the internet was with the post, hahaha.

I realize it sucks the maps weren't up on time, but damn, go to bed, go outside, go do anything. Stressing over it on a message board ain't gonna get it done any faster.

*bows*

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Wreckage and Harvest are quite good. Shatter is ok. Only big problem is that Wreckage CTF reminds me of Complex in that one side has a huge advantage ( an incredibly large hill that overlooks their flag spawn ). Granted its pretty easy for the other team to get up there, but it's also quite easy to defend that hill / the flag.

CyReN

and it begins..

a91c66998ddb5ac130809a2b4627f00b.png

So seriously, 343i outsourced to CA who outsourced to someone else. All these issues, does anyone think its possible that this thing is a mess because they hare developing Halo 5 for the new console? It wouldn't be that hard, they have the engine.

You would get Halo 5 to sell the new console and Halo 2 anniversary on its proper 10 year. I just don't believe such a collection of talent could be this bad.

Havok

So seriously, 343i outsourced to CA who outsourced to someone else.
...what? I'm gonna go ahead and say that's not the chain of events. CA is on the record about working on the shipping game's maps and modes, it's logical to assume that DE was tasked with DLC work by 343 since CA had their hands full. Assuming that it was this insane cascading outsourcing chain is a little ridiculous.

FyreWulff

So seriously, 343i outsourced to CA who outsourced to someone else. All these issues, does anyone think its possible that this thing is a mess because they hare developing Halo 5 for the new console? It wouldn't be that hard, they have the engine.

You would get Halo 5 to sell the new console and Halo 2 anniversary on its proper 10 year. I just don't believe such a collection of talent could be this bad.

Other way around. Halo 2 for 720's launch, Halo 5 a year after. They're not going to Perfect Dark Zero a mainline Halo. Halo 2 Not Vista would have an excuse for not looking like a generational leap.

And CA wouldn't have sub outsourced, it would have been 343 -> CA or 343-> Digital Extremes directly. Still, these developers need to be receiving title credit for their work.

blamite

I just realized Extraction still doesn't have Commendations now that it's in matchmaking. Any chance they could be added later?

I think the game is fun but the game really doesn't want me to think that.

It's depressing how 343 managed to release maps with more severe framedrops than what was shipped on the disc. I cannot salvage any fun from the game when I know other people are having a far smoother game than me and that I am at a complete disadvantage as a result. It's such a bummer that the game is not fun on splitscreen anymore. I can't play with Krow. I'm easing my foot off the pedal so to speak. I don't bother asking to join in when Krow is playing because it's sucking the fun out of both of us if we're both on.

I find myself not being able to play the game and have fun in War Games with my brother. It's really not a nice feeling. I knew for a while that this was coming. Reach had to make big cuts to splitscreen users. Halo 4 was ust following suit in what were understandable choices and cuts that needed to be made. Not only that but I'm also missing out on the chance to play with the friends that Krow and I share. There are plenty of people on here who I'd love to roll through MM with.

You know what made Halo fun for me? For as long as I've been playing it, I was always guaranteed at least one great teammate. Krow and I used to win quite a few matches back in Halo 3 and even Reach. The games were fun and they allowed us to enjoy the fun that existed on a gameplay level.

What happened in 4 is that the cuts became too drastic. You can't devote so many resources to having an investment system and then strip any post-game mention of those elements away from the players. There is hardly enough time for one person to peruse their unlocks in between games let alone a second player. The only way I can check my Exp is by pressing start, which is locking anyone else on my screen from doing anything else. At least that 5 bar feed at the top lets us know how much time we have.

The framedrops... They just kill the fun. Maps I have to actively avoid in order to have a smooth game include Complex, Exile, Vortex and Meltdown. With the new maps, that's 3 more straight on to that list. Harvest being the least offensive in this regard. Krow and I played Reach a lot. We know about the problems Reach had with the frames. It was doable. We could overcome it. I was playing on Shatter earlier and reduced myself to using an AR so as to ensure maximum hit percentages. I was two feet in front of a guy but the framerate dipped enough to visually give my opponent an ungodly strafe. Imagine blinking during a firefight in a very slow manner and you have a rough idea what it's like.

So while I really enjoy the guns in this game, the movement speeds, even the AAs and seemingly useless Pulse Grenades, the game just can't be fun anymore for me. Not on splitscreen anyway. Those things don't matter when your experience is being marred by the drawbacks of having two players.

Notifications... Ok Fyrewulff or someone who might know; What are the locations on screen where devs can position the notifications splash? I know of the default bottom-mid but I also know of top-right and top-left. Are there any others? I ask because in splitscreen, if anyone signs in, that notification blocks a third of my reticule. If someone signs in or they start playing Halo or they send either of us a message it literally blocks my vision. Those of you who love reading my posts might remembr my reasoning for why the white text isn't so bad. For those that forgot, I believe that the the text appears too high above the reticule to really impact the player's ability to see. Notifications are the exact opposite. If I aim at a player's head while a notification pops up, their head is the only thing I see. The animation of the notification is seriously distracting and bothers me greatly.

Turning them off shouldn't have to be my solution. Krow suggested the direct center of the screen where only a small section of my shields would be covered.

I really like this game. I love what 343 have done to Oddball and KOTH and even CTF. Dominion is a largely enjoyable experience and SWAT feels good in all the right places. There are just so many things hindering my enjoyment. So many things that take me right out of the fun zone and into the "fiht through the problems and you might have fun on the other side" zone.

Edit: Bottom of the paaaaaaaage raaaaaaaaage!!!!

You're suggesting a 2013 launch of Halo 5 and 720? That would explain the condensed map pack launch schedule. There must be something for net holiday, there's been a Halo game per year since 2007, don't see much of a reason not to keep it that way.

Still... Halo 5 next year... that would just be weak.

Karl2177

I think the game is fun but the game really doesn't want me to think that.

It's depressing how 343 managed to release maps with more severe framedrops than what was shipped on the disc. I cannot salvage any fun from the game when I know other people are having a far smoother game than me and that I am at a complete disadvantage as a result. It's such a bummer that the game is not fun on splitscreen anymore. I can't play with Krow. I'm easing my foot off the pedal so to speak. I don't bother asking to join in when Krow is playing because it's sucking the fun out of both of us if we're both on.

I find myself not being able to play the game and have fun in War Games with my brother. It's really not a nice feeling. I knew for a while that this was coming. Reach had to make big cuts to splitscreen users. Halo 4 was ust following suit in what were understandable choices and cuts that needed to be made. Not only that but I'm also missing out on the chance to play with the friends that Krow and I share. There are plenty of people on here who I'd love to roll through MM with.

You know what made Halo fun for me? For as long as I've been playing it, I was always guaranteed at least one great teammate. Krow and I used to win quite a few matches back in Halo 3 and even Reach. The games were fun and they allowed us to enjoy the fun that existed on a gameplay level.

What happened in 4 is that the cuts became too drastic. You can't devote so many resources to having an investment system and then strip any post-game mention of those elements away from the players. There is hardly enough time for one person to peruse their unlocks in between games let alone a second player. The only way I can check my Exp is by pressing start, which is locking anyone else on my screen from doing anything else. At least that 5 bar feed at the top lets us know how much time we have.

The framedrops... They just kill the fun. Maps I have to actively avoid in order to have a smooth game include Complex, Exile, Vortex and Meltdown. With the new maps, that's 3 more straight on to that list. Harvest being the least offensive in this regard. Krow and I played Reach a lot. We know about the problems Reach had with the frames. It was doable. We could overcome it. I was playing on Shatter earlier and reduced myself to using an AR so as to ensure maximum hit percentages. I was two feet in front of a guy but the framerate dipped enough to visually give my opponent an ungodly strafe. Imagine blinking during a firefight in a very slow manner and you have a rough idea what it's like.

So while I really enjoy the guns in this game, the movement speeds, even the AAs and seemingly useless Pulse Grenades, the game just can't be fun anymore for me. Not on splitscreen anyway. Those things don't matter when your experience is being marred by the drawbacks of having two players.

Notifications... Ok Fyrewulff or someone who might know; What are the locations on screen where devs can position the notifications splash? I know of the default bottom-mid but I also know of top-right and top-left. Are there any others? I ask because in splitscreen, if anyone signs in, that notification blocks a third of my reticule. If someone signs in or they start playing Halo or they send either of us a message it literally blocks my vision. Those of you who love reading my posts might remembr my reasoning for why the white text isn't so bad. For those that forgot, I believe that the the text appears too high above the reticule to really impact the player's ability to see. Notifications are the exact opposite. If I aim at a player's head while a notification pops up, their head is the only thing I see. The animation of the notification is seriously distracting and bothers me greatly.

Turning them off shouldn't have to be my solution. Krow suggested the direct center of the screen where only a small section of my shields would be covered.

I really like this game. I love what 343 have done to Oddball and KOTH and even CTF. Dominion is a largely enjoyable experience and SWAT feels good in all the right places. There are just so many things hindering my enjoyment. So many things that take me right out of the fun zone and into the "fiht through the problems and you might have fun on the other side" zone.

Edit: Bottom of the paaaaaaaage raaaaaaaaage!!!!

I know that feel. My roommate and I can't play together either. Here's to the top of the page as well.

I know that feel. My roommate and I can't play together either. Here's to the top of the page as well.

I spent a chunk of today playing campaign split screen with a friend. He and I have played through every other Halo campaign together. This was the least enjoyable split screen experience in the series. Gray blobs everywhere. Enemies popping into view at random distances. Glitches in various missions that forced us to restart (doors not opening, objectives not appearing). By the end of the afternoon we were only having fun because we were able to make fun of so many things.

Halo 4.

MormaPope

Banned
Man, this thread is a huge pile of misery. Not saying that like it's a negative thing or that people's opinions are too brash, but the experiences I've had with Halo 4 have been pretty great. Had to take a break because I played 48 hours worth in such a short span.

The map pack debacle should be solved by refunding the amount the map costs without taking in the season pass discount. I remember back in 2007 there was a Rainbow Six Vegas map pack that was released too early and the people that bought it got a refund. With my refund I got Symphony of the Night on XBLA.

Enfinit

So, playing a game of SWAT on Adrift and came across this fellow named "Hedless Spartan."

He literally had no head. Somehow hacked it to where his head was missing, and his hitbox was moved to somewhere in his chest. It's times like these where I sit here and contemplate getting mad at the piece of shit who cheats to win (he ended up going 20-6), or 343i for somehow making it possible for this to happen.

Like what the fuck.

So, playing a game of SWAT on Adrift and came across this fellow named "Hedless Spartan."

He literally had no head. Somehow hacked it to where his head was missing, and his hitbox was moved to somewhere in his chest. It's times like these where I sit here and contemplate getting mad at the piece of shit who cheats to win (he ended up going 20-6), or 343i for somehow making it possible for this to happen.

Like what the fuck.

Wait, Hedless Spartan was his actual GT? :lol

malfcn

The timing for jumping over ghosts is bothering me. I see them boost, I throw a grenade and jump. Every kill cam shows no grenade thrown and them just mow me over. Do I need to jump when they are 30 yards away?

Korosenai

Just played a game of extraction on Shatter. It was tied 4-4 and next point wins. It puts the last control point in our base where we all spawned and we had a mantis. Needless to say I'd be extremely pissed if I was the other team. They literally had no chance to win.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Like what the fuck.
Why would 343 be to blame?

Killer

Banned

Like what the fuck.

Why don't they add super jumps while they at it? It was fun.

Tawpgun

Just played a game of extraction on Shatter. It was tied 4-4 and next point wins. It puts the last control point in our base where we all spawned and we had a mantis. Needless to say I'd be extremely pissed if I was the other team. They literally had no chance to win.

WOW THATS SO DYNAMIC!

FUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom