• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

ElRenoRaven

I haven't been online all week, and I may not be for some time. My wife was the victim of a violent crime on Monday morning and all my time since then has been spent with her and dealing with various agencies. It's been a very trying and emotionally draining experience.

Shit man. Sorry to hear that. You take care of her and just be there for her. Thoughts and prayers to you two.

Yea just woke up from a nap here at the office and saw that. I really feel sorry for David. Without a doubt my thoughts and prayers are going out to him and his family right now too. It's never easy to see your parents in the hospital and possibly passing away.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn, prayers go out to David Ellis' father :(

1 game of halo 3. 1 friend request. 300 games of halo 4, 1 friend request.
That's probably because there are so few people playing Halo 3 they need whoever they can's contacts to even get games should it completely fizzle out. There's a joke about Halo 4 somewhere in this post too though, I guess.

Madness

1 game of halo 3. 1 friend request. 300 games of halo 4, 1 friend request.

2007 to 2010 Halo 3, at least 50+ people on my friends list played the game for months to years after launch.

2010 to 2012 Halo Reach, at least 20+ people on my friends list played the game for months to years after launch.

2012 to 2013 Halo 4, about a month and half after launch, I'm the last person out of all the people on my friends list to play Halo 4.

I wish I was lying. I had people on my friends list that I played Halo 2 with back in the day. We routinely played up till the launch of Halo 3. None of them are still playing Halo 4. And it sucks because they are trying to fix the game, but everyone besides me has moved on. They've either traded the game in or are playing something else.

Nowise10

I'm just basing it off of it would be take to much resources. If you take An AA out of the loadou,t then you'd have to take out a Spartan point, because if a new player comes on, then they would have an extra point to not spend on anything, and to take that point out, you'd have to go and probably edit a level to not give you a point, and then the possibilities of glitches happening by removing an AA from your selections are pretty high also.

I just don't think it could ever happen.

2007 to 2010 Halo 3, at least 50+ people on my friends list played the game for months to years after launch.

2010 to 2012 Halo Reach, at least 20+ people on my friends list played the game for months to years after launch.

2012 to 2013 Halo 4, about a month and half after launch, I'm the last person out of all the people on my friends list to play Halo 4.

I wish I was lying. I had people on my friends list that I played Halo 2 with back in the day. We routinely played up till the launch of Halo 3. None of them are still playing Halo 4. And it sucks because they are trying to fix the game, but everyone besides me has moved on. They've either traded the game in or are playing something else.

Ya it sucks that its taking so long for these patches. The world doesn't stop turning unfortunately. Even Treyarch pump out patches more regularly than 343 do. Its taking too much time. From the file share to the balancing, its just taking too long.

CyReN

Anyone know if any Halo pros are playing COD at the MLG event this weekend? I'm assuming Ogre2 is.

Ogre 2, Flamesword, Enable, Snakebite, Crimsix.

BFbvVkiCYAA_zam.jpg

CyReN

Anyone else dumbfounded that Call of Duty is being played at large MLG tournaments and there are Halo pro's playing there?

How? They have full on publisher/dev support, million dollar tourney, spectator mode, bigger fanbase, competitive playlist and ranks, etc. This isn't 2008 anymore with Halo.

Akai__

Anyone else dumbfounded that Call of Duty is being played at large MLG tournaments and there are Halo pro's playing there?

Well, either you earn money with streaming Halo 4 and go to smaller tourneys, like Ninja does or you change the game and try your best there.

Madness

How? They have full on publisher/dev support, million dollar tourney, spectator mode, bigger fanbase, competitive playlist and ranks, etc. This isn't 2008 anymore with Halo.

That's my point. For close to a decade Halo was part of MLG and was usually their biggest draw, Halo pro's were offered clothing sponsorships and other things etc. And now Halo is on the sidelines and a franchise that was the laughingstock of the competitive shooter industry is having million dollar tourneys and is more competitive than Halo is.

FyreWulff

Is that the only way because that's lame.

Without a TU it's the only way they can do it. They did not add the capability to ban weapons from loadouts, probably because it would have raised the UI complexity (do you let them select a fallback? Do you let them select one slot, but not the other? What if they use the double Primary and put the weapon you expect them to have in slot 2?)

Such is the corner you write yourself into with a CoD global loadouts system. You lose control over the sandbox in playlists, and can't thwart it without removing the customization feature. Reach had loadouts but Bungie had the ability to control them at the playlist level and the map level even if they wanted to because they didn't allow you to set them globally. And they were - every new playlist they were shipping after the armor lock feedback did not have AL, and it was being slowly removed from existing lists. It wasn't until 343 took over that AL had a roaring comeback.

Actually, that was Bungie's strategy. "Oh, that didn't work. I guess we'll delete it" with Halo 2, 3, and Reach matchmaking. Halo 2 they deleted certain broken vehicles from playlists, Halo 3 had the equipment mostly removed, and Reach had AL being downplayed. This ability is gone in Halo 4. Boltshot's broken? Well.. can't do anything about it, because you let everyone choose it globally as a starting weapon. In Reach or 3 they would have just deleted it from the maps, loadouts, or increased it's spawn timer. Now 343 has to spend the money and time on a TU to nerf the weapon, but they still have to keep the weapon.

My one wish if they were to keep loadouts.

BR / Carbine / Light Rifle
ODST SMG / Halo 1 Plasma Rifle / Sentinel Beam or something

No secondaries, any weapons can go anywhere. Selecting one weapon twice spawns you with only one weapon, but it has its ammo maxed out.

Grenades: 2x Frag, 2x Pulse, 1x Each are options.

Armor Abilities are gone from loadouts except in Big Team. Camo, Prom Vision and Jet Pack switched to ordnance. Hardlight Shield has a maximum duration of one second, requires a one-second delay to activate, but compensates by deflecting everything rather than nullifying bullets (similar to Fox's Reflector in SSB).

Perks (Armor Mods) are switched to a trait component in custom games, being a checklist - changes like Dexterity, Stability, Explosives etc. are applied universally by gametype rather than per loadout.

The existing Spartan Points that would be "lost" by these changes could instead be used to unlock one armor piece or emblem (not a set) apiece.

Fotos

My one wish if they were to keep loadouts.

BR / Carbine / Light Rifle
ODST SMG / Halo 1 Plasma Rifle / Sentinel Beam or something

No secondaries, any weapons can go anywhere. Selecting one weapon twice spawns you with only one weapon, but it has its ammo maxed out.

Grenades: 2x Frag, 2x Pulse, 1x Each are options.

Armor Abilities are gone from loadouts except in Big Team. Camo, Prom Vision and Jet Pack switched to ordnance. Hardlight Shield has a maximum duration of one second, requires a one-second delay to activate, but compensates by deflecting everything rather than nullifying bullets (similar to Fox's Reflector in SSB).

Perks (Armor Mods) are switched to a trait component in custom games, being a checklist - changes like Dexterity, Stability, Explosives etc. are applied universally by gametype rather than per loadout.

The existing Spartan Points that would be "lost" by these changes could instead be used to unlock one armor piece or emblem (not a set) apiece.

That would be less like Halo than Halo 4.

Nebula

This is starting to turn into Reach all over again. Not enough is being done, and if anything does happen, it happens too late. I'm waiting for population splits from the half assed TU we're going to get, that 343 will be scared to implement in all playlists off the bat because they don't want to alienate people and make the 4 months they spent adjusting to the release version of Halo 4 seem pointless.

Man do I hope 343 prove me wrong.

This is starting to turn into Reach all over again. Not enough is being done, and if anything does happen, it happens too late. I'm waiting for population splits from the half assed TU we're going to get, that 343 will be scared to implement in all playlists off the bat because they don't want to alienate people and make the 4 months they spent adjusting to the release version of Halo 4 seem pointless.

Man do I hope 343 prove me wrong.

They wont apply the TU to only half the game. The whole point of that in Reach was to allow the more classical play style of Halo CE anniversary without annihilating what they already had in Reach. There is no Anniversary game now. So the TU should be for everyone. If anything, if they're smart, they should add a ton more custom options like that they could tweak the game without having to wait 6 months for a TU every time. You know, the way it should have been to begin with.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Man the scattershot sucks.

i actually think its pretty awesome. wildly inconsistent, but its rapid fire enough to be quite beastly. its no shotgun - but i dont think it was meant to be a direct equivalent to that.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Anyone read Silentium yet? I heard people were able to get early copies and was wondering how much is revealed about the Precursors and other races.

blamite

Without a TU it's the only way they can do it. They did not add the capability to ban weapons from loadouts, probably because it would have raised the UI complexity (do you let them select a fallback? Do you let them select one slot, but not the other? What if they use the double Primary and put the weapon you expect them to have in slot 2?)

Such is the corner you write yourself into with a CoD global loadouts system. You lose control over the sandbox in playlists, and can't thwart it without removing the customization feature. Reach had loadouts but Bungie had the ability to control them at the playlist level and the map level even if they wanted to because they didn't allow you to set them globally. And they were - every new playlist they were shipping after the armor lock feedback did not have AL, and it was being slowly removed from existing lists. It wasn't until 343 took over that AL had a roaring comeback.

Actually, that was Bungie's strategy. "Oh, that didn't work. I guess we'll delete it" with Halo 2, 3, and Reach matchmaking. Halo 2 they deleted certain broken vehicles from playlists, Halo 3 had the equipment mostly removed, and Reach had AL being downplayed. This ability is gone in Halo 4. Boltshot's broken? Well.. can't do anything about it, because you let everyone choose it globally as a starting weapon. In Reach or 3 they would have just deleted it from the maps, loadouts, or increased it's spawn timer. Now 343 has to spend the money and time on a TU to nerf the weapon, but they still have to keep the weapon.

I think a fairly elegant solution would be to make any loadout with a banned item unselectable, and put a big red X over the items that need to be removed. You could either choose another loadout, change the loadout in-game to remove anything banned, or worst case scenario just stick to the gametype presets.

It would still require a TU but they wouldn't have to figure out how to automatically replace things.

Nebula

Wouldn't it be hilarious if 343 didn't remove the Boltshot because it has challenges relating to it? I mean the loadout mastery ones and so on.

That's my point. For close to a decade Halo was part of MLG and was usually their biggest draw, Halo pro's were offered clothing sponsorships and other things etc. And now Halo is on the sidelines and a franchise that was the laughingstock of the competitive shooter industry is having million dollar tourneys and is more competitive than Halo is.

MLG was Halo, really. There's an interview with Sundance where he explains how the idea of MLG was conceived; he basically wanted to take the intensity and competition of basement CE LANS he was having with his friends, put it on a national stage and find the best of the best. The early years of MLG are incredibly inspirational imo, considering from where they started. I also find it a great story that Pucket and the Ogres were friends together before it all began and just so happened to turn into a community-beloved MLG commentator and the best Halo players on the planet respectively.

The collapse of Halo MLG and its popularity as a competitive shooter is probably my biggest disappointment with the franchise. There just aren't that many people who want to put the real effort in to be 'great' at Halo anymore and part of that is that there's no longer an incentive, be that regular tournament prize winnings or an in game rank that challenges you to be the best player that you can be. Without that true lust for competition and edge, Halo becomes merely a videogame.

Striker

From Halo 2 I know they took away the Banshee on Containment because they left a hole in the corner of the map. So it became a Warthog and Scorpion map (and worked really well). They then took off Backwash because of the 360 issues with the Camo powerup causing framerate issues, rather than deleting/replacing the Camo piece from Backwash.

In Halo 3 they essentially removed the Mauler from most maps. Guardian at one point was Mauler Central, so after the removal just was the regular ol' AR and melee show.

I do agree they kind of just tossed things aside a lot rather than fix them.

Top Bottom