• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Overdoziz

Banned
MLG was Halo, really. There's an interview with Sundance where he explains how the idea of MLG was conceived; he basically wanted to take the intensity and competition of basement CE LANS he was having with his friends, put it on a national stage and find the best of the best. The early years of MLG are incredibly inspirational imo, considering from where they started. I also find it a great story that Pucket and the Ogres were friends together before it all began and just so happened to turn into a community-beloved MLG commentator and the best Halo players on the planet respectively.

The collapse of Halo MLG and its popularity as a competitive shooter is probably my biggest disappointment with the franchise. There just aren't that many people who want to put the real effort in to be 'great' at Halo anymore and part of that is that there's no longer an incentive, be that regular tournament prize winnings or an in game rank that challenges you to be the best player that you can be. Without that true lust for competition and edge, Halo becomes merely a videogame.
The drop in popularity of Halo in the competitive scene isn't because there aren't ranks, it's because the games play like shit competitively unless you take away all the dumb-ass shit the developers have added.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I haven't been online all week, and I may not be for some time. My wife was the victim of a violent crime on Monday morning and all my time since then has been spent with her and dealing with various agencies. It's been a very trying and emotionally draining experience.

Sucks man, hope everything is as "ok" as it can be.

Fuchsdh

Is 8 (9 if you want to throw in the Gravity Gauntlet) weapons not enough for a Slayer Pro/Slayer Classic gametype using my sandbox?

I thought about you today when replaying "Forerunner", Wahrer. I wish they'd made the Didact's telekinetic powers more "obvious", like a glowy gauntlet or whatever. It makes sense they'd have that kind of tech, it's just annoying how it's presented like the usual trope of "if this is a mental power why does he have to point."

Although "that sounds good, but the execution is lacking" describes basically all my problems with Halo 4's campaign.

GhaleonEB

I haven't been online all week, and I may not be for some time. My wife was the victim of a violent crime on Monday morning and all my time since then has been spent with her and dealing with various agencies. It's been a very trying and emotionally draining experience.

Was very saddened to read this. All the best.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

wow. thoughts are with you and especially your wife.

Madness

Wouldn't it be hilarious if 343 didn't remove the Boltshot because it has challenges relating to it? I mean the loadout mastery ones and so on.

They're not going to remove any weapon, especially one as popular as the boltshot. At best, they'll make sure certain playlists don't allow it to be used.

But with challenges and unlocks tied to weapons, they can't really remove anything.

I thought about you today when replaying "Forerunner", Wahrer. I wish they'd made the Didact's telekinetic powers more "obvious", like a glowy gauntlet or whatever. It makes sense they'd have that kind of tech, it's just annoying how it's presented like the usual trope of "if this is a mental power why does he have to point."

Although "that sounds good, but the execution is lacking" describes basically all my problems with Halo 4's campaign.

It's funny that you mentioned that - my canon for the Gravity Gauntlet is that it's actually UNSC-developed, but out of a variety of Promethean parts in order to mimic the effects of the Didact's suit. The first time he grabs Chief, there is some considerable motion blur trailing from his fingers to Chief, but I admit it is hard to miss.

My condolences to noobs and dellis, by the way.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Sorry to hear about that Noobs. Stay strong.

Thanks everyone who posted nice things. Sitting in the Charlotte, NC airport trying not to dwell on my dad until I get home.

Brother called me at the office with the news that my Dad is in the hospital and on ventilator.

I visited my parents a couple weeks ago after my Dad suffered a minor stroke.

Still don't have all the details on his current state, but things don't sound good.

heckfu

Banned

Thanks everyone who posted nice things. Sitting in the Charlotte, NC airport trying not to dwell on my dad until I get home.

Brother called me at the office with the news that my Dad is in the hospital and on ventilator.

Still don't have all the details on his current state, but things don't sound good.

Be good man, we're all sending prayers and good vibes your way.

GhaleonEB

I had not heard this. Stay strong, and I hope he pulls through. That's rough, rough stuff, David. <3

TheOddOne

Stay strong, we are all rooting that your pops pulls through.

CyReN

Sorry to hear, hope everything goes ok.

Madness

Hope your father pulls through. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family sir.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

I hope he gets better. :(

Kind of off-topic, but I painted two pieces for my mom's birthday tomorrow and noticed they happened to look slightly Forerunner/UNSC-ish. The BR and Needle Rifle even found their way into the first one, lol.

i2mDLhx.png
rBkHwY6.png

Oh, thats sounds very delicate, i dont know what to say =(.

Today is a sad day, my sister almost got kidnapped near of her work and her boss just yelled at her.

Kind of off-topic, but I painted two pieces for my mom's birthday tomorrow and noticed they happened to look slightly Forerunner/UNSC-ish. The BR and Needle Rifle even found their way into the first one, lol.

http://i.imgur.com/i2mDLhx.png[IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rBkHwY6.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That looks like a sweet map on the right there.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Best wishes to David's father and Hired's wife. It sucks these things are happening, but I'm hopeful for a positive outcome for the both of you.

That looks like a sweet map on the right there.

I like the way you think. Hell, I might as well post all my ideas for future maps so far.

Chronicle
4v4 map that's similar to Sword Base meets Epitaph meets Rat Race in terms of elements, but arranged into a cube rather than being long and rectangular in terms of verticality. It takes place in a Forerunner Cathedral-looking building that's actually the interior of a clocktower, complete with moving parts. There are a variety of gears and mechanisms in the map that move with hardlight "timers" to count down to their (static) moving periods, which allow for an edge in map movement if you can time everything right. It's essentially Gravity Gauntlet Will Rock Your Shit: The Map.

Pridelands
8v8 map set on the Brute homeworld, which is "ruled by magma and magnetism." It takes place on a sunset prairie during a Brute civil war, with settlements visibly burning in the background along with volcanoes. Most of the cover is made out of scrap - think Borderlands. The closest parallel I can draw is a spiritual successor to Standoff with elements of Waterworks.

Tier Zero
Bizarre map that suits anywhere from 4v4 to 8v8 if you close off portions of the map. It's a reconstruction of a large Precursor ship based on what information Cortana's pulled from the Domain, presented in the Infinity. It's sort of like Rat's Nest meets The Pit meets Gemini, but eviscerated, expanded, and rebuilt in Quake 3. There are a ton of catwalks and upper walkways, portals, lifts, and so on, but also a big central hill for vehicles to go through.

Downtown
8v8 map set in New Redmond, where it's sleeting at night. A Superintendent-style AI uses colored billboards and what not (designated red and blue throughout the map) to guide you through portions of the city, sort of like Headlong mixed with Mombasa Streets. A major choke point is a calm coffee shop in the middle of the map which would be the site of flags, territories, etc. and also houses power weapons. And of course, a sci-fi Space Needle (maybe even surrounded by a space elevator - Redmond's half an hour a way from Seattle) would be visible in the skybox.

Pinprick (with some help from Hydranockz)
Spiritual successor to Chiron that relies extensively on mancannons, floating platforms, and the like that work together to form a cohesive, almost organic combat space. 4v4. Some elements from Longest and Chill Out are thrown in there, too. Covenant aesthetic.

Megiddo (name pending)
16v16 map for next-gen. Sort of Infinity mixed with Blood Gulch. Aesthetically it's Halo 4: The Map, relying extensively on Forerunner assets and rocks/dirt in the middle of a giant box canyon sort of like Motocross Madness. This map is heavily vehicle-oriented and more similar to a Battlefield map than anything. The home bases are large and fortress-esque, but also have a beam tower. The middle of the map houses a "Forerunner Shopping Mall" that's prime for infantry combat.

So CMT one of the major groups behind Halo PC modding started a project some time ago which aims to port H2 Campaign to H:CE. Each mission will have 2 variants. Classic with all the stock content and CMT which will have a redone sandbox.

The Team is currently working on making a 3rd completely redone Halo CE campaign and some other side projects so they have a large work load and its going to be some time before anything is released from any of the work been done on any project.

However i just read something pretty interesting. The current plan is to build Turf and District (H2V MP Map) into Outskirts/Metropolis as playable areas. Which is awesome.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So CMT one of the major groups behind Halo PC modding started a project some time ago which aims to port H2 Campaign to H:CE. Each mission will have 2 variants. Classic with all the stock content and CMT which will have a redone sandbox.

The Team is currently working on making a 3rd completely redone Halo CE campaign and some other side projects so they have a large work load and its going to be some time before anything is released from any of the work been done on any project.

However i just read something pretty interesting. The current plan is to build Turf and District (H2V MP Map) into Outskirts/Metropolis as playable areas. Which is awesome.

Their SPv3 Truth and Reconciliation was really fun.

Duji

Without a TU it's the only way they can do it. They did not add the capability to ban weapons from loadouts, probably because it would have raised the UI complexity (do you let them select a fallback? Do you let them select one slot, but not the other? What if they use the double Primary and put the weapon you expect them to have in slot 2?)

Such is the corner you write yourself into with a CoD global loadouts system. You lose control over the sandbox in playlists, and can't thwart it without removing the customization feature. Reach had loadouts but Bungie had the ability to control them at the playlist level and the map level even if they wanted to because they didn't allow you to set them globally. And they were - every new playlist they were shipping after the armor lock feedback did not have AL, and it was being slowly removed from existing lists. It wasn't until 343 took over that AL had a roaring comeback.

Actually, that was Bungie's strategy. "Oh, that didn't work. I guess we'll delete it" with Halo 2, 3, and Reach matchmaking. Halo 2 they deleted certain broken vehicles from playlists, Halo 3 had the equipment mostly removed, and Reach had AL being downplayed. This ability is gone in Halo 4. Boltshot's broken? Well.. can't do anything about it, because you let everyone choose it globally as a starting weapon. In Reach or 3 they would have just deleted it from the maps, loadouts, or increased it's spawn timer. Now 343 has to spend the money and time on a TU to nerf the weapon, but they still have to keep the weapon.
They definitely cornered themselves into it with the loadout customization system. You're right.

ermahgerd guys, idea. What if they brought Invasion back with the following changes:

16v16 due to the generational leap.
Spartan VS Spartan.
Restricted to 5 classes with identical starting weapons, with a much more minor escalation in power throughout the tiers (such as Pistol/ODST SMG -> BR/ODST SMG -> DMR/Assault Rifle)
Power weapons and occasionally vehicles must be locked down like in Invasion Slayer.
The 5 classes have very evident indicators in armor.
While physics are unchanged, the Spartans have to fight "Contras," which are Insurrectionist Spartans wearing modified, contraband Covenant gear. It does not affect gameplay but rather serves as an indicator of class.

Invasion would have 4 primary modes:

Invasion. Lockdown, Lockdown, Capture the Core.

Invasion CTF. Capture the Core, but a team must bring it to three separate areas. Maps would be designed to prevent hunkering down in a broom closet with shotguns.

Lich Plots. It's Three Plots, with a moving hill... and the hill just so happens to be a fucking Lich of all things. It has a permanent tractor beam to allow infantry access. One team's defending the Lich and trying to stop it from being captured, at which point it would "retreat" to the second point, and again to the third and final point. The Lich will try to EMP or even destroy attacking vehicles with it's guns, which can be disabled by damaging the core (which resets every plot). If the attackers win, it blows up.

Lich King. Neutral, 16v16 Crazy King and the hill is always in the Lich, which constantly moves to different locations.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
ermahgerd guys, idea. What if they brought Invasion back with the following changes:

16v16 due to the generational leap.
Spartan VS Spartan.
Restricted to 5 classes with identical starting weapons, with a much more minor escalation in power throughout the tiers (such as Pistol/ODST SMG -> BR/ODST SMG -> DMR/Assault Rifle)
Power weapons and occasionally vehicles must be locked down like in Invasion Slayer.
The 5 classes have very evident indicators in armor.
While physics are unchanged, the Spartans have to fight "Contras," which are Insurrectionist Spartans wearing modified, contraband Covenant gear. It does not affect gameplay but rather serves as an indicator of class.

Invasion would have 4 primary modes:

Invasion. Lockdown, Lockdown, Capture the Core.

Invasion CTF. Capture the Core, but a team must bring it to three separate areas. Maps would be designed to prevent hunkering down in a broom closet with shotguns.

Lich Plots. It's Three Plots, with a moving hill... and the hill just so happens to be a fucking Lich of all things. It has a permanent tractor beam to allow infantry access. One team's defending the Lich and trying to stop it from being captured, at which point it would "retreat" to the second point, and again to the third and final point. The Lich will try to EMP or even destroy attacking vehicles with it's guns, which can be disabled by damaging the core (which resets every plot). If the attackers win, it blows up.

Lich King. Neutral, 16v16 Crazy King and the hill is always in the Lich, which constantly moves to different locations.

With AAs and/or Equipment?

FyreWulff

I realize how lucky I am that my stepdad was able to return to work last week after having his episode.

Holdin' out for ya Noobs and David.

From Halo 2 I know they took away the Banshee on Containment because they left a hole in the corner of the map. So it became a Warthog and Scorpion map (and worked really well). They then took off Backwash because of the 360 issues with the Camo powerup causing framerate issues, rather than deleting/replacing the Camo piece from Backwash.

In Halo 3 they essentially removed the Mauler from most maps. Guardian at one point was Mauler Central, so after the removal just was the regular ol' AR and melee show.

I do agree they kind of just tossed things aside a lot rather than fix them.

I think they had the thought that if it didn't work, it was better to just delete it and try again in the next game. It was also partly due to the fact that they kept LAN compatibility, so they couldn't change those things without breaking it.

It was fun to try and stick the radar jammer in a hiding spot, or throw it in an entirely different direction than your team was coming from so that the other team assumed you were over there trying to cover yourself.

With AAs and/or Equipment?

Each of the 5 classes gets 2 AAs, along with Sprint because the maps would be huge.

Loadout 1: Thruster, Double Jump

Loadout 2: Hologram, Backpedaler (Hologram that walks backwards!)

Loadout 3: Hardlight Shield (1 second to deploy, sustains for 1 second only. Deflects all projectiles a la Fox's Deflector in SSB), Auto Turret (can get headshots now)

Loadout 4: Bubble Shield (follows you, double the Reach radius but only protects teammates, not you), Regen Field (aiming at a teammate or vehicle will shower them in healing rays like a Halo Wars Engineer)

Loadout 5: Spotter (puts a waypoint on an enemy for all your teammates and you to see for 5 seconds, and displays the loadout they're using instead of their name), Nullifier (train your reticle on a target to jam their AAs for 10 seconds)

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Each of the 5 classes gets 2 AAs, along with Sprint because the maps would be huge.

Loadout 1: Thruster, Double Jump

Loadout 2: Hologram, Backpedaler (Hologram that walks backwards!)

Loadout 3: Hardlight Shield (1 second to deploy, sustains for 1 second only. Deflects all projectiles a la Fox's Deflector in SSB), Auto Turret (can get headshots now)

Loadout 4: Bubble Shield (follows you, double the Reach radius but only protects teammates, not you), Regen Field (aiming at a teammate or vehicle will shower them in healing rays like a Halo Wars Engineer)

Loadout 5: Spotter (puts a waypoint on an enemy for all your teammates and you to see for 5 seconds, and displays the loadout they're using instead of their name), Nullifier (train your reticle on a target to jam their AAs for 10 seconds)

I would totally play that, as long as I get my Grenade Launcher. :p

Top Bottom