• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
This spreadsheet might help: https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=A39C946A316F7935!217&app=Excel

When I was still doing challenges, I'd usually go to (I think?) Nothing Can Go Wrong (I think it's in Episode 5) for Watchers. There is a big wave of Watchers at the beginning, and you can just restart it when you've killed the initial wave and keep the challenge progress.

Oh wow, thanks. That was a great suggestion. Just finished this week's Watcher challenge.

IHaveIce

Banned
no. dont be a scrub

1v1 on breakpoint. i get banshee. ars only. no other vehcles and pwer weapons.

7tnD42n.png

Mix

lol this kid has already got himself on my shit list as annoying as all holy hell. I cannot wait to see what other dumb shit he has to say.

On a more positive note, Happy Easter!

Sai-kun

Banned
lol this kid has already got himself on my shit list as annoying as all holy hell. I cannot wait to see what other dumb shit he has to say.

oh man that gaf shit list

heres my gaf shit list:

heckfu

actually a list of users i secretly have a crush on

^
not the full list tho

One thing i wanted to mention about what Josh said.["steep learning curve"] Wasn't Halo always an easy to get into fps? Casuals bought it along with the hardcore. So what's the problem?

JHall

One thing i wanted to mention about what Josh said.["steep learning curve"] Wasn't Halo always an easy to get into fps? Casuals bought it along with the hardcore. So what's the problem?

Easy to play, yet hard to master. That's what Halo used to be. 343i and Bungie decided to kill that.

Easy to play, yet hard to master. That's what Halo used to be. 343i and Bungie decided to kill that.

Yea i think that model is the most fair for both gamers. Although i think this is an issue with the industry in general,look at the latest Gears of war for example.[well at least its a spinoff] I hope this new upcoming generation shakes things up and we get new game play and games have their own unique feel.

Omni

I actually don't consider anyone who posts here to be annoying... Well maybe one person while I was a junior, but I've forgotten who that was. Though wouldn't surprise me if I'm on a few people's 'shit list' because of how [negative/whatever else] I am at times haha.

HaloGAF on repeat. No1curr to read pages.
When isn't it on repeat? :lol

I can't wait until some new things are revealed (new game/expansion/remake/whatever). From what I've seen, these threads seem at their best in those times.

TheOddOne

When isn't it on repeat? :lol

I can't wait until some new things are revealed (new game/expansion/remake/whatever). From what I've seen, these threads seem at their best in those times.
It was pretty unpredictable for a while now. Those times are the best.

Don't believe the false prophet Elzar.

JHall

Yea i think that model is the most fair for both gamers. Although i think this is an issue with the industry in general,look at the latest Gears of war for example.[well at least its a spinoff] I hope this new upcoming generation shakes things up and we get new game play and games have their own unique feel.

It's not just the gaming industry it's society. I work with after school programs teaching kids sports and such. All the elementary schools up here have taken competitive games such as dodgeball out of their curriculum for fear that kids may have their feelings hurt because they aren't as good as some other children. Humans are competitive by nature. There is absolutely nothing wrong with fair, healthy competition.

Holy shit I am watching the 343 GDC talk and am seriously shocked at the reasons that Josh thinks the Didact didnt work.

I read the books, I read the extended fiction, I dont feel like I missed a bit of the story - the Didact just wasn't that great in game.

Playing a game like Bioshock and then watching this post mortem on Halo's story is just shocking - they just don't get it.

The more I watch the more I take offence with.

Havok

I think it kind of depends on whether or not the newer games have added elements that make them play drastically different than the older versions. Something like Headlong, which I adore, was awful in the Breakneck variant because of the new gameplay additions. I wouldn't want to play Warlock in vanilla Halo 4 because I suspect it would play like crap with boltshots, camo, jetpack, vision, whatever.

But having said that, I like the idea of multiplayer as a content platform, where the content transfers from game to game, gets additions and compatibility fixes if needed, where it's more than just a rebuilt mode for every game. Treat those maps like Rock Band songs. I don't really care if the geometry and visuals are updated or not. We're in a weird computer simulation that mostly consists of white buildings and brown rocks anyway. It's probably an expensive thing to ask for, but I sure would enjoy it - if the next Halo came out and all of a sudden there were 60 maps playable in there, you would never have to focus on "filling in the gaps" in your map roster ever again.

FyreWulff

Can we please use the analog stick to determine if you're sprinting then

It's really stupid that you have to lose a button to sprint when you have an input that has 256 levels of tilt

It's really stupid that you have to lose a button to sprint when you have an input that has 256 levels of tilt

This. I don't see why they couldn't just seamlessly integrate Sprint, even as far as the frames between Sprinting and switching to your weapons so it essentially becomes a nonissue. Hell, if they need ways to make it impactful, just bring back Halo 2's Melee system and have elevation-based radar. You don't show up at all crouched, you're only a dot walking, and you have your elevation broadcasted when you're sprinting.

Woah this would be terrible.

People wont want to have to be super careful to only hold the analogue at half tilt to avoid sprinting - this would be a nightmare to control in a fast paced shooter like Halo.

Unless you mean that sprinting doesnt take you into a different animation and instead is just a faster base movement speed. I would be all over that.

FyreWulff

I've often considered developing an FPS and making the sprint button do a sprint animation but not actually make you go faster just to see if people are satisfied with that

Woah this would be terrible.

People wont want to have to be super careful to only hold the analogue at half tilt to avoid sprinting - this would be a nightmare to control in a fast paced shooter like Halo.

Unless you mean that sprinting doesnt take you into a different animation and instead is just a faster base movement speed. I would be all over that.

The Brits already figured this out in a certain other game. Holding the stick all the way forward would put you into a sprint after about 2-3 seconds. You could still do fine movements when needed, but when you were obviously running somewhere then you'd switch into a sprint automatically.

The separate button to sprint is a holdover from everyone copying it from PC.

Top Bottom