• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

As a console player I preferred BC2. Was a lot more "cinematic" whereas BF3 seemed more realistic.

BF3 is still a shit ton of fun though. BF4 on next gen will be better for consoles. Hopefully I can afford the next gen consoles soon.

As a console player I preferred BC2. Was a lot more "cinematic" whereas BF3 seemed more realistic.

BF3 is still a shit ton of fun though. BF4 on next gen will be better for consoles. Hopefully I can afford the next gen consoles soon.

Dirt bikes are the best thing to happen to BF games. I am very fond of CTF as well.

Shadders

Keep loadouts but place plasma pistols, boltshots and stickies on the map instead of being options, remove the DMR/ secondary function of light rifle, add in assault and one flag, remove Infinity anything and bam.

I just fixed BTB.

Yep. When the loadouts were announced, I think this is what we all expected to happen. Having somewhere I can go where there'll be a regular couple of stickies or a Plasma Pistol would really change the game and reduce a lot of my frustrations. Sometimes I feel like I need to die to get the weapon I need.

Hoooly shit! :eek:

Sequel to the best Zelda game ever. I sort of wish they'd gone with 2D sprites though.

Building a Fifa Ultimate Team is so much more fun than anything this game has to offer.

It's the closest a game can come to crack. I thought I'd kicked the habit, but you're pulling me back in - add me if you like (FlawlessC0wboy). If timezones ever smile at us and we're online together I'd be up for a match or two.

Tunavi

Banned
The gameplay video looked fine. I just find it funny that all Nintendo has anymore are Mario (and friends) games and nostalgia games.
Oh please, the last time Nintendo hasn't relied on Mario was in 1898 when they were making card games and managing love hotels.

And since when does good game design = a cheap nostalgia ploy?
Sequel to the best Zelda game ever. I sort of wish they'd gone with 2D sprites though.
I whole heartedly wish they went with 2D sprites. Good 2D never ages.

Guy sitting in a corner with camo and a boltshot who then proceeds to beat me down.

I love this.

3tui7m.jpg

Means he doesn't know what he's talking about

Good question for which there is no answer.

Wow. Okay?

- Guns in the Assault class are more OP than any other installment.
- The Defibrillator and Medkits needs to be cut from Assault and put into a Medic class, like every other BF game.
- Grenade launchers make Engineers more useless and can even be more effective at times.

It's almost like DICE is experimenting with Assault to see if they even want classes anymore. Part of the Battlefield experience is constantly changing your classes to adjust for what's happening in-game. There is now a weapon for everything in the Assault class to help with all situations, not just man-to-man combat like before.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh please, the last time Nintendo hasn't relied on Mario was in 1898 when they were making card games and managing love hotels.

And since when does good game design = a cheap nostalgia ploy?

I whole heartedly wish they went with 2D sprites. Good 2D never ages.

Hey, i didn't say those games were bad, but it's been a while since we've seen any hint of new creativity from Nintendo. Also I find it hilarious that the Wii U continues to have no games.

I'm excited for Mario Golf, why wouldn't you make a Wii U version?

wwm0nkey

While I would like to see 1 new IP from Nintendo I am very happy with what I have now.

Also if Mario Party has online I am going to play the shit out of that and get pissed at everything.

I would like to post this again for everyone, please read Silentium! So good. Does an incredible job of tying together tons of fiction (books, h3 terminals, h4 terminals and story, halo lengends etc) and then tying it all up. I was actually amazed how well 343 weaved all those pieces together. IMO, it improved Halo 4's story.

Tawpgun

Wow. Okay?

- The Defibrillator and Medkits needs to be cut from Assault and put into a Medic class, like every other BF game.
- Grenade launchers make Engineers more useless and can even be more effective at times.

It's almost like DICE is experimenting with Assault to see if they even want classes anymore. Part of the Battlefield experience is constantly changing your classes to adjust for what's happening in-game. There is now a weapon for everything in the Assault class to help with all situations, not just man-to-man combat like before.

Ehhh... disagree. The defib needs to be nerfed though imo.

I would like to post this again for everyone, please read Silentium! So good. Does an incredible job of tying together tons of fiction (books, h3 terminals, h4 terminals and story, halo lengends etc) and then tying it all up. I was actually amazed how well 343 weaved all those pieces together. IMO, it improved Halo 4's story.

book.gif

how do this

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How nice of them to release a book explaining the story of Halo 4 several months after Halo 4 has already been released. If only they would actually put their fiction in the game properly* without making everyone think Halo turned into Final Fantasy.

Halo 2

ElRenoRaven

I wish I could get into pc gaming. I tried, but being stuck to the mouse and keyboard, face right to my monitor was not fun. I tried hard to like it, and now I have an origin library with like 7 games in it and a steam library with about 20 games in it, both dormant.

I tend to play with my 360 controller all the time and I sit back in my recliner and relax. Also I can hook my PC to my TV at anytime so when I feel like it I have 40 inches of PC gaming goodness. lol

Also I find it hilarious that the Wii U continues to have no games.

3DS had no games 2 years ago and now it's basically a powerhouse. The Wii U will probably be the same Q2 2014 onward.

Not the best marketing strategy, but that's Nintendo for ya.

I think they're great and has made me want to play the game more than any map pack. quickcsr.com also got rid of my worries of thinking I had to go to Waypoint more.

From what I've seen over the last couple dozen pages, QuickCSR seems like the main reason you guys are playing it so much. That site is great.

You're still going to see the bullet trail and know his general location though. I 100% agree that it lets the sniper get into position easier, but once he opens fire (unless he moves) he's pretty easy to find. Not that I'm arguing to keep camo, I'd be fine without that too. Just a thought.

I get your points though.

AFTER. HE. SHOOTS. THE. GUN.

That's the issue. If he has first shot with snipe and doesn't miss, then you're dead, end of story. And only lower-level dumbshits sit still after the first kill or two with snipe. This is the same issue with jetpack that people keep forgetting. "So these idiots I'm playing against would just jet straight up, hurr durr. I ain't got no probs with jetpack!" This is the problem with designing gameplay elements around less competent or less skilled players. While these "noobs" or whatever might jetpack straight up only or never leave a single spot with camo, anyone with a brain gets an absurd advantage with these abilities. Getting places you could never get to without jetpack. Getting cover you never could without it. Sniping at angles that would be too risky or visible without camo. The list goes on.

TCKaos

That's the issue. If he has first shot with snipe and doesn't miss, then you're dead, end of story. And only lower-level dumbshits sit still after the first kill or two with snipe. This is the same issue with jetpack that people keep forgetting. "So these idiots I'm playing against would just jet straight up, hurr durr. I ain't got no probs with jetpack!" This is the problem with designing gameplay elements around less competent or less skilled players. While these "noobs" or whatever might jetpack straight up only or never leave a single spot with camo, anyone with a brain gets an absurd advantage with these abilities. Getting places you could never get to without jetpack. Getting cover you never could without it. Sniping at angles that would be too risky or visible without camo. The list goes on.

ExWife 2016 - A Dong we can Blain with

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I get that, I just keep thinking of Valhalla for some reason and since the sniper spawns in the base, camo is not helping that sniper. He grabs it, runs out to the side of the base (or top) and snipes a few people. No one is any the wiser that he's the dude on the team with the sniper until he starts shooting. On other maps where the sniper spawns in more perilous locations I agree with you more, but it seems like on a lot of BTB maps the sniper is in a location where you can pick it up and start killing, not much travel involved. I get your point though.

I also "get" your jetpack comment but the fact remains that I've yet to have any player, "hurr durr" or "with a brain" do much with a jetpack on the huge BTB maps. On the mid to small maps? Yeah, it's incredibly annoying, but my whole discussion was big team alone.

I'm not saying "keep jetpack!" or "keep invis!" by any means, I'm just noting how I have been affected by it in my playtime with Halo 4. Others (obviously) have different stories. It wouldn't kill me if they were removed though.

Kinda random, but what's wrong with BF3? I thought/still think that the game is amazing. I have yet to play a multiplayer game that makes me feel as badass and methodical as BF3 does.
and you just know BF4 is gonna be extremely similar

Console gaming happened.

Wow. Okay?

Yup, the recent DLC in BF3 feels more going lonewolf than working as a team or swarm the enemy team, I think only the engineer is the only pure class, Assault is combined with the Medic and Engineer class and the Recon is combined with Sniper and Engineer class. Funny how support becomes more like an Assault class than the default Assault class.

Onikaan

Sorry for off-topic question HaloGAF:

Anyone had experience with both 3DS systems?

What's the preferred system? XL or Standard.

Gui_PT

I get that, I just keep thinking of Valhalla for some reason and since the sniper spawns in the base, camo is not helping that sniper. He grabs it, runs out to the side of the base (or top) and snipes a few people. No one is any the wiser that he's the dude on the team with the sniper until he starts shooting. On other maps where the sniper spawns in more perilous locations I agree with you more, but it seems like on a lot of BTB maps the sniper is in a location where you can pick it up and start killing, not much travel involved. I get your point though

I've gotten perfections on that map thanks to sniper+camo.
That's the problem, if you know how to use these stupid AA's you get a ridiculous advantage.

This is the problem with designing gameplay elements around less competent or less skilled players. While these "noobs" or whatever might jetpack straight up only or never leave a single spot with camo, anyone with a brain gets an absurd advantage with these abilities. Getting places you could never get to without jetpack. Getting cover you never could without it. Sniping at angles that would be too risky or visible without camo. The list goes on.

Game mechanics should be built around the meta game of good players. If they can't abuse it or break it, then chances are nobody else will be able to. Of course you still get opinions and feedback from everyone else; however, the ones with more experience and understanding of the way things work have more weight to their assessments. That's just life.

It bothers me that Halo players in particular are so in denial of this. "Oh it's just a game. You didn't make it so you're no more right or wrong than I am". Yes, it's a video game, but just playing it doesn't provide you with an understanding of its intricacies.

Some players are not going to see the problem with a certain spawn or a certain weapon. Some aren't going to notice Line of Sight disadvantages or spots that would unbalance a map. They see the Boltshot and say "it's not a problem" or they see an ability and say "Everyone can use it, so it's balanced".

It's because of this that we're stuck unable to provide fixes to these things before they become growing issues. It's like, we have to prove that they are problems instead of test and account for the possibility. That's a poor practice.

Standart is more comfortable to take it outside and play with your friends to collect street passes but the small screen needs a little more bright an requires to stay a certain distance to see the 3D.

XL fixed the bright issues and can play more normally on 3D, the bad thing is the XL is a little too big to take it outside and play.

3dsxlsidebyside.jpg

Standard | $170 USD

○ More color options
○ Smaller size (if you prefer portability)
○ Higher pixel density (games look better)
○ ~3.5 hours battery life (highest brightness I think)

XL | $200 USD

○ Much bigger screens (more comfortable to view games and the 3D effect, but the resolution is slightly worse)
○ More ergonomic design. Also more comfortable if you have larger hands or get cramps.
○ Buttons are more pronounced and stylus is larger. It's placed beneath the console like the DS Lite/DSi instead of on the top like the standard and the original DS Phat
○ ~6.5 hours battery life

It really depends on what you prefer. The XL is an improvement in most ways, but it has drawbacks that still make the Standard an option for some. Some say to treat the 3DS XL like you would a tablet - that way the size will be more manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom