• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
Re: Halo: turned off the stupid vibration on my controller and instantly started playing better. I'm a fool for not turning it off sooner; never would have thought it would make a difference.

or maybe it was because I didn't drink anything last night. Life's mysteries.

Vibration or not Flinch (paired with recoil if you rock a BR) still messes with you aim, just like bloom it's something that does not belong Halo and I feel the only reason Flinch was implemented in the first place was to make the Fishstick (COD/ABS like aiming) button layout work. I really hope they will go back to descoping for future titles (They already stated they can in Halo 4 but they're not doing it).

I do think that flinch is worse than bloom, the reason being I could play Reach with it while in Halo 4 every time flinch (or recoil for that matter) messes with my shots I just have to stop playing because I can't stand such a broken game mechanic.

EDIT
I remember when Free told us to do that. It was during an Avalanche BTB game. Shoulda went pro that day.

No vibe since 2005, feels good.

turn vibration off permanently.

Same here, never had it enabled for console FPS.

Off topic, but what are some good games on steam? I was thinking of getting Skyrim, but I might go with something else.

Skyrim is amazing If you have not played it. Play it as much as you can before installing mods. Typically the modded weapons will be game breaking and the rest of the stuff will serve only as a distraction.

IHaveIce

Banned
I was thinking in regards to that montage thread on the gaming side.

Are we going to have a HaloGaf halo 4 montage at any point?

It would be a shame to miss sharing some of this community's clips, especially since we have one for 3 and Reach.
I have clips ready and can capture them on pc for different people if needed

Would be in for that

Going to see them in June.

-------------------------------------------------

Re: Halo: turned off the stupid vibration on my controller and instantly started playing better. I'm a fool for not turning it off sooner; never would have thought it would make a difference.

or maybe it was because I didn't drink anything last night. Life's mysteries.
I don't know if I could play Halo without vibration, really have to try it sometime

I must ask you. How do you find all of these gifs you use on your posts? You have a perfect one for like every post haha.

R'hllor, the God of Light, guides my way, for HaloGAF is dark and full of gifs.

or maybe it was because I didn't drink anything last night.
hmmmm....

bYN5zon.gif

Anybody else find it fun to read Josh Holmes < insert any topic/activity here > ?
noooooooooooooope.

Oh you mean how for tweet 1 you could sub in Promethean Knights and for tweet 2 you could sub in Halo 4?

Get off my tweets.

Just had a random idea, I blame Over for a post he made ages ago. There could be five types of ammunition:

Bullets / Slag / Plasma / Hardlight / Explosives

Bullets are good against health, bad against shields.

Plasma is the opposite.

Slag is extremely effective against health and vehicles, but very poor against shields. Tends to be automatic. Usually used by Insurrectionists/Brutes/etc.

Hardlight is extremely good against shielding but poor against health and vehicles. Tends to have headshot capability (even in the case of automatics, though damage is simply doubled instead of being made instakill).

Explosive weaponry is average against everything.

You could toggle the power per ammo type in loadouts, trait zones, etc.

The Overdoziz part comes from an idea that could add an element of strategy to combat; Prometheans could have shields weak to bullets and "health" weak to plasma.

Likewise, Flood and Sentinels could be grossly weak to slag, Insurrectionists could be weak to Hardlight, etc.

Vibration or not Flinch (paired with recoil if you rock a BR) still messes with you aim, just like bloom it's something that does not belong Halo and I feel the only reason Flinch was implemented in the first place was to make the Fishstick (COD/ABS like aiming) button layout work. I really hope they will go back to descoping for future titles (They already stated they can in Halo 4 but they're not doing it).

I do think that flinch is worse than bloom, the reason being I could play Reach with it while in Halo 4 every time flinch (or recoil for that matter) messes with my shots I just have to stop playing because I can't stand such a broken game mechanic.
Flinch is a terrible mechanic. I loathe the fact that it was introduced into Halo just so a perk could be used to counteract it, all disguised as more layered combat. Layered dogshit is still dogshit.

hmmmm....

bYN5zon.gif
Pretty much, except more handsome and less funny (also, not as old).

willow ve

turn vibration off permanently. only good game with vibration was star fox 64 and rez
Star Fox 64 had great campaign and multiplayer. Why don't they make good flying games anymore?

Also, flinch sucks. It's fine in a game where every weapon is a two shot kill. With five shot weapons it's annoying and gives a genuine advantage to stability perk users.

DeadNames

Banned
Skyrim is amazing If you have not played it. Play it as much as you can before installing mods. Typically the modded weapons will be game breaking and the rest of the stuff will serve only as a distraction.

Ive played it on xbox and was meaning to play it again,so might as well get it on computer with mods and stuff.

Just had a random idea, I blame Over for a post he made ages ago. There could be five types of ammunition.

Borderlands?

Or they can make the vehicles recive no damage against bullets and forerunner weapons, 5% plasma damage, 5% grenade damage, 10% against plasma grenades and no link the players health with the vehicle unless you blow its cabin.

Booshka

We need a new Crimson Skies.

I was thinking the same thing. Does MS still own the IP or did Jordan Weisman get it back?

Either way, I loved Crimson Skies on Xbox, solid Campaign and the Multiplayer was amazing, game ran very smooth even with 16 players. Doppleganger was my jam in that game, loved that single shot cannon.

TheOddOne

Just had a random idea, I blame Over for a post he made ages ago. There could be five types of ammunition:

Bullets / Slag / Plasma / Hardlight / Explosives

Bullets are good against health, bad against shields.

Plasma is the opposite.

Slag is extremely effective against health and vehicles, but very poor against shields. Tends to be automatic. Usually used by Insurrectionists/Brutes/etc.

Hardlight is extremely good against shielding but poor against health and vehicles. Tends to have headshot capability (even in the case of automatics, though damage is simply doubled instead of being made instakill).

Explosive weaponry is average against everything.

You could toggle the power per ammo type in loadouts, trait zones, etc.

The Overdoziz part comes from an idea that could add an element of strategy to combat; Prometheans could have shields weak to bullets and "health" weak to plasma.

Likewise, Flood and Sentinels could be grossly weak to slag, Insurrectionists could be weak to Hardlight, etc.
Moar Rock-paper-scissors? WHEN WILL YOU LEARN 434. DAT SHIT STOOPID.

Booshka

I don't know how anyone plays with Vibration. It was kinda fun when I was playing Halo CE Campaign a bunch, but once I started playing MP all the time, my friend was like turn off vibe, shit is just annoying. Never looked back, over a decade with no vibration.

I do like Vibration for Racing games, specifically Forza, helps me feel the tires and car when going through turns, hard braking and acceleration.

But for shooters, it's ridiculous, imagine if PC FPS had vibration on their mouse, imagine what that would do to your aim, it has a similar effect on controllers, just not as big of a deal because of all the aim assist.

Effects of vibration are overblown. It doesn't affect my aim, personally, and I tend to use it as another piece of sensory input. There are many instances where the vibration gives you information that you might not otherwise have.

Since we're on the topic, I play inverted, 4 sens, Recon. Get on my level.

EDIT: I should note that its usefulness is more applicable in H4 than previous titles due to the shitty sound mixing in MP.

My hands are fairly ruined from nearly 20 years in the construction industry, so every little bit helps me.

results may vary

My hands are fairly well-tuned from >20 years of console and PC gaming, coding, manicures, and saxophone-playing.

I will still say this about Halo 4. It has good rocks

"I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"

What if the Gravity Gauntlet worked like a Portal Gun mixed with a TF2 Engie's teleporter mixed with a fishing rod?

That is, you can lay down two portals (represented by Forerunner-styled glowing glyphs on the floor) to create a unique two-way channel that anyone can use. After 5 uses, regardless of player or team affiliation, your gun overheats and they disappear. Spawning a teleporter glyph takes 5 battery, but you can also charge a shot to dramatically increase its range. A charge shot eats up 1 battery per meter traveled.

You can also reel in players and weapons but it's very charge-intensive, and reel-induced overheats will kill your warp gates.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Effects of vibration are overblown. It doesn't affect my aim, personally, and I tend to use it as another piece of sensory input. There are many instances where the vibration gives you information that you might not otherwise have.

Since we're on the topic, I play inverted, 4 sens, Recon. Get on my level.

EDIT: I should note that its usefulness is more applicable in H4 than previous titles due to the shitty sound mixing in MP.

My hands are fairly well-tuned from >20 years of console and PC gaming, coding, manicures, and saxophone-playing.

Ew

Non invert, vibration on, 2 sensitivity, and recon fo lyfe

rakka

no vibe, inverted, sensitivity 8, default layout, 1.5kd.

I've found that my controller lasts longer between recharges with vibrate off.

also how can ppl play on 1-2 sensitivity? not being able to quickly turn around would be incredibly irritating. with all the aim assist head shots are still easy even on 10.

Mix

Does vibration really make that much of a difference?

Also, go to drmcninja.com and laugh your asses off. Absolutely the funniest comic I've read

kylej

Banned
smh. reading about sofia vergara wearing negligees and silk robes for pajamas to impress her fiance. this dude.

nick-loeb-headshot-casual.jpg

i need to get rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom