• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're posting too much :(

9QCeaUJ.png

Jesus christ you guys are posting more than Wahrer? Slow down with the fanwank fer chrissakes.

Madness

Nah, I was pointing out the irony of older members claiming that the new guys shit up the thread while it's actually them a lot of the time.

Either way, it's super meta and should probably be dropped. Wasn't insulting you or any of the other new guys.

Eh, what's wrong with calling it like it is? It's the truth. We're all grown ups here. I'll say it myself, the older members are the first to say the majority of the newer posters are waypoint kids who joined to talk with Frankie, but when he posts, they're the first to reply or write tons of posts. I got called out the other day by some member who was drunk and made little sense how I'm just here to talk to Frankie or something.

Just look at the Heckfu situation a bit back. At first I felt bad he was leaving, saying his contributions were glossed over, no one really read his points and yet he barely talked about Halo and was more concerned about trying to police the thread telling people not to post so much, even though they had valid points.

It's the Halo community thread. Encompasses the whole community, all of the games. You take the good and the bad. Don't like the level of discourse here, try and change it, if it doesn't change, just leave. This is an Internet forum, not the military. You don't desrve salutes or get to rag on others because you have seniority or rank.

Mix

Eh, what's wrong with calling it like it is? It's the truth. We're all grown ups here. I'll say it myself, the older members are the first to say the majority of the newer posters are waypoint kids who joined to talk with Frankie, but when he posts, they're the first to reply or write tons of posts. Just look at the Heckfu situation a bit back. Saying his contributions were glossed over, no one really read his points and yet he barely talked about Halo and was more concerned about trying to police the thread telling people not to post so much, even though they had valid points.

It's the Halo community thread. Encompasses the whole community, all of the games. You take the good and the bad. Don't like the level of discourse here, try and change it, if it doesn't change, just leave. This is an Internet forum, not the military. You don't desrve salutes or get to rag on others because you have seniority or rank.
I understand calling it as it may seem, but you also have to understand that some of us come from other respects and backgrounds. I have been a follower of haloGAF since 2009 and I did not join to bother people I talk to anyway. I'm here because I feel that this is a fun place to be. I'm a junior, okay, cool beans. Why does it matter? I've read the way many of the "seniors" posted and I'm fairly on par wit those standards.

ETA on Halo shenaningans?

I'm on at the moment and don't see anyone on. There's been talk that it's an hour away yet. I was talking with Krow there and now I'm tempted to play that Tiberium Wars game for the 360 he got me years ago just for the lols. Currently sitting on the Halo 4 menu though if anyone would be on soon enough.

I'm on at the moment and don't see anyone on. There's been talk that it's an hour away yet. I was talking with Krow there and now I'm tempted to play that Tiberium Wars game for the 360 he got me years ago just for the lols. Currently sitting on the Halo 4 menu though if anyone would be on soon enough.

If everyone is on in an hour, that is perfect. I should be on around that time.

Ramirez

I seriously miss enjoying this place. It's so back and forth now that I just try to place banter in to lighten up the space. I post because I wanted to for so long; because I genuinely enjoyed all of you people and the discussions you had. I want, no, I NEED the next OT to be more positive than this one.

Is this real life?

Madness

I understand calling it as it may seem, but you also have to understand that some of us come from other respects and backgrounds. I have been a follower of haloGAF since 2009 and I did not join to bother people I talk to anyway. I'm here because I feel that this is a fun place to be. I'm a junior, okay, cool beans. Why does it matter? I've read the way many of the "seniors" posted and I'm fairly on par wit those standards.

I've been following HaloGAF since 2008, what are you trying to say? That we should actively take shit because they were here longer or first? That our contributions aren't worth the same solely because we didn't register when they did?

I used to post more at Bungie.net for Halo discussion but they've moved on and it's more Destiny, so I post here. I don't like Halo 4 much, but I play it routinely, share my thoughts here.

I think the older posters here definitely deserve the right to be wary of juniors and new members coming and changing the discussion, but to dismiss newer members outright or ignore them is just dumb.

Ramirez

No one ignores anyone because they're a junior member, or new to the community. Anyone who believes that is delusional. Most of the people lamenting today's HaloGAF weren't even around for Halo 3 HaloGAF, and yet they were accepted by the community back when they first started.

Just don't have diarrhea of the hands through your keyboard, pretty simple.

I've been posting here for two years, reading since sometime during the middle of Halo 3's lifespan. This place no question has been getting worse. It's impossible to put that on one reason though. I don't actually post often, I read a lot more than post. I don't play with anyone here online or talk to anybody outside of the thread, so I don't really have any kind of attachments or allegiances.

From my perspective the decline in quality posts here is a combination of a few things.

1. Halo as a video game, has declined since Halo 3. I'm not saying Halo 3 was perfect, or that everyone liked it and enjoyed it. As a whole though, the overall Halo community enjoyed it more than Reach and 4. I'm not saying nobody likes Reach or 4, or that nobody enjoys those more than 3. But based on the overall reaction to the game, more people liked 3, and since then people have liked the games less and less. You can also look at the overall player population which I know is brought up daily for further proof of this.

Since less people are enjoying and playing the game, less actual game discussion is taking place. I remember when I used to read the Halo 3 OT, there would be in-depth arguments between people like EazyB and Ghaleon on precision weapons and their place in the sandbox. Both sides had well-written arguments and were mostly respectful towards each other. At the time, the bigger issues of the game were small things like weapon starts, such as the well-known BR vs. AR debate.

Once Reach released, and more prominent issues such as reticule bloom, armor lock, player movement, lack of maps, etc. arose, the arguments became more intense and personal. The general attitude of negativity(not seeing there was anything totally wrong with it) took over the thread. With 4, the hype returned due to the hope of "Halo's return." You couldn't go a day without the BEL343 stuff being posted. Once Halo 4 was out, people realized it had just as many, if not more problems than Reach. Due to the years of frustration with Reach, and the new disappointment with 4, the attitude became even more negative. Nobody is being negative just because, and nobody is without reason. Everyone here loves Halo and wants it to be the best game possible, but a lot of people are just frustrated with the current state of the game and the series.

2. I can't remember how long ago it was, but I know for a while, a lot of users here were going to Waypoint and trolling them. It was pretty funny, I'm not going to deny it, but it had a side-effect that came with it. Many of them had never heard of GAF, but when they finally did, they realized Frankie, and David, and others from 343 and Bungie posted here. Of course they are going to want to join and be able to talk with the makers of Halo. It seemed like right after all the trolling, was when the influx of Waypoint posters began posting here. I'm not going to sit and here say that every Waypoint member is a bad poster, but there is a reason that Bungie and 343 devs post here, and not in their own forums. Like I said, this doesn't apply to every single individual, but I think it's clear that so many of them joining here is a part of the problem.

3. Some people use this thread as their facebook and twitter. I am not going to say any names, or call out anyone specifically, but it turns the thread into an off-topic mess sometimes. I, along with many others, just want to discuss Halo here. There's a reason social media sites exist, use them, don't turn the Halo OT into a blog or facebook. This point might seem a little mean, but I'm just calling it how I see it. I'm not saying going off-topic every now and then is wrong either, but I mean there are some people who use this thread is their personal soapbox too much.

So, as I said, I don't have any relationships with anyone here, so I'm not posting this trying to take a certain side on this whole issue. I'm just giving my point of view, which I think is pretty unbiased when it comes to this subject.

Potential megaton. A known sonic info leaker has called the nextbox "Xbox Infinite". It could just be sitting with the current expected names but its something.

Trasher

I've been posting here for two years, reading since sometime during the middle of Halo 3's lifespan. This place no question has been getting worse. It's impossible to put that on one reason though. I don't actually post often, I read a lot more than post. I don't play with anyone here online or talk to anybody outside of the thread, so I don't really have any kind of attachments or allegiances.

From my perspective the decline in quality posts here is a combination of a few things.

1. Halo as a video game, has declined since Halo 3. I'm not saying Halo 3 was perfect, or that everyone liked it and enjoyed it. As a whole though, the overall Halo community enjoyed it more than Reach and 4. I'm not saying nobody likes Reach or 4, or that nobody enjoys those more than 3. But based on the overall reaction to the game, more people liked 3, and since then people have liked the games less and less. You can also look at the overall player population which I know is brought up daily for further proof of this.

Since less people are enjoying and playing the game, less actual game discussion is taking place. I remember when I used to read the Halo 3 OT, there would be in-depth arguments between people like EazyB and Ghaleon on precision weapons and their place in the sandbox. Both sides had well-written arguments and were mostly respectful towards each other. At the time, the bigger issues of the game were small things like weapon starts, such as the well-known BR vs. AR debate.

Once Reach released, and more prominent issues such as reticule bloom, armor lock, player movement, lack of maps, etc. arose, the arguments became more intense and personal. The general attitude of negativity(not seeing there was anything totally wrong with it) took over the thread. With 4, the hype returned due to the hope of "Halo's return." You couldn't go a day without the BEL343 stuff being posted. Once Halo 4 was out, people realized it had just as many, if not more problems than Reach. Due to the years of frustration with Reach, and the new disappointment with 4, the attitude became even more negative. Nobody is being negative just because, and nobody is without reason. Everyone here loves Halo and wants it to be the best game possible, but a lot of people are just frustrated with the current state of the game and the series.

2. I can't remember how long ago it was, but I know for a while, a lot of users here were going to Waypoint and trolling them. It was pretty funny, I'm not going to deny it, but it had a side-effect that came with it. Many of them had never heard of GAF, but when they finally did, they realized Frankie, and David, and others from 343 and Bungie posted here. Of course they are going to want to join and be able to talk with the makers of Halo. It seemed like right after all the trolling, was when the influx of Waypoint posters began posting here. I'm not going to sit and here say that every Waypoint member is a bad poster, but there is a reason that Bungie and 343 devs post here, and not in their own forums. Like I said, this doesn't apply to every single individual, but I think it's clear that so many of them joining here is a part of the problem.

3. Some people use this thread as their facebook and twitter. I am not going to say any names, or call out anyone specifically, but it turns the thread into an off-topic mess sometimes. I, along with many others, just want to discuss Halo here. There's a reason social media sites exist, use them, don't turn the Halo OT into a blog or facebook. This point might seem a little mean, but I'm just calling it how I see it. I'm not saying going off-topic every now and then is wrong either, but I mean there are some people who use this thread is their personal soapbox too much.

So, as I said, I don't have any relationships with anyone here, so I'm not posting this trying to take a certain side on this whole issue. I'm just giving my point of view, which I think is pretty unbiased when it comes to this subject.

Honestly not disrespecting your post, but this made me laugh.

If EazyB were here, he'd laugh too.

Havok

Firstly, I meant to type "Halogaf doesn't play Halo 4" which is an important distinction. Secondly, re-read the second sentence of my post. 'Multiple posters in the thread playing the latest Halo on a frequent basis' is an allusion to a time when the vast bulk of the community thread actively played the current Halo game ala the Halo 3 thread (which, upon recent reinspection, had a lot of back and forth on the minutiae of said Halo game). Of course people who post on gaf play Halo 4 but if you look at that Halo 3 thread, I don't think there's a single poster there who wasn't actually playing Halo 3 on a regular basis. I'm aware that many of the people who occasionally post in this thread play Halo 4 - yourself, Cyclone, Jazzy, Nockz, three legged goat, Havok and more - but there are an equal amount if not more who do not play Halo 4 or play so infrequently that they don't have much to say about it beyond the obvious stuff that was called out when it was first revealed in GI. To think that I was belittling yours and newer members contributions as irrelevant missed the point of the post. Whatever you think about the old guard of this thread you cannot deny it misses posters such as Ghaleon, Dax and the insights of remaining posters when they're actually playing the game on the regular.
You have more H4 games played than I do :p

No one ignores anyone because they're a junior member, or new to the community. Anyone who believes that is delusional. Most of the people lamenting today's HaloGAF weren't even around for Halo 3 HaloGAF, and yet they were accepted by the community back when they first started.

Just don't have diarrhea of the hands through your keyboard, pretty simple.
I agree with this, with a caveat: I think some of the newer folks forget to slow down sometimes, regardless of hand diarrhea status. Everybody's guilty of it when they start - as an example (and absolutely not to pick on anyone), in 2008 after Dax joined, she was a super enthusiastic poster, replying to a huge number of posts, and folks (myself included, now that I check that page - and I won't even pretend that I played much of a role in the Halo 3 thread, though I participated in games with the community fairly regularly) suggested she slow down. She took that feedback and used it, and ended up as a great member of the community. If you look back on a page and find you're dominating the conversation with volume, maybe dial it down and people will be much more receptive to you.

I guess the constantly flashing Sophie Ellis-Bextor animated avatar didn't help. RIP animated avatars.

Ramirez

I agree with this, with a caveat: I think some of the newer folks forget to slow down sometimes, regardless of hand diarrhea status. Everybody's guilty of it when they start - in 2008 after Dax joined, she was a super enthusiastic poster, replying to a huge number of posts, and folks (myself included, now that I check that page - and I won't even pretend that I played much of a role in the Halo 3 thread, though I participated in games with the community fairly regularly) suggested she slow down. She took that feedback and used it, and ended up as a great member of the community. If you look back on a page and find you're dominating the conversation with volume, maybe dial it down and people will be much more receptive to you.

I guess the constantly flashing Sophie Ellis-Bextor animated avatar didn't help. RIP animated avatars.

Of course, I was a terrible poster when I first joined. Leet speak out the ass, constant talk of owning someone. You tough it out and shape yourself into something readable, or you become Tashi, such a fine line.

Hostility. People being assholes. Extreme negativity versus criticism.

Sounds like the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom