• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadders

Well, i really hope they won't. They have to be smarter than that.
I mean, I like these elements in games, TV shows or movies, but only when it's there (or hinted at) from the beginning or something.

I know it pretty much happened in First Strike, but I hope they just forget about it, because I certainly don't want it to touch the games.

You're right, there needs to be some sort of established precedent for it within that universe. Halo has gone on too long now to start adding multiverse nonsense now. If they'd wanted to do it, the Forerunner trilogy of books would have been their opportunity to introduce it.

We have the dilation of time within the Forerunner structures, but time is till moving linearly forward.

Havok

Why does Red base have a man-cannon allowing snappy cross-map traversal but Blue base doesn't? Myself and aformentioned friend were playing as a team of two so inevitably we were matched with BK's. It was significantly harder to cap a flag as Red team. It always reflected really poorly on the people in charge when asymmetrical maps would be put into slayer playlists and one team would be gifted an inherent advantage at spawn (red team on Guardian - snipe, OS and camo, Red team on Reflection - instant rockets, red team on Lockout - instant BR tower and favourable route to snipe). But Daybreak in Halo 4? As far as I can tell it was purpose built for two flag CTF, which marks the inclusion of a man-cannon in one base only as something approaching the level of a scandal. It would be like creating Narrows in Halo 3 but deleting the man-cannon from one side only (then saying 'lol functionally symmetrical'). It's an insult to people paying money to play this shit and somebody senior at 343 really ought to take this franchise by the scruff of the neck and just flat out fire people who are making decisions like that, gross misconduct, immediate dismissal, enough is enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5y5RfrZpjs&t=1m38s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5y5RfrZpjs&t=3m50s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5y5RfrZpjs&t=2m43s

baf·fle [baf-uhl] baf·fled, baf·fling, noun
verb (used with object)
1. to confuse, bewilder, or perplex
2. to frustrate or confound; thwart by creating confusion or bewilderment.

Gui_PT

Why do weapons from dead people despawn so fast btw?

Is it like a resource thing that makes them have to despawn stuff within a short time frame? (doubt it)

Or is it a decision they made? If it's a decision they made, it was a really bad one because it doesn't promote map movement.

If I have rockets and I die, I sure as hell won't try to get the rockets again because they'll be long gone before I get there. Teammates shouldn't even bother either unless they're right by my side when I die.

rakka

343 really doesn't give a single shit about split screen players.

me and the gf can no longer play infinity slayer along with pretty much every other playlist now that forge maps are in rotation.

was it that hard to drop the detail a bit to make for fucking playable framerate in splitscreen? at least we only had to deal with backing out of complex matches before. now we have to quit 2 out of 3 games.

the maps themselves are good. the performance is total fucking ass.

oh bungie how i miss you.

Is it like a resource thing that makes them have to despawn stuff within a short time frame? (doubt it)

Or is it a decision they made? If it's a decision they made, it was a really bad one because it doesn't promote map movement.

If I have rockets and I die, I sure as hell won't try to get the rockets again because they'll be long gone before I get there. Teammates shouldn't even bother either unless they're right by my side when I die.

Its only been said like 12,000 times. It was a decision, based on ordinance. Because of all the ordinance they felt there can be too many power weapons in the match at one time.

The solution? Make every weapon a killed player drops despawn after like 10 seconds unless someone is looking right at the gun.

Terrible fucking idea/excuse.

Im not usually on team salt but some of the shit that made it into this game is baffling.

Havok

I'm pretty sure they've said that it was a conscious decision to reduce the number of active power weapons on the map at a given time specifically because Infinity was going to be dropping so many as personal ordnance. Why is one kind of lame Slayer mode dictating global changes that actively make the game worse for the other gametypes, you ask? Who knows.

343 really doesn't give a single shit about split screen players.

me and the gf can no longer play infinity slayer along with pretty much every other playlist now that forge maps are in rotation.

was it that hard to drop the detail a bit to make for fucking playable framerate in splitscreen? at least we only had to deal with backing out of complex matches before. now we have to quit 2 out of 3 games.

the maps themselves are good. the performance is total fucking ass.

oh bungie how i miss you.

People complain that forge maps are ugly and you want to reduce the detail? Like it or not split screen players are a minority (just look at how much everyone here despises playing with randoms with guests).

Gui_PT

Its only been said like 12,000 times. It was a decision, based on ordinance. Because of all the ordinance they felt there can be too many power weapons in the match at one time.

The solution? Make every weapon a killed player drops despawn after like 10 seconds unless someone is looking right at the gun.

Terrible fucking idea/excuse.

Im not usually on team salt but some of the shit that made it into this game is baffling.

I'm pretty sure they've said that it was a conscious decision to reduce the number of active power weapons on the map at a given time specifically because Infinity was going to be dropping so many as personal ordnance. Why is one kind of lame Slayer mode dictating global changes that actively make the game worse for the other gametypes, you ask? Who knows.

I wasn't aware. Thanks guys.
And yeah it was a bad decision imo. It feels like they've made all these changes and didn't bother to test any of them =\

JIP into infinity slayer, network trick and escape.

JIP again, cant escape, down by 20 kills against a team of 4.

This game is unplayable solo.

I wasn't aware. Thanks guys.
And yeah it was a bad decision imo. It feels like they've made all these changes and didn't bother to test any of them =\

Crimson maps are a prime example of this. Ive only played wreckage once or twice and how the frame rate got through testing I have no idea.

Duji

When one kid wants to go to BK and one kid doesnt care. You dont goto Mcdonalds.

You goto BK.

Casuals are that fucking kid that doesnt care and good kids are the kids who want to goto BK. IF YOU DIDNT GET THE EASY AS SHIT DUMB AS FUCK META4.

In conclusion. Get the D stain casshies

Haha I love this analogy.

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
People complain that forge maps are ugly and you want to reduce the detail? Like it or not split screen players are a minority (just look at how much everyone here despises playing with randoms with guests).

If you are playing split-screen the details get reduced. Simple as that. Split-screen in Halo 4 is unplayable on most maps and leads to such frustrating experiences that you just want to set the disc on fire. This is LAN split-screen, imagine matchmaking.

Duji

When you look at the behaviour of some pros at tournaments and the sheer immaturity in trash talking and terms yelled out you can hardly say they're poster-child material either. It goes both ways.

You're comparing spontaneous trash talk meant to psychologically undermine an opposing team (when money is on the line) to a thought out and planned video of some kid bragging about his dope ass "swag". Probably the worst comparison I have ever heard of.

Wouldn't surprise me if 343i just dropped split screen support altogether in their next game

Yeah-- that seems to be the trend even this gen. It's a shame too because of how much I played H2/3 split screen.

What does split screen have to do with disliking randoms?

What I was getting at was that many don't like being matched with guests in matchmaking. And that all guests are by definition split screen.

Splitscreen can be played with two and more Gold accounts.

I could be wrong but I would think that few people do that compared to the 1 Gold + guests.

rakka

"the maps are ugly as it is" is a piss poor excuse. right from the get go every btb and forge map in splitscreen feels as if its running at single digit fps. hell, forge in 4 if anything is a downgrade compared to reach, e.g forge world. forge maps in splitscreen ran perfectly fine in reach. at most times a near solid 25-30fps.

if it was simply performance then maybe I'd just accept that 343 did the best they could with the provided hardware. but you've got reticules that aren't scaled down like in previous halos, radar that's hard to see even on a large HDTV, ridiculously small not to mention allcaps killfeed and scoreboard text, the list goes on. were these issues because of hardware limitations too, nope. 343 just doesn't give a shit, at least when you compare it with bungies effort in splitscreen.

and as already mentioned what do randoms with guests have to do with splitscreen? you're aware gold accounts can play splitscreen, right?

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
"the maps are ugly as it is" is a piss poor excuse. right from the get go every btb and forge map in splitscreen feels as if its running at single digit fps. hell, forge in 4 if anything is a downgrade compared to reach, e.g forge world. forge maps in splitscreen ran perfectly fine in reach. at most times a near solid 25-30fps.

if it was simply performance then maybe I'd just accept that 343 did the best they could with the provided hardware. but you've got reticules that aren't scaled down like in previous halos, radar that's hard to see even on a large HDTV, ridiculously small not to mention allcaps killfeed and scoreboard text, the list goes on. were these issues because of hardware limitations too, nope. 343 just doesn't give a shit, at least when you compare it with bungies effort in splitscreen.

and as already mentioned what do randoms with guests have to do with splitscreen? you're aware gold accounts can play splitscreen, right?
QFT.

Split-screen has always been a peculiar feature in Halo games. I'd really love to know what's the official reason for it being so overlooked in Halo 4.

IHaveIce

Banned

Forge maps ran perfectly fine in Reach? In splitscreen? No way.

I understand that you are angry but like Blue said are splitscreen players the minority (or guests, fuck guests) and it was also a problem in bungie's games.

They have enough to fix for fullscreen players lol, of course splitscreen sucks.

They definitely dropped the ball compared to Bungie, no arguments there. It's interesting to compare 343's prioritites compared to Bungie. Bungie had pretty strict guidelines with respect to forge maps and splitscreen, as well as version compatibility which at times limited them in what they would do.

343 on the other hand seems much more willing to throw splitscreen under a bus, as well as to make progressive changes as time goes on.

It's a lot harder to notice. You can easily tell if there are guests.

Very true. Maybe it's just easy to hate on guests since it's so easy to pick out when they play are on your team and play poorly.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ah3u3i.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami
Man, I can't wait for SRIV. Probably going to be my last purchase this gen, and it's only fitting. Ending it with a bang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom