• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Huh I did not know this until a few min ago but apparently in some LCD screens switching your 360 to display in RGB can reduce input lag as well. It worked for my set at least.

It can be sometimes but if you have a LCD disable EVERY extra feature you have though like Film mode, MPEG/Digitial video noise reduction and TuMotion and you will notice a world of difference.

The input lag on my TV was horrendous, literally made it unplayable. After some time researching I found my TV has a game mode which is about 4 menus deep and super inconvenient.

Just looked there and my TV has a game mode. Not sure what exactly it does, will test it later. Thanks for the info

Need 2 for Throwdown
GT = Overdoz1z

ohyou-1-1.jpg

I'm watching a pretty meh scary movie right now, but I think it would be pretty darn cool if we got some type of horror-Flood story in either a game or another book.

343 Guilty Spark was fucking cool with the flickering lights, random blood spots, and creepy ambient atmosphere. Evolutions had that short story the Mona Lisa(I think?) where some Marines kept getting picked off by the Flood.

Halo 2 really didn't have much, although I do remember that mission where you're going around as the Arbiter and you keep hearing Marines reporting in from another end of the complex and some start going missing, then it just dissolves into shooting and screams until you find tons of dead bodies. Halo 3 had the mission after the Flood crashed and everything is foggy and on fire, then there was the mission rescuing Cortana, which started off good and then turned bad.

Halo 4 had nothing. Halo 5 needs something. We need more moments where you go "Fuck yeah I'm a Spartan kicking ass!" and moments where you're cautious to go forward -- and not just because every other enemy around the corner has a fucking Fuel Rod Cannon SPARTAN OPS I AM LOOKING AT YOU.

Does anybody feel the same way? Or am I just alone :( ?

Omni

I'm watching a pretty meh scary movie right now, but I think it would be pretty darn cool if we got some type of horror-Flood story in either a game or another book.

343 Guilty Spark was fucking cool with the flickering lights, random blood spots, and creepy ambient atmosphere. Evolutions had that short story the Mona Lisa(I think?) where some Marines kept getting picked off by the Flood.

Halo 2 really didn't have much, although I do remember that mission where you're going around as the Arbiter and you keep hearing Marines reporting in from another end of the complex and some start going missing, then it just dissolves into shooting and screams until you find tons of dead bodies. Halo 3 had the mission after the Flood crashed and everything is foggy and on fire, then there was the mission rescuing Cortana, which started off good and then turned bad.

Halo 4 had nothing. Halo 5 needs something. We need more moments where you go "Fuck yeah I'm a Spartan kicking ass!" and moments where you're cautious to go forward -- and not just because every other enemy around the corner has a fucking Fuel Rod Cannon SPARTAN OPS I AM LOOKING AT YOU.

Does anybody feel the same way? Or am I just alone :( ?
I feel like Halo 4 had its fair share of horror type moments.

Like for a moment there upon seeing the predator missile during the campaign for the first time, I was pretty scared about the franchise's future

but seriously, yeah I agree.

Fuchsdh

I feel like Halo 4 had its fair share of horror type moments.

Like for a moment there upon seeing the predator missile during the campaign for the first time, I was pretty scared about the franchise's future

but seriously, yeah I agree.

I think in terms of Halo it's best to not try and force the scary. The Flood reveal can't just be replicated.

Still, with all we know about the Flood you could legitimately change up their gameplay significantly and make them really creepy again. Would love to see them really become even more of an onslaught.

(Playing CEA made me realize how much more awesome that game would have been if the Flood could insta-convert like Halo 3. Pure forms were kind of a mess though.)

IHaveIce

Banned
Man... first game get matched with a guy who is afk and a guest. Vote for the forge map on Erosion for Swat, seriously the spawns there are just shit with Instant Respawn.

Also looking at team.quickcsr.com the ranking system doesn't work at all.

It doesn't matter which settings this game gets, with stuff like JIP, Instant Respawn and all this it will still be terrible in matchmaking

Omni

I think in terms of Halo it's best to not try and force the scary. The Flood reveal can't just be replicated.

Still, with all we know about the Flood you could legitimately change up their gameplay significantly and make them really creepy again. Would love to see them really become even more of an onslaught.

(Playing CEA made me realize how much more awesome that game would have been if the Flood could insta-convert like Halo 3. Pure forms were kind of a mess though.)
True. I feel as if the Prometheans had the potential to be scary though, but it seemed obvious that it wasn't what 343i were going for by introducing them. Unfortunately.

And yeah. There's a lot of potential there for the Flood... If 343i are willing of course. Bungie made them too weak in H3 and coupled with the bright art style, they lost most of the creepy factor that they once had.

Ghazi

I wanted to save that Overkill last night, had to be walked through how to save a previous game. Its so many menus deep. I felt like I was in the matrix.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I didn't even know how to save a clip/game until about a month ago. I like to play with menus, a lot, so I was surprised to find it so difficult to get to it. Reach minimalistic menus are best menus.

Edit: rev3rb and Tunavi graduated? Nice! What did you guys major in? I'm taking some college classes now and I got my finals out of the way this week. Now I've got high school finals in 2 weeks.

willow ve

Old man Willow wants us off his lawn
Ha. CE came out when I was a sophomore at university. You could LAN through the dorm network, but only if you lived on the northeast side of the building. To this day I have some classmates who only ever knew me as willow due to usually interacting around weekly Halo LANs.

8v8 Sidewinder CTF with no time limit and touch return. That's my Halo.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
:lol

AA degree -> 4-year enlistment in the Air Force + GI Bill for the last two years -> Seattle -> join 314 Industries and live with Kittens

Or, you could do 2 more years. Get commissioned and make a fuck ton of money and continue school on the military's dime while also getting fantastic training/resume material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom