• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Enfinit

Considering the population you really can't knock 343i for their relentless sustain of Halo 4. I think they should be proud of that fact and Halo fans should take that as a tick in the win box somewhat.

[paraphrase] "Regardless of the population, we should just be thankful that 343i's doing something at all!"

The reason the population is small in the first place is their mishandling of the franchise. The fact that they're still attempting to correct their mistakes - and they have yet to fully - almost a year after release, what does that say?

If 343 has excelled at anything, it's the creation of a sustain team that updates far more regularly than all of the other games combined.

willow ve

If 343 has excelled at anything, it's the creation of a sustain team that updates far more regularly than all of the other games combined.
That's a double edged argument however. It could easily be said the previous games didn't need such wholesale and continuous updating to fix problems.

That's a double edged argument however. It could easily be said the previous games didn't need such wholesale and continuous updating to fix problems.
Halo 3 and Reach needed far more updates than they received, and a sustain team shouldn't be just fixing problems.

Agreed, the level & regularity of visual support and releases have been great.

But ultimately it hasn't helped the game to a point where I want to play it. :-/

J10

Banned

LOL Halo 2 had like 70 title updates. Subsequent games had less and less. Bungie got better as they went on. 343 probably will too.

Booties

Banned
hmmmmm. Only offered 1600 MSP though :(

sKHUdye.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks for the update bro.

Uh, what's your deal? People were talking about why they hadn't (or still aren't) playing. I noted my plans to play again when the DLC is out.
Get off my ass. Not the first time you've done it either.

If you'd like to know, I'm eating pizza tonight. Oh, and I'm moving tomorrow. I'll keep you updated!

Anywho, only 3 weeks until that DLC.

LD2k

Neo Member
Those gamer fury tweets at the CoD devs are fucking ridiculous... It's one thing to be passionate about the game, to express disappointment or even anger, but those tweets are too much. Nothing but vitriol, harassment, abuse and death threats not only against devs but their family, and for what? I don't even want to call myself a gamer anymore because I just don't want to associate with these kinds of people. They should really contact the FBI or Law Enforcement, track down the people through IP addresses, contact them or their ISP and send them official warnings at first that violent death threats are against state or federal laws, really scare the shit out of these, and I'm assuming, kids or maybe show the parents just what their kids are using social media for.
Yup - it's one of the dark sides to social media. That said, myself like many others realize there's more to the gaming community than someone sending a death tweet.

I've actually screen-capped some of the ones towards me. <3

Mix

My nine year old brother and I just finished Halo CE together for the first time and I am extremely proud of him. He understood everything very well, had a couple of lore questions before and I answered them without spoiling the other games too much. He even has a favorite character. 343 Guilt Spark. He likes how he tried to trick Master Chief into firing the Halo ring.

So, tomorrow night, we are going to start Halo 2. When he saw the halo blow up he asked me how there could be a Halo 2, and I told him He'd just have to see.

FyreWulff

They've all gotten updates at least once monthly. They didn't do much better with transitioning to the next game, Reach's final updates were cancelled and it stopped updating 3 or 4 months before Halo 4 came out. 3 and 2 at least got updates up until right until the next game came out. There was also that limbo period between 343 taking over Reach and when they actually started updating it in earnest.
I'm still of the opinion that Bungie should have been allowed to update it until Halo 4 came out.

It's a shame the weekly update thing didn't last, but I guess that was a 'bit off more than they could chew' moment.

I'm honestly not sure I want voting to return in Halo V: Repair Your Janus. In Halo 3 it was alright because there was still a big enough community to promote some diversity, but I feel like Halo 4's mostly just full of stat-padding trolls and redditors at this point. Let's play Infinity Abandon over Pro Haven!

Nowise10

I was literally going to post the same thing.

The fan-boyism in r/halo is tough to deal with. You post anything against 343 or Halo 4, and 95% of the time you'll get downvoted to shit.

I saw a comment the other day claiming most of Halo 4's issues were from Reach, as if Bungie were to blame, and I couldnt believe how someone could think that. I bet if I were to ask them "why should I play Halo 4 again?" 80% of the rplies would be because the BR is 4 shot now, rather then 5, as if that changes anything.

J10

Banned
I'm honestly not sure I want voting to return in Halo V: Repair Your Janus. In Halo 3 it was alright because there was still a big enough community to promote some diversity, but I feel like Halo 4's mostly just full of stat-padding trolls and redditors at this point. Let's play Infinity Abandon over Pro Haven!

If they stop designing bad maps and gameplay mechanics this won't be a problem. Every option should just be awesome. That would solve everything.

The fan-boyism in r/halo is tough to deal with. You post anything against 343 or Halo 4, and 95% of the time you'll get downvoted to shit.

I saw a comment the other day claiming most of Halo 4's issues were from Reach, as if Bungie were to blame, and I couldnt believe how someone could think that. I bet if I were to ask them "why should I play Halo 4 again?" 80% of the rplies would be because the BR is 4 shot now, rather then 5, as if that changes anything.

I feel like these people played Halo 3, then CoD and saw that Halo 4 is HaloCod and enjoy it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The gunplay and metagame in Halo 1 is still unmatched.
I used to be pretty staunchly in the H2/H3 camp, but over the past few months I've gained a new appreciation for the simultaneous simplicity and depth of Halo 1 multiplayer. It's the Halo MP I've played the least BY FAR, and now I'm realizing how big of a shame that is. I can't say it beats Halo 2 in my eyes, but I really love what it has to offer regardless.

My nine year old brother and I just finished Halo CE together for the first time and I am extremely proud of him. He understood everything very well, had a couple of lore questions before and I answered them without spoiling the other games too much. He even has a favorite character. 343 Guilt Spark. He likes how he tried to trick Master Chief into firing the Halo ring.

So, tomorrow night, we are going to start Halo 2. When he saw the halo blow up he asked me how there could be a Halo 2, and I told him He'd just have to see.
That's awesome! I love playing Halo campaign with kids. Which, being a babysitter and all, I get to do fairly often.

If they stop designing bad maps and gameplay mechanics this won't be a problem. Every option should just be awesome. That would solve everything.

As great as that sounds we both know that's not possible. Remember Backwash?

AR Starts on Valhalla?
Standoff Heavies?
Team Duals on Snowbound?

Breakpoint Heavies?

Speaking of that last one, I somehow managed to worm my way into the initial Heavies playtesting. Breakpoint consisted of hillside team getting donged by Banshees and Gauss Hogs for 20 minutes, ended up 100-12 or something.

"Yeah, I'll have to look into that and figure out a way to balance the hogs."

My first matchmade game of Breakpoint Heavies consisted of pretty much the same scenario. They added some Invasion barricades for us to spawn behind.

IHaveIce

Banned
They've all gotten updates at least once monthly. They didn't do much better with transitioning to the next game, Reach's final updates were cancelled and it stopped updating 3 or 4 months before Halo 4 came out. 3 and 2 at least got updates up until right until the next game came out. There was also that limbo period between 343 taking over Reach and when they actually started updating it in earnest.
I'm still of the opinion that Bungie should have been allowed to update it until Halo 4 came out.

It's a shame the weekly update thing didn't last, but I guess that was a 'bit off more than they could chew' moment.
Well the question is if Bungie would have updated it at all and if they had implemented No Bloom etc.

There was no voting in Halo 3, Vetoing was much different and way better IMo also for diversity

Uh, what's your deal? People were talking about why they hadn't (or still aren't) playing. I noted my plans to play again when the DLC is out.
Get off my ass. Not the first time you've done it either.

If you'd like to know, I'm eating pizza tonight. Oh, and I'm moving tomorrow. I'll keep you updated!

Anywho, only 3 weeks until that DLC.

:)

Good luck on the move, make sure you keep that Surface Pro safe!

TCKaos

I made a post calling to not post the leaks the week before launch and got downvoted to oblivion. It was fun.

heckfu

Banned

How nice it must be to see someone get to play through Halo for the first time with no prior (real) knowledge. Are you able to play Halo 2 on the OG Xbox or the 360? Such a shame it'd be to show off that piece of art with all the ghosting on the current console.

DeadNames

Banned
I liked vetoing a lot more. With voting I end up playing the same few maps over and over and it's just boring. Vetoing allowed for a lot more maps to be played

Mix

How nice it must be to see someone get to play through Halo for the first time with no prior (real) knowledge. Are you able to play Halo 2 on the OG Xbox or the 360? Such a shame it'd be to show off that piece of art with all the ghosting on the current console.

Nah man, we have to play it on 360 unfortunately :/
Plus, as you said, it's unreal watching him learn and play the game. at one point on Keyes, he told me to use a shotgun because he knew it worked really well on the Flood. I'm so proud :3

Gui_PT

Plus, as you said, it's unreal watching him learn and play the game. at one point on Keyes, he told me to use a shotgun because he knew it worked really well on the Flood. I'm so proud :3

"I love my little brother. Going to spend some time with him BY KILLING EVERYTHING THAT MOVES"

<3

Risen

I let my son play MW3 for the first time against people when he was 6 - he went 4-10 on Fallen and called all four of the kids he killed "bad kids". It was beautiful. I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard.

He and the girls play little FFA's in Halo all the time, it's a blast - and it's crazy the things they immediately pick up.

m23

I liked vetoing a lot more. With voting I end up playing the same few maps over and over and it's just boring. Vetoing allowed for a lot more maps to be played

Yeah I agree. I'm getting pretty sick of Haven even though I have fun with it.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Lol, some guys said that Halo multiplayer is bullet-spongey in that thread about games that are bullet-spongey.

Halo Campaign is pretty bullet-spongey, though, but that encourages you to use different strategies.

Hey 343, I have a cool idea for the Flood to look more appealing in New Halo games.

74054_618147134882800_524606142_n.jpg

Since the flood are practically Parasitic Fungi, why not add more Glowy-ness to them?
Not like Gears of Wars "Lambents".

These are Fox-Fire or Fairie Fire Fungi that have Bio Luminescence.

By adding a New Glowies type of Flood form to offensively attack a player being the more rampant aggressor it distracts the player(s) to eliminate it immediately while simultaneously allowing other darker Flood forms to Infect, Metamorphosis, or advance into strategic positions to strike said players. Light, Movement, and Sounds distract the players senses.

Imo, it'll add a new experience to combat the flood.

I used to be pretty staunchly in the H2/H3 camp, but over the past few months I've gained a new appreciation for the simultaneous simplicity and depth of Halo 1 multiplayer. It's the Halo MP I've played the least BY FAR, and now I'm realizing how big of a shame that is. I can't say it beats Halo 2 in my eyes, but I really love what it has to offer regardless.

Yeah man, it really is a shame. I truly believe that if Halo 1 multiplayer was able to reach the masses like Halo 2+ did, you'd see a completely different Halo right now. Just think about how the gaming landscape was back when Halo 2 released and what it is today; it's night and day. Nothing is more disappointing than to see what was once a phenomenal casual and competitive gaming experience being turned something where so many long time fans feel betrayed because of poor management and terrible design choices.

OT but Smash Bros. is a franchise that we're seeing the same thing happen to, just over a longer period with less releases. Just a few examples:

Smash 64 was like Halo 1: Simple and clean with a lot of depth for all levels of play.
Melee was like Halo 2: The game that reached the masses which people are clamoring for a return to with its formula.
Brawl was like Halo 3/Reach/4: While trying to appeal to a wider audience, the mistake of dumbing down the gameplay was made, affecting all areas of the game.

And after seeing how Smash Wii U plays, it's looking to me like it'll be much closer to how Brawl plays than 64/Melee.. much like Halo 4 and Reach. The Smash fans have no idea the disappointment they may be in for lol.. Smash Wii U hopefully won't be to Brawl as to what Halo 4 was to Reach, so fingers crossed because if it sucks you can pretty much guarantee fans will be stuck with that game for another decade because.. well.. Nintendo.

Yeah man, it really is a shame. I truly believe that if Halo 1 multiplayer was able to reach the masses like Halo 2+ did, you'd see a completely different Halo right now. Just think about how the gaming landscape was back when Halo 2 released and what it is today; it's night and day. Nothing is more disappointing than to see what was once a phenomenal casual and competitive gaming experience being turned something where so many long time fans feel betrayed because of poor management and terrible design choices.

OT but Smash Bros. is a franchise that we're seeing the same thing happen to, just over a longer period with less releases. Just a few examples:

Smash 64 was like Halo 1: Simple and clean with a lot of depth for all levels of play.
Melee was like Halo 2: The game that reached the masses which people are clamoring for a return to with its formula.
Brawl was like Halo 3/Reach/4: While trying to appeal to a wider audience, the mistake of dumbing down the gameplay was made, affecting all areas of the game.

And after seeing how Smash Wii U plays, it's looking to me like it'll be much closer to how Brawl plays than 64/Melee.. much like Halo 4 and Reach. The Smash fans have no idea the disappointment they may be in for lol.. Smash Wii U hopefully won't be to Brawl as to what Halo 4 was to Reach, so fingers crossed because if it sucks you can pretty much guarantee fans will be stuck with that game for another decade because.. well.. Nintendo.

I disagree on the account that Smash 64 had a lot of depth for all levels of play, at least compared to melee. Melee had tons more depth for competitive play.

[paraphrase] "Regardless of the population, we should just be thankful that 343i's doing something at all!"

The reason the population is small in the first place is their mishandling of the franchise. The fact that they're still attempting to correct their mistakes - and they have yet to fully - almost a year after release, what does that say?

It says they care about their games, the fans and work damned hard at sustain, that's all my point was. It also shows a company willing to learn and admit mistakes, in the corporate world these are traits I like. After all they could have just Phil Fish'd us ;)

Fuchsdh

Hey 343, I have a cool idea for the Flood to look more appealing in New Halo games.

74054_618147134882800_524606142_n.jpg

Since the flood are practically Parasitic Fungi, why not add more Glowy-ness to them?
Not like Gears of Wars "Lambents".

These are Fox-Fire or Fairie Fire Fungi that have Bio Luminescence.

By adding a New Glowies type of Flood form to offensively attack a player being the more rampant aggressor it distracts the player(s) to eliminate it immediately while simultaneously allowing other darker Flood forms to Infect, Metamorphosis, or advance into strategic positions to strike said players. Light, Movement, and Sounds distract the players senses.

Imo, it'll add a new experience to combat the flood.

The strength of the Flood is that they can be anything.

The weakness of the Flood is that they can be anything.

It says they care about their games, the fans and work damned hard at sustain, that's all my point was. It also shows a company willing to learn and admit mistakes, in the corporate world these are traits I like. After all they could have just Phil Fish'd us ;)

Saying that "MS hasn't Phil Fish'd us" is a pretty low bar. Anyone with an ounce of professionalism doesn't go Fish on people :p

Top Bottom