• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Kibbles

Because Halo 4 brought in a truly exciting and breathtaking story to the Halo universe.

r1wo.png

"Don't shoot! I'm unarmed!"
What did they do to Halsey, why is she missing an arm?

I disagree on the account that Smash 64 had a lot of depth for all levels of play, at least compared to melee. Melee had tons more depth for competitive play.

Nah, check out some videos of high level Smash 64. They're different types of high level play: 64 is very punishable and more about spacing, whereas Melee is more about quick reactions and fast reads. Z canceling in 64 was much more useful and technically important than in Melee but Melee had crazy different tech skill too like wavedash/land tech. Difficult to compare as to which game had more depth, but they're both highly competitive games.

This is sort of a similar problem in The Arena to abuse the ranking system in Reach. How 343 not forseen this ahead is just bad.
I think 343i can do nothing against it. It looks like the 360 OS is the reason that is possible and without a firmware update, you cant fix it. So yeah.

Nebula

I think 343i can do nothing against it. It looks like the 360 OS is the reason that is possible and without a firmware update, you cant fix it. So yeah.

Surely they could update the game and make it so quitting in voting lobby via signing out would register as a loss.

FyreWulff

Well, they could fix it by properly recording a loss like Bungie did if you did this in Halo 3. This is the equivalent to yanking power on the 360 as far as the game is concerned, anyway.

In Halo 3, you could also pull your entire party out of a game you didn't want by joining an open game. If you hit Bring Players you'd bring your entire team with you, without everyone having to quit out individually. We called it 'pulling the chute'.

In Halo 2, it was even more absurd, you could kick party members out of the game.. even if they were on the opposing team. In matchmaking.

Madness

I heard 343 were/have removed mongooses from a lot of the maps in BTB. Is this true?

Probably would be true. Sprint and mobility have all but killed the need for a mongoose which was an even bigger deathtrap than a warthog.

Remember when it was actually a superfast way to get around a map and you had to weigh the risk/reward of whether to get in?

Nebula

Aren't the finals for this tourney LAN event based? It will be interesting to see the online leaderboards vs. the LAN finalists.

No idea, I'm so massively out of the loop when it comes to Halo now.

Probably would be true. Sprint and mobility have all but killed the need for a mongoose which was an even bigger deathtrap than a warthog.

Remember when it was actually a superfast way to get around a map and you had to weigh the risk/reward of whether to get in?

It's still fast, it can actually splatter effectively, but the usual vehicle destroying combo tends to ruin both of these positives. I'm honestly shocked that the Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenade combo passed testing with flying colours.

Focus testing has to be the shittest execution of an idea in the world.

Madness

Yeah but it's all but useless now. There was a reason it worked great in Halo 3. Your Spartan was slow, the mongoose was one of the fastest vehicles. Get in and take off, help cap a flag run, get to a point on the map to help a teammate or secure a power weapon etc. It had a purpose.

Now, you're better off sprinting, with mobility perk, you have unlimited sprint. Sure it's not as fast, but the plus side is the fact you can easily stop to shoot in case you see someone, throw grenades etc.

In the odd case you actually need a vehicle, you'd be better off just using a warthog since it can handle a lot of shots. But PP/stickies all but ruin it as well.

Yeah but it's all but useless now. There was a reason it worked great in Halo 3. Your Spartan was slow, the mongoose was one of the fastest vehicles. Get in and take off, help cap a flag run, get to a point on the map to help a teammate or secure a power weapon etc. It had a purpose.

Now, you're better off sprinting, with mobility perk, you have unlimited sprint. Sure it's not as fast, but the plus side is the fact you can easily stop to shoot in case you see someone, throw grenades etc.

In the odd case you actually need a vehicle, you'd be better off just using a warthog since it can handle a lot of shots. But PP/stickies all but ruin it as well.

The Mongoose was only halfway decent in Halo 3 because the BR was such poo.

Purplemage

Neo Member
The Mongoose was only halfway decent in Halo 3 because the BR was such poo.

Well, obviously it's due for a buff to make it usable again. What would be wrong with just making it even faster? Make it the fastest vehicle by a decent margin. It's not like it has any offensive traits other than splatters. Otherwise like you guys said it would be better to just sprint normally. I'd love to see it getting use again.

Fuchsdh

Well, obviously it's due for a buff to make it usable again. What would be wrong with just making it even faster? Make it the fastest vehicle by a decent margin. It's not like it has any offensive traits other than splatters. Otherwise like you guys said it would be better to just sprint normally. I'd love to see it getting use again.

Still has its uses in BTB but yeah with the actual weapons and players being more empowered it has less use. Boosting its speed seems like a good option; I always considered it a choice between a faster, more risky and exposed cap or one with a 'Hog.

Madness

Or we could remove sprint and get rid of loadouts that allow for plasma pistol and plasma grenade starts. These changes would be much better no?

Nah, check out some videos of high level Smash 64. They're different types of high level play: 64 is very punishable and more about spacing, whereas Melee is more about quick reactions and fast reads. Z canceling in 64 was much more useful and technically important than in Melee but Melee had crazy different tech skill too like wavedash/land tech. Difficult to compare as to which game had more depth, but they're both highly competitive games.
Before even clicking the link I knew it was going to be an Isai video. Fuck man, that ending.

I completely agree with you on all counts about the current state of Smash and it's future. It's rather upsetting, especially when you look at the numbers that Melee, a game approaching it's 12th anniversary, can still pull in. I have faith that Namco Bandai will deliver something a little better than Brawl, but with Sakurai still at the helm, there's only so much they can do.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Or we could remove sprint and get rid of loadouts that allow for plasma pistol and plasma grenade starts. These changes would be much better no?

Better? Yeah, sure. Feasible for Halo 5? I don't see it happening. I just don't want it to be removed for uselessness.

Before even clicking the link I knew it was going to be an Isai video. Fuck man, that ending.

I completely agree with you on all counts about the current state of Smash and it's future. It's rather upsetting, especially when you look at the numbers that Melee, a game approaching it's 12th anniversary, can still pull in. I have faith that Namco Bandai will deliver something a little better than Brawl, but with Sakurai still at the helm, there's only so much they can do.

Eh, imo Sakurai's a good example of trying to keep most of your fanbases happy without walking on eggshells. He's leaving options available for the competitive audience but doesn't want them to dominate his franchise, which is understandable - the next generation of CoD babbies shitting all over mario and all your other favorite nintendo pals doesn't sound like the best way to raise interest in a sequel. It's better than Halo 4's level of accessibility, anyway.

Agreed and what's up brudah?! Got some hawt Sword usage today and thought of you ;] Legendary Slayer has potential if they gave you a Magnum with sufficient ammo.

Those EVO numbers were incredible, the next Smash has to capitalize and produce for the fans.

HTupolev

I always considered it a choice between a faster, more risky and exposed cap or one with a 'Hog.
In every single game they've been in, the warthog has had a higher topspeed and a FAR faster forward acelleration than the mongoose.

The mongoose's only real advantage is its ability to make some funky navigational choices. And to intimidate enemies with its fiery majesty.

willow ve

For Kat.

rip Kat

KatsAss.jpg

Halo 4 Global Championship has a lot of cheaters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7CUjBebDw&feature=youtu.be

Haha ha. Ha. This is what happen when Virgin Gaming takes over the official tournaments and does everything via Xbox Live.

Surely they could update the game and make it so quitting in voting lobby via signing out would register as a loss.

Wouldn't that affect the game on a global scale?

Nowise10

I feel as if it is harder to make the game register that pre-game voting lobby as a game, then some of you think. I doubt they could just whip up a quick update, and even if they could their is the potential chance of causing even more bugs, which is why a lot of updates go through testing, and when some aren't tested thoroughly enough, it can lead to bad things.

Nowise10

How did this guy win?

Can anyone explain this? He had 24 kills but 250 points...? If I was one of the top people in that tournament and this happened I would be pissed.

Well what happened in the game? Black screen? Did the game really end when he hit 24 kills?

Sounds like its just a stat error, but he still won.

How did this guy win?

Can anyone explain this? He had 24 kills but 250 points...? If I was one of the top people in that tournament and this happened I would be pissed.

In the event of a stalemate, person with the lowest CSR wins to encourage growth on the competitive front to beginners.

How did this guy win?

What about assists? Seems two more assists so the player scores are 240 and 250. Making the 250 the winner?

I don't know if this is real or not. It's kind of sad that this is so believable.

He's taking the piss mate.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I just played some Unreal Tournament 2004. It was lots of fun.

Why can't Halo have weapons like those? D: All we have are weapons that are more or less the same thing.

belushy

Banned
Speaking of weapons, I really want Halo (5) Xbox One to bring back the Focus Rifle from Reach. Maybe buff it a little bit. I always liked that weapon.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I want a Sniper Rifle-like weapon that shoots a round that when it hits a player, causes a explosion or something like a Rocket Launcher or Incineration Cannon, but if it misses, it won't do anything. Also, you'll have to lead your shots. That would be awesome.

I want a Sniper Rifle-like weapon that shoots a round that when it hits a player, causes a explosion or something like a Rocket Launcher or Incineration Cannon, but if it misses, it won't do anything. Also, you'll have to lead your shots. That would be awesome.

So an explosive Promethean bow and arrow?

Top Bottom