• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I do like they're doing something with player movement. That's really the only interesting thing about the game, not enough to peak my interest. Seems like it's just another shooter with ADS, 100+ HEADSHOT, XP unlocks. With mechs.

I'll pass.

ADS, 100+ HEADSHOT, XP unlocks are basically traits of all shooters at this point.

Normally don't like Mechs largely because they are slow and clunky resulting in them pretty boring to use and fight against (Hello Mantis). Mechs in this game aren't like this.

If you're aren't interested though, you aren't interested.

Hundreds of people made MW2, not two people.

Titanfall looks to be a breath of fresh air by making player movement a dynamic, deep, integral aspect of a military shooter. Something that the sub-genre has been in desperate need off, and something that sandbox/arena shooters should be taking a look at as well.
I know that but they were in charge and they let that garbage go out the door.

Why I'm hyped for TitanFall:

chG4Eqp.gif

belushy

Banned
So is there no way for me to trick the system so I can download Shadowrun for free too? I'd rather it over Crackdown any day of the week.

Madness

I dont get the hype for titanfall. It looks like a glorified Call of Duty with random robots. Meh.

It because it's everything that made CoD2, CoD4 fun to play. Modern Warfare 2 was the decline. TitanFall, while being an ADS game, has changed movement. Increased foot speed, wall running, etc. Coupled with the addition of mechs that seamlessly drop in, should be fun. All multiplayer too, so the entire team has been focused on it from the start. I'm more excited for TitanFall than Destiny even. I could easily see myself putting hundreds of hours into matches.

wwm0nkey

Marry me.
Ill think about it.

But seriously where you entered the under ground area in ODST and had that pretty cool but narrow path down, have a bunch of those connecting different parts of levels together with some unlocking after key events.

343 if you do this I will buy a Xbox One and Halo 5 no questions asked.

Where the heck is Shadowrun for $2?

Just checked on xbox.com and it still says 29.99
Gamestop pay $20 if you want to support non-existent devs though!

TheOddOne

Samurai Jack - one of the best cartoons of all time. I don't know how well it will translate to a pure comic - so much of the show was the interesting "camera" work; multiple viewing angles at the same time, ultra wide screen, slow motion effects, etc.
Yeah, but Cartoon Network pissed off Genndy Tartakovsky so this will have to do.

FyreWulff

I remember reading how they had this volumetric sky technology as shown in the banshee to space clip but hey never used it in game.

I remember seeing that, then later the Halo commentaries come out - Staten mentions in Halo 2 that they originally wanted you to actually ride down in the pod and be able to see through the window when you drop onto Delta Halo, and not have it as a cutscene that used camera angle tricks.

So at the time, I just put 2 and 2 together and assumed that was an attempt at getting that moment to work in Halo 3, but didn't pan out quite yet for some reason. Then they finally pulled it off in ODST's intro.

FyreWulff

Yeah Respawn initially said that the PC version wouldn't have "the niceties" of the X1 version and they had to engineer some workarounds for that, but then later said that all three platforms will be using Azure.

It's also worth noting that Respawn isn't making the 360 version.

Yep, Azure is available to 360 developers too
as long as you're buddies with Microsoft

Halo 4 uses it.

Remember all those times you've been booted to the backup servers?

Yeah.
That only happened to me once fairly early on, but I would regularly get host switches that would keep the screen black for minutes at a time, and happen sometimes three or four times a game in BTB.

I really don't miss playing this game at all.

Halo 4 being bad was a good thing and a bad thing for me. It's bad because now Halo is bad, but it's good cause I'm playing more games like The Last of Us.

And The Last of Us was fucking awesome. So thanks 343...I guess.

That only happened to me once fairly early on, but I would regularly get host switches that would keep the screen black for minutes at a time, and happen sometimes three or four times a game in BTB.

I really don't miss playing this game at all.

In Halo 4, once you get in game, everything is player-client. Azure is used for the matchmaking servers (hosts the playlists and stuff like that).

nillapuddin

So... this is the COD way of thinking these days: “You can’t change the rules too much”

Call Of Duty Ghosts executive producer Mark Rubin has spoken about the series’ progression, saying the studio is, “a little bit more conservative,” in terms of, “jump[ing] onto the tech bandwagon”. He also compared the franchise to a sport adding, “you can’t change the rules too much”.

Rubin on COD: ”You can’t change the rules”
Speaking about the possibilities of next-gen tech and the potential changes it could bring beyond graphics he replied: “Part of that is going to be a ‘wait and see’ obviously, I think. To be honest the first launch of next gen titles is sort of like that awkward first date you know it’s sort of not really sure where it is going to go”. As far as Infinity Ward‘s take on what PS4 could bring, Rubin outlined a cautious approach to new ideas and technology. “So you know, as a company in general, we don’t want to jump onto the tech bandwagon too early. We’re a little bit more conservative with that kind of thing. There is some cool new tech, but some of it we can’t talk about because we are not talking multiplayer yet”.

While the studio is looking at new ideas and technology Rubin admits, “some of it we are looking at and might include in this version of the game, we may hold off on it until it has matured more for future titles”. Of the series in general he also added “I don’t think we have been hindered by tech”.

When it comes to broader changes to the series’ gameplay or other mechanics Rubin likened Call Of Duty to a sport: “You watch sports every year, but if you changed the rules dramatically of a sport every year who would watch that? I don’t think you would have as many people watching the sport. Like if soccer/football were all the sudden to switch from ‘OK you can’t use your feet, you have to use your hands’ Who’d watch that really?”

“You can’t change the rules too much
you have to sort of live within the
boundaries that you created”

“You can’t change the rules too much, you have to sort of live within the boundaries that you created for yourself,” he explains. “Other games can do that. They can do and go try out other new features and that’s totally cool because as a gamer I like to play a lot of games. So I’ll go out and play that open-ended open-world type game and I love it.” For COD, in the time being, Rubin says, “I think we sort of stay with what we have perfected – that sort of cinematic immersive experience. We are going to stick with that”.

Until consumers fans just get flat out sick to their stomach of the same game they are not going to change it.

this is also a flame worthy argument for why Halo changed,
Would Halo be looked at in the same light if Reach never changed the way Halo was played?
...Maybe thats why Bungie started this transition in the first place?

We tend to look down on COD for its c/p antics on an annual basis, but when alot of fans want Halo 2 forever, I guess we arent much better.

Top Bottom