• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

TCKaos

Halo 4 has like this blur, odd looking effect that is in the entire game, and its ugly. I know it has some name to it, but I cant remember it.

Every time someone brings up Halo 4's graphics I have to point out the ugly pop-in type behavior you get from a great deal of the scenery as it's drawn in.

It looks like someone tried to make the image look transparent in paint by adding some sort of really pixellated dithering effect. The dithering is reduced the closer you are to the object. Now, that isn't inherently bad - Reach even did the same thing. My issue is that for some reason 343 uses a placeholder when you're really far out that's low resolution but has no dithering at all. If you get in just the right distance, then it switches to the dithered scenery, with the dithering at maximum, making it look like there's no object there at all, at which point it slowly fades in as the dithering is reduced by closing distance.

It's annoying as hell, and I find that it happens all the time on Complex. You're just walking, and you can see some shrubbery or some shit in the background, and then it just disappears and slowly fades back in.

Halo 4 has like this blur, odd looking effect that is in the entire game, and its ugly. I know it has some name to it, but I cant remember it.

The IQ is great for a console game (native 720p with FXAA if I remember right), but the texture work ranges from average to mediocre. There's also that whole pastel thing going on that looks unattractive to me.

It's not just the texture work that's superior in Reach. The environments in general look better and the skyboxes, oh man the skyboxes. The world in previous Halo's was crafted in such a way that made it beleivable you were walking around in a big space, but confined to a certain path. In Reach for example, you could go almost anywhere on the map if there were no barriers, because a lot of the surrounding geometry is, well, geometry. Halo 4 breaks that illosion completely. There is a very noticable contrast between skybox and geometry, making it look like when you look behind a certain wall or mountain, you'll find absolutely nothing. You know when in some games when you die and go beneith the ground and that gives you a good view of the whole map? I feel like the geometry in Halo is purely the path you walk and nothing beyond that, which is not what Halo is about. I think this is the reason there is no campaign cinema in Halo 4. If you'd zoom out of the map in Halo 4 you'd see a crafted path in a 2D surrounding. There is no sense of exploration because one can tell visually that there can't be any exploration because you know, due to the visuals of the game, that there is no space behind this rock.

heckfu

Banned
Really nice, shame it will never find it way into an official play list :/

343, can't you design some kind of community playlist that you swap every other month with stuff like this? oh lol who am I kidding.

oh you mean action sack, the playlist designed for stuff like this that they update? oh lol who am i kidding

Nowise10

Every time someone brings up Halo 4's graphics I have to point out the ugly pop-in type behavior you get from a great deal of the scenery as it's drawn in.

It's annoying as hell, and I find that it happens all the time on Complex. You're just walking, and you can see some shrubbery or some shit in the background, and then it just disappears and slowly fades back in.

That is the impostor system Bungie created that first appeared in Reach. Some forge objects weren't very good with this system, as like 200 feet away it would turn into the "cheap" model and the model was "too cheap" , well I can get a picture.

e14RQ9H.jpg

Then compared to textures, Halo 4 is really really bad. Some of the stuff Is just unbelievable. The objects may look good from far away, but if you walk near it?

I also cant believe some developer literally was allowed to make the glass on the pelican, straight up grey. That just seems incredibly lazy.

Halo:Reach sandbag texture
Halo 4 sandbag texture

Water comparison

And to end, to show that compared to Reach, Halo 4 I feel is "blurred", and deluded.

But I guess this is the cost for dynamic lighting.

FyreWulff

It looks like someone tried to make the image look transparent in paint by adding some sort of really pixellated dithering effect. The dithering is reduced the closer you are to the object. Now, that isn't inherently bad - Reach even did the same thing. My issue is that for some reason 343 uses a placeholder when you're really far out that's low resolution but has no dithering at all. If you get in just the right distance, then it switches to the dithered scenery, with the dithering at maximum, making it look like there's no object there at all, at which point it slowly fades in as the dithering is reduced by closing distance.

The engine has done the dithering thing since Halo 2 (I don't remember 1 doing it). It seems they were still getting a grasp of Reach's Imposter system. Sometimes imposters would be rendered really close, or the entire area near the skybox would become imposters for seemingly no reason. Other times, like your example, the real object would be allowed to dither out and -then- the imposter would suddenly be brought in.

edit: nowised'd

oh you mean action sack, the playlist designed for stuff like this that they update? oh lol who am i kidding

still don't know why this got deleted in Reach. Hopefully it can be un-consolidated back into existence.

Fuchsdh

If you're talking about the motion blur, it's better than the temporal ghosting Reach applied, but blurring solutions on recent console games have been about what tradeoffs are worth it for you. Or are you referring to the light bloom?

willow ve

They should move action sack to a yes/no veto system. As it stands now it's 90+% fiesta with the once a session lobby that votes for any of the other options.

TheOddOne

I really hope this means Halo 5 will be much more open. They need to improve the AI as well, at least at Reach Levels. The AI in Halo 4 is atrocious when compared to Reach, ODST, and Halo 3.
Good catch.

Still laughed a little at 'What's it's going to feel like'.
Feels like Halo! Muhahahah

Fuchsdh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_LT2-hY41I&hd=1

I really hope this means Halo 5 will be much more open. They need to improve the AI as well, at least at Reach Levels. The AI in Halo 4 is atrocious when compared to Reach, ODST, and Halo 3.

I've been replaying Halo 4 and it almost feels like they just accidentally dropped a value on the enemies' engage distance--there's locations where they just don't seem to see you and you can attack them at range a la Halo CE, and unlike Reach they don't even dance around majorly. That and the bad Banshee AI were the only deficiencies I noted (although those certainly make a huge difference.)

I still want to drive down the canyon like you see in the intro to reach, it only had one way to go but so much ground, looked awesome too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_LT2-hY41I&hd=1

They have to. Halo is Microsoft's flagship title. If they do not show what Xbox One's hardware is capable of, they will be a lot of bashing. I personally hope they would go nuts with Halo Xbox One's singleplayer. Try something new. Try something exciting.

I still want to drive down the canyon like you see in the intro to reach, it only had one way to go but so much ground, looked awesome too.
I still want to have experience where battles happen everywhere. If you play co-op, one of your friends is fighting at the other side of the area. And the area is huge. And you fighting at your end. Another is fighting in the middle. But that's something I want for Halo 6. For Halo Xbox One, I want exploration.

TCKaos

That is the impostor system Bungie created that first appeared in Reach. Some forge objects weren't very good with this system, as like 200 feet away it would turn into the "cheap" model and the model was "too cheap" , well I can get a picture.

Then compared to textures, Halo 4 is really really bad. Some of the stuff Is just unbelievable. The objects may look good from far away, but if you walk near it?

I also cant believe some developer literally was allowed to make the glass on the pelican, straight up grey. That just seems incredibly lazy.

Halo 4 sandbag texture

Water comparison

And to end, to show that compared to Reach, Halo 4 I feel is "blurred", and deluded.

But look at how beautiful the sky is (after being ported to Halo CE, where you can see them without color correction/bloom/shafts).

Can somebody get a shot of Valhalla's skybox? This is Ragnarok's skybox, which is a dome with a single texture (here it is looking not out of place on Timberlands).

daedalius

Hub system in halo 5?

Open world roaming? Nah, not 'cinematic' enough.

Maybe something like odst but bigger. That would be cool.

Just get rid of the current promethean gameplay design...

heckfu

Banned
i'm ready for new halo multiplayer for nothing else other than people getting online to play again

fwiw, hgs down for maintenance.

Gui_PT

THIS WINTER

THE TROOPERS WILL DROP

*WUB* *WUB*

Halo: ODST 2

So we took a long look at ODST to find what we didn't like about it so we could raise the bar for the sequel

The characters felt too weak and vulnerable so we gave them the latest and strongest armour possible.

There weren't enough flashy weapons so we created tons of new power weapons so you'll feel stronger as a player. And hey, explosions are always awesome

Also, considering we're on earth and have big stations orbiting the earth, you now have the ability to call a nuke whenever you're having trouble with a certain level or encounter.
Now being able to call a nuke at any time wouldn't be balanced so there are a few conditions for you to be able to use it. There's a recharge meter. How do you recharge it? Camp for 60 seconds without being shot and there you go, another nuke!

We felt the hub world was too big and difficult to navigate so we removed it completely and reduced the size of the levels to prevent the players from getting lost.

The AI felt too complicated and overly responsive at times so we turned the enemies into bullet sponges

Ultimately we didn't enjoy actual decent characters and a focus on good story/story telling so we removed those completely and now you simply play as Sarah Palmer, a character we adore

Oh and firefight had too many enemies and waves so we just scrapped it completely

ODST 2

WUB

Omni

Halo 4 sandbag texture

Water comparison

Halo Reach looks so good. If they had just gotten rid of the temporal AA, it would have been amazing.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So while you Americans get Crackdown and Dead Rising 2, me in germany will get Shadowrun and Lost Planet 2.

Quite interesting I I never owned Shadowrun myself so this is cool

Is Shadowrun any good?

And can I get it by making a German account with the 1-month trials my Xbox comes with?

FyreWulff

Halo Reach looks so good. If they had just gotten rid of the temporal AA, it would have been amazing.

Unfortunately MS requires 360 titles to have some form of AA

So while you Americans get Crackdown and Dead Rising 2, me in germany will get Shadowrun and Lost Planet 2.

Quite interesting I I never owned Shadowrun myself so this is cool

That's weird.. wonder if the US will get Shadowrun later

Remember, you can play with anyone that has the PC version. I might reinstall here

Same here, except who knows when Titanfall will finally hit the PS4. I want that game so bad. :-(((((

NEVER lololololol

----------------------

Hopefully the US gets Shadowrun for free at some point. Seems like a game that would be perfect to give away for free.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
TitanFall 2 2016 mayhaps?
The first Titanfall is rumored to hit the PS4 within a year of the XB1 version. CBOAT here on GAF said so. Hopefully he's right.

I really don't want to wait, though! It's the only thing the XB1 has that I'm really jealous of, hah.

Top Bottom