• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Booshka

So... this is the COD way of thinking these days: “You can’t change the rules too much”

Until consumers fans just get flat out sick to their stomach of the same game they are not going to change it.

this is also a flame worthy argument for why Halo changed,
Would Halo be looked at in the same light if Reach never changed the way Halo was played?
...Maybe thats why Bungie started this transition in the first place?

We tend to look down on COD for its c/p antics on an annual basis, but when alot of fans want Halo 2 forever, I guess we arent much better.
If it ain't broke don't fix it works for the best of the best highly refined Multiplayer games (Halo CE, Quake 3 Arena, Starcraft:Brood War) but most are broken and can be improved.

CoD is garbage but its popular for what it is, so why change it. I can respect that in a sense. If Bungie took that stance with Halo CE, I would be a much happier Halo fan.

If it ain't broke don't fix it works for the best of the best highly refined Multiplayer games (Halo CE, Quake 3 Arena, Starcraft:Brood War) but most are broken and can be improved.

CoD is garbage but its popular for what it is, so why change it. I can respect that in a sense. If Bungie took that stance with Halo CE, I would be a much happier Halo fan.

Halo 1, 2, and 3 are the same really.

Booshka

Halo 1, 2, and 3 are the same really.

lol, to the general gaming public sure, but to me and other hardcore Halo fans, they're not even close. Halo CE is a lot different than Halo 2 and 3. H2 and H3 are probably the most similar in the series, and even those are vastly different.

lol, to the general gaming public sure, but to me and other hardcore Halo fans, they're not even close. Halo CE is a lot different than Halo 2 and 3. H2 and H3 are probably the most similar in the series, and even those are vastly different.

The same can be said for COD then. COD 4 and the current ones are different.

This right here. DaTruff.

Booshka

The same can be said for COD then. COD 4 and the current ones are different.

I wouldn't really know, last CoD I played was 4. The core mechanics (moving, aiming, shooting, sprinting, jumping) all look the same throughout the series though, whereas the same can not be said for Halo. All the stuff around it, perks, killstreaks, maps, weapons is where the major difference is, but they don't really change the actual core of the game all that much. Halo has had its core mechanics and engine changed significantly with every release outside of maybe ODST.

Nowise10

I am all for change to a certain extent. What Halo 4 did was blatantly copy Call of Dutys style for gameplay, add in mechanics that don't belong in Halo, and then changed options that weren't broken, and ended up degrading them.

Armor Abilities were an attempt to change up the gameplay, but to me just add a layer of frustration when playing competitively. In Reach campaign, I loved them, they were fun to use against the AI. In Matchmaking, having someone armorlock and live, or use a hardlight shield when they are about to die and are 100 feet away, so they can walk to safety? Or me sneaking up to the enemy base to get the flag and hiding, only to get hit with Promethean vision and then get a spotted.

You can change a game without changing its gameplay. Halo 3 and forge? Absolutely changed the game, and adding that one editing feature probably gave the game the popularity it had for so many years.

I wouldn't really know, last CoD I played was 4. The core mechanics (moving, aiming, shooting, sprinting, jumping) all look the same throughout the series though, whereas the same can not be said for Halo. All the stuff around it, perks, killstreaks, maps, weapons is where the major difference is, but they don't really change the actual core of the game all that much. Halo has had its core mechanics and engine changed significantly with every release outside of maybe ODST.

The core is different for COD too. The current one's are faster in movement and aiming compared to COD 4. There is even less recoil on the current titles as well.

Booshka

My favorite major change to the Halo series was Shadowrun, completely different to Halo, yet it retained the original Halo engine and core mechanics.

I would love to see something entirely different for the Halo series, just as long as it is an amazing game. I understand the desire for Classic Halo, and it seems the easiest to replicate properly, but apparently it isn't because Bungie and now 343 keep fucking up and make some mixed abortion of CoD, Halo, Shadowrun, and whatever else is in their head. So maybe just go all out and make something completely different, with little to no ties to Halo of the past, or any other game series. If it is an awesome competitive shooter, then I won't care if it is totally different.

My favorite major change to the Halo series was Shadowrun, completely different to Halo, yet it retained the original Halo engine and core mechanics.
Actually, Shadowrun runs on a proprietary engine called Badger. The game did however, see prototyping in the Halo engine, which probably explains the similarity of their play feel.

So is there no way for me to trick the system so I can download Shadowrun for free too? I'd rather it over Crackdown any day of the week.

The hell you tryna say about Crackdown, son.

I'm a huge Samurai Jack fan and heard that IDW is bringing it back huge with a new comic book series.

This panel from the first issue stuck out:

Looks almost exactly like the Halo One Chief reveal trailer setup :lol

No doubt other movies and media have done such a reveal, but it being so recent really stuck me as... odd.

In short, I am a huge nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0xs_xpTYo

Ghazi

So how much would GameStop give for Halo 4? I'm probably the only person who hasn't traded it in yet. I'm sick of this garbage, I gave it another go today and it was horrible. After all the map packs and updates I don't have an excuse to say the game will get better, RIP. This was after I stopped playing CoD because that sucks too, why are there no good recent FPS games?

blamite

I remember seeing that, then later the Halo commentaries come out - Staten mentions in Halo 2 that they originally wanted you to actually ride down in the pod and be able to see through the window when you drop onto Delta Halo, and not have it as a cutscene that used camera angle tricks.

So at the time, I just put 2 and 2 together and assumed that was an attempt at getting that moment to work in Halo 3, but didn't pan out quite yet for some reason. Then they finally pulled it off in ODST's intro.

Didn't they kind of use it in Halo 3 in the intro cutscene for The Ark? It's not a big deal but you can kind of see the sky turning blue as the Pelican enters the atmosphere.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So how much would GameStop give for Halo 4? I'm probably the only person who hasn't traded it in yet. I'm sick of this garbage, I gave it another go today and it was horrible. After all the map packs and updates I don't have an excuse to say the game will get better, RIP. This was after I stopped playing CoD because that sucks too, why are there no good recent FPS games?

CAG says $8, and there's a 30% extra bonus, so $10.40. Those values aren't concrete though.

DeadNames

Banned

Play league of legends. Add lightning3658. Have fun.

Nowise10

Battlefield 3

Question for you nerds, in the Halo: Rebirth Narrative "Trial of Mendicant Bias" the part where the "Long Mandibles coming out of the sand" is the Forerunner Bird of Prey looking Bot in Halo (5) XB1 trailer the same?

Ghazi

Battlefield 3
I own it, and I do like it (I guess I should've explained recent as in 2012->). I have the Premium Edition, the only thing I don't like about it is how much info and stuff you have to take in at one time. I always like Halo for its simplicity, it was elegant and still managed to be fairly complex, yet still simple. CoD is braindead simple, to the point to where I feel insulted when I play it because of how stupid it is.

When I play with a group of people for BF3 it's the most fun I've had since Halo 3.
Play league of legends. Add lightning3658. Have fun.
haha I play Dota 2, but I'll reinstall League and give it a go with you later.
CAG says $8, and there's a 30% extra bonus, so $10.40. Those values aren't concrete though.

Fuck, if I get that much for it I'll take it. Will try to see what they give me and report back.

FyreWulff

Didn't they kind of use it in Halo 3 in the intro cutscene for The Ark? It's not a big deal but you can kind of see the sky turning blue as the Pelican enters the atmosphere.

Good eye, I think they are using it there.

edit: that reminded me

lNyCi0u.jpg

wtf is that

FYC

Banned

Rise of the Triad

It's 15 bucks

Does anyone know of any sales for 12 mo xbl codes? What's the cheapest I can find one? I may want to play halo again eventually. And Netflix. Mostly Netflix.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Also, QuakeCon Steam Sale going on. So all id Software games are 75% off, I got the Doom Complete pack and Quake 1. So, go download some good shooters on Steam for cheap.

I have 10 bucks on Steam, what should I get? Preferably something with fun multiplayer and a large playerbase.

Ghazi

Halo 4 was $9.10, they convinced me to sign up for a PowerUp Rewards card.

This was my first time selling games, I feel like I sold my soul (about the card too).

I got a total of $19 with all my other games, Brink was $.97

Fracas

#fuckonami

This was my first time selling games, I feel like I sold my soul (about the card too).

If you're gonna be buying stuff there, I have a 25% off 1 used game coupon if you want it. I get 1000 of those rewards points if you use it, so there's mutual benefit lol.

DeadNames

Banned

Holy shit dude... I was so hyped for brink. That game looked so awesome.

wwm0nkey

You at least get a buy 2 get 1 free used code with the card, so that's something I guess.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I played Crackdown two years ago and still loved the hell out of it. It's stupid and shallow, but you know, some games are just like that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just posted in the "Your Most Anticipated Game" thread, and Destiny only barely made my list. It feels weird to feel so unexcited for Bungie's next big thing.

PS: While I'm on the topic of being off topic, what's the official moderator policy on this thread going off topic? To what degree can we talk about things other than Halo?

Homeboyd

I just posted in the "Your Most Anticipated Game" thread, and Destiny only barely made my list. It feels weird to feel so unexcited for Bungie's next big thing.

PS: While I'm on the topic of being off topic, what's the official moderator policy on this thread going off topic? To what degree can we talk about things other than Halo?
I don't know, but you should all check out that worm thread in OT.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I don't know what official policy is now, but it seems that we're back to one large community, which I like. I've barely played Halo in the last month, so being able to talk about a multitude of things suits me nicely.

Fuchsdh

Yeah I'll get Destiny but I haven't been able to get as hyped for the world as a lot of my B.org cohorts seem to be. I guess I'm waiting to see if the universe pulls me in the same way Halo did once I'm actually playing.

Speaking of which, I'm kind of enjoying the quiet lull before the comic series hit and the rampup to Halo 5 or whatnot and the TV series and the last Traviss novel. Looking back we've been absolutely swamped with stuff, not in an oppressing way but it's nice to just have certain releases to look forward to. There's something to be said for keeping your audience hungry.

Watching the footage released so far, Destiny looks kinda boring imo

I've liked Bungie games before Halo and really like the idea of matchmaking behind the scenes but the bullet sponge of that tank was a real anti-climax and just boring looking. I hope the big enemies are more than just sit in the middle of a crap shoot.

I trust in Bungie and love the aspect of using our real universe in the future for the story. If the campaign aspect joins the seamless matchmaking they may have something. But ADS, fuck I hate ADS. Please be some weapons in there that scope.

I've liked Bungie games before Halo and really like the idea of matchmaking behind the scenes but the bullet sponge of that tank was a real anti-climax and just boring looking. I hope the big enemies are more than just sit in the middle of a crap shoot.

I trust in Bungie and love the aspect of using our real universe in the future for the story. If the campaign aspect joins the seamless matchmaking they may have something. But ADS, fuck I hate ADS. Please be some weapons in there that scope.

I felt the same watching really. The lead up before they showed footage had me interested. But seeing it in action, just didn't blow me away.

Guess I had higher expectations from the same lads who really advanced shooters with CE.

Top Bottom