• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Destiny is the future. You better thinks its the best damn thing you've ever seen.

I have very high hopes for the game, but what they've shown is basically Borderlands, but very pretty.

I don't think it's absurd that people aren't losing their minds over that.

Madness

You guys can get the fuck out if you think Destiny isn't amazing.

Get the fuck out of HaloGAF for not liking Destiny? I don't know, I was super excited for it. But everything I've seen and heard has me going meh. I prefer to play games alone unless it's multiplayer. I hate raids, grinding for loot etc. There is a reason I'm a Halo fan and not necessarily a huge Borderlands fan.

Add in the insta-lunge knife melee, ADS etc. I don't know how much I'm going to like the multiplayer. If I had to choose, I'd say TitanFall looks funner.

Nowise10

I am joking you grapes, I know what an opinion is <3,

The game looks pretty good. I'm not amazed with it yet either, but I feel like they still have alot to show, as its coming out next year, and that is a lot of time.

I am joking you grapes, I know what an opinion is <3,

The game looks pretty good. I'm not amazed with it yet either, but I feel like they still have alot to show, as its coming out next year, and that is a lot of time.

To me Bungie really nail that "I love/hate this game but have to play another", if they strike that chord once again I hope I don't "invest" as much time as I did with Halo 2/3. I have kids to feed ;)

Overall I hope they simplify the loot/progression paths as I hate grinding and I never do it. No Cheevos, no unlocks, no commendations as I simply do not care to do that. One of their real strengths is in the presentation so the sum of its parts is greater than the individual parts. I think once it's hands on time for Destiny the hype for me will ramp up. They have been very smart at sticking with Sci-Fi and FPS core, well played and that really keeps my interest.

I hope they really take advantage of the dedicated servers on X1, if any developer screws that up due to being cross platform then count me out. I've lived with crap hosts on XBL for the last 10 years I simply won't play multiplayer games that don't take serious advantage of this in next gen.

Omni

I can't see the multiplayer aspect of Destiny being all that good. But the campaign sounds interesting... just a shame about the lack of dedicated servers. And that ugly 3D filter that they've plastered over the game which gives me headaches.

Ghazi

You at least get a buy 2 get 1 free used code with the card, so that's something I guess.
Isn't that currently an offer available to everyone?
Holy shit dude... I was so hyped for brink. That game looked so awesome.
I was too, I hit max character rank on so many different characters and played the game for 70+ hours. In reality, it wasn't that good of a game, but I enjoyed it. I regret selling it tbh since my uncle bought it for me at full price on release day and I did enjoy it to an extent, But I also haven't even played it since March 2012.

I feel kinda sad, I mean I didn't play halo 4 often after it crashed and burned but I did buy it at launch at full price and bought the War Games pass. I do not buy games at launch often at all, Halo has been pretty exclusive for that aside from Dark Souls and a couple other games. It just feels like a huge waste of money.

Ghazi

Yeah go to poweruprewards.com and tgen active offers....they really should have told you that. ..

The guy didn't mention it, all he told me was that I'd be getting $11 in cash for my trade ins if I didn't want to get and apply it to a card. So I took the card option, it'll inevitably either be spent on games, movies, or food anyway and I'd rather use it on games.

Edit: I went to active offers and there's nothing there, I'm fairly sure it's available to everyone as when I walked into the front door it was on a poster and I didn't see it saying it required a Rewards Account.

I have very high hopes for the game, but what they've shown is basically Borderlands, but very pretty.

I don't think it's absurd that people aren't losing their minds over that.

I am worried about the loot system, it looks like everyone gets loot instead of fighting for the loot or getting nothing and make another raid to get your stuff.

Omni

Finally completed Far Cry 3, next up, Sleeping Dogs. I am not missing Halo......I don't like that.

I couldn't find the interest in completing Far Cry 3 actually. Think I got up to the second island (near the end, maybe?). Just had no motivation

m23

I couldn't find the interest in completing Far Cry 3 actually. Think I got up to the second island (near the end, maybe?). Just had no motivation

You're pretty close to the end, just a couple hours left. Personally, I loved the game. The framerate is pretty bad, but it was a great game otherwise. Gameplay was fun and I found the story interesting. But I guess if you didn't enjoy the game as much so far, nothing really changes drastically on the second island.

Booshka

You're pretty close to the end, just a couple hours left. Personally, I loved the game. The framerate is pretty bad, but it was a great game otherwise. Gameplay was fun and I found the story interesting. But I guess if you didn't enjoy the game as much so far, nothing really changes drastically on the second island.

I plan on playing Far Cry 3 when it goes on sale this Winter on Steam, hoping for 5-10 bucks. 60 FPS and 1080p glory as well.

GhaleonEB

I've liked Bungie games before Halo and really like the idea of matchmaking behind the scenes but the bullet sponge of that tank was a real anti-climax and just boring looking. I hope the big enemies are more than just sit in the middle of a crap shoot.
FWIW, I didn't think the tank looked very bullet spongy. It had a number of weak points, and after it had taken a level of damage exposed it's core which allowed it to be destroyed. In all the demos I saw, they ended the battle with space magic to the core to finish it off (sorta like a Scarab). I wouldn't be surprised if the demo was coded so they had to use that to the core to kill it, that was it didn't blow up without a big finish. I got the impression that a more focused strategy could dismantle and take it down quickly via weak points/core strike. The battle seemed a bit protracted for show.

It did just sit there and engage lots of guys who circled it though, which wasn't super exciting. But I didn't come away thinking it was a damage sponge.

Madness

Finally completed Far Cry 3, next up, Sleeping Dogs. I am not missing Halo......I don't like that.

Same. Haven't touched Halo 4 in almost a month. Have lost all interest in that football mode/ Pit remake as well. I'm knee deep in Red Dead, almost done, probably one of the best games I've played. I can't believe I thought it was boring at the start. After this finishes, gotta finish up AC3. I want to pick up Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs, two games I never bought. Probably finish up the gen with GTA V.

Mix

Same. Haven't touched Halo 4 in almost a month. Have lost all interest in that football mode/ Pit remake as well. I'm knee deep in Red Dead, almost done, probably one of the best games I've played. I can't believe I thought it was boring at the start. After this finishes, gotta finish up AC3. I want to pick up Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs, two games I never bought. Probably finish up the gen with GTA V.

Dishonored the the most underrated game ever made. It's fantastic and people shit ob it all the time... Mostly people who haven't even played it.

Watching the footage released so far, Destiny looks kinda boring imo

I will say that it is still a long ways away but it is not jumping out at me like the next big thing like I thought it would. I will buy it for sure but I am not convinced that this can be some great series.

Its just like I said about 343 and CoD elements in Halo, if I want CoD I can go play that. I have Borderlands already and honestly, although I like it, you get burned out on the looting.

Dishonored the the most underrated game ever made. It's fantastic and people shit ob it all the time... Mostly people who haven't even played it.
No. Dishonored has a very warm critical reception and certainly sold well enough for Bethesda to want Arkane to turn it into a franchise. A few outliers with negative opinions don't define its overall reputation.

I really enjoyed the game, but as a spiritual successor of sorts to Thief it felt similar to the jump from System Shock 2 to BioShock. A lot was stripped down and simplified and made certain approaches way too basic. That said it had great core gameplay and some really strong level design. It's a lot better with indicators off, too.

Hopefully any sequels that may come can add the wrinkles it needed.

PNut

Banned
Destiny has aim down sights. The story will probably be good but the MP will suck.

I spent 3 hours playing Halo 3 customs tonight and it felt like 30 minutes went by. That's what I want from video games. Not scripted enemy sequences where I collect loot over and over again so I dress up my character. That's the way games are going though.

They all seem to be chasing that COD money. good luck.

daedalius

Destiny is an MMO with FPS mechanics; everything they showed in there is something that has existed in an MMO before that (well, besides a decent shooting experience).

Will that be enough for it? It certainly looks interesting to me, but I need to see more.

I'm sure I'll end up getting it when it comes out though; I really hope the enemies are engaging... and the boss fights have lots of cool mechanics (because it is totally going to have bosses, lots of them).

Destiny is an MMO with FPS mechanics; everything they showed in there is something that has existed in an MMO before that (well, besides a decent shooting experience).

Will that be enough for it? It certainly looks interesting to me, but I need to see more.

I'm sure I'll end up getting it when it comes out though; I really hope the enemies are engaging... and the boss fights have lots of cool mechanics (because it is totally going to have bosses, lots of them).

Except, Bungie has stated its not an MMO.

FWIW, I didn't think the tank looked very bullet spongy. It had a number of weak points, and after it had taken a level of damage exposed it's core which allowed it to be destroyed. In all the demos I saw, they ended the battle with space magic to the core to finish it off (sorta like a Scarab). I wouldn't be surprised if the demo was coded so they had to use that to the core to kill it, that was it didn't blow up without a big finish. I got the impression that a more focused strategy could dismantle and take it down quickly via weak points/core strike. The battle seemed a bit protracted for show.

It did just sit there and engage lots of guys who circled it though, which wasn't super exciting. But I didn't come away thinking it was a damage sponge.

I probably mislabelled it as bullet sponge but I think we agree with the gist. The enemies seem to have solid variety, more akin to RPG than FPS so I shouldn't speak so soon.

It seems to me that Bungie are holding back gameplay so it's hard to read into the gameplay elements at this stage.

I think the spider tank thing looks a bit too Scarab like. I mean, it's pretty much a small scarab. You shoot the legs, then the core gets exposed, and you blow it up.

I thought it is kinda weird that Bungie said they wanted to do something different from Halo, and then they design something so similar to a Scarab in their new game.

excowboy

I was going to say this too - I imagine there'll be a couple of ways to engage it. They're not going to regress their gameplay from Halo, where you have a number of options to engage vehicles, and just give them massive health bars.

On Borderlands comparisons - I played all of B1 on my lonesome and to be honest it was boring and a massive grind, because every encounter and area is basically the same. What we've seen of Destiny is a variety of enemies and settings, and I think we can trust Bungie with the AI to make things spicy.

Also, people are mentioning the 'loot' aspect but seem to be forgetting the RPG stuff they've shown that - appears to - allow meaningful upgrades and customisation to your weapons, as opposed to just more damage/faster reload/bigger clip/pick an elemental effect.

Finally - can't wait til they show off the spaceships and space combat - I'm 100% sure its coming, as I've been since playing Long Night of Solace, and I'm hoping it'll be awesome!

This being a Halo thread and all, I feel it is appropriate to ask on here. For the last few months, Halo 4 has sat on my shelf collecting dust (figuratively). I have lost all interest in it. I'm a big fan of the multiplayer, but I've since been abandoned by my pals. Playing just doesn't feel right anymore without someone to talk to. At least in a tactical sense. I want to play again but without anyone to play with, I see no future in this game. At least for me. So, I was wondering; is there a group of you gaffers out there that likes to get together every once in a while to play? I would very much like to meet new people who are still as enthralled by this game as I am.

This being a Halo thread and all, I feel it is appropriate to ask on here. For the last few months, Halo 4 has sat on my shelf collecting dust (figuratively). I have lost all interest in it. I'm a big fan of the multiplayer, but I've since been abandoned by my pals. Playing just doesn't feel right anymore without someone to talk to. At least in a tactical sense. I want to play again but without anyone to play with, I see no future in this game. At least for me. So, I was wondering; is there a group of you gaffers out there that likes to get together every once in a while to play? I would very much like to meet new people who are still as enthralled by this game as I am.

Xand
ZalinKrow
Gazzawa69
Bobs99
Overdoziz
Squidhands

I am told these people still play the game. I know Xand's open to friends request anytime.

TheOddOne

Xand
ZalinKrow
Gazzawa69
Bobs99
Overdoziz
Squidhands

I am told these people still play the game. I know Xand's open to friends request anytime.
Don't be a dick to the new guy, smellzar.

Sorry new guy, Elzar is a bad person and you should avoid him like the plague. Also, he is jerk. No, he is a super jerk. In real life he is almost a lawyer, so that should tell you enough.

Don't be a dick to the new guy, smellzar.

Sorry new guy, Elzar is a bad person and you should avoid him like the plague. Also, he is jerk. No, he is a super jerk. In real life he is almost a lawyer, so that should tell you enough.

As a disclaimer, may I just say &#8217;I was told&#8217;.

My sources may have been several months old, however.

Also I'm not lying about Xand or Krow.

TheOddOne

As a disclaimer, may I just say ’I was told’.

My sources may have been several months old, however.
SEE TRYING TO COVER HIMSELF WITH LAWYER 'INTERPRETATION' OF WORDS. IT'S WHAT ALL THE SLIMY BLOOD SUCKING LAWYERS DO.

DISGUSTING. JERK.

I might still love you. MIGHT.

SEE TRYING TO COVER HIMSELF WITH LAWYER 'INTERPRETATION' OF WORDS. IT'S WHAT ALL THE SLIMY BLOOD SUCKING LAWYERS DO.

DISGUSTING. JERK.

b82I6ag.jpg

Top Bottom