• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I kept reading on GAF that Microsoft' confirmed that HDCP is disabled when playing games, so Capture Cards will work on the Xbox One. So it's just like this gen, guys with capture devices are still good. :p

Seriously though, I wonder WHY the limit is 5 minutes, anyone know why it even has a limit?

Something like 15 seems much better, but the big issue is HD space.

If you only have a 500GB one right off the bat and decide to go fully digital this generation, on top of rendering however many snippets of 5 minute 720p video, that's already a lot of memory taken up.

Plus, if there isn't an obvious indicator, a limitless capture function could be left on as a background process by accident and your One would explode from running out of room to do shit.

If you only have a 500GB one right off the bat and decide to go fully digital this generation, on top of rendering however many snippets of 5 minute 720p video, that's already a lot of memory taken up.

Plus, if there isn't an obvious indicator, a limitless capture function could be left on as a background process by accident and your One would explode from running out of room to do shit.

But but.....cloud!

15 minutes of compressed 720p video probably won't fill up a 500 GB hard drive though. :/ That should allow you to record as much as possible, only stopping you when your Hard Drive memory gets lowering than 10GBs, and be able to record on an external Hard Drive as well.

The Amazon box art for Halo (Xbox One Edition) is amazing.
61ZL9fg83uL._SL1500_.jpg

DeadNames

Banned
What if halo 5 goes back to the classic halo formula and has great forge, campaign, firefight AND spartan ops?

I'd be pretty damn shocked.

What if halo 5 goes back to the classic halo formula and has great forge, campaign, firefight AND spartan ops?

I'd be pretty damn shocked.

You say that as if its a crazy idea. In every game Bungie did, they outdid themselves in the features department. They always added shit without taking any away. I don't see why this is a crazy impossible idea now. If 343 needs to hire more people, then hire more people. But get it done.

Sai-kun

Banned
You say that as if its a crazy idea. In every game Bungie did, they outdid themselves in the features department. They always added shit without taking any away. I don't see why this is a crazy impossible idea now. If 343 needs to hire more people, then hire more people. But get it done.

why talk about what bungie did when it's pretty clear that 343 doesn't work the same way?

I'd say halo is six feet under atm. 343 has a chance to revive it though... They just need to deliver. A lot.

Which is why i mentioned Bungie. They, for the most-part, always delivered in terms of adding features to what was already there. Maybe i was naive, but i fully expected that in 4. I never expected to not be able to play certain game-types anymore..... Halo5s road starts by putting everything you took away in 4 back into the core game, and add to that.

DeadNames

Banned
Which is why i mentioned Bungie. They, for the most-part, always delivered in terms of adding features to what was already there. Maybe i was naive, but i fully expected that in 4. I never expected to not be able to play certain game-types anymore..... Halo5s road starts by putting everything you took away in 4 back into the core game, and add to that.

Gameplay > features. It's more or less evident that halos gameplay has gone down over the years. Halo 5 can have A ton of neat features but if the game isnt fun to play... What's the point?

what was the conclusion?
Theoretically that chief has missing armor
And he is purposely wearing the desert cloak

Don't know how or why, but My Theory is either these things:

• He's gone rogue (possibly but not likely)
• Fought an epic battle and got fucked up in the process by bad alien or forerunner guys.
• ONI & UNSC Assholes Tried to Exterminate him through cover ups & conspiracies.

FyreWulff

Just imagine if they had a public beta prior the release...

I may just be shooting the shit here but the beta probably didn't happen due to Halo 4's development clusterfuck. When you're stating your game is in pre-alpha 6 months out from RTM, you're in trouble.

Shipping a beta (especially on the 360) is almost like shipping a finished game in terms of manpower. Developers hate demos for the same reason. They're a separate branch that must be worked on.

A beta usually has two issues: it's based off an old build, and it has to go through cert just like any other game. So you basically snapshot a decent idea of what you have so far, then clean that up so people can actually play the game properly. Halo 3's beta was an old build, and so was Reach's (I seem to vaguely remember that by the time the Reach beta came out, Reach's vehicles had already been reworked in the current dev trunk).

By the time Reach rolled around, Bungie had their dev process down to a more well oiled machine after the terrorfuck that was Halo 2. They had experience from the Halo 3 public beta.

343 didn't have the experience and Halo 4, as obvious as it is and as not nice as it sounds, came in fucking hot. Losing time and manpower for a Halo 4 beta, with my broad assumptions and viewpoint of both company dev processes, was just not on the table. It was Halo 2 2: Ludohorrorschau Zwei.

Reckon they'll do a Halo 5 beta?

Cause I don't. Seems too fan oriented/not shareholder centric enough for the modern day Halo product.

Reckon they'll do a Halo 5 beta?

Cause I don't. Seems too fan oriented/not shareholder centric enough for the modern day Halo product.

No, and primarily for the reasons the Fyre listed above, especially with an assumed 2 year dev cycle for their next game, a public beta just takes up a lot of resources and time.

blamite

I might be misunderstanding things but the impression I get isn't that you can only record up to five minutes, it's that in addition to whatever happens after you press the record button, you'll constantly have your last five minutes recorded, so if something cool happens when you're not recording, as long as it was withing the past five minutes, you can just rewind and it will still have been saved.

I've never heard of either MS or Sony restricting the length of clips you can record.

I just realized that Halo is no longer a annual franchise, since there hasn't been a Halo game released in 2013.

Spartan Assault doesn't count damn it

343 should keep it this way, I don't want another Halo game after Halo One, except for a Halo 2 Anniversary or something. Hmm... I wonder if Halo One will honor Halo 2 at all, maybe Halo 2 maps are remade for Halo One, that would be fine by me, have 10 or so original maps and another few remakes from Halo 2.

I just realized that Halo is no longer a annual franchise, since there hasn't been a Halo game released in 2013.

Spartan Assault doesn't count damn it

343 should keep it this way, I don't want another Halo game after Halo One, except for a Halo 2 Anniversary or something. Hmm... I wonder if Halo One will honor Halo 2 at all, maybe Halo 2 maps are remade for Halo One, that would be fine by me, have 10 or so original maps and another few remakes from Halo 2.

Halo was never an annual franchise.

wars and odst don't count. one is an expansion and the other is an rts. Halo ann was a re-release of an already released game.

They are all games in the Halo franchise, so I have no idea how they "don't count".

The "expansion" was full-priced, so I'm not how how that gets called an expansion either.

They are all games in the Halo franchise, so I have no idea how they "don't count".

The "expansion" was full-priced, so I'm not how how that gets called an expansion either.

Expansion was MS charging more like i said. Then count the Halo phone game if we use this logic, Lego batman in the batman franchise,etc.

Nowise10

...Halo Wars doesnt count as a game release because its an RTS, and ODST doesnt count because it was an "expansion" that cost $60 and had a midnight launch and came in a case.

k.

FyreWulff

That's MS being MS. they knew they could get away charging that much for a re release and expansion.

It was actually apparently due to their policy on multi disc games. Multi disc has to be 60$ new.

Hence the Anniversary Reach disc multiplayer clusterfuck, being available for 40$ new

Fuchsdh

Listening to the Halo Spartan Assault OST now. It's pretty solid, and I think it's actually better than Rippy's Wars music (although I think that's partially due to the fact that Rippy had a harder task with RTS music.)

I loved the work he did on CEA though, which I think after repeated listenings has become my favorite Halo OST, period (excluding that rewriting of the guitar solo though, there wasn't much of a reason for that.) It's just so alien-sounding, and it sounds like what I always imagined the original OST sounded like.

In short: 343, get this guy and Kazuma Jinnouchi together and have them run on Halo stuff in the future. Davidge was good but I think you're going to get a lot more bang for your buck, and a more authentic Halo sound, by sticking with these guys.

Also on that note, has anyone here ordered the H4 OST Vol 2 off the official site? Damn thing didn't give me a code or anything, it acted like it was shipping a physical item, so I've contacted support.

No, and primarily for the reasons the Fyre listed above, especially with an assumed 2 year dev cycle for their next game, a public beta just takes up a lot of resources and time.

Fyre's post accentuated the amount of effort and work that goes into a beta. Makes you appreciate bungie and a three year dev cycle even more (not that those beta's were entirely selfless; I'm aware that they were hooks to drive sales of Crackdown and ODST).

Top Bottom