• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You're going to enjoy the hell out of it. Unless you buy the very pinnacle of LED televisions, and I'm talking about the flagship versions, nothing touches Plasma. Which model did you get?

S60. Same as Kyle. Lowest input lag, and it was less expensive for a bigger set.

343 didn't have the experience and Halo 4, as obvious as it is and as not nice as it sounds, came in fucking hot. Losing time and manpower for a Halo 4 beta, with my broad assumptions and viewpoint of both company dev processes, was just not on the table. It was Halo 2 2: Ludohorrorschau Zwei.
But what about the dude with the cellphone cam in the barn at night on the VHS player with the tape of the recorded secret beta footage?

Should I have any hope for the Halo trilogy being announced for Steam at Gamescom? Surely they want Halo there, and it's too soon I would think for anything Halo Xbox One. Halo 3 PC is a big enough deal for Microsoft to reveal it at an event like that, right?

Omni

I just ordered a 65" Panny plasma. OhgodwhatamIdoing.

We have one in our loungeroom. It's an LG model, but still amazing! Don't tend to game on it often, but when I do...

rs_226x200-130423123125-tumblr_lmxw1lDvYw1qexvtu.gif

Fuchsdh

feel the burn
in

Sounds sweet. I'm used to my hobbit dwellings though and sitting so close to the screen--doubt I'll ever really use anything beyond a 32" when I get one. For now my 22" monitor pulls double shifts.

Fyre's post accentuated the amount of effort and work that goes into a beta. Makes you appreciate bungie and a three year dev cycle even more (not that those beta's were entirely selfless; I'm aware that they were hooks to drive sales of Crackdown and ODST).

When did any feedback from gamers playing a beta, Halo beta specifically, amount to developer changes for the game release?

I think gamers vs. developers perspectives on public betas are a world apart. Usually betas are for testing netcode, matchmaking, gitches, map exploits etc. I don't think I've seen a Bungie beta where the release game took in most of the community feedback?

Am I wrong here?

Tawpgun

When did any feedback from gamers playing a beta, Halo beta specifically, amount to developer changes for the game release?

I think gamers vs. developers perspectives on public betas are a world apart. Usually betas are for testing netcode, matchmaking, gitches, map exploits etc. I don't think I've seen a Bungie beta where the release game took in most of the community feedback?

Am I wrong here?

You're wrong. Reach changed the DMR bullet count, speed, jump height. Just off the top of my head.

Halo 3 beta had visual changes to the bubble shield, hog was nerfed, trip mine nerfed (rip)

Gears 3 beta changed a lot, including layouts of maps.

FyreWulff

Am I wrong here?

Halo 3 carbine got changed due to feedback from the beta. Valhalla was adjusted due to feedback and players breaking the map.

For Reach, I saw most of the bugs reported on Bungie.net get fixed. I know all of mine got fixed. The jump height and speed changes and clip changes as posted above too.

The rest of it wasn't direct feedback changes per se, but made because of beta data they had, like heatmaps and such. I think there was actually a mid-beta change to Invasion with the weapons available to Spartans to give Elites a better chance to get past Phase 1. But they also do it for the reasons you stated.

I wouldn't ever expect a game to entirely shift from a beta, mostly because you're only seeing a small slice of it. And by the time you hit beta, the game's overall systems are fairly set.

give me back beta focus rifle so i can pin hogs against doors again plz

You're wrong. Reach changed the DMR bullet count, speed, jump height. Just off the top of my head.

Halo 3 beta had visual changes to the bubble shield, hog was nerfed, trip mine nerfed (rip)

Gears 3 beta changed a lot, including layouts of maps.

Halo 3 also made the hills less opaque between beta and final.

They also added an actual throwing animation for equipment between beta and final. In the beta it just popped out of your chest in the first person.

willow ve

feel the burn
in

Sounds sweet. I'm used to my hobbit dwellings though and sitting so close to the screen--doubt I'll ever really use anything beyond a 32" when I get one. For now my 22" monitor pulls double shifts.
Anything over 32" and my gaming takes a serious hit. I would rather sit closer than have a bigger screen. Those are the benefitsfof having a dedicated gaming tv in a home office.

For all other visual entertainment it's 47" minimum.

RIP Halo 3 Carbine

Still maintain that I preferred the weapon sandbox balance of the Reach Beta to the final game. The pretty significant nerfs to pretty much the entire covenant sandbox was a shame.

Magwik

Banned
Should I have any hope for the Halo trilogy being announced for Steam at Gamescom? Surely they want Halo there, and it's too soon I would think for anything Halo Xbox One. Halo 3 PC is a big enough deal for Microsoft to reveal it at an event like that, right?

Gamescom is most likely if anything. They'll probably end up releasing it on Halo 3's Anniversary.

JDHarbs

Anyone know of a Reach fileshare with Reach's unique gametypes?

things like rocket race, 3 plots...
I would've suggested my
failed
TURFS project, but when the file share system changed over it all went to shit. You might be able to track them down through the links in the OP of it though.

FyreWulff

I would've suggested my
failed
TURFS project, but when the file share system changed over it all went to shit. You might be able to track them down through the links in the OP of it though.

I also got some here

http://ftzulu.com/matchmaking/

I noticed I just had to fix it.. all the files were gone on my webserver. That was weird.

edit: damnit.. all the file links are broken
edit2: fixed. looks like they added a new directory level at some point

no shit, I remember Reach Beta was like walking in molasses.

#neverforgetpowerhousejumpfail

I cannot believe that Halo after Halo movement became slower and slower despite the fans universally saying release after relase how much Halo needs faster movement. Not one Bungie Halo was faster than its predecessor, yet people still give them so much credit even though 343 at least made that base gameplay faster and more visceral.

They are both poo.
#CamoPowerup #SaveHalo #ThinkOfTheChildren

Halo 3 carbine got changed due to feedback from the beta. Valhalla was adjusted due to feedback and players breaking the map.

Damn that Beta.. Damn it to hell. Would've been a much better Halo 3 with that Carbine.

RIP Halo 3 Carbine

Still maintain that I preferred the weapon sandbox balance of the Reach Beta to the final game. The pretty significant nerfs to pretty much the entire covenant sandbox was a shame.

Yet another tragedy with a future Halo release.. Bungie certainly wasn't making the best decisions either.

J10

Banned
I cannot believe that Halo after Halo movement became slower and slower despite the fans universally saying release after relase how much Halo needs faster movement. Not one Bungie Halo was faster than its predecessor, yet people still give them so much credit even though 343 at least made that base gameplay faster and more visceral.

Bungie got older and older as they made more Halo games. Maybe they slowed shit down to accommodate for their own dulling reflexes.

So I fully expect Destiny to be turn based by the time it launches.

Competitive gaming is dead. Ranks are removed from Halo.

Meanwhile...

DOTA has 95000 watching on JUST twitch.tv doesnt even count the people watching from DOTA TV. A feature Halo should have added years ago, and was on my Wishlist since H3--->Reach's wishlist.

Also DOTA often has less viewers than LoL.

In the shadows of the current juggernauts...

Halo peaks at 28K for another night.

Congrats. RIP Halo 4. You are dead.

Hire Juices.

Meanwhile...

DOTA has 95000 watching on JUST twitch.tv doesnt even count the people watching from DOTA TV. A feature Halo should have added years ago, and was on my Wishlist since H3--->Reach's wishlist.

Hire Juices.

I find it interesting that Steam is quoted at approx. 50+ million members now and these are current stats from Steam games:

Current Players Peak Today Game

291,932 439,990 Dota 2
36,012 63,990 Team Fortress 2
28,295 48,901 Sid Meier's Civilization V
20,532 43,413 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
17,539 30,995 Garry's Mod
12,941 21,629 Borderlands 2
12,533 33,848 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
10,331 43,792 Football Manager 2013
9,800 31,905 Counter-Strike
9,126 28,426 Counter-Strike: Source

I'm not really arguing about Halo population but just point out DOTA2 is a massive freak, like Halo 2/3 was. I find it interesting to compare 50+Mil Steam members against 45+mil XBL subscribers and the games concurrent populations.

When you quote Dota 2 you're quoting a current king of online play. However when you look at TF2 it's pulling double the Halo 4 concurrent users daily. I wonder how the metrics gathering techniques would effect such analysis though. It's freaking impossible to get direct comparable statistics.

What's the grand prize for the Dota 2 tournament. Is it equal to or greater than $500,000?!

Last I heard it was approx. 2.5+Mil.

Enfinit

TF2's the only FPS I've played on a consistent basis since 2007. Not a single Halo game can/will overtake that spot. And TF2's virtually remained unchanged for the past six years (game-mechanics wise).

IHaveIce

Banned

Meanwhile...

Hire Juices.
But you forget that MOBAs are way more popular nowadays, even with a streaming service it wouldn't reach tzese numbers

Madness

Forget all other metrics, services or games. Stick to Xbox Live. Halo 4 is the 8th most played game on Live. And while you could say early on, it's only 2nd, it's only 3rd, it's now like 8th and dropping and it's only been around 9 months since launch.

There is a reason 11+ million people played Halo 4 and yet, it barely cracks more than 25k people at a time. Once East Coast sleeps, the game is all but dead, going down as low as 6000 people worldwide.

Why is the fan base not playing Halo 4? Why are more people playing two CoD's, Battlefield 3 over Halo 4?

Forget all other metrics, services or games. Stick to Xbox Live. Halo 4 is the 8th most played game on Live. And while you could say early on, it's only 2nd, it's only 3rd, it's now like 8th and dropping and it's only been around 9 months since launch.

There is a reason 11+ million people played Halo 4 and yet, it barely cracks more than 25k people at a time. Once East Coast sleeps, the game is all but dead, going down as low as 6000 people worldwide.

Why is the fan base not playing Halo 4? Why are more people playing two CoD's, Battlefield 3 over Halo 4?

Because Halo 4 is some other thing. It ain't the Halo that all those people wanted to play. CoD and Battlefield are better games that cater to their own fanbases respectfully. Halo 4 hasn't. Change for the sake of it. Probably one of the biggest bait and switches of the series. I'm an idealist, so I have faith that people at 343 will have learned with the next title and get Halo back to being Halo again, but I can't be excited about it. Maybe Destiny will scratch that itch in the mean time.

Omni

Will be interesting to see what happens next year, considering that both Destiny and Halo are expected to launch around the same time.

monome

a few Halo thoughts.

First, I don't think Destiny will make or break Halo sales.
Halo 4 still did huge numbers even though late in the cycle and with both COD and Battlefield having hit their strides already a few years ago.

Still, Halo 2014 will emerge facing Destiny, COD, Battlefield and to an unknown extent Titanfall.

So no need to be Pachter to see Halo MP is not gonna do great.

that said. 343i is fully owned. People like Halo. So Halo 2014 will make money. Which is its reason to be, IMO. and releasing it to celebrate X1 first anniversary is a good business move.

As regards to the enjoyment Halo 2014 will procure...well for one thing X1 will provide an overall better gaming experience :
fast launch
easier MP set up ( improved waypoint, improved Live etc...)
easier couch gaming (kinect swaps profiles on the go)
dedis
etc...

so not even having played its MP, it's bound to be better.

as regards to MP content. it's up to 343i to keep growing options or reducing them.
their choice, their burden.

I, for one, would not wish to work at 343i MP department right now. it's the department which has the most to lose next-gen if they don't come up with the next big thing.

regarding SP, I think Halo still has legs. 12/14hrs of "good-old" gameplay with next-gen graphics will sell itself. story-wise...it can't be worse. really, it can't.
Halo 4 was not a total failure. but its story was. utterly.
but Halo being a game, I didn't even really mind although I buy every comics/books.
343i only needs to sell me a better ovarall story and characters and I'm game. and I'm kinda picky as I dig the lore. so I believe the "masses" will apreciate it even more if they are pleasantly surpirsed by a good story.

Destiny will offer an alternative, but we're millions of gamers who can enjoy both games stories. and pay for both games, happily so.

so, in conclusion, I'm happy to let 343i try and hit its stride.
they've put up but one game so far.

and being a fully owned MS studio, they will come up with great tech support all through X1 lifecycle.

with rumors of VR glasses, and a potentially effective Kinect and smartgalss implementation. there is room for innovation and truly bringing Halo to higher skies.

until then 60€ for halo in 2014. yeah. just fucking bring it 343i. my rumbling X1 controller will be waiting.

Fuchsdh

Or as my friends and I call it,"Matt Damon in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!"

Yeah I hope it's better than the "turn everyone into Unreal gibs" action District 9 turned into for the back half.

Halo 3: Pretty Much Just The Carbine

Although it wasn't startable, so it wouldn't have been in all of MM.

Also..
the Jackals would have had that Carbine too :eek:

That's my only issue with the Halo 4 needler--it's just far too effective against you in campaign when there are multiple Grunts that could be firing at you. Love it in multiplayer, although I think with the automatic rebalance it's slightly weaker.

willow ve

That's my only issue with the Halo 4 needler--it's just far too effective against you in campaign when there are multiple Grunts that could be firing at you. Love it in multiplayer, although I think with the automatic rebalance it's slightly weaker.
Needler is my trolling weapon of choice at LAN parties. Pink mist of death. Wish it had more ammo in 4.

willow ve

So they are including a headset after all. Console looks great, but there's no way that thing isn't going to be smudged to high heaven. How did Sony and Microsoft both not learn from last gen on this? The inevitable Slim will probably look way better.

I kind of miss the 3D Xbox logo. Damn you Windows 8 aesthetic.
They throw in an HDMI cable too.

Mix

So they are including a headset after all. Console looks great, but there's no way that thing isn't going to be smudged to high heaven. How did Sony and Microsoft both not learn from last gen on this? The inevitable Slim will probably look way better.

I kind of miss the 3D Xbox logo. Damn you Windows 8 aesthetic.

lol, See, I like the new cleaner white and green logo. I don't know why, I thought I'd hate it with how much I hate windows 8, but I think it's prettier.
They throw in an HDMI cable too.
unfortunately, it's HDMI ONLY. No more standard definition on your xbox :/

Top Bottom