• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

Eh? What is this?

Scuttlebutt. I'm not entirely convinced, but it's a possibility, and if you were releasing a trio of titles on PC a single standalone multiplayer mode would make sense.

If they did it right, it would be an excellent opportunity to give fans a catered and customizable Halo experience so they could choose what style of Halo they wanted. We will see.

Gui_PT

what happened? unsurprisingly, i'm still at work

Game 5. It was 2-2, winner of this match would move on and they realized they got the time settings wrong as soon as the game ended so they have to repeat the whole thing.

Edit: The team that won the original 5th match lost the replay. That has to sting.

If you believe my sources, Halo CEA, Halo 2 and Halo 3 with a F2P multiplayer on PC.

I just don't see it happening mate. New console this year and new Halo/Azure/XBL servers signals to me NO Halo on PC. Why would they invest all this and then give PC sales on games only? Thus giving platforms like Steam their exclusive gamer base.

Think about it, this would mean no console sales, no recurring XBL gold sales, no accessory sales, no other games sales from console install base and no value add sales for movies/music.

I'd love the Halo PC editor portion but realistically I think Halo PC is the stuff of dreams turned nightmares. Seriously no Halo FPS on PC since 2 vista? NotHappening.gif

I just don't see it happening mate. New console this year and new Halo and new Azure/XBL servers next signals to me no Halo on PC. Why would they invest all this and then give PC sales on games only?

Think about it, this would mean no console sales, no XBL gold sales, no accessory sales, no other games sames from console install base and no value add sales for movies/music.

I'd love the PC editor portion but realistically I think Halo PC is the stuff of dreams turned nightmares. Seriously no Halo FPS on PC since 2 vista? NotHappening.gif

Just because it has been a while doesn't mean they wont put it on pc.

Madness

Just because it has been a while doesn't mean they wont put it on pc.

They won't. They just can't monetize on PC unless it's Windows 8 exclusive, running some new fangled scheme. They didn't do it when Halo was top dog and at the height of its popularity, they won't do it now I think. Especially after seeing what a failure Spartan Assault was.

Hell they had the perfect opportunity with CEA. They could've released it for PC with the untouched multiplayer, and you would have had a LOT of PC'ers buy it, not only to try the new visually updated campaign but it would've breathed second wind into the OG multiplayer. But nope.

Halo for Xbox One next year, maybe a H2 Anniversary release, that's about it I think.

GrizzNKev

Banned
They won't. They just can't monetize on PC unless it's Windows 8 exclusive, running some new fangled scheme. They didn't do it when Halo was top dog and at the height of its popularity, they won't do it now I think. Especially after seeing what a failure Spartan Assault was.

Hell they had the perfect opportunity with CEA. They could've released it for PC with the untouched multiplayer, and you would have had a LOT of PC'ers buy it, not only to try the new visually updated campaign but it would've breathed second wind into the OG multiplayer. But nope.

Halo for Xbox One next year, maybe a H2 Anniversary release, that's about it I think.

Spartan Assault was a failure because it's riding on the worst received Halo game starring the worst Halo character of all time with microtransaction bullshit and blah blah blah. It was DOA regardless of platform and you know it.

I wonder if people'll complain if H2A's campaign sucks because it uses a new engine even though things were meticulously done pixel-by-pixel to be accurate. A 10-year-old campaign featuring linear setpieces done in six months' time is definitely 343's fault and not Bungie's.

inb4 "halo 4's campaign fits that description"

Spartan Assault was considered a failure? I want to see a source stating so. I imagine it sold pretty damn well for the budget, and considering majority of Windows Phone users can't download it yet (Verizon timed exclusive for the lose?).

willow ve

Why would they put Halo 1, 2, 3 on Steam when it can be a digital only game on Xbox One to push both the platform and the distribution method?

KT43MSY.gif

I'm also working on Rocket Race and Rocket Hog Race ;)

Fuchsdh

Spartan Assault was considered a failure? I want to see a source stating so. I imagine it sold pretty damn well for the budget, and considering majority of Windows Phone users can't download it yet (Verizon timed exclusive for the lose?).

Yeah we haven't heard anything about Spartan Assault. If it hasn't sold a lot yet that's understandable given that the Verizon exclusivity is still in effect for a few more days.

Some decent ads for it are all over the WCS and The International streams so they're certainly marketing it.

Of course they would. They did it for the money and Halo now isn't nearly as good since Halo 3. When I thought about the National & Worldwide Tournament idea it was to hope that 343 would take advantage in upping their Online Population numbers and extending time to polish the game even further to keep those players back with Halo, but if the game itself hasnt improved to appeal the competitive players then they'll only do it for the cash prize and then leave.

Yeah we haven't heard anything about Spartan Assault. If it hasn't sold a lot yet that's understandable given that the Verizon exclusivity is still in effect for a few more days.

Some decent ads for it are all over the WCS and The International streams so they're certainly marketing it.

Remember it is only Verizon exclusive on Windows Phone 8, not Windows 8, which probably has more users, anyway. Even then, it has no exclusives in any other country. I got it fine on both W8 and WP8 in Canada.

Of course they would. They did it for the money and Halo now isn't nearly as good since Halo 3. When I thought about the National & Worldwide Tournament idea it was to hope that 343 would take advantage in upping their Online Population numbers and extending time to polish the game even further to keep those players back with Halo, but if the game itself hasnt improved to appeal the competitive players then they'll only do it for the cash prize and then leave.

Makes sense, to be honest. Halo 4 just isn't made for competitive gaming like CoD, LoL, or DotA 2. It's kinda sad, just look at that ridiculous audience for TI3 on Twitch. It's insane. Halo could do that if they took competitive seriously. Hopefully 343 does in the future, it's one of the best games for that.

Madness

Come on, it was poorly reviewed. 74% metacritic. Plus it barely even had many sites even mention it released or reviewed. I think IGN, Eurogamer, Destructoid, PC Gamer were like the only main ones to review it.

We're all Halo fans here, how many of you bought it. Im waiting for the XBLA release myself, and I don't know a single friend in real life who bought it.

Not trying to be salty, it's probably fun as hell but it was DoA simply because of the way they released it, no Windows 7, no Steam, iOS/Android or perhaps the most important XBLA.

I'll eat crow, but I'll venture to say it was below 50k sales worldwide. Do you have any numbers Frank?

Come on, it was poorly reviewed. 74% metacritic. Plus it barely even had many sites even mention it released or reviewed. I think IGN, Eurogamer, Destructoid, PC Gamer were like the only main ones to review it.

We're all Halo fans here, how many of you bought it. Im waiting for the XBLA release myself, and I don't know a single friend in real life who bought it.

Not trying to be salty, it's probably fun as hell but it was DoA simply because of the way they released it, no Windows 7, no Steam, iOS/Android or perhaps the most important XBLA.

I'll eat crow, but I'll venture to say it was below 50k sales worldwide. Do you have any numbers Frank?

I bought it. I actually think it's pretty fun, but the price is so wrong for any large number adoption, same thing for the platform exclusivity, same thing for the microtransaction system. That's my opinion anyway.

--

Watching TI3, I have no idea what anyone is talking about. DotA makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Nebula

I have no idea why Microsoft still thinks Halo can sell other products, like how Halo 3 sold possibly millions of Xbox and 360 consoles. It's like they don't even know their flagship is burning around them.

CyReN

Would buy for iOS, W7, or XBLA or basically the most common places for people to play games on.

Fuchsdh

I bought it. I actually think it's pretty fun, but the price is so wrong for any large number adoption, same thing for the platform exclusivity, same thing for the microtransaction system. That's my opinion anyway.

--

Watching TI3, I have no idea what anyone is talking about. DotA makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I'm impressed with the professionalism of it, really. It's the first tourney I've watched where everyone has done a good job and the people in between matches evaluating things don't make me want to tear my hair out.

Looking at it and trying to distance myself from knowing how the game works, I think it functions well in that you can tell when to get excited, but there's so many particles and pizazz in DotA 2 even I can't really tell what's going on in the full-scale battles.

More people have Windows 8 than Xbox 360's.

Spartan Assault was a small scale production to make a touch-based game with the Halo brand. It was probably quite cheap, with a small dev team and probably not lengthy dev timetable. Game's probably done/doing fine.

Fuchsdh

Spartan Assault was a small scale production to make a touch-based game with the Halo brand. It was probably quite cheap, with a small dev team and probably not lengthy dev timetable. Game's probably done/doing fine.

Not to mention there's plenty of time to milk sales on more common platforms later on.

I hope you don't bring back the armouries that Spartans seemed to get every 3rd phase, on every map where Spartans are on defence.

Invasion is the single most map-dependent gametype I think Halo's ever seen. Third phase was simply too easy to be a shooting gallery if you didn't design it well. Getting mowed down after carrying the objective three feet closer was not fun.

Not to mention there's plenty of time to milk sales on more common platforms later on.

Yup. Spartan Assault is doing just fine, or at least I think so. They've probably made a TON of money from it. Game is the top purchased App on the Windows Store (with 500+ reviews), at $6.99, that's a pretty penny. They probably made some money from the Verizon deal, and with how small scale the project was and how small the team is, the budget was probably low as heck.

If worse comes to worse, game fails at selling gamers on Windows Phone and Windows 8, they'll release the game on the App Store and Google Play, and make a large sum of cash from it.

Just have Spartans fight "Contras," or Insurrectionist troops that use a mix of jacked Spartan tech and contraband Covenant gear. So, y'know, they get Covvie weapons but aren't huge-ass targets.

Nebula

Yup. Spartan Assault is doing just fine, or at least I think so. They've probably made a TON of money from it. Game is the top purchased App on the Windows Store (with 500+ reviews), at $6.99, that's a pretty penny. They probably made some money from the Verizon deal, and with how small scale the project was and how small the team is, the budget was probably low as heck.

If worse comes to worse, game fails at selling gamers on Windows Phone and Windows 8, they'll release the game on the App Store and Google Play, and make a large sum of cash from it.

Dat Ampharos avatar :O

I can definitely see it coming up on other stores down the line. There's simply way to much money to made off of them to pass it up. I can see it releasing on those stores at a lower price as well, which should definitely rake money in.

I've seen it get some good feedback and I'd like to play it at some point. I guess I'll see if I can pick it up later when it drops in price and releases on other stores. Oh and when I get a device that can play it.

Ghazi

They're going back because, in some fucked up fashion, CoD is more viable for competitive play. Personally I can barely stand the game, but I can see why people play it in the competitive crowd.

Booshka

Formal is a beat a CS:GO on PC, was watching him play it on his Stream the other day. Had no idea he was that good at it. AWPin' fools like mad.

DeadNames

Banned
They're going back because, in some fucked up fashion, CoD is more viable for competitive play. Personally I can barely stand the game, but I can see why people play it in the competitive crowd.

I don't. It has shallow gameplay of running around and catching people off guard. No strafing... No power weapon control.... Very little metagame to cod.

It may be fun for a few matches casually... But competitively? Might as well consider Mario kart a high skill cap racer.

Enfinit

I don't. It has shallow gameplay of running around and catching people off guard. No strafing... No power weapon control.... Very little metagame to cod.

It may be fun for a few matches casually... But competitively? Might as well consider Mario kart a high skill cap racer.

Other than Halo, there really hasn't been another FPS that's really caught my attention. CoD, Battlefield, and CS just don't seem to have the same amount of skill and strategy in a game that I'm used to seeing with Halo 1-3.

However, lately I've been randomly watching some competitive TF2, which is apparently popular in Europe. To me, that's the only other FPS that even comes near the same amount to skill, strategy, and entertainment I'm used to getting with the old Halo's.

Not to say that there's not any other FPS that isn't on the same level, but competitive TF2 is pretty damn exciting to watch if you know what's happening. Only problem is it's not popular in America. Like, at all.

wwm0nkey

God damn Halo CE is a blast to play still. Also love how Pro is AR and pistol starts but the AR is only there for a clean up incase you fuck up your pistol shots and is not really viable for much else when everyone has pistols.

Booshka

God damn Halo CE is a blast to play still. Also love how Pro is AR and pistol starts but the AR is only there for a clean up incase you fuck up your pistol shots and is not really viable for much else when everyone has pistols.

AR is the best weapon for quick camo and double melees as well. It's also pretty good to spray people down every so often, just be sure to throw a crouch in real quick while you rush someone down so you don't get 3 or 4 shotted as much.

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh I didn't notice PAX was in 18 days. Gamescom is next week too.

Anything Halo related slated for either, Frankie?
Probably only the tournaments.

I think some of you need to watch some competitive CoD. It's really intense and skilled in high level matches.
Well while I agree I loved to watch the last MLG finals of CoD because it was sick but in the end competive COD is just a wanna be counterstrike with a smaller skill gap and killing streaks

AR is the best weapon for quick camo and double melees as well. It's also pretty good to spray people down every so often, just be sure to throw a crouch in real quick while you rush someone down so you don't get 3 or 4 shotted as much.

Look at how the little glitches drastically changed the meta game into actually requiring you to drop the best all around weapon in the game so you can turn invisible faster when you pick up the Rockets
long sentence breh
. This widens the skill gap and provides the game with a much needed competitive edge that's both flashy and rewarding. Also, it provides more specific use for weapons which is something they've always wanted to achieve.

They should allow some button combos like that and backpack reloading, then make a tutorial in the settings. Plenty of games do those "advanced tips and tutorials" section that details how to pull off certain moves, all in the menus. Of course, they would first have to make Camo a Powerup again..

wwm0nkey

Still seriously suggesting we all just play Custom Edition, while the normal CE has a lot more regular games there are still some normal ones on custom edition and we can make servers.....also Opensource instant download and widescreen support is niceeeeeeee

Top Bottom