• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Ghazi

tbh if the new Kinect is as good as they claim it to be and doesn't have that much input delay I personally wouldn't mind screwing around with it. The more good news that comes from MS's mouth the better, I really, really want to get a One and so far they've been making me happy.

Really, the always online thing was the most bothersome part for me because I take my Xbox to offline places a lot, LAN parties, I wanted one to mail back home to my family because they're fascinated with these things.

GG MS!

E: Yeah, I'd actually really like the price to be $399, $500 is a little out of my price range as I don't make any income right now but I'd jump on the thing the moment it hit $399 or below!

You know, I was thinking today about the new Halo and Xbox One. I'd love to be able to try it out, but let's say I primarily want to play on my portable gaming environment (which I've been doing lately). What the hell am supposed to do with the Kinect? Drag it around everywhere even though I won't be using it? What a hassle. What kind of ridiculousness is it when I can't even play my games console without a camera/microphone accessory attached? I feel like people who are accepting of this kind of bullshit aren't really thinking about it from many angles.

Fuchsdh

Yeah Kinect basically had to be in ever SKU otherwise there was no chance developers would ever take a real chance on it.

I know people were flaming IGN for these AMAs, but they've been successful in my eyes for asking straight questions and getting straight answers. Kinect doesn't have to be connected for non-Kinect features, et al...

Also, uncompressed 16-bit audio @24Khz will be a godsend for chat, especially when people are talking over each other and it turns into a mess of Charlie Brown adult sounds.

You know, I was thinking today about the new Halo and Xbox One. I'd love to be able to try it out, but let's say I primarily want to play on my portable gaming environment (which I've been doing lately). What the hell am supposed to do with the Kinect? Drag it around everywhere even though I won't be using it? What a hassle. What kind of ridiculousness is it when I can't even play my games console without a camera/microphone accessory attached? I feel like people who are accepting of this kind of bullshit aren't really thinking about it from many angles.

See the above.

I know people were flaming IGN for these AMAs, but they've been successful in my eyes for asking straight questions and getting straight answers. Kinect doesn't have to be connected for non-Kinect features, et al...
Everything I've read or heard up until this point suggested that the Kinect must be physically plugged into the console in order for it to function. When did that change?

I'm glad they're putting the Kinect in every box. Hopefully they never make a SKU without one IMO. Now if they just dropped the price by ~$50..

Most people would be glad to pay for it if they actually saw something innovative in a game coming out of it. Right now, its better, faster, more precise, and all we see is hand movements to go through menus and voice commands. Of course people are pissed at the price!

Show people a game where you are a detective and the only way to ask questions to the IG characters is by actually talking to the games characters. Have the game then read your facial expression, heart rate, and have the character react to you taking that info into account. If you're nervous, he'll act all though with you and try to intimidate you. Etc...

You have that, and people will be lining up to preorder this xbox till next year.

But what do they show? "Xbox, go home". People arent impressed by that? Im stunned.

Most people would be glad to pay for it if they actually saw something innovative in a game coming out of it. Right now, its better, faster, more precise, and all we see is hand movements to go through menus and voice commands. Of course people are pissed at the price!

Show people a game where you are a detective and the only way to ask questions to the IG characters is by actually talking to the games characters. Have the game then read your facial expression, heart rate, and have the character react to you taking that info into account. If you're nervous, he'll act all though with you and try to intimidate you. Etc...

You have that, and people will be lining up to preorder this xbox till next year.

But what do they show? "Xbox, go home". People arent impressed by that? Im stunned.

They can't show things that haven't been created yet. By including a Kinect with every Xbox means that developers are much more likely to utilize the features to create what you list above.

They can't show things that haven't been created yet. By including a Kinect with every Xbox means that developers are much more likely to utilize the features to create what you list above.

Probably, but the box is 100$ more right now, and if people don't buy it at launch, you can kiss kinect and those features goodbye in the future bundles.

You have to show its potential now, not in a year from now.

Fuchsdh

Everything I've read or heard up until this point suggested that the Kinect must be physically plugged into the console in order for it to function. When did that change?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

Since Kinect must be plugged in for the Xbox One to function, what happens if your Kinect breaks? Like if it falls off the top of your TV onto a hardwood floor or something? Will the console cease to function?

WHITTEN: Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in. It makes gaming better in many ways – from the ability to say “Xbox On” and get right to your personalized homescreen, to the ability to control your TV through voice, Smartglass and more. Kinect allows you to search for your content, instantly move between games and your personalized dash and more with just your voice. Kinect helps you pick up and play by automatically knowing which controller you have in your hands. No more need to interrupt your friends game or navigate through multiple UI screens to sign in and tell the system which controller you are holding. It will even bind the controller to the console if its currently unbound – no searching for special buttons! Of course – these are just a few of the system wide benefits of having Kinect. Games use Kinect in a variety of amazing ways from adding voice to control your squad mates to adding lean and other simple controls beyond the controller to full immersive gameplay. That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

That's actually great news. Now all they have to do is sell me a SKU without it. $400 seems fair.

Trust Us™.

They owe it to their customers to provide an option without Kinect. Until then, we (who have no desire to have the device) owe it to ourselves to not buy the Xbox One.

Sure they will. Like the awesome Halo Anniversary implementation.

On the 360.

76 million 360's sold, 24 million Kinect's sold. That's a little more than 30% of users having a sensor. Makes sense that Kinect features don't exactly take development precedence when 70% of your potential user base won't be able to use it.

It's important for the platform to not repeat that situation or you'll get the same kind of implementations that CE Anniversary got because it simply doesn't make development sense to spend so much time and resources on an essential feature that 70% of your users won't be able to experience.

Risen

That's actually great news. Now all they have to do is sell me a SKU without it. $400 seems fair.

Trust Us™.

They owe it to their customers to provide an option without Kinect. Until then, we (who have no desire to have the device) owe it to ourselves to not buy the Xbox One.

I am positive they will offer this in 2014.

Fuchsdh

Trust Us™.

They don't owe anyone anything. You certainly have the right to not buy it, but they're not obligated to offer you your chosen SKU.

It's a chicken-or-the-egg situation: if you don't provide Kinect in every box, then developers won't code for it. If you don't have a killer app for Kinect, then no one would want to pick it up so developers won't code for it which means you don't get killer apps.

I am positive they will offer this in 2014.

That would be a complete waste of forcing people to buy it now for the next year. If anything, drop the price 50$ on the One, but keep Kinect in. Id much rather have it there so that devs try to innovate with it knowing everyone has one then to just have it as it is now on 360 with just a bunch of dancing games.

Booshka

If MS First Party studios can implement Kinect functionality that makes their games more intuitive, fun and unique, then maybe there will be some genuine interest in it. Most multi-platform games will still view Kinect functionality as a throw-away because they have to develop for PS4 and PC without that feature. So, why waste a bunch of time on it.

I'm not sold on Kinect, and so I'm not happy about having to pay for it. Overall it's probably best that there is one SKU with Kinect included. But, like a lot of stuff surrounding Xbox One, and their First Party games, still a lot to be proven.

At this point I am most interested to see what Black Tusk Studios is up to, and hope that they will release their games on PC as well, even if they are timed XB1 exclusives.

heckfu

Banned
I don't need all the RAM in the standard Xbox 1. If they could sell one with about 2 gigs less then I'll buy it so it'll lower the price.

Unrelated, but I'd like to share this.

You guys gave me a lot of great reactions to some music I posted earlier in this thread. I just released my first album ever. Twenty tracks of cinematic electronic and orchestral music. Best of all, it's free! I thought you guys might like it.

http://steven-mcdonald.bandcamp.com/

But anway, now so I can fit in with the thread:

Halo sux! =)

You guys gave me a lot of great reactions to some music I posted earlier in this thread. I just released my first album ever. Twenty tracks of cinematic electronic and orchestral music. Best of all, it's free! I thought you guys might like it.

Halo sux! =)

No Legend or Floor It in the tracklisting? 2/10

kidding. Loving it so far! I should have an album out myself around the end of the month.

Ghazi

Halo sux! =)

Not enough "Let the bodies Hit The Floor" can't use this in my montage...

Halo sux! =)
Huh, well, honestly, I clicked the link not expecting to listen for very long...
Fifteen minutes later I'm still listening and impressed, great job! :)

Booshka

Halo sux! =)

Bought thanks for the heads up.
Reminds me a little bit of the music my Uncle makes, he's a Keyboardist and makes a lot of avant-garde compositions.
And yea Halo does suck

Risen

Almost 9k viewers for a pro league play CoD stream.

Halo cannot pull this anymore.

With the casting features built in, tournaments have actually become watchable. Being able to see a first person perspective, along with a map view of what everyone is doing, along with knowing who is on what streak makes a huge difference for watching the game.

CyReN

With the casting features built in, tournaments have actually become watchable. Being able to see a first person perspective, along with a map view of what everyone is doing, along with knowing who is on what streak makes a huge difference for watching the game.

This for sure, watched a lot of BO2 this weekend over Halo. Spectator mode made it incredible, along with the top tier teams playing. Even Gandhi and Maven (well known Halo casters) are thinking of trying the game out now after seeing UMG Atlanta at AGL.

I fear the next year for competitive Halo, trust me I'm grateful for this VG tourney happening next month but it should have been spread out. Halo 4 can't compete with Ghosts, Black Ops II, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, and possibly Destiny before the release of Halo 5. If people thought waiting for Halo 4 drop was slow, I can't imagine this.

This for sure, watched a lot of BO2 this weekend over Halo. Spectator mode made it incredible, along with the top tier teams playing. Even Gandhi and Maven (well known Halo casters) are thinking of trying the game out now after seeing UMG Atlanta at AGL.

I fear the next year for competitive Halo, trust me I'm grateful for this VG tourney happening next month but it should have been spread out. Halo 4 can't compete with Ghosts, Black Ops II, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, and possibly Destiny before the release of Halo 5.

Halo 4 is dead right now, what do you mean compete with those titles lol.

No Legend or Floor It in the tracklisting? 2/10

kidding. Loving it so far! I should have an album out myself around the end of the month.

I may put up the ones that didn't make the album as singles eventually. It's could end up being a bit of a hassle, but I still want to do it!

And thanks!

Not enough "Let the bodies Hit The Floor" can't use this in my montage...

Thank you! Maybe I'll do an orchestral cover...

Huh, well, honestly, I clicked the link not expecting to listen for very long...
Fifteen minutes later I'm still listening and impressed, great job! :)

Glad it grabbed your attention and held onto it! Thanks!

Bought thanks for the heads up.
Reminds me a little bit of the music my Uncle makes, he's a Keyboardist and makes a lot of avant-garde compositions.
And yea Halo does suck

Thanks for buying it! I still have never looked up what "avant-garde" means...

Yes, I shall enjoy this.

I hope you do!

Very nice. What program(s) do you use?

Thanks! I use Acoustica Mixcraft 6 to sequence it all, and within Mixcraft I use mainly Kontakt 5 and a few libraries for it (mainly LA Scoring Strings) and EastWest Symphonic Orchestra. Those heavy hitters along with tons of free synths.

The new DLC for Halo 4 looks pretty awesome, but I probably won't get it. We have been promised one too many times that DLC would be properly integrated in matchmaking playlists to actually show up. I got burned with the season pass badly. While I had no issue getting Crimson maps to show up in MM back when they came out, I have literally NEVER had any of the other maps show up outside of the DLC playlists.

It's really sad too, this might be the first DLC for any Halo game that I have not picked up. I hope Halo gets well soon :(

Fuchsdh

The new DLC for Halo 4 looks pretty awesome, but I probably won't get it. We have been promised one too many times that DLC would be properly integrated in matchmaking playlists to actually show up. I got burned with the season pass badly. While I had no issue getting Crimson maps to show up in MM back when they came out, I have literally NEVER had any of the other maps show up outside of the DLC playlists.

It's really sad too, this might be the first DLC for any Halo game that I have not picked up. I hope Halo gets well soon :(

I personally see Halo 4 DLC a lot more often then I ever saw Halo 3 or Reach. I think it's entirely possible, especially with the season pass, that the DLC matching is much better than in previous games, but the lower player counts negate that advantage.

FyreWulff

My hit rate on Defiant was so bad, I intentionally went into the DLC playlist in Reach and the last time I had played Highlands in matchmaking is still current on Bungie.net

The situation ain't gonna change until MS aggressively pursues adoption rate instead of getting a few more dollars.

Top Bottom