• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Madness

This for sure, watched a lot of BO2 this weekend over Halo. Spectator mode made it incredible, along with the top tier teams playing. Even Gandhi and Maven (well known Halo casters) are thinking of trying the game out now after seeing UMG Atlanta at AGL.

I fear the next year for competitive Halo, trust me I'm grateful for this VG tourney happening next month but it should have been spread out. Halo 4 can't compete with Ghosts, Black Ops II, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, and possibly Destiny before the release of Halo 5. If people thought waiting for Halo 4 drop was slow, I can't imagine this.

Halo 2 Anniversary with the untouched multiplayer but with slight enhancements, 60 FPS, dedicated servers, and that new twitch streaming integration. That would be amazing.

Defect

Unrelated, but I'd like to share this.

You guys gave me a lot of great reactions to some music I posted earlier in this thread. I just released my first album ever. Twenty tracks of cinematic electronic and orchestral music. Best of all, it's free! I thought you guys might like it.

http://steven-mcdonald.bandcamp.com/

But anway, now so I can fit in with the thread:

Halo sux! =)

I think I know you from YouTube. Kash117 right? You have awesome music.

The new DLC for Halo 4 looks pretty awesome, but I probably won't get it. We have been promised one too many times that DLC would be properly integrated in matchmaking playlists to actually show up. I got burned with the season pass badly. While I had no issue getting Crimson maps to show up in MM back when they came out, I have literally NEVER had any of the other maps show up outside of the DLC playlists.

It's really sad too, this might be the first DLC for any Halo game that I have not picked up. I hope Halo gets well soon :(

Halo 4 is by far the worst Halo at DLC integration in Matchmaking.

I really want to buy the DLC and give it a try but my XBL will expire soon and the DLC release is in november i think.

The DLC comes out in eight days.

One day after my XBL dies, damn.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd consider returning to team Xbox if they did that. (Emphasis on consider.) The controller is dead sexy.
The controller is seriously one of the biggest selling points for me. That, Titanfall, and the potential (however small) of a return to form for the next Halo game. Oh yeah, and Twitch integration.

Mix

At the risk of going Hardcore teamSLRP, The Xbox One controller looks god-tier. That and the newly announced functionality without the Kinect and Microsoft has resold their brand to this hardcore loyal fan...
Who the fuck am I kidding? I'm TeamSLRP all fuckin' DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Halo is mom

TheOddOne

The controller is seriously one of the biggest selling points for me. That, Titanfall, and the potential (however small) of a return to form for the next Halo game. Oh yeah, and Twitch integration.
jGIcPZU8xArps.jpg

Booshka

Hope the Xbox One Controller works with PCs as well as the 360 controller does now, it is a good looking controller, with a decent Dpad this time around.

Purplemage

Neo Member
I've got an interesting controller related issue guys. My girlfriend only has a right hand but has the ability to use the control stick on the left with her left arm. The problem is that she can't reach the left side bumper or the left trigger, which are pretty important in Halo from what I've gathered.

Are there any plastic hook ons that would allow the left trigger/left bumper to some how extend over to the right side so she could use them? Or any sort of off branded controller that could help with this?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hope the Xbox One Controller works with PCs as well as the 360 controller does now, it is a good looking controller, with a decent Dpad this time around.
At launch it won't, MS says sometime in 2014.
Isn't it now possible for ms to sell a system without kinect or would that be too much of a financial risk?
It's possible. I think there's a chance there will be a Kinect-less bundle at launch, if not there then definitely within the first year. Try to build up the install base of Kinect as fast as possible to convince devs to develop unique titles with it in mind.

Madness

I don't think they'll do a Kinect less SKU. It would be like a death sentence for the Kinect 2.0

I think they only announced we could turn it off or play without it because of the ongoing NSA scandal and Microsoft being complicit in sharing files/info.

There's too much involved with Kinect, not only from a future standpoint, but all the data mining. Motion control, facial recognition, virtual reality, it's all the future. Microsoft is testing a shit load of new services with this Kinect 2.0 not only for gaming, but like controlling the UI, games, etc.

I hate Kinect, never bought it, I think it's a gimmick, but it could work, only if it's forced on everyone. If people are allowed to play or buy without one, they will no?

FyreWulff

Is such a thing even possible?

The resident MS shill account says they aren't going to sell it separately because they don't want a split install base.

OK, so we can't chat across systems. But can I at least see what my friends are doing on either console?
WHITTEN: Yes – you see your friends on both systems, including their rich presence. My friends that are still on Xbox 360, for example, might see that I’m on Xbox One, playing Ryse. Since I can have more than 100 friends on Xbox One, if I go back to Xbox 360 and I have more than 100 friends, it will only show me the subset of my friends who are friends with me on Xbox 360.

Microsoft finally discovered the LIMIT parameter of SQL

Omni

Decided to hop onto ODST tonight.

dat ODST drop at the beginning. So good. Would be pretty cool to experience something similar in Halo 5.

IHaveIce

Banned
I personally see Halo 4 DLC a lot more often then I ever saw Halo 3 or Reach. I think it's entirely possible, especially with the season pass, that the DLC matching is much better than in previous games, but the lower player counts negate that advantage.
More often than in Reach? For sure, more often than halo 3? No maybe because they were free, but I played a ton of games on foundry, rats nest, standoff, avalanche and sandbox. Sadly the last maps weren't played that often.

HEretic and citadel <3

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to hop onto ODST tonight.

dat ODST drop at the beginning. So good. Would be pretty cool to experience something similar in Halo 5.
Such an awesome scene. I was pretty spellbound when I first experienced it.

Madness

Anyone just going to be PC/Current gen only for this upcoming year? The more I think about it, most games I want I can get for current gen, or I can build a PC, nothing top of the line, but like $500 or so, and supposedly get better quality than the consoles at launch.

Someone on gaming side said it's the first time PC has beaten console at launch on a price and performance basis. Meaning you couldn't build a better computer than what x360 gave you in 2005 for that price. But now, you can easily build a $400 PC and theoretically have more power than what PS4 gives.

Apparently GTA V was somewhat unofficially confirmed by Nvidia as well. Aside from Destiny, pretty much anything I want will be on PC too. Anyone else thinking this way? If Halo 5 proves to be a winner, I'd pick up the Xbone then.

Booshka

Anyone just going to be PC/Current gen only for this upcoming year? The more I think about it, most games I want I can get for current gen, or I can build a PC, nothing top of the line, but like $500 or so, and supposedly get better quality than the consoles at launch.

Someone on gaming side said it's the first time PC has beaten console at launch on a price and performance basis. Meaning you couldn't build a better computer than what x360 gave you in 2005 for that price. But now, you can easily build a $400 PC and theoretically have more power than what PS4 gives.

Apparently GTA V was somewhat unofficially confirmed by Nvidia as well. Aside from Destiny, pretty much anything I want will be on PC too. Anyone else thinking this way? If Halo 5 proves to be a winner, I'd pick up the Xbone then.

Already there, built a gaming PC about 9 months ago, sticking with that and current gen for at least another year. Plan on gaming mostly on my PC indefinitely.

wwm0nkey

My plan so far is to get the PS4, might upgrade to the Vita bundle if confirmed (to give the Vita as a gift) and get BF4 and other multi-platform titles on there for awhile and then upgrade my GPU in my PC after the next "Crysis" is out for a year so I have a card that can run it well which should leave me at a good spot for awhile.

Still don't know if I am getting a One down the line or not yet.

belushy

Banned

Pretty much my plan as well. I will spend money that I'd spend on a console on building a good gaming PC. Will pick up an Xbox One a year later when H5 comes out and then maybe a PS4 that next summer. Don't know about a WiiU though.

Omni

Such an awesome scene. I was pretty spellbound when I first experienced it.
Yeah. Only bad thing about it is the view is so narrow in the pod... but otherwise really awesome.

Definitely not me. You'll get more out of a console visually than you will a $400 PC... at least over time anyway.

Plus I already preordered an Xbone. Can't wait to play Forza 5.

Booshka

Threw down 1200 for my PC lol, I'm in it for the long haul. In a year or two I'll probably upgrade my video card. Otherwise I'm set for 5-7 years probably.

Madness

That's the problem, if I did make a mid range PC, would it be possible to upgrade it for cheap to keep up with games like 3-4 years from now? Will definitely check out the pc building thread here on GAF.

I gotta imagine that for at least 1-3 years into this gen, that the PC will probably beat what is possible with the next gen consoles.

Threw down 1200 for my PC lol, I'm in it for the long haul. In a year or two I'll probably upgrade my video card. Otherwise I'm set for 5-7 years probably.

For reference sake, if you don't mind me asking, what's the amount of RAM, the cpu and video card you have?

Omni

I was considering going PC only next gen actually. I'm spending like $800 anyway, so for a while it seemed like a good idea. Ended up going against it for the following reasons:

1: I suck with keyboard and mouse. No amount of practice is going to make up for 10+ years of experience with a controller.
2: Using a KB/M for long periods of time hurts my wrist. I'm talking like an hour at a time here... Probably could buy some ergonomic set up, but eh. I've yet to find anything that helps.
3: Lack of a singular "community". I guess Steam fills that role, but I feel more "connected" to those on my Xbox Live friends list.
4: Exclusive games are a little... dull. Most that are popular don't interest me at all except for the occasional RTS. Plus no Halo.
5: Most games these days are designed for consoles anyway, so in the end the better experience is to be had on them.

I'd consider returning to team Xbox if they did that. (Emphasis on consider.) The controller is dead sexy.
They're slowly plodding towards something that is more palatable, but with each step they take I feel a diminishing reluctance rather than an increasing desire.

I was considering going PC only next gen actually. I'm spending like $800 anyway, so for a while it seemed like a good idea. Ended up going against it for the following reasons:

1: I suck with keyboard and mouse. No amount of practice is going to make up for 10+ years of experience with a controller.
2: Using a KB/M for long periods of time hurts my wrist. I'm talking like an hour at a time here... Probably could buy some ergonomic set up, but eh. I've yet to find anything that helps.
3: Lack of a singular "community". I guess Steam fills that role, but I feel more "connected" to those on my Xbox Live friends list.
4: Exclusive games are a little... dull. Most that are popular don't interest me at all except for the occasional RTS. Plus no Halo.
5: Most games these days are designed for consoles anyway, so in the end the better experience is to be had on them.
To point 1,4 and 5. A lot of multiplatform games are playable with controller and have much better graphics on PC, sou you can have a much better game experience if you hook the pc on a TV.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
To point 1,4 and 5. A lot of multiplatform games are playable with controller and have much better graphics on PC, sou you can have a much better game experience if you hook the pc on a TV.

Except any kind of competitive FPS you'll get destroyed with a controller on PC. One of the reasons I wont switch either. I hate the keyboard as an input for gaming, I always hit wrong keys. I may build a PC next year for a handful of games though.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
That's the problem, if I did make a mid range PC, would it be possible to upgrade it for cheap to keep up with games like 3-4 years from now? Will definitely check out the pc building thread here on GAF.

I gotta imagine that for at least 1-3 years into this gen, that the PC will probably beat what is possible with the next gen consoles.

For reference sake, if you don't mind me asking, what's the amount of RAM, the cpu and video card you have?

Certain components in a PC will not need upgrading for quite a long time unless they fail or you anticipate them failing.

These are:
Case incl. additional fans etc
KB
Mouse
HDD/SSD
Power Supply

So the parts you would need to upgrade to maintain performance would be:
Motherboard
CPU
GPU
Ram

The motherboard primarily would need upgrading if you wanted to upgrade the CPU and it wasn't compatible with your current motherboard.

A decent CPU would provide good performance for at least 3 years imo. As games tend to be bottlenecked by the GPU you would likely notice a quicker decline in performance due to the GPU. How long a GPU would last is somewhat subjective as it depends on what level of graphics settings and framerate you want. There's a huge difference in wanting max settings at 60fps and low settings at 30fps in terms of GPU cost and longevity.

Another thing worth considering with this gen is that now that consoles will be very much like PCs we may see some of the console optimisation carrying over to PC.

I also think that with the switch to 8 core processors games will take advantage of all 8 cores so providing you have an 8 core or 8 logical core processor it would probably be sufficiently powerful for longer, this is just speculation on my part though.

Another factor is with cheaper games as well as lots of free games and mods you will probably save quite a lot on games.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Except any kind of competitive FPS you'll get destroyed with a controller on PC. One of the reasons I wont switch either. I hate the keyboard as an input for gaming, I always hit wrong keys. I may build a PC next year for a handful of games though.

Are there any competitive games even left on console? Halo 1-3 were amazing competitive multi-player games but Halo 4? CoD?

This is one of the things that made me switch to PC, actual competitive FPS games such as Counter Strike and Quake.

I found using KBM pretty alien at first after years of consoles but soon learned, within days really, how to use KBM quite effectively. Within a few weeks I had far more control and precision than I ever had using a gamepad.

IHaveIce

Banned
Are there any competitive games even left on console? Halo 1-3 were amazing competitive multi-player games but Halo 4? CoD?

This is one of the things that made me switch to PC, actual competitive FPS games such as Counter Strike and Quake.

I found using KBM pretty alien at first after years of consoles but soon learned, within days really, how to use KBM quite effectively. Within a few weeks I had far more control and precision than I ever had using a gamepad.
I don't know are fighting game tourneys hold on pc or on console?

Mace Griffin

Neo Member

1. I adapted to KBM very quickly after spending years on console. Its not that hard to adapt. I love KBM now, it allows for far greater control and precision with no awkwardness such as trying to aim up or down with a gamepad, or even aim quickly.
2. You can get wrist pad type things to support your wrist if there's too much of a gap from desk to KB.
3. Steam's fairly close to this although not quite as singular as XBL, you can however join groups on Steam.
4. This is obviously personal preference. Halo sucks now, no? I have zero confidence for Halo 5. I gave them a chance with 4 after Reach and they actually made it worse overall.
5. You can have the identical experience with superior graphics and framerates with a game-pad, or, you can have an even better input method with KBM when it comes to FPS/RTS anyway.
6. You also have a machine that allows you to do much more than just gaming if you want.

FYC

Banned

I've been PC most of my life, it's amazing. I probably won't pick up a new console for a while. I'm content with my handhelds, and my brother has a Wii U that I'll use for W101 and Bayo 2.

Will probably get a console later down the line when it's cheaper and more games are out. Killer Instinct looks sick though, have to play it someday.

Top Bottom