• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Enfinit

Wait, what? Fighting in a mall wouldn't be fun?

I for one would lose my shit if we got to fight in a huge 2552 shopping mall. Hell, add in dynamic ads on telescreens to make it free and get some extra cash money! AND THE CALLOUTS THINK OF THE CALLOUTS

"frankie's got red flag at top apparel"
"lyberty's got sword at red sushi"
"rockets up at carousel"

You could add in a directory with realtime player and ordnance tracking fer chrissakes!
hire wahrer
Yeah, you're right about the modern shooters. Some people got so hyped about Titanfall, but it looks just like CoD to me.
I also don't understand the hype for Titanfall. It looks like CoD with mechs. Can someone explain why it looks so awesome and everyone's losing their shit over it?

TCKaos

hire wahrer

I also don't understand the hype for Titanfall. It looks like CoD with mechs. Can someone explain why it looks so awesome and everyone's losing their shit over it?

Have you not seen Titanfall?

I dunno. It looks like CoD with mechs to me.

Enfinit

Have you not seen Titanfall?

I dunno. It looks like CoD with mechs to me.

Oh, I saw it when everyone else did. The idea of it looks cool, I guess, but it just looks like a bunch of robots fighting each other with guns and shit. Nothing drastically innovative. Which is appealing to people?

I guess the idea's cool, but from the trailer I just watched, including the gameplay trailer, it doesn't look like anything that makes my pants tight. The gun play resembles others we've seen before, and the mech suit looks... unique, but nothing that gets me hyped for it. It's like a mix of Halo 4's Mantis and the last Transformers game (which was super fun, by the way). The color pallet from everything I've seen even looks bland.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just naïve or missing something, but I'm just having trouble understanding why people, including the dozens in this thread alone, are so hyped for this game. It looks fun, but nothing revolutionary.

Titan Fall looks fun as hell in my opinion. Honestly, just the idea of fighting hundreds of people at once, taking down enemy mechs when all I have is my awesome parkour skills and weak gun, nailing and taking down those mechs with team work and strategy, I don't know, it just sounds fun.

Like seriously I can't wait to double jump and wall run haha

Enfinit

Titan Fall looks fun as hell in my opinion.

That's the thing. It looks fun. That's it.

I mean, you're right. It looks fun to me too. But a lot of games are fun. Dark Souls is fun. Cut the Rope is fun. Minesweeper is fun. I just don't understand the amount of hype I've seen for the game.

Now RYSE on the other hand. That looks more than just fun.

So, Activision released some Call of Duty stats today.

Call%20of%20Duty%20Franchise%20Infographic-page-0.jpg

Just for fun, I wanted to compare it to Halo's stats (as of April 1, 2012, so these stats are missing a TON of Reach playtime, and all of Halo 4's playtime)

Heh, wow. So much time spent playing Video Games, just between these 2 games. :)

The amount of happiness and nostalgia I got reading those Halo stats, it's huge. <3 Hope this doesn't sound weird to say, but Bungie's the only gaming company I ever felt really cared and appreciated it's fanbase. Heh, the "Thank you for being the brightest stars in our galaxy. Thank you for making Bungie.net your community home for many years. See you starside. <3" is such a nice touch. Seriously just comparing those 2 stats, one is "heart felt" (or as heart felt as a company that wants your money can be), and the other is just... stat sharing. Bungie is amazing and making it's fanbase feel loved and appreciated, and that's probably why Bungie is my favorite developer. Hope I'm not the only one who feels this way, cause then this just sounds silly and ridiculous, but I think that's something that makes Bungie special.

BigShow36

If you want something like classic Counter Strike or Unreal, sure. Why are they considered "true" shooters though? And everything else thrown out?

Those titles focused on shooting and demanded shooting skill to succeed. Modern titles do not, and with less focus on the actual shooting part, it's hard to call them "true" shooters.

In fact, most of their focus now is on every element EXCEPT the shooting.

Oh, I saw it when everyone else did. The idea of it looks cool, I guess, but it just looks like a bunch of robots fighting each other with guns and shit. Nothing drastically innovative. Which is appealing to people?

I guess the idea's cool, but from the trailer I just watched, including the gameplay trailer, it doesn't look like anything that makes my pants tight. The gun play resembles others we've seen before, and the mech suit looks... unique, but nothing that gets me hyped for it. It's like a mix of Halo 4's Mantis and the last Transformers game (which was super fun, by the way). The color pallet from everything I've seen even looks bland.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just naïve or missing something, but I'm just having trouble understanding why people, including the dozens in this thread alone, are so hyped for this game. It looks fun, but nothing revolutionary.

I agree, it looks like one of those games that everyone creams themselves over because it sounds like something that should be "cool" so they think it's amazing (hello Halo jetpack). To me, it looks like CoD with worse shooting and overpowered mechs. No thanks.

Risen

I agree, it looks like one of those games that everyone creams themselves over because it sounds like something that should be "cool" so they think it's amazing (hello Halo jetpack). To me, it looks like CoD with worse shooting and overpowered mechs. No thanks.

I guess it all depends on implementation and how you go about playing the game. Take CoD for instance. I can have a ton of fun in Blops 2 with Lightweight, Extreme Conditioning, and Dead Silence (on almost every class). With fast kill times and fast movement, I can play blazing fast rushing constantly, always being dynamic and being where I'm not expected. This is how that game is fun to me. I'd go bat shit crazy sitting in a window just ADS'ing waiting for some schlub to happen along. Playing in the style in which I play, and seeing a game that appears pretty polished, and allows even more dynamic movement with the thruster pack... makes me excited to see what it is about.

If there was something akin to the thruster pack in Blops 2 - allowing faster hops, sudden directional movement that I control, and things like wall running opening up fast, unexpected movement - I'd enjoy that I think.

In the GP of TitanFall - it looks like I'll have the ability to play fast, be in unexpected places quickly, and make people miss - I like that idea. It's not the arena shooter I crave, but that doesn't mean it can't be a certain kind of fun.

Regarding the mechs, I can envision game play where they can be balanced and not overpowered, and can certainly envision an implementation where they are broken... But I'm excited to see how it turns out either way if for no other reason than it is a new FPS IP that appears to be a rather polished future release from what has been shown so far.

Tawpgun

Legendary Rumble is awesome. Feels like Halo. Can't wait till they put BR's into Legendary Slayer.

Played the most intense FFA match ever. Me and another guy ended up trading kills and tied the game. And like 3 others were close to winning too.

I would link the game but waypoint is a shitshow as usual.

I hope not, as that would imply that standard weaponry is unsuitable to combating a Titan.

Touche. While that's a really good point, I'm expecting a Halo-esque system. That is, 1v1, infantry-to-mech gunplay favors the mech. To compensate, infantry with higher map awareness can utilize parkour to their advantage to hop onto the Titans and shoot their space brains. That's not to say infantry weaponry is completely ineffective; teamshooting mechs could probably bring one down pretty quickly. That being said, I'm expecting one or two deliberately anti-Titan weapons like an anti-armor marksman rifle and a BFG to serve as power weapons on at least a few of the maps.

Quit crying already there is nothing wrong with H4 multiplayer I'm sick of whining "fans" crying about wanting the same crap over and over again. Go play reach if you don't like it.

Or go play legendary slayer. Adjust or quit playing, 343 isn't going to release the same crap every time they make a new halo game so get used to it. And there's nothing wrong with classes or perks, makes the games more interesting and difficult. I'm sure the other halos were so much better when someone could just run to the shotty or sword and own the whole game. Please. The game is evolving...evolve with it or go play something else
This shit right here.. has to stop.
If you're this blinded then Rip in pieces.

willow ve

There is an ignore function on most forums
You probably can't read this because 2/3 of HaloGAF ignores me - I know this because GAF Gold and all

FyreWulff

Still hilarious there was 3 versions of that on one disc and none of them looked alike.

It was like "here's this location with Xbox-era tech, here's this location with roughly midway tech between Halo 2 and Halo 3, and now here's the location in the Reach engine'

FyreWulff

I'm going to guess:

Halo CE: 256x256 textures (although some of them look like 128s)

Halo CEA: 512x512 textures

Halo Reach: 1024x1024 textures (I want to say Reach was the first Halo to use 1024s in gameplay, but Halo 3 might have had a couple)

Computer

I remember when I couldn't keep up with the Halo OT threads. Dammit 343 I have nothing to read now. Hope you are happy.

I miss maps having a Halo rise up out into the sky. Just have every map be on a Halo and play some strange ambient sounds like on Sidewinder going forward :)

7 days until the Pit!

also kinda weird, this competitive gaming thing is taking off it looks like. Dota 2 The International drew 1 million concurrent viewers, crazy.

Crazy. Can someone explain the Dendi hook compilation video? What exactly is going on there?

HTupolev

Im pretty sure that CE has some photoshop on it besides it having the "juicy" effect on it. The projectile from the tower in the picture looks way different from the one i took In CEA.
CEA's Classic Mode isn't ideal, either. See how the water waves blur away into nothingness at a fairly close distance in the skybox? The original game doesn't do that.

You'd really want to take the picture from an oXbox or Halo PC. The former is the only way to get an entirely accurate shot (although the 360 emulator looks very close in that particular area), and the latter is less graphically broken than Classic Mode while offering vastly superior IQ.

Top Bottom