• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

mo60

I got my first killing frenzy in halo 4.
It was on simplex.I was playing the slayer pro variant of infinity slayer.I was so close to losing my killing spree before got the frenzy

Anyone here (Europeans only) going to get/register a 3DS between now and the 5th of October?

Because I have a recommendation code to get Animal Crossing for free! First one to say so gets it.

I'm heading out now, will be a while before I can reply.

TheOddOne

I want an ODST style adventure here:

ENS_MPv01.jpg

ENS_MPv01detail2.jpg

ENSLocation1v02.jpg

ENSlocation2_v04.jpg

I'm just saying, why don't you want my money.

Kthanksbai

Omni

RIP in peace Ensemble Studios.

If only they were kept around to make Halo Wars 2. Meh

I found myself lurking the Ubisoft Splinter Cell forums and noticed that community is a lot like us in regards to the franchise - as in, they consider the older games in the series to be better and are frustrated with unnecessary changes. Strange looking at it from the outside in.

I found myself lurking the Ubisoft Splinter Cell forums and noticed that community is a lot like us in regards to the franchise - as in, they consider the older games in the series to be better and are frustrated with unnecessary changes. Strange looking at it from the outside in.

See also: every franchise ever. MegaMan, Metroid, Genwunners...

m23

I think the Splinter Cell series has changed for the worse more than Halo has. SC: Conviction was a HORRIBLE Splinter Cell game, it was basically a third person shooter.

Why can't halo wars 2 just happen? There has to be enough ensemble guys around for a new team. Halo wars was kinda simplistic as far as rts go but I loved every second of it. It has a design that can be seriously expanded on. Just do it!!

gAg CruSh3r

Why can't halo wars 2 just happen? There has to be enough ensemble guys around for a new team. Halo wars was kinda simplistic as far as rts go but I loved every second of it. It has a design that can be seriously expanded on. Just do it!!

Exactly! 343i please make it happen :)....

Akai__

If Halo Wars 2 ever happens it will probably be a Kinect game.

Well, I hope it's not. The controls were actually quite okay for a console RTS.

Yeah I hope it stays that way too. I hope it becomes 5v5 online or something :)..

I don't have anything against additional Kinect controls, but if it's Kinect only... Fuck that...

5vs5 would be madness, I guess. 3vs3 can be pretty chaotic in Halo Wars and sometimes (very) unbalanced, but it is really fun, if you have a party going.

I've been trying to keep Gravity Gauntlet shit to a minimum, but I need help working on a control scheme. There are three functions to keep in mind: jump, parkour, and melee. Due to the emphasis on map movement I was thinking LB jump, RB parkour, and then I dunno about the melee. Would it be too weird for you guys if melee was clicking the RS and then scoping was a color button like B?

Mix

I've been trying to keep Gravity Gauntlet shit to a minimum, but I need help working on a control scheme. There are three functions to keep in mind: jump, parkour, and melee. Due to the emphasis on map movement I was thinking LB jump, RB parkour, and then I dunno about the melee. Would it be too weird for you guys if melee was clicking the RS and then scoping was a color button like B?

Do not map your scoping button to a face button that is some shitty game design.

heckfu

Banned

I don't think it would be weird for anyone to press B to scope on a game that doesn't exist.

I think I have it figured out.

RT: Shoot
LT: Throw Grenade
RB: Parkour
LB: Jump
RS: Scope
LS: Crouch
Start: Menu
Select: Scoreboard
A: Craftwatch
-Every player has a "Craftwatch" and spawns with two frags. If you hold A, a small radial menu opens up showing the other 4 grenade types. Hold A and use the DPad to convert your frags into your new grenades of choice.
-If you hold A for 5 seconds with no DPad input, your grenades will disappear and the weapon you currently have out will have up to 50% of its maximum ammo restored.
B: Melee
-Armed melee attacks have damage that changes depending on player speed.
X: Action
Y: Switch Weapon
D^: Blood Grenade / Open Mic
Dv: Hive Grenade / Team Chat
D>: Soul Grenade / Switch Grenades
D<: Mind Grenade / Switch Grenades

If you run out of ammo on a weapon, press RT to drop it. Losing both weapons sends you into Fisticuffs - a melee component along the lines of Escape From Butcher Bay.

RT: Punch
LT: Block
RB: Parkour
LB: Lunge (Horizontal jump. Good for parkour and functions as a shorthop to avoid kicks in CQC)
RS: Kick
LS: Crouch (Use to avoid punches)
Start: Unchanged
Select: Unchanged
A: Unchanged
-Trying to restore ammo in Fisticuffs will cause a "Force Flare" that temporarily beefs up your punches
B: Throw Grenade (In Fisticuffs, everyone has a "pocket rocket" that'll shoot your grenades with no hands, as a background process)
X: Action
Y: Gesture (Such as pointing or taunting)
DPad: Unchanged

Akai__

I was a little bit disapointed by the new Xbox One controller. If you ask me, they could have added 2 additional bumpers. That way, we could have better controls I guess and developers could map some new features on those buttons, if needed.

I'd play Halo Wars more often if they allowed a party of 2 to join 3v3's.. What a terrible decision to implement Matchmaking that way.

Me and a friend have spent hours over the years sitting in matchmaking, party chat, calling out when it finds a player trying to get into the same game. So fucking stupid.

3v3>>>>>>>

It was actually more fun to end up on different teams and go straight for each other the whole time while chaos is happening all over the map with the other players

Enfinit

So apparently a new Halo comic about the origins of Sarah Palmer comes out today on Waypoint.

What the fuck is their fascination with Sarah Palmer and why do they keep shoving her down our throats?

Me and a friend have spent hours over the years sitting in matchmaking, party chat, calling out when it finds a player trying to get into the same game. So fucking stupid.

3v3>>>>>>>

It was actually more fun to end up on different teams and go straight for each other the whole time while chaos is happening all over the map with the other players

Reminds me of Gears 1 lol (party chat to find ranked games).

So apparently a new Halo comic about the origins of Sarah Palmer comes out today on Waypoint.

What the fuck is their fascination with Sarah Palmer and why do they keep shoving her down our throats?

I find it especially ironic/hilarious that they chose for her to wear the ugliest helmet in Halo history. The Scout helmet gave me ulcers whenever I saw someone wearing it in Halo 3.

I called this though; they're going to MAKE US love her! What if she dies and MC gets a replacement Palmer AI over bringing back Cortana? B]

Enfinit

I find it especially ironic/hilarious that they chose for her to wear the ugliest helmet in Halo history. The Scout helmet gave me ulcers whenever I saw someone wearing it in Halo 3.

I called this though; they're going to MAKE US love her! What if she dies and MC gets a replacement Palmer AI over bringing back Cortana? B]

It's pathetic. We get an annoying dose of her in Halo 4's campaign, Spartan Ops practically revolves around her, not you, Spartan Assault is her origin story, and now we have a comic book series about her.

Our first introduction to her was in Halo 4's campaign, and from the way she was portrayed, from a narrative perspective we were meant to not like her. From her attitude to the way she walked. In Spartan Ops she was just as aggressive and rude as the campaign (EGGHEAD EGGHEAD EGGHEAD), so I really don't fucking understand why 343i wants us to like her when they make her out to be the biggest fucking bitch ass hole douche bag ever.

"I thought you'd be taller", she says to the most iconic, revered, and battle-hardened badass soldier in the USNC.

"I though you'd be taller", she says, with an undeniable attitude.

That's like walking up to the President of the United States and saying "I thought you'd be more black."

HOW THE FUCK ARE WE SUPPOSE TO LIKE HER.

Enfinit

I have a feeling enfinit really doesn't like palmer... Or maybe I'm just crazy.

FUCK SARAH PALMER.

But for real, I don't like her, but that's not my gripe. I just don't understand why 343i wants us to like her, but in every instance she's being portrayed as a cocky douchebag ass hole bitch of a person.

(Granted, I don't know how she's portrayed in Spartan Assault, because I haven't and am not going to play it.)

If you want the audience to like a character, even if she's portrayed as a unlikeable one, you have to make give her something that resonates with the audience. You have to give her some humanity. Make her do something good. Make her save a good character. Something. Look at characters like Snape from Harry Potter or Gloucester from King Lear. It's fucking creative writing 101.

TCKaos

343i desperately wants a character all their own, and they've failed on all fronts. Del Rio is the most memorable original character and it's because he was such an amazing asshole who was actually written fairly well. We knew he was a smug asshole because he acted like a smug asshole, and he was crafted to be an asshole. He was the only character who was written well and whose hammy lines didn't feel out of place. I remember Sarah Palmer, Roland and that other Spartan for being annoying even though they weren't intended to be annoying. They were written poorly, had horrible dialogue, and were generally useless in Spartan-Ops, due to the whole "LIGHTING THEM UP ON YOUR HUD NOW, CRIMSON" thing that I fucking despise. If your encounters are so muddled that you don't expect players to be able to finish them without showing them exactly where every enemy is then you should rethink your encounters. Another reason SpOps was a cool idea on paper but bad in practice.

And Dr. Tillson, who you see for like five seconds. The entire Composer level was written and designed fairly well, honestly. It's my favorite level in the game. It's essentially an up-front version of one of those sub-narratives you would see in Halo 3, like how Sierra-117 is actually about a skirmish with a single Brute pack led by a Chieftan who antagonizes you for the entire mission, whom you defeat at the end.

belushy

Banned
CoD Ghosts to be MLG exclusive FPS of 2014. Halo, please come back.

That leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Ghosts looks good imo, but we don't know how competitive it will be. I didn't see spectator mode either. Why switch to Ghosts when Blops 2 has everything an eSports title needs?

I hate Money-loving MLG. :( I miss Halo-loving MLG.

Risen

It's like CoD and halo switched directions with each other.

Competetive cod is a snorefest. One life search and destroy is cool though, do they play that in mlg? I've only seen CTF and something like domination

Yeah Search is one of the MLG types played.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
I think Sarah Palmer is also too much, too fast.

She's the first chatty Spartan. She engages in banter, which none of the others really did. Thinking back to Reach, I don't feel like any of the Noble members did as much conversing in the whole game as she does in a single episode of Spartan Ops.

She also runs around the whole time without a helmet. Now, we saw all of Noble's faces (minus Six, of course) but not like, while they were hanging out talking to Halsey or Keyes. They only ever had helmets off when they were together, which is kinda worth noting, when you think about it. Palmer is like, "what up, bitches. Check me out, walking through this huge ass hangar with my armor on. You like this? Also I am a woman."

She also has a full name. I guess the IV's all sign up volunteer for the Spartan Program. The III's all had identities prior to becoming Spartans but they don't retain them. What's Jorge's last name? Did anyone know? Was Carter like, "Welcome to Noble Team. I'm Fred Carter, I wear a blue helmet." Nope.

Palmer is too much of a departure from what we want from the Spartan characters. That's why I don't like her. You want me to appreciate the hard ass woman Commander of the S4's? Put her fucking helmet back on and don't write her dialog like she's a character in Mean Girls. Make her a Spartan, not one of the Plastics.

Top Bottom