• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

They're shaking the dead Halo tree to grab the fruit that falls out.

Bungie and 343 drop clan support? We got you.
343 drops fileshare support (and/or has a nearly six month long downtime)? We got you.
343 removes legacy gametypes? We got you, have all of our old ones and some new ones.
343 removes interesting squad mates from the story? We got you bro, here's a goddamned dog.
343 removed some emblems from the game. We got you, you can make your own.
343 doesn't implement any spectator mode? It's okay, we've got it.

It's like they're picking up nearly every ball 343 has been dropping, though I hear the netcode has gotten worse and there are some balancing issues with some of the perks.

Thats pretty much what ive been saying for a while now. They shipped a game where half the shit you assume will be there is fucking gone and then they wonder why people play something else. COD has been doing all the features Halo used to do well, but do it a lot better. They took whatever Halo had and took it up a notch. Its exactly what i expect from a Halo game, not a fucking COD game.

Honestly, at this point, im just tired of bitching about such obvious stuff that 343 cant seem to do right. If they don't deliver on 5, then fuck Halo. Im tried, and there are too many good games out there (including Titanfall which looks amazing) for me to keep sticking to a company and franchise that doesn't seem to know what its fanbase expects.

Gui_PT

Well, up until September 2007.

jk don't kill me nerds

ZRzqAza.gif

Fuchsdh

Yep, got it earlier today. This is good PR for EA, since they aren't making money off it.

First comment in the Ars Technica section was "this is just so they can get their Origin spyware on more computers!"

Gamers. Christ. In which we bitch about paying $1 for multiple multimillion dollar games.

Ghazi

I don't know, could just be pre launch glitches because I think he is 'scoring' there. But imagine if they did add things like camo to CoD.

It'd probably be fucking annoying like camo in Killzone, people camping and doing executions around corners for days.

Also, I'm not looking forward to the sliding thing, imagine what all the people who previously dropshotted will be doing with that.

Anyone know a good free way to record your screen? I'm trying to record Spartan Assault gameplay, but Fraps isn't working. :(

Welcome Back Juices, didn't even know you were gone. #HireJuices.

Maybe it's just because it's a gif but that doesn't look particularly awful. I'd rather a consistent art quality that's a year or two behind (a la Halo 3 or CoD, apparently) over the squishy pastel shitfest that was Halo 4's aesthetic save for a few moments.

FyreWulff

I'm really surprised they didn't increase the ranks with each DLC. Bungie played with the idea of the community unlocking higher ranks in Reach, but it was a single time thing and the unlock just opened up the rest of the ranking system.

Oh well, guess it's easier to sell things for MSP instead of making them obtainable from ranks

I'm really surprised they didn't increase the ranks with each DLC. Bungie played with the idea of the community unlocking higher ranks in Reach, but it was a single time thing and the unlock just opened up the rest of the ranking system.

Oh well, guess it's easier to sell things for MSP instead of making them obtainable from ranks
I have to think that was the original plan.
There are three new perks and three sets of armor. Specializations unlock a perk and a set of armor. Coincidence?

Edit: forgot about football gear. four sets of armor. but still.

I have to think that was the original plan.
There are three new perks and three sets of armor. Specializations unlock a perk and a set of armor. Coincidence?

That's what is odd. Seemed so obvious from day one the way they set up progression and such in the game that DLC would have a specialization that came with it, and thus 10 more levels of progression.

Weird that they talked so much about how regularly updating the game in multiple ways (faster DLC release schedule, TU's, fast MM updates, etc) post-release yet they included a very short progression system by today's MP standards and didn't expand it with DLC/Updates.

Did anyone actually watch the CoD MP reveal. An entire freakin show for a MP reveal. They open basically showing what a phenomon the game is, live events, celebs, commercials etc. Then Eric Hirshberg comes out and the guy impresses. Well dressed, gets to the point. They had a new Eminem song playing in the background of the reveal in front of a full crowd.

I mean c'mon. Not that Halo was that big but you put 343 up there and they would look like armatures. Can you imagine Kevin Franklin with a crowd like that? 343 seems like frat boys sometimes with inside jokes that nobody else gets. Get it together man.

Madness

Eh, I haven't hit SR-130 yet. Granted I never used any double xp ever, but I've stopped playing. I could have used some double xp weekends in the first few months of launch, not 9 months later. I think I'm around SR114 or something.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone actually watch the CoD MP reveal. An entire freakin show for a MP reveal. They open basically showing what a phenomon the game is, live events, celebs, commercials etc. Then Eric Hirshberg comes out and the guy impresses. Well dressed, gets to the point. They had a new Eminem song playing in the background of the reveal in front of a full crowd.

I mean c'mon. Not that Halo was that big but you put 343 up there and they would look like armatures. Can you imagine Kevin Franklin with a crowd like that? 343 seems like frat boys sometimes with inside jokes that nobody else gets. Get it together man.
I couldn't disagree more. Nearly everything about the COD presentation was a turn off for me. I vastly prefer 343's personality and style, though Bungie trumps them both.

I couldn't disagree more. Nearly everything about the COD presentation was a turn off for me. I vastly prefer 343's personality and style, though Bungie trumps them both.

Well aside from the fact that 343 could never host that scope of a show for Halo MP alone what do you like about 343? Frankie aside. They seem awkward, as if they are not on the same page.

Agreed 343s presentations are weak as shit. Remember the one they streamed in 360p? Lol Juices has better presentations every morning into the toilet.

The last one they had b list halo players tourneying on new maps with shitty gametypes while the good players were at agl8. CoD ghost reveal had the current top pro players there.

I'm not saying flash is everything n halo used to get a pass on that shit cause the game was solid. Now there's no quality on the inside and outside!

Halo could totally have a presentation on the same level as CoD just did. Sure they can't get big names like Ijustine and FPS Russia, but they can get their own Big Names like:

Smosh
RoosterTeeth

In terms of celebrities, well they have Nathan Fillion and they have the biggest, most mainstream celebrity at their disposable.

normal_22.jpg

The mother fucking Biebs.

Easy parts are getting MLG pros to play and live play the game. Also, get the girl who presented Halo at the Xbox One reveal and E3 to talk to the crowd, she did a good job then, she could do one for a multiplayer reveal.

You know what? I'd be all down for them hyping up a Multiplayer reveal. If it a reveal of classic, back to the basics Halo multiplayer in Halo One, I'd be hyped and excited!

Halo could totally have a presentation on the same level as CoD just did. Sure they can't get big names like Ijustine and FPS Russia, but they can get their own Big Names like:

Smosh
RoosterTeeth

In terms of celebrities, well they have Nathan Fillion and they have the biggest, most mainstream celebrity at their disposable.

normal_22.jpg

The mother fucking Biebs.

Look at this pro gamer.

Halo-Reach-Party-launch-justin-bieber-15498236-400-281.jpg

Easy parts are getting MLG pros to play and live play the game. Also, get the girl who presented Halo at the Xbox One reveal and E3 to talk to the crowd, she did a good job then, she could do one for a multiplayer reveal.

You know what? I'd be all down for them hyping up a Multiplayer reveal. If it a reveal of classic, back to the basics Halo multiplayer in Halo One, I'd be hyped and excited!

No they couldn't. I challenge 343 to reveal Halo 5 MP in its own hour show with that many people and Pros. There are more people watching streams of CoD than playing all the Halo games combined.

As a brand Activision knows what its doing. where as 343 has no brand. They have an IP that they I will admit they got after there were some mistakes but instead of listening they went and made a game built on those mistakes. As far as presentation goes, do you really want to hear Kiki talk? Or Kevin Franklin? The opening to the CoD show was brilliant. They showed pop culture references all over the place for CoD. 343 can't do that but you can present the game in a way that let's people know you have your shit together.

343 never seemed confident, just arrogant at times.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on Halo 3 if anyone wants to play.

Well aside from the fact that 343 could never host that scope of a show for Halo MP alone what do you like about 343? Frankie aside. They seem awkward, as if they are not on the same page.
I wouldn't want them to host a show like that, though. That format did nothing for me. I just want to see a trailer and hear some candid, casual dev interviews. Bungie did that best. Yeah, they came off as pretentious and self-important sometimes, but most of the time they came off as nice average folks who I'd love to hang out and chat Halo with. The guy who hosted the Ghosts reveal felt like a used car salesmen or a kinda aggro business exec.

I'll agree that 343 isn't doing a good job, but what they're aiming for is something that appeals to me more.

Madness

Here's hoping they improve their streaming capabilities. That weapons update stream was a shame. Couldn't even figure out what was happening, so choppy, was like sub 240p.

But it's probably new to them. So here's hoping they increase their visibility as a studio for Halo 5. Have a beta, have ViDoc's, post-mortems etc.

Enfinit

So in the latest bulletin, it says...

As a thank you for their dedication and contributions to the greater Halo universe, several well-known and competitive gaming communities have also received a specified amount of invites each, which they may distribute amongst their respective communities as they see fit – including rewarding their staff members, hosting giveaways and contests, and more. Keep an eye out for details from some of your favorite community websites and organizations.

So I'm guessing Juices got the invites to hand out to HaloGAF? Or was it only a Beyond and RUL thing?

Yeah, Amazon Warehouse is having some weird deals right now and it's been happening the last few nights. I got a Dark Souls CE for $7 and monsterfracas got a PS Vita for $38.

What update?
While on MobileGAF the Main page viewing the list "Gaming Discussion, Gaming Community, Off-Topic Discussion, Off-Topic Community" is sort of smaller and organized than before.

While viewing each post the Quoted boxes outlines are lighter, Quoted Name is highlighted and is within the Box rather being placed on top of it to the top left corner, and doesn't Highlight your Quoted Posts as Green anymore.

Top Bottom