• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

TCKaos

It's like CoD and halo switched directions with each other.

Competetive cod is a snorefest. One life search and destroy is cool though, do they play that in mlg? I've only seen CTF and something like domination

They're shaking the dead Halo tree to grab the fruit that falls out.

Bungie and 343 drop clan support? We got you.
343 drops fileshare support (and/or has a nearly six month long downtime)? We got you.
343 removes legacy gametypes? We got you, have all of our old ones and some new ones.
343 removes interesting squad mates from the story? We got you bro, here's a goddamned dog.
343 removed some emblems from the game. We got you, you can make your own.
343 doesn't implement any spectator mode? It's okay, we've got it.

It's like they're picking up nearly every ball 343 has been dropping, though I hear the netcode has gotten worse and there are some balancing issues with some of the perks.

I think Sarah Palmer is also too much, too fast.

She's the first chatty Spartan. She engages in banter, which none of the others really did. Thinking back to Reach, I don't feel like any of the Noble members did as much conversing in the whole game as she does in a single episode of Spartan Ops.

She also runs around the whole time without a helmet. Now, we saw all of Noble's faces (minus Six, of course) but not like, while they were hanging out talking to Halsey or Keyes. They only ever had helmets off when they were together, which is kinda worth noting, when you think about it. Palmer is like, "what up, bitches. Check me out, walking through this huge ass hangar with my armor on. You like this? Also I am a woman."

She also has a full name. I guess the IV's all sign up volunteer for the Spartan Program. The III's all had identities prior to becoming Spartans but they don't retain them. What's Jorge's last name? Did anyone know? Was Carter like, "Welcome to Noble Team. I'm Fred Carter, I wear a blue helmet." Nope.

Palmer is too much of a departure from what we want from the Spartan characters. That's why I don't like her. You want me to appreciate the hard ass woman Commander of the S4's? Put her fucking helmet back on and don't write her dialog like she's a character in Mean Girls. Make her a Spartan, not one of the Plastics.

Her lack of helmet is a vain attempt to give her some characterization and humanize her, just for being a Spartan that has her face showing. In more than a few ways she's the exact opposite of the Chief in both presentation and characterization, though I'm fairly certain it was unintentional on 343's part. The Master Chief is solemn and stoic (initially). He wears a helmet that hides his face that initially dehumanizes him. As the original trilogy, the books and Halo 4 go on, you can see that he's just as human as any of us were, and he hamfistedly struggles with that in Halo 4. Despite his helmet, he is shown to be human and to have character. In the end we see that this is a proper characterization through the removal of his helmet, humanizing him symbolically.

Sarah Palmer, on the other hand, completely lacks a helmet and her overemotive and gruff stereotypical military gruntness make her seem completely artificial as a character. She has no discernable emotions or character aside from this grunt stereotype despite 343's best efforts to show that she isn't one (even though she clearly is, even to the most casual observer). She comes off as artificial and inhuman despite her face being visible for the entirety of the events of the game. We can infer that this is a proper characterization by the end of SpOps Episode 9, because Sarah Palmer completely dehumanizes herself symbolically by putting on her helmet for the first time since we've been introduced to her, removing literally her only genuinely human trait.

Risen

Only interested cod gametype to watch, mainly because its similar to counter strike. It has great tension and amazing moments.

With the CoD-cast feature set Hardpoint can be pretty intense when watching good teams who know how to force spawns and when to rotate - action is constantly forced. The best thing done with Search was shortening the time limit per round. It forces teams to either push for kills or get that bomb plant down. It used to be abysmal to watch with no CoD cast feature and long rounds.

TCKaos

I've never understood that. I mean duh, a knife one-shotting a codbro makes sense, but I feel like CQC would get dull quick.

If the new animations play with every knife kill the knife would actually be nerfed. As it stands you can just sprint through crowds while slitting everyone's arms/throats/thighs/torsos/ankes and kill them instantly and rapidly, but if this short animation plays every time it gives nearby players a chance to react to the knife wielding maniac running through their ranks. It also presents a risk to the player knifing, as presumably being in this animation leaves them vulnerable to enemy fire for an extended period of time.

I've never understood that. I mean duh, a knife one-shotting a codbro makes sense, but I feel like CQC would get dull quick.
I never liked the knifing in COD. Granted it's not much an issue anymore, but in MW2 you could put together a perk package that allowed you to effectively run through the game and super-lunge knife people without ever firing a gun.
Damn, IGN gave Saints Row IV a 7.3/10
*IGN paid-off joke*

no bullets hans

Neo Member
She comes off as artificial and inhuman despite her face being visible for the entirety of the events of the game. We can infer that this is a proper characterization by the end of SpOps Episode 9, because Sarah Palmet completely dehumanizes herself symbolically by putting on her helmet for the first time since we've been introduced to her, removing literally her only genuinely human trait.

I like that.

Madness

Also, sorry Gui looks like Xbox One ain't coming to Portugal anytime soon. Only 13 markets this year, with more markets in 2014 but they didn't even mention Portugal. Best bet, now that the online requirement is dropped, is to get one shipped from Spain.

"To do that, and in order to meet demand, we have adjusted the number of markets that will receive Xbox One in November to 13 markets, including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand, in November.

We remain committed to launching Xbox One in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, as soon as possible in 2014."

TCKaos

I like that.

She's also dehumanized in part because she puts on her helmet to go on a mission to kill Halsey, who is the mother of the SPARTAN program and a maternal figure for Chief and Cortana.

She's like the physical manifestation of the mistakes 343 has made so far - she's a generic, inhuman stereotypical dudebro character who runs around with unwarranted self importance, who has shown absolutely no ability to control a combat situation despite being the commander of the strongest military force the galaxy has witnessed in the last millennia and compares Halsey - your mom - to a monster like Josef Mengele because it's some new fad that the writers have some raging boner for, because everyone getting together and doing a complete 180 to shit on the person who just might have single-handedly saved the human race with your tacit consent and outright approval over the course of some forty years is somehow good characterization.

Talking about sarah palmer did anyone noticed how CoD and Battlefield have their own Sarah Palmer in the game, it even shares a similar face.

Up7hNVe.jpg

xghots.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6P0zorzGgG.jpg

Wait, is she using makeup in the battlefield, oh wow

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I can never tell the difference between COD games. The leaning thing and destruction are new, right? The dual render thing is pretty cool, but other than that I don't really see anything that great.

TheOddOne

Destructible environments, dynamic maps, new movement mechanics, interesting new gametypes, clans, whatever that portal thing was, and 60fps/1080p? I'm interested at least. Even though I'm not a regular player of CoD, I get a craving for mindless action every once in awhile.
All very valid points and kudos to the developers for going all out. Still, I've kind of had my fill for a while now for that type of game.

nillapuddin

I watched/listened to all of the post stage show commentary from IGN (and a little bit before it started)

and I actually had some faith in IGN restored, none of them were notably impressed, all spoke to the "tiredness" in the COD formula, and the phrase they kept throwing around was "they did enough"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
CoD: Ghosts looks siiiiick
It's hard for me to tell whether or not a COD game is good. Like, they all look the same to me, and all seem kind of fun, but also too obnoxious for me to want to bother with. But depending on how the rest of the PS4 launch line-up measures out, I could see myself getting Ghosts.

Fracas

#fuckonami
All very valid points and kudos to the developers for going all out. Still, I've kind of had my fill for a while now for that type of game.
I've never really played Call of Duty multiplayer outside of 4 and Blops, so I'm not tired out just yet (I absolutely loathe MW2/3 though, so I have a few reservations about the game). That said, I could definitely use Ghosts when I want a change of pace from BF4 for my FPS fix.
It's hard for me to tell whether or not a COD game is good. Like, they all look the same to me, and all seem kind of fun, but also too obnoxious for me to want to bother with. But depending on how the rest of the PS4 launch line-up measures out, I could see myself getting Ghosts.
I may end up buying it. I'm interested in Knack and maybe Killzone too, but that money adds up to quite a bit for something I don't even really need. BF4 is a definite though, and I already paid off the preorder, but everything else is up in the air. Although if you and other gaffers get Ghosts, I'll probably grab it for some clan donging.
So guys, how about those halos?
Outside of a potential Halo Trilogy on Steam, Halo's basically dormant for the next year, isn't it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I may end up buying it. I'm interested in Knack and maybe Killzone too, but that money adds up to quite a bit for something I don't even really need. BF4 is a definite though, and I already paid off the preorder, but everything else is up in the air. Although if you and other gaffers get Ghosts, I'll probably grab it for some clan donging.
Yeah, BF4 is the only game I'm getting for sure. And same as you, I'll get COD or KZ if the MP is any good and I know enough people who're playing.

nillapuddin

I know we get a bit iffy about what exactly Certain Affinity's role in Halo development is, but to be fair, the COD stage show spoke to the fact that Infinity Ward, Raven, and Neversoft all contributed to just the game.

There is no denying that COD provides a metric fuck ton of MP content, maybe MS just needs to go round up its bitches and through them in a Halo dungeon.

Destructible environments, dynamic maps, new movement mechanics, interesting new gametypes, clans, whatever that portal thing was, and 60fps/1080p? I'm interested at least. Even though I'm not a regular player of CoD, I get a craving for mindless action every once in awhile.

If they were running 1080p, they'd make it loud and clear. COD on PS3 runs at like 540p or something in that ballpark.

It was nice to see they finally updated their animation systems and such in their engine though (Loooong overdue), going from BF to COD is like going back in a time machine in that regard (and plenty of others).

Fuchsdh

I watched/listened to all of the post stage show commentary from IGN (and a little bit before it started)

and I actually had some faith in IGN restored, none of them were notably impressed, all spoke to the "tiredness" in the COD formula, and the phrase they kept throwing around was "they did enough"

IGN gets waaay too much blanket hate. Even now, people are shitting on them for getting Microsoft to actually give straight answers to questions everyone wanted to know.

Don't get me wrong, game journalism is by and large crap and IGN is right up there with them as a company, but there are a tremendous number of quality writers there doing good work. Also, Podcast Unlocked is a great show.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm assuming you guys know about it already, but I'll post it just in case. Newest Humble Bundle is slick. Many newish EA titles for $1. Beat the average of about $4.50 and get BF3 and The Sims 3

Top Bottom