• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Whats not Halo?

I like Halo 2 the most.

Its not Halo, its Halo2.

How would you like CE + 2 + 3 as a game?

By comparison, how would you like CE2 as a game?

What they should do IMO, is start building the games gameplay and maps with 4-8 players in mind with no AAs. Just core Halo. Then, add to that. Add options that you can turn on/off, lower, raise, etc... And that on everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Thats how a Halo game should be built. If i cant play it with 2 of my friends in customs without having to look for them on a map for half an hour, you failed. Halo Reach and 4 fail at that, hard. Most maps in those are too big for small customs games. And Ironically, theyre also the most disliked games in the franchise.

For me, the only reason i played Reach and 4 much less then 2 and 3 was because most of my custom games were up to 4 people in my room, max. Most of Halo Reaches maps were all too big for 3-4 people and same thing for H4. Map design is KEY in a MP game. If your maps suck, your game will suck, no matter how good the gameplay.

BigShow36

How would you like CE + 2 + 3 as a game?

By comparison, how would you like CE2 as a game?

What does that even mean though? I would like a game with certain aspects of all three of those Halo games. What would "CE 2" look like?

If it was Halo CE with viable online, I would take that over any other Halo game to date, but that doesn't mean a better Halo game couldn't be made.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I just want a Halo game that is fully customisable and moddable. Then, work with the community to create the best possible competitive experience, and add in some fun gametypes. Done.

BigShow36

I just want a Halo game that is fully customisable and moddable. Then, work with the community to create the best possible competitive experience, and add in some fun gametypes. Done.

I do and I don't. On one hand, I do because everything developers have given us over the past 10 years has been crap. If I could customize/mod the settings of the game, it wouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand, I feel one of the reasons Halo's popularity has declined is because it lost it's soul. Halo has no core anymore that unites the bulk of players and defines itself as "Halo." Think of all the great MP games in the past 15 years. Most of them have the following in common; they are very well balanced and competitive, and the core game is well defined and supports that balance and competition.

Halo doesn't even know what it is anymore and that's partly because it tries to have all these customizations and different styles of gameplay. Halo needs to redefine itself and focus on fundamentals instead of trying to please every splinter faction of fan. If it essentially becomes some open source shell with the Halo brand on it, it will no longer be Halo to me.

I do and I don't. On one hand, I do because everything developers have given us over the past 10 years has been crap. If I could customize/mod the settings of the game, it wouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand, I feel one of the reasons Halo's popularity has declined is because it lost it's soul. Halo has no core anymore that unites the bulk of players and defines itself as "Halo." Think of all the great MP games in the past 15 years. Most of them have the following in common; they are very well balanced and competitive, and the core game is well defined and supports that balance and competition.

Halo doesn't even know what it is anymore and that's partly because it tries to have all these customizations and different styles of gameplay. Halo needs to redefine itself and focus on fundamentals instead of trying to please every splinter faction of fan. If it essentially becomes some open source shell, it will no longer be Halo to me.

It has nothing to do with the customization. Halo4 knows what it is, its a big team MP game. So was Reach to a degree and that is why they fail. Halo was very popular when the core game was properly playable on most maps with 4-8 players. They upped the base player count with Reach and 4 by making most of the maps for bigger games. 12 to 16 players. Thats exactly when Halo started to drop.

Halo can do some of that, but if you base your whole game on that, you will fail. The proof is right there in front of you with Reach and 4.

Striker

They began upping the player count in Halo 3, see 5v5 Social Skirmish and Social Slayer (initially). Reach was mostly 4v4 in the small team games until 343 changed up Objective to 5v5 (for no reason other than lulz).

As for maps in the game, it had no big maps other than two forged creations and the two Invasion maps. If anything it lacked big maps suited for BTB.

lol @ people still thinking a Halo developer is going to change the game based on fan feedback.
Seeing most of the competitive and pro players leaving within the first few months of release should be concerning. Losing all that potential numbers for the MP population, Dlc purchases, and etc.

It's like they aren't really worried about the competitive side to Halo 4 so long as they met a specific sales point based on knowing that fans Will buy regardless for a numbered sequal and teasing gameplay with huge expectations of wanting a solid arena shooter, but instead quite the opposite for veterans players. Correct me if I'm wrong for seeing things this way. But I feel the same way with BigShow in wanting the core halo carefully polished along with the new ideas to compliment the overall game.

What does that even mean though? I would like a game with certain aspects of all three of those Halo games. What would "CE 2" look like?

If it was Halo CE with viable online, I would take that over any other Halo game to date, but that doesn't mean a better Halo game couldn't be made.

CE + 2 + 3 would take high notes from each game meaning that it'd be a high-speed arena shooter focusing on a slighty expansive sandbox and featuring a mix of game settings akin to small vs big team, feature a ranked/social split applied to design philosophy, and likely possess a "fifth element" gameplay feature such as Equipment.

CE2 would be a slight graphical upgrade and focus on a very concise array of weapons emphasizing map control and substance over style. However, physics are accordingly floaty (which has the potential to result in a "slow as molasses" interpretation in this day and age) and the Pistol would dominate the sandbox just as much as it did in the original.

Madness

Damn, Madden 25 is also going to require a day one title update to fix up issues players found during the new demo release.

What's going on? If players find these huge issues during a demo, how do testers or QA people miss them?

Is this just a byproduct of annualized releases and short development cycles? Bugs needing to be fixed day one, features that need to be added later, etc.

J10

Banned
Damn, Madden 25 is also going to require a day one title update to fix up issues players found during the new demo release.

What's going on? If players find these huge issues during a demo, how do testers or QA people miss them?

Is this just a byproduct of annualized releases and short development cycles? Bugs needing to be fixed day one, features that need to be added later, etc.

20,000 people collectively have a better shot at finding issues than 20 or 200 people.

What game in the last couple years doesn't have a day one patch? It's just a scheduling thing with discs being printed 4-6 weeks prior to the release date. Why wouldn't they have a release day update with that schedule?

Sports games have like 8 or 9 months of development time btw. Not a great situation for the devs.

Magwik

Banned
They should care about fan feedback, especially from the hardcore. The hardcore are the ones who buy an Xbox One just for Halo. If you piss off the hardcore that means not only Halo 5 sells worse, but so does the Xbox One.

I am somewhat certain that most of the casuals who play Halo 4 now will play Titanfall instead of Halo 5 on the Xbox One.

Madness

What game in the last couple years doesn't have a day one patch? It's just a scheduling thing with discs being printed 4-6 weeks prior to the release date. Why wouldn't they have a release day update with that schedule?

Sports games have like 8 or 9 months of development time btw. Not a great situation for the devs.

You're right. But even games like Forza 5, GTA V, have to have like title updates day one or in a week or two to add unfinished features.

I guess this is an argument for digital downloads. I know you like them Steel, and with digital downloads, devs can literally develop longer without worrying about features not making it in time for disc printing.

I mean look at H4, things like the terminals not being in game etc.

We ARE the hardcore crowd. Everyone else is dead.

From a business standpoint, "competitive players" means literally anyone who touches the multiplayer.

BigShow36

CE + 2 + 3 would take high notes from each game meaning that it'd be a high-speed arena shooter focusing on a slighty expansive sandbox and featuring a mix of game settings akin to small vs big team, feature a ranked/social split applied to design philosophy, and likely possess a "fifth element" gameplay feature such as Equipment.

My interpretation of "high notes" are most likely different than what you're imagining. The only real qualm I have here would be the equipment. A new element could work provided it was done properly, although I don't see the need for it.

CE2 would be a slight graphical upgrade and focus on a very concise array of weapons emphasizing map control and substance over style. However, physics are accordingly floaty (which has the potential to result in a "slow as molasses" interpretation in this day and age) and the Pistol would dominate the sandbox just as much as it did in the original.

Not sure what you mean by "floaty" physics. The only complaint about the physics of CE would be that jumping was oddly delayed. I'm not even going to touch the pistol comment as that will get us no where, suffice it to say that if the pistol in this hypothetical "CE 2" interacted with the sandbox in the same manner as CE I'd be very happy.

The bottom line is that my real concern has always been the core balance of MP. I couldn't care less if it's a pistol, BR or DMR that I'm shooting. What I care about is what the weapon does and how it fits in the sandbox. Recent Halo games have been too slow and too easy to land shots in. You fix that and you fix 90% of my issue with the games. It's not that I want "CE 2.0," I just want a Halo game that actually has a deep skill curve and a high skill ceiling.

Mix

"I want a continuation of Halo 3, not Halo Reach 2"
What does that actually mean? It means going back to the core of Halo. It means focusing on Weapons, melee and grenades. Not AAs or Loadouts or Sprint or any of that stuff that has turned all of us die hard Halo fans off of the series since the early Halo: Reach days. We want simple, set run speed, easy to change (via gametypes) gameplay, fun multiplayer that we lose ourselves in and a captivating campaign. Those things are what make Halo fun, not sprint or loadouts or CoD catered mechanics. We want Classic BTB and Classic Team Slayer. We want wacky things to keep us interested that aren't just things like shrinking the player size down.
We want Halo again. Josh Holms said at one point the team built classic halo and scrapped it. Why not redo that and ship it? I promise all you'll get it good things out of it. No one hates classic Halo. That's why the MLG guys love jumping into CE and playing a few dozen games; It's not a nostalgia trip, it's good Halo.
Just give us classic feeling Halo and slap a 5 on the box. I want a continuation of Halo CE, 2, and 3. Not Reach 2 or even 4.5
I want good Halo.

MIMIC

Banned
*haven't played Halo in a long ass time*

Whose bright idea was it to put covenant and forerunner weaponry in SWAT??!!!

*sad Panda*

Hardcore is subjective, define it better and realise in corporate eyes each "type" of gamer is much the same value at the end of the day.

Hardcore as in LAN hyper multiplayer competitive with a regular team? Hardcore as in loves the campaign only and writes fanfiction? Hardcore as in plays every night solo as a random but doesn't care about rank etc? Hardcore as in has played every single Halo but doesn't play the multiplayer everyday but buys DLC occassionally? Hardcore as in buys the books and plays multiplayer? Hardcore as in they play in a Grifball league? Hardcore as in plays small amounts of campaign/multi but buy heaps of toys or collectibles?

Just because you deem yourself as hardcore does not make you more valuable or entitled as a target demographic to game developers.

I do agree with making the multiplayer competitive and using that "hardcore" demographic as your underlining base to then expand upon for the other hardcore or casual demographics.

My interpretation of "high notes" are most likely different than what you're imagining. The only real qualm I have here would be the equipment. A new element could work provided it was done properly, although I don't see the need for it.

Not sure what you mean by "floaty" physics. The only complaint about the physics of CE would be that jumping was oddly delayed. I'm not even going to touch the pistol comment as that will get us no where, suffice it to say that if the pistol in this hypothetical "CE 2" interacted with the sandbox in the same manner as CE I'd be very happy.

The bottom line is that my real concern has always been the core balance of MP. I couldn't care less if it's a pistol, BR or DMR that I'm shooting. What I care about is what the weapon does and how it fits in the sandbox. Recent Halo games have been too slow and too easy to land shots in. You fix that and you fix 90% of my issue with the games. It's not that I want "CE 2.0," I just want a Halo game that actually has a deep skill curve and a high skill ceiling.

Just to put things in perspective, CE has my favorite sandbox in the franchise, pistol included - I personally have no issues with it. Likewise, I don't mind the physics too much, but in this hypothetical, it would have physics near identical to CE; nothing would be made "punchier" or "streamlined." To clarify, 4 probably has my favorite default jump in the series, mostly because of how reactive it is in terms of working well without sending you too vertical or anything.

That being said, you'd have to convince people CE2 isn't "too hard" because redditors don't like anything other than AR starts, or address complaints versus rival shooters - some of the RoosterTeeth dudes have gone on record saying CE nowadays feels like you're wearing moon boots.

So, you'd be Unknown ixi, basically.

FyreWulff

It's always nice to have someone who understands the mechanics behind games around.

The funniest part was the 'we have a problem with a limited number of playlists'

I don't think anybody was exactly dismayed by the 26 playlist limit in Reach. Most of the userbase was saying 'plz no more' around 20

Redford

aka Cabbie
'Reach's engine is 90% hacks made by Bungie to make systems originally implemented in Halo 1 and 2 do things they were never meant to do'

lol. the only systems left from halo 1 and 2 would still be doing the job they needed to do. Reach's engine has a completely new LOD system, doesn't have Halo 1's physics, has a better lighting engine than Halo 2, can handle more draw distance than Halo 3, has an entirely new multiplayer gametype engine.. the tag system didn't need any total rewrites to keep working.

Shit, Halo 1's engine didn't even support bumpmapping bipeds. They could only have bumpmaps on world geometry.

"completely outsourced multiplayer to CA"

We know CA did Dominion and some maps but we also know for a fact CA didn't do the entire thing. CA also released two games while Halo 4 was in development. Don't think they would have had the time if they were entirely co-devving the game.

paraphrasing "once we had Slayer running, we kept running out of script memory"

Uh, the only game script that constantly ran out of memory in Reach was Invasion. Slayer is one of the smallest scripts you can make, even WITH GO/PO hooks implemented. If you think about it, Flag Slayer is Slayer with the entire CTF engine running on top of it.. and that's with Neutral Flag support on top of that, and the 'flaming feet' functionality on top of that. And they ran out of memory after implementing Slayer? Not everything in multiplayer is handled by Megalo, but let's also remember they cut the entire ability to play Elites in multiplayer, which would have given them loads more headroom. They even have the spare memory left -post ship- to add even more weapon skins, which are essentially their own weapons, on top of the existing ones. And more armor. Doesn't sound like 343 is under a memory crunch in the slightest.

GET SHIT ON 343FAG

Madness

Is Dead Rising 2 worth the long download time wait? Never played Dead Rising, is it fun?

Super fun, depends on whether you like those types of games. A lot of people were turned off the by time constraints which is why they removed them for Dead Rising 3.

It's somewhat open world and you can use pretty much anything in the environment. Boss battles happen in the form of "psychopaths" who are certain characters gone mad and have unique ways to fight.

Say you see a couple of chainsaws and something like a kayak paddle. You can craft a new weapon called a paddlesaw that has the chainsaws on both ends to cut through zombie hordes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKuFCJwurMw

Here's a video of the gameplay. Don't blame me for spoilers, I don't think there are any. Just shows what the gameplay is like. Somewhat of a button masher at times.

Enfinit

Is Dead Rising 2 worth the long download time wait? Never played Dead Rising, is it fun?

It's just that: fun. Nothing more, nothing less. The narrative is alright. The gameplay is alright. The game's just fun.

If you have nothing else to do or play, it's a must-download. Well, and it's free so why not.

Booshka

Download Case Zero first, it's an excellent bite sized version of Dead Rising gameplay. Give it some time, try to finish it, maybe even replay it and see if you like it. If you don't then you probably won't like Dead Rising 2, although DR2 has a much more interesting and fun setting.

Top Bottom