• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Dat slick and smooth UI.

Not this sluggish, chunking piece of shit UI based off the Vista OS that the 360 has.

I'll reserve judgement until I see both new platform UI's pull dynamic data like movies or apps. That PS4 UI leak is just a game booting up and not the sluggish apps you speak off.

Solution to put the CE pistol in the next Halo. Have it be the PC version of the pistol.

CE pistol would be fine if a serious range nerf was done and it stayed with the kill times as us e.g. Average vs. fastest possible.

Without a range nerf it would suck. With a range nerf it would have a nice place in the current turbo sandbox. Would not compete at long or extreme ranges against BR or DMR etc but could out do shotguns that miss once or a double BR+melee.

Seems like a good fit to me.

wwm0nkey

CE pistol would be fine if a serious range nerf was done and it stayed with the kill times as us e.g. Average vs. fastest possible.

Without a range nerf it would suck. With a range nerf it would have a nice place in the current turbo sandbox. Would not compete at long or extreme ranges against BR or DMR etc but could out do shotguns that miss once or a double BR+melee.

Seems like a good fit to me.
PC version did have a range nerf as well as delayed hit scan so you had to follow through shots

wwm0nkey

How was it compared to BR at long and melee distances? Good balance?
Well you could not snipe people with it on BG, was about the same range as the BR in 2 I would say. Also all around I would compare it to the Halo 2 br but with the delayed hitscan it feels a bit like Halo 3 BR because you need to lead shots.

Also really like the lack of lunge in CE's melee system.

PC CE pistol was a great balanced weapon.

Well you could not snipe people with it on BG, was about the same range as the BR in 2 I would say. Also all around I would compare it to the Halo 2 br but with the delayed hitscan it feels a bit like Halo 3 BR because you need to lead shots.

Nice, thanks, I must have console CE pistol burned into my brain :)

belushy

Banned
Off-topic, but Project Spark is having another stream tomorrow/today at 7PM EST. This time they are having one of their devs build a tower defense game from scratch, going over everything he is doing w/ explanations. Should be a good stream. I know a few of you have shown interest in it, and the other stream thread isn't getting much replies.

TheOddOne

'Reach's engine is 90% hacks made by Bungie to make systems originally implemented in Halo 1 and 2 do things they were never meant to do'

lol. the only systems left from halo 1 and 2 would still be doing the job they needed to do. Reach's engine has a completely new LOD system, doesn't have Halo 1's physics, has a better lighting engine than Halo 2, can handle more draw distance than Halo 3, has an entirely new multiplayer gametype engine.. the tag system didn't need any total rewrites to keep working.

Shit, Halo 1's engine didn't even support bumpmapping bipeds. They could only have bumpmaps on world geometry.

"completely outsourced multiplayer to CA"

We know CA did Dominion and some maps but we also know for a fact CA didn't do the entire thing. CA also released two games while Halo 4 was in development. Don't think they would have had the time if they were entirely co-devving the game.

paraphrasing "once we had Slayer running, we kept running out of script memory"

Uh, the only game script that constantly ran out of memory in Reach was Invasion. Slayer is one of the smallest scripts you can make, even WITH GO/PO hooks implemented. If you think about it, Flag Slayer is Slayer with the entire CTF engine running on top of it.. and that's with Neutral Flag support on top of that, and the 'flaming feet' functionality on top of that. And they ran out of memory after implementing Slayer? Not everything in multiplayer is handled by Megalo, but let's also remember they cut the entire ability to play Elites in multiplayer, which would have given them loads more headroom. They even have the spare memory left -post ship- to add even more weapon skins, which are essentially their own weapons, on top of the existing ones. And more armor. Doesn't sound like 343 is under a memory crunch in the slightest.
Bawse.

From another forum where the photoshop thread rule was only allowed to remove one letter. It had me laughing for a bit.

Sj91OYd.jpg

Madness

Same. I liked the fact there was really no lunge to the melee and was just a straightforward punch to anyone in front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lww2dO-Pp4U

What is this? I'm sure people were saying all this kind of stuff before Halo 4 was released. Calling Halo 4 the make or break for the Halo franchise and all that stuff, now Halo 5/One is being called that. I'm sensing a cycle starting.

Tweeted it at 343 because they had the misfortune of tweeting just after I tweeted the video out.

LOL it's so sad and yet, incredibly funny to watch people who grew with Halo multiplayer on 2/3 see their games get wrecked like CE "diehards" did with Halo 2.

Every Halo game is make or break. Every Halo game has been worse than the last. Every Halo game we talk a lot of crap about because of the wasted potential and poor decisions that should have been obvious with the years of knowledge.

Yet.. deep down we all cling to that glimmer of hope that Halo will be in the spotlight once again. We even go as far as to make excuses about the current Halo's shortcomings in order to sustain the little faith we have in a high quality Halo experience that is unquestionably better than its predecessor.

Why do we do this?
Because we're battered Halo fans.

Madness

Heh, I'm watching stargate sg1 and the tollan homeworld is the UNSC academy from forward unto dawn

Good old Simon Fraser University up Burnaby Mountain in BC... I did my undergrad there.

We get a lot of films up there because it's a unique location. Off the top of my head, Agent Cody Banks, The Day the Earth Stood Still, the new Underworld movie etc.

It's hilarious seeing Jackals sniping from the main library on campus in FuD.

Edit: I think Duji currently goes there as well, I remember he said he won a tournament there.

Fuchsdh

Good old Simon Fraser University up Burnaby Mountain in BC... I did my undergrad there.

We get a lot of films up there because it's a unique location. Off the top of my head, Agent Cody Banks, The Day the Earth Stood Still, the new Underworld movie etc.

It's hilarious seeing Jackals sniping from the main library on campus in FuD.

Edit: I think Duji currently goes there as well, I remember he said he won a tournament there.

Yeah it's gotten to the comical level of overuse, like every time you see the same peak in Vasquez Rocks.

Madness

Yeah it's gotten to the comical level of overuse, like every time you see the same peak in Vasquez Rocks.

Yeah. Right away at the start of FuD when they show the windmill looking things and then show Corbulo Academy etc. I was like wtf, that's SFU.

I think the campus itself is beautiful and it's architecture is suited perfectly for military or futuristic type films. In Cody Banks, they made it the CIA building, in day the earth stood still, they turned it into huge military building, in Underworld it became the Antigen building. So many films and shows are filmed here in the lower mainland it's probably just convenient. But they definitely overuse the AQ and the steps.

Had I known they were filming though, I'd definitely have driven up and tried to crash the set. Could've met Frankie etc.

Fuchsdh

Yeah. Right away at the start of FuD when they show the windmill looking things and then show Corbulo Academy etc. I was like wtf, that's SFU.

I think the campus itself is beautiful and it's architecture is suited perfectly for military or futuristic type films. In Cody Banks, they made it the CIA building, in day the earth stood still, they turned it into huge military building, in Underworld it became the Antigen building. So many films and shows are filmed here in the lower mainland it's probably just convenient. But they definitely overuse the AQ and the steps.

Had I known they were filming though, I'd definitely have driven up and tried to crash the set. Could've met Frankie etc.
If I were the dean or whatever I'd ask them to leave part of their production installed when they left, so when someone else isn't shooting you could have the Corbulo statue just chilling on the quad next to the SG-1 stuff and other sci-fi dressing. Would be a lot of fun.

Madness

If I were the dean or whatever I'd ask them to leave part of their production installed when they left, so when someone else isn't shooting you could have the Corbulo statue just chilling on the quad next to the SG-1 stuff and other sci-fi dressing. Would be a lot of fun.

You're right. I wonder if they donate some props to say the film/theatre department or something.

It was funny though seeing they sort of copied the Terry Fox statue that is there and made a copy Corbulo statue somewhat lol.

We lose Eric Nylund and get Karen Travis...
I like her Gears novels she wrote but the Kilo 5 makes me cray inside.

At least Greg Bear will still be writing more since the Forerunner Trilogy is a Saga now.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
completely unrelated to anything discussed recently, my boss let me check out his Bose noise cancelling headphones while I'm doing a bunch of mindless data entry-type housekeeping.

I'm listening to the Halo 4 OST, and it's like I've never heard it before. Man, these things are rad and holy crap, this soundtrack is full of texture and stuff I'd never heard before.

Fuchsdh

completely unrelated to anything discussed recently, my boss let me check out his Bose noise cancelling headphones while I'm doing a bunch of mindless data entry-type housekeeping.

I'm listening to the Halo 4 OST, and it's like I've never heard it before. Man, these things are rad and holy crap, this soundtrack is full of texture and stuff I'd never heard before.

One plus on Davidge's electronic stuff I give it over O'Donnell is he's much more interested in layering sounds together. His electronic sections have a bit more depth to them, I think.

m23

There's supposed to be a big game announcement at Gamescom by Microsoft and they keep saying how it will be a huge surprise. So maybe.

All I heard of was a "unique" exclusive is to be announced and Halo doesn't scream unique anymore.

I'm still going with a Palmer spinoff by CA. Spartan Ops team may have helped after season 1 ended.
Its looking more and more that way.
• Halo: Infinity: SpOps
• Spartan Assault
• Halo: Initiation Comic

In the Epilogue of Spartan Ops, Dr. Halsey is a hostage under Jul M'dama & Storm Faction with half of the Janus Key. And the other half is in the hands of ONI & The Unsc.

1. Whether Catherine & Jul work together (temporarily) to uncover Forerunner secrets. 2. Staging an act to fool Jul & Storm. Or Both.

"My work SAVED Humanity"

Wondering if the first Prologue Chapter of this New Halo XB1 begins on Earth while telling another side story (Halo 2).

I'm still going with a Palmer spinoff by CA. Spartan Ops team may have helped after season 1 ended.

It seems likely. I imagine the plot of Spartan Ops Season 2 was morphed into another medium since they said they had a roadmap planned for the future of the story. I hope it doesn't put too strong of a focus on Palmer, or if it does I hope they basically re-imagine her character (and the Spartan IVs).

If so, I imagine it will be ODST style- standalone SP with Halo 4 MP + new MP expansions. Hell, maybe even firefight, haha.

Mix

Its looking more and more that way.
• Halo: Infinity: SpOps
• Spartan Assault
• Halo: Initiation Comic

In the Epilogue of Spartan Ops, Dr. Halsey is a hostage under Jul M'dama & Storm Faction with half of the Janus Key. And the other half is in the hands of ONI & The Unsc.

1. Whether Catherine & Jul work together (temporarily) to uncover Forerunner secrets. 2. Staging an act to fool Jul & Storm. Or Both.

"My work SAVED Humanity"

Wondering if the first Prologue Chapter of this New Halo XB1 begins on Earth while telling another side story (Halo 2).

That could be very interesting. I'd love to see some sort of ODST style game where you run after Halsey as BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE TEAM!!!

TheOddOne

BUT IF MASTER CHIEF WAS ALL IN THE REVEAL TRAILER IN PONCHO, ON A MAYBE ARK, WITH FORERUNNER BIRD, HOW CAN THIS BE SPIN-OFF.

HOW CAN THIS BE.

HOW.

CRIMSON.

I want a Covenant spinoff where you're the assassin charged with killing Sarah Palmer.

Holy shit, all jokes aside that would be an amazing game. Even if Palmer survives. Imagine ODST but with Elites that are still slightly friendly towards the UNSC or something.. and playing as or alongside the Arbiter.

I want Halo 5 to feature some ex Covenant species working alongside the UNSC (even if we are fighting against other of the same species as well).

I just want a Halo game that doesn't have so many of the weird narrative choices 343 has made since Halo 4. Recapture that sense of adventure, and make Spartans tolerable.. Also, don't ignore the alliance formed in Halo 3 with Elites and other species. I want that epic sci fi space opera feel back with the story.. lets see these alien cultures thriving, interacting, fighting, rising, falling, etc. The Halo universe has a ton of potential, and I really want 343 to tap into it.

Top Bottom