• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

CyReN

MfWkiYY.png

How does this pitching a text achievement work? I sat in one spot for over two minutes and didn't get it.

Yep I've tried it like 7 times. Literally not moving at all, crouching, staying in a spot and getting kills (it does say "effectively"), etc. It won't work.

Make sure you don't move, period. You don't have to be crouched. Just make sure your sticks are reset and just leave your controller alone for what will feel like the longest minute or so of your life. Then pick it up and continue.

......... Are 343 beyond parody now?

J10

Banned
Because the game is online only they want to inform people that you won't be directly fucked with by other players unless you actively choose to engage with them.

wwm0nkey

What does that mean PVP never forced on you? Since when is multiplayer ever forced on someone in Halo? Or will it be like me and my 'fireteam' are just randomly scouting some area and another fireteam comes and challenges us?

In MMOs there are PVP areas that are sometimes not optional (though there is usually a choice in PvE only servers)

Nebula

A video of the week would be nice to have in the bulletin. Get some of those people who still upload Halo content a bit more exposure even if it is a silly clip or game from their channel.

Does Waypoint have groups yet?

Mix

WHAT THE FUCK. I sat down to buy the Champion's Bundle and I only have 760 MS points. Are you fucking serious?

Nebula

Some guy is blasting that Halo dubstep down his mic. I'm laughing at the other guy telling him to turn it off cause he wants to listen to One Direction. This is great.

m23

What does that mean PVP never forced on you? Since when is multiplayer ever forced on someone in Halo? Or will it be like me and my 'fireteam' are just randomly scouting some area and another fireteam comes and challenges us?

I guess that's what it seems like. Doesn't look like it's going to be like a traditional multiplayer system like Halo/COD. I don't know about this.

Nebula

I guess that's what it seems like. Doesn't look like it's going to be like a traditional multiplayer system like Halo/COD. I don't know about this.

I thought it meant that you wouldn't be forced to fight other players over resources in the world or something like that. PVP was never forced on you in Halo, you have the choice to go and play against other people. Not sure where that's being drawn from.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Destiny is a wide open MMOFPS basically. I think "not being forced" means you won't just stumble into other players and be forced to fight them. I take it as meaning MP is separate from the main game.

m23

I don't want to have to go travel to a certain "world" and run up to people and challenge them to a fight. I just want a simple lobby system similar to what we have with other games.

We'll know in a couple hours I guess. Too bad I'm stuck at work and won't be able to watch the vidoc until later tonight.

I don't want to have to go travel to a certain "world" and run up to people and challenge them to a fight. I just want a simple lobby system similar to what we have with other games.

We'll know in a couple hours I guess. Too bad I'm stuck at work and won't be able to watch the vidoc until later tonight.
There's very little on it in the Vidoc, more of just a mention and some gameplay apparently.

It'll probably be a button press away, I doubt you travel in game much.

Mix

So it turns out Jet Pack and Survivor are a ridiculously OP combo.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I can't believe that 343 would just through these last two perks in. It almost feels like a final Fuck you to Halo 4's playerbase. I hope they can rectify it with Halo 5

That doesn't surprise me at all. I can't believe that 343 would just through these last two perks in.
It is suprising to me that they kept them in. Yes, the work was probably already done [skipping over the "how were these allowed to leave the white board" issue], but why not take them out of the release?

Feel it was too small otherwise?

Nebula

I should have seen Halo 4 for what it is the moment Jet Pack was announced/shown in gameplay. Blinded by hype, and blinded by hope. Never again.

I played a few games today though. I got a laugh out of the game which is more than I usually get. I think I'll end my Halo 4 experience on that. Gonna sell it tomorrow and look for a new monitor for my PC.

I'm also considering selling my Xbox if I get the job I'm doing a trial for. Most likely going PC until I'm sure the PS4 has no launch issues and I have the money to cover the cost. Oh and I'll probably sell my PVR before Xbone and PS4 capture/streaming destroy the market for them.

DeadNames

Banned
Is anyone else not that shocked by Destiny? It just seems like another "open world, persistent online co-op game". Not to mention the more or less boring ADS gameplay.

Bungie are really backing Sony with this. Looks fantastic. Drop in multiplayer Co-Op and Competitive PVP. I'm liking how this looks and sounds.

Whenever someone says "PvP", I shudder a bit. I hope the adverserial multiplayer in Destiny will be similar in structure to traditional Halo multiplayer. I don't think Guardians are just going to be fighting each other out in the world. It's not that the term is incorrect or anything, just that it carries a heavy MMORPG connotation that is usually structured very differently.

Is anyone else not that shocked by Destiny? It just seems like another "open world, persistent online co-op game". Not to mention the more or less boring ADS gameplay.
It is an action game made by Bungie. It looks to be very similar in function to Halo--that means rich physical simulation and gameplay that is more than just shooting. And ADS isn't really different from zoom if the player moves at the same speed, which appears to be the case in Destiny. It's just a different aesthetic. Firing from the hip has always been effective but less accurate in Halo, and they made a point to demonstrate it as viable in the E3 demo.

Nebula

ADS seems more optional than anything I've seen in recent ADS based FPS games and I've been waiting for a more Co-Op based game to play that isn't as repetitive sounding as Borderlands. This fills that role quite nicely.

Whenever someone says "PvP", I shudder a bit. I hope the adverserial multiplayer in Destiny will be similar in structure to traditional Halo multiplayer. I don't think Guardians are just going to be fighting each other out in the world. It's not that the term is incorrect or anything, just that it carries a heavy MMORPG connotation that is usually structured very differently.

It is an action game. And ADS isn't really different from zoom if the player moves at the same speed, which appears to be the case in Destiny.

Well with it having such a heavy focus on Co-Op gameplay, I think it will save a lot of confusion if we called the competitive side of things PVP. It saves me, and others who decide to use PVP, having to explain that competitive isn't leaderboards for who killed the most aliens or people fighting for resources/loot.

Trey

I'm bothered by how underwhelmed I am so far. I keep waiting for the hype to pick up but it's not. It looks so...sterile. No charm. Just the husk of Halo thrown into a new world with no gameplay innovations (actually only step backs so far; ADS). I'm interested in how the space magic will work, though.

But I'm confident it'll differentiate itself from Borderlands gameplay wise before long. I probably just need to get my hands on it.

Fuchsdh

ADS doesn't really bother me as long as you can be accurate without it (Bioshock Infinite did a good job of this IMO.) I just don't want it in Halo because its anathema to the entire balance of gunplay.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Uh, what other MMO-FPS games have we had in the past few years? "Another" doesn't seem to fit here. This looks like Borderlands x100, plus online all the time.

EDIT: ADS a step back? Now I've seen everything. Loving Halo's non ADS style play is one thing, but other mechanics aren't a step back just because you don't like them as well.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

It looks like fun, but yeah, the gameplay doesn't seem that great. I liked Borderlands, though, so I'll probably like this.

Nebula

Uh, what other MMO-FPS games have we had in the past few years? "Another" doesn't seem to fit here. This looks like Borderlands x100, plus online all the time.

EDIT: ADS a step back? Now I've seen everything. Loving Halo's non ADS style play is one thing, but other mechanics aren't a step back just because you don't like them as well.

The issue is that people can't help but bring up Halo because Bungie are so intertwined with the name and franchise. People just need to remember that Bungie have moved on, and that it's up to 343 to deliver a good Halo. Bungie shouldn't have to carry that weight anymore.

DeadNames

Banned

Did you watch E3? A lot of the games were MMOFPS.

ADS is a step back because they didn't try to innovate the gameplay (from what we've seen). Titanfall took a step in the right direction adding jetpacks and freerunning and stuff. It may have ADS, but at least there is another force in the metagame there.

Edit: And besides, I didn't even mean MMOFPS. It seems the preferred genre of game has shifted to MOBAs and always online (lol) co-op.

Yeah, this. I mean I have no doubt that it'll sell trillions, but the whole thing screams homogenous to me. Like they're trying to do Halo again, basically. I'm not a huge fan of their whole "space renaissance" art style they've used here and Marathon and whatnot either.

Top Bottom