• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Trey

EDIT: ADS a step back? Now I've seen everything. Loving Halo's non ADS style play is one thing, but other mechanics aren't a step back just because you don't like them as well.

I find the mechanic a step back in the context of what I like about Destiny's predecessor and in how closely the gameplay reminds me of said predecessor, aside from the space magic and ADS.

Well with it having such a heavy focus on Co-Op gameplay, I think it will save a lot of confusion if we called the competitive side of things PVP. It saves me, and others who decide to use PVP, having to explain that competitive isn't leaderboards for who killed the most aliens or people fighting for resources/loot.
Like I said, it's not incorrect, just makes me...uncomfortable. I like the term adverserial multiplayer, because it doesn't evoke stigmas of MMORPGs. I want the adverserial multiplayer in Destiny to be more like Halo than Halo 4. When you have a successor like Halo 4, the world needs a spiritual successor.

Trey

Like I said, it's not incorrect, just makes me...uncomfortable. I like the term adverserial multiplayer, because it doesn't evoke stigmas of MMORPGs. I want the adverserial multiplayer in Destiny to be more like Halo than Halo 4. When you have a successor like Halo 4, the world needs a spiritual successor.

Halo only needs 343 to get their shit together. Nebula is right: Bungie shouldn't be trying to carry that torch any more. But from what I've seen of Destiny, they aren't quite evolving from the precedent set by Halo.

But short glimpses of the game does not make for a good impression. The core gameplay may not be impressing me currently but there is still much time.

Nebula

Did you watch E3? A lot of the games were MMOFPS.

ADS is a step back because they didn't try to innovate the gameplay (from what we've seen). Titanfall took a step in the right direction adding jetpacks and freerunning and stuff. It may have ADS, but at least there is another force in the metagame there.

Edit: And besides, I didn't even mean MMOFPS. It seems the preferred genre of game has shifted to MOBAs and always online (lol) co-op.

Nope. Nuh uh. Sorry.

Think my post at the top covers this.

Trey

The multiplayer in Destiny looks worse than Halo 4's. Dat magic randomness.

I'm holding out reservations on this. AAs were half baked in Halo Reach and 4. I always felt they could be implemented into arena gameplay in interesting ways if built from the ground up with them in mind.

AA's/Magic don't work for competitive arena shooters. They just don't.

The closest they've ever came to getting it right was equipment in Halo 3. Had they just tweaked that slightly we could've been okay.

But then 343 gave us sprint, loadouts, flinch, perks and AA's

DeadNames

Banned

The closest they've ever came to getting it right was equipment in Halo 3. Had they just tweaked that slightly we could've been okay.

To be honest they don't work in any competitive mode. Playing Reach casually was frustrating because of bullshit like armor lock.

Can't wait to almost kill a guy then have him throw a super bomb at me and instagib me.

Newt

To be honest they don't work in any competitive mode. Playing Reach casually was frustrating because of bullshit like armor lock.

Can't wait to almost kill a guy then have him throw a super bomb at me and instagib me.
The biggest problem with it was that your shield regenerated while you were in it, so you could come of it at like half shields.

daedalius

Sage still carrying the torch at bungie as a lead gameplay designer.

Watch out for dat 100% bloom cat and mouse gameplay + space magic

heckfu

Banned
Yeah, this. I mean I have no doubt that it'll sell trillions, but the whole thing screams homogenous to me. Like they're trying to do Halo again, basically. I'm not a huge fan of their whole "space renaissance" art style they've used here and Marathon and whatnot either.

if only they could make a game based off a weapon called a gravity gauntlet...now that's what i call gaming!

How much of the ViDoc was supposedly adverserial gameplay? Do you think they will just pour all of the co-operative game mechanics and a bunch of players into a box?

Newt

How much of the ViDoc was supposedly adverserial gameplay? Do you think they will just pour all of the co-operative game mechanics and a bunch of players into a box?
That's what it looks like. If they intended to balance the competitive mode well, they wouldn't include the magic.

Trey

Competitive games can be distilled to simple basic components that if applied to all the discrete systems of the game, the resulting product would be competitively viable. The reason AAs suck is because there is nothing you can do about them - no way to account for them. They change the rule set in a manner which breaks the ethos of the game being played.

Destiny looks pretty meh.

I guess Reach AA's where the test bed for the magic system

Sage talking about bottling up lightning for the second time when he wasnt even at Bungie when they managed to bottle lightening is pretty funny.

Newt

Destiny looks pretty meh.

I guess Reach AA's where the test bed for the magic system

Sage talking about bottling up lightning for the second time when he wasnt even at Bungie when they managed to bottle lightening is pretty funny.
That's a nice franchise you have there...shame if something were to happen to it...

Nowise10

The multiplayer in Destiny looks worse than Halo 4's. Dat magic randomness.

This comment is completely ridiculous, considering they didn't show any multiplayer footage longer then 3 seconds.

They hinted at it, and in the future I am highly assuming their will be a Vidoc focused entirely on multiplayer. Then you can write that comment if you wish.

Nebula

The point everyone here is missing is that we don't even know what Bungie is going for with the multiplayer. We really should wait, because basing a bunch of arguments and points on 3 seconds of footage months before release is silly.

Not saying we shouldn't discuss what direction it could be going however.

Beaten by Milhouse of all people.

Defect

This comment is completely ridiculous, considering they didn't show any multiplayer footage longer then 3 seconds.

They hinted at it, and in the future I am highly assuming their will be a Vidoc focused entirely on multiplayer. Then you can write that comment if you wish.
From what I have seen, they showed their AA equivalent and it looks extremely unbalanced. Plus there is sprint and Ads. Yeah, I don't have to see more.

I don't know what I expected. Their last game was Reach after all.

IHaveIce

Banned
I was the one at gamescom who said "fucking no" when I saw Sage.

But I'll keep my judgement off. I don't expect a new Halo style of multiplayer gameplay.

The fuck did ye expect? Sage to be fired?
Shadowrun may have been balanced, but if we're making a comparison here it should probably be a comparison to Reach.
Only mentioned as a counter to your leap.

It's a gameplay mode we've seen seconds of. Seconds.
No one is going to forget Reach's failings, but to the throw the mode under the bus already is foolish.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
From what I have seen, they showed their AA equivalent and it looks extremely unbalanced. Plus there is sprint and Ads. Yeah, I don't have to see more.

I don't know what I expected. Their last game was Reach after all.

Writing the game off after 3 seconds of multiplayer footage.

i9d3KOpCTqgk5.gif

BigShow36

The point everyone here is missing is that we don't even know what Bungie is going for with the multiplayer. We really should wait, because basing a bunch of arguments and points on 3 seconds of footage months before release is silly.

Not saying we shouldn't discuss what direction it could be going however.

My thought is that this Bungie team took the most competitive, balanced console FPS of all time and turned it into shit. I don't care if the game's called Destiny, the MP is going to be the same garbgage they've been ruining Halo with.

They've stated their philosphy, we've seen it in action and that's really all we need to know. The only way Destiny is "competitive" or balanced is going to be through unintentional errors.

m23

Holy shit Xbox One and PS4 playable at Fanexpo Toronto. Wondering if I should go....lines are my only concern.

Defect

Writing the game off after 3 seconds of multiplayer footage.

i9d3KOpCTqgk5.gif

I gave Reach a chance after they showed it's multiplayer. It sucked.

I gave Halo 4 a chance after all the garbage they showed. It sucked.

I am going to buy Destiny for it's Campaign/Co-op, not it's multiplayer.

heckfu

Banned
I gave Reach a chance after they showed it's multiplayer. It sucked.

I gave Halo 4 a chance after all the garbage they showed. It sucked.

I am going to buy Destiny for it's Campaign/Co-op, not it's multiplayer.

2 of these games are halo games.

1 is made by a different developer.

The third is a brand new game.

gg kid.

Defect

2 of these games are halo games.

1 is made by a different developer.

The third is a brand new game.

gg kid.
Who cares if it's a different game? My point was that I don't have to wait to see more to know that I won't enjoy it. I already hate games with ADS so adding in randomness isn't appealing.

Is anyone else not that shocked by Destiny? It just seems like another "open world, persistent online co-op game". Not to mention the more or less boring ADS gameplay.

I am going to get it but this isn't the alt Halo experience. This is Borderlands, almost identical with shared public events. Doesn't mean it won't be good but it's not like there isn't anything out there like it.

heckfu

Banned
Who cares if it's a different game?

is this a real statement? who cares if it's a different game? i literally laughed out loud for a quick second.

and i think duncan said he was doing the destiny OT a while back, may wanna check with him.

Speaking of Halo, Never forget needs to be in the next game. I don't care which version. The soundtrack was also a part of the campaign being what it was. It was intentionally alien.

FyreWulff

Got something stuck in my head the past couple of days. Remembered that a lot of Forgers have this problem:

- Make a map
- 3 days/weeks pass. Damnit. Messed up something, or need to change the description. Upload new version.
- ... wait, now everyone is pointed at the old file, instead of the updated file. Can't always change the file share link on old posts. Userbase is split now. And the files have been tag-bombed into oblivion, good luck relying on that. Shit, can't even remember all the places the link was posted at.

So I'm working on a Forge map URL not-shortener. Forgers can make a link. They post the link. They can then later change where this link points to in the link editor. It's locked to Halo Waypoint file share links, so you can't make the URL point to AwesomeMap and then switch it to a shock site later on or something like that. You can only change it from one Halo item to another.

I'll need to test this though, so just click on these links until my server blows up.

http://ftzulu.com/forgelink/17 - should go to "Super Cragmire"
http://ftzulu.com/forgelink/33910 - should go to "Z Fighting" by Pete the duck

there's no point into making it a full on URL shortener because twitter converts all links to t.co links anyway, even if they're already short.

launch features:

- make links
- change links

future features i'm planning:
- some sort of basic stats? hit counter, mostly.
- password protected links. because i can. (ie you could send a link to early testers, then remove it later for public release, without having to change your release post at all. i dunno. someone will come up with a clever use of this)
- file set functionality. as far as I can tell, Halo 4 still doesn't have file sets on Waypoint. So you will be able to change a forgelink to be a file set, and it'll show the group of files somehow (thinking on how I should do this in a way that will work on both desktop and mobile)

Defect

is this a real statement? who cares if it's a different game? i literally laughed out loud for a quick second.

I don't see the problem. Show me the multiplayer for Ghosts, Killzone, etc etc and I'll say the same thing.

I'm not saying "Lol it's not Halo so it's bad.".

Okay I'm done now.

Risen

I already hate games with ADS so adding in randomness isn't appealing.

Are you positive you know the definition of randomness? I mean look - I think there is very little chance there is a well balanced competitive multi-player offering in Destiny giving the changes in game design by Bungie since CE... but at least have a well reasoned take as to why you think the game will be bad.

Top Bottom