• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Computer

Fuck, next two games for gold are Magic and Rainbow Six Vegas.

Looks like they won't give us Halo 3 till well after XbOne launch so that they don't have to worry about playlist updates/consolidation.

I don't think I ever beat Rainbow Six Vegas. Was stuck at some part on the last Dam level. Multiplayer was decent at the time though.

I believe they are waiting because 343 would be completely embarrassed if Halo 3 went to the top of to charts and people stopped playing their vision.

malfcn

I am a sucker for characters in cloaks. Thought the Chief looked cool, so did Megatron in Dark of the Moon. Curious what the avatar will look like.

I am a sucker for characters in cloaks. Thought the Chief looked cool, so did Megatron in Dark of the Moon. Curious what the avatar will look like.

I know that feeling. Most recently for me would be Elysium, which was a flawed movie, but Kruger was fantastic (in part thanks to his cloak).

xQvUBIN.jpg

Finally got to play Titanfall today, first impressions are pretty spectacular. I think I've seen everything else I wanted to see at this show so its Titanfall on repeat for the next 2 days.

Not the same kind of ordnance, though. It seems like a loadout ability, not a killstreak type thing.
Hopefully. That word still gives a bad taste in my mouth.

It's just the ability that's tied to RB for your Titan, different Titan's have different ones.

There are no killstreaks/scorestreaks in Titanfall (at least not in the builds they have showed). Titans are ready to call in based on a static timer.

Played it today, first impression is VERY strong. Dat player movement makes for a game unlike what's on the market today.

Nowise10

Yo who at 343 thought Ragnarok was a good map to put into Halo 4. Probably is one of the worst maps in the game, even beating Complex. You cant expect a map from 2007, on an entirely different game, with different gameplay, to work with Halo 4.

Kibbles

Yo who at 343 thought Ragnarok was a good map to put into Halo 4. Probably is one of the worst maps in the game, even beating Complex. You cant expect a map from 2007, on an entirely different game, with different gameplay, to work with Halo 4.

The mantis and infinity slayer is what really ruins it

Nowise10

The mantis and infinity slayer is what really ruins it

The Mantis, The Active Camo encouragement, the Infinity Slayer, the Spartan Laser spawning every minute, the Jetpack, the SAW.

I was actually having a good time tonight with my buddy in CTF, but we just played a match on Ragnarok and it honestly made us both get off for the night. It was terrible and not fun at all with way to much issues. 70% of the team was active camo, which is just frustrating enough, with the regular sniper camo guy with his ammo perk on to give them 50% more bullets, and the camo DMR guy. Then we get to the base a person is defending it with a SAW, and in such a small area you literally cant do shit except maybe hard-light shield on the person. Then combined with everything else it was just terrible. The map doesn't work at all with Halo 4.

I mean, You think Hemorrhage in Halo;Reach is a bad remake because you now have a DMR that can shoot across map, plus with abilities? I think Ragnarok just puts it too an amazing new level.

Nebula

HitScan and the DMR ruin Ragnarok. The Mantis plays a huge part in it as well. Vehicles being weak and the Plasma Pistol w/ 2 Stickies also play a part.

Any BTB map with long sight lines and a dominant high space is screwed.

TheOddOne

It's just the ability that's tied to RB for your Titan, different Titan's have different ones.

There are no killstreaks/scorestreaks in Titanfall (at least not in the builds they have showed). Titans are ready to call in based on a static timer.

Played it today, first impression is VERY strong. Dat player movement makes for a game unlike what's on the market today.
Cool! I trust the Steely.

daedalius

How CoD are the kill-times?

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Computer

I haven't played Halo in months longest I have ever went without playing Halo in 7 years. Last time I played Ragnarok the saw spawned none stop. 343 gave it a buff so that it is a power weapon and yet it spawns on the map as if it is a BR. Add this with everything else that fucks up the game like spawning with plasma pistols and plasma nades Halo 4 is a complete mess. People that make FPS games for a living should have a better concept of how to design a balanced shooter. Common sense.

Probably one of those people who thought it was a good or even fun map back in Halo 3.

WOAT-tier Big Team map ever since Valhalla

Omni

I still remember pre-release where everyone was listing reasons why Valhalla wouldn't work in Halo 4, even before we knew that it was coming back.

smh

I want to play some Halo... but I haven't played Halo 4 since May 25th. Almost tempted to give it another go

If we've learned anything from Halo 4 it's that we can always trust short early playtime of unfinished games at video game conventions.

Duji

Does the aim assist feel as strong as COD? Is the hip fire like COD or more accurate? Is the recoil kick-center (eg returns to starting position) or real recoil? How useful is strafing? Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
People thinking Halo 3 will go to the top of the Live charts just because a free downloadable version comes out are naieve.

Bump in population? Sure. Unseating Cod or even the lowly population of Halo 4? Not likely. Although the Halo 4 part has more chance of happening.

Omni

People thinking Halo 3 will go to the top of the Live charts just because a free downloadable version comes out are naieve.

Bump in population? Sure. Unseating Cod or even the lowly population of Halo 4? Not likely. Although the Halo 4 part has more chance of happening.

Why wouldn't it? Assassin's Creed overtook Halo 4 and Fable got close. I don't see why Halo 3 couldn't (Overtake H4, not beat CoD). Have we seen the charts since Crackdown was released?

It WILL beat Halo 4, that's all but a fact now. Why do you think they are so hesitant to make it free?

Because they don't want a 6 year old game beating their newest iteration that is less than a year old, in terms of online population. It's embarrassing.

BTW, does any one know when the 343 panel is being streamed today? And will it be on Twitch?

It WILL beat Halo 4, that's all but a fact now. Why do you think they are so hesitant to make it free?

Because they don't want a 6 year old game beating their newest iteration that is less than a year old, in terms of online population. It's embarrassing.

BTW, does any one know when the 343 panel is being streamed today? And will it be on Twitch?

Cyclone doesn't love halo, he loves 343's halo, apparently. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering the wet shart of mediocrity that we know as Reach being their swan song.

That being said, I'm kind of disappointed Marty waited to attempt some real, classical-sounding compositions until Destiny. Reach's OST is the most impressive Halo score by a country mile, technically speaking. A large majority of the stuff (even strings) was synthesized using some of the lower-grade software instruments in the "god tier" category compared to, say, a dedicated string ensemble series that runs for about $399, which is kind of a ridiculously neat accomplishment in itself. That being said, it would have been fun to hear some Halo-themed stuff done by a live orchestra...

Then again, I guess we did get Legends / Anniversary / Halo 4 back-to-back-to-back and as a result most of the core melodies have been orchestrated now. Hmmm. Frankie, was that intentional? Giving us most of the Halo stuff orchestrated to get them out of the way for Davidge's new stuff?

It will be top 5 no questions asked. Fable 3 got to like #8 or something.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I think it can break 30k.

How CoD are the kill-times?
The kill times for Pilots is pretty damn quick. Again though, the COD comparison isn't a good because the elements of the game make for combat and firefights that are very different from COD.
Does the aim assist feel as strong as COD? Is the hip fire like COD or more accurate? Is the recoil kick-center (eg returns to starting position) or real recoil? How useful is strafing? Answers would be greatly appreciated.
-Aiming in general feels fast and smooth. I'm not sure if I would declare the aim assist different, but it feels more difficult to shoot people simply because the speed of the players is very quick.
-Not sure, used hip fire close up on guys a few times, it was effective. Didn't try hip fire from any significant difference.
-Not sure about the recoil model.
-Yeah you can strafe, movement is pretty quick in all directions. Of course, you're more likely to avoid fire by just being on the move, it's all about using player movement to flank your opponents and such.

Again, I'd like to emphasize these are first impressions of a game in pre-alpha, but I really liked what I played.

Ramirez

Finally got to play Titanfall today, first impressions are pretty spectacular. I think I've seen everything else I wanted to see at this show so its Titanfall on repeat for the next 2 days.

This pleases me, Titan Fall is Brink done right, Splash Damage didn't have near the support nor budget though, so it's unfair to call them out. It is strange seeing people act as if MP Campaign and parkour is a new thing when Brink did it just a couple years ago. Whatever, I knew that game had promise, happy to see it fully realized by someone at least.

Omni

>Twitch feed video of Forza V is horribly compressed
>People start complaining about graphics (namely the aliasing)
>Conspiracies start about game not running on X1 - even though it was proved to be

I'm done.
Ari-Gold-Anger-Throws-Phone-Against-Wall-Entourage.gif

Duji

The kill times for Pilots is pretty damn quick. Again though, the COD comparison isn't a good because the elements of the game make for combat and firefights that are very different from COD.

-Aiming in general feels fast and smooth. I'm not sure if I would declare the aim assist different, but it feels more difficult to shoot people simply because the speed of the players is very quick.
-Not sure, used hip fire close up on guys a few times, it was effective. Didn't try hip fire from any significant difference.
-Not sure about the recoil model.
-Yeah you can strafe, movement is pretty quick in all directions. Of course, you're more likely to avoid fire by just being on the move, it's all about using player movement to flank your opponents and such.

Again, I'd like to emphasize these are first impressions of a game in pre-alpha, but I really liked what I played.

Awesome, thanks. It sounds like it's harder to land shots in Titanfall compared to CoD.

Nebula

You know when you watch a Montage and feel really inspired by it, then you go and play the game to try and achieve something similar to what you just witnessed in that Montage?

Yeah, I don't get that with Halo 4 montages. First game I ever had this happen with as well. I mean I never played Counter Strike in my life but I saw a montage and then played the Xbox version after because I felt inspired.

Top Bottom