• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Nah, the tourney itself was good. And I know you're a volunteer. But you don't have to market the game to us. It took a year of patches, tweaks, DLC, whining, a million mistakes, and plenty of pain to get to this point. A couple good matches doesn't make me want to resub to xbl or buy an xbone.

I'm not marketing the game, it's how I personally feel about Halo 4. Plus I'm a natural optimist so HaloGAF/Internet and I don't see eye to eye very often ;)

Computer

Idc that Halo 4 sucks. As a 10 year Halo fan boy I am just happy to see Halo back in the spotlight like it was tonight. Its been depressing being a Halo fan lately and this was a awesome night to love Halo

Idc that Halo 4 sucks. As a 10 year Halo fan boy I am just happy to see Halo back in the spotlight like it was tonight. Its been depressing being a Halo fan lately and this was a awesome night to love Halo

Agreed, we haven't had a huge tournament like this since, what, 2008?

Hopefully this is the beginning of a comeback for competitive Halo.

I've no idea if this is true or how to fact check but perhaps the GAF-hivemind can confirm or investigate?

From a Waypoint post:

holy shit, are we back?

I've no idea if this is true or how to fact check but perhaps the GAF-hivemind can confirm or investigate?

From a Waypoint post:
someone livestreamed the stream on Twitch from their Xbox and managed to beat the Call of Duty MLG event for viewers - and that doesn't count viewers watching on Halowaypoint/ Xbox 360. I really hope there are more events like this to come!

Oh and now imagine a team tournament on this level...

heckfu

Banned
That was amazing. About 8 rows back with Duncan, Tashi, Hyper, outerlimits, and Wu. Craziest fucking atmosphere and top notch production with very few hiccups.

Proud to say I got to attend that one.

From a Waypoint post:

Return of the king

mcliftblah.gif

DeadNames

Banned
Maybe people watching this will be a wake up call for 343. They will see that people didn't like Call of Halo, and they will use tournament settings across the board for Halo 5's MP.

TCKaos

This is what happens to a game when you give it even an inkling of proper developer/publisher support in the competitive community. At the end of the day it's still Halo 4 pulling these numbers, imagine how much better it could be with a better Halo.

I'm pretty sure this cements that we can bring Halo back, it's just that Microsoft has to be willing to.

belushy

Banned

From a Waypoint post:

Yeah, I'm not sure if I believe that but I will be glad to be proven wrong in this situation.

Anyway, a 4v4 tournament with that level of production would be fantastic. I think what they are afraid of though is the trash talk that would most likely happen during a 4v4 tournament. Especially after seeing what happened with COD at the one tournament with Epsilon.

mo60

The livestream for the finals was amazing. I like the rooster teeth skits especially the first one, I like the commentary, the crazy stuff the announcer said, the interviews and etc(like that one major upset that happened in the semi finals).The xbox one part of the livestream was terrible and the video quality was all over the place, but this was an amazing ending to the halo 4 gc.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Yeah, I'm not sure if I believe that but I will be glad to be proven wrong in this situation.

Anyway, a 4v4 tournament with that level of production would be fantastic. I think what they are afraid of though is the trash talk that would most likely happen during a 4v4 tournament. Especially after seeing what happened with COD at the one tournament with Epsilon.

Just use Superintendent themed overlays and equipment!

Keep it clean.

MIMIC

Banned
That Halo Global Championship tournament on XBL....you can't fast-forward? I forgot this was happening, and am watching it on Xbox Live but there's only a stop button

belushy

Banned
Wonder how much Microsoft and virgin gaming spent on this tournament. Hopefully it was worth it to them lol I want to see more of these tournaments (production wise. more competitive gametypes pls)

edit: ^ Nice! Like I said, glad to be proven wrong. Wonder how much XBL and Waypoint got then. Should be a decent number.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I just started watching the finals event (couldn't watch it live). I can't believe it kicked it off with gaming hip hop, and even though it wasn't my music of choice, it went along very well. I am enjoying this so far.

Madness

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and say it was pure Halo in its best form. The game play was heavily affected by sprint. Get hit by two shots, just sprint and drop 2 levels with the other guy having no chance etc. Plus it had ordnance but no one even really touched it.

If anything, it should show 343 what fans love. Imagine if they did the same thing, with a BR only, no sprint tournament with 4v4 teams.

I will say, the way they presented it today, right on Dashboard, quality stream was great. I've been optimistic that halo 5 will be a much better Halo game. Though let's get some classic music, the monks, that wailing performance was cringe worthy.

heckfu

Banned
Damn it. I literally sat next to Yuhas. We watched a guy throw a tshirt into the crowd and hit a small girl in the stomach in the balcony. The most amazing thing ever.

Fuchsdh

I just started watching the finals event (couldn't watch it live). I can't believe it kicked it off with gaming hip hop, and even though it wasn't my music of choice, it went along very well. I am enjoying this so far.

I appreciate that it actually tied into the game rather than just "hey this is some artist people like right?" Made it watchable for me, as a guy who doesn't like most hip-hop/rap (and couldn't tell you substantial differences between them.)

Damn it. I literally sat next to Yuhas. We watched a guy throw a tshirt into the crowd and hit a small girl in the stomach in the balcony. The most amazing thing ever.

Somehow in that time and space it was the funniest thing we'd ever seen.

GC was really fun to watch, close matches and a very nice production.

Oh btw for those curious, X1 controller is very nice. Material and weight feels very good in the hands. Only complaint (and perhaps just something you get used to) is the bumpers are oddly large.

Booshka

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and say it was pure Halo in its best form. The game play was heavily affected by sprint. Get hit by two shots, just sprint and drop 2 levels with the other guy having no chance etc. Plus it had ordnance but no one even really touched it.

If anything, it should show 343 what fans love. Imagine if they did the same thing, with a BR only, no sprint tournament with 4v4 teams.

I will say, the way they presented it today, right on Dashboard, quality stream was great. I've been optimistic that halo 5 will be a much better Halo game. Though let's get some classic music, the monks, that wailing performance was cringe worthy.

Yea, the gameplay wasn't that interesting to be honest. Tons of hype because there is so much on the line and trying to crack into Top 4 last minute in FFAs and 1v1's are usually intense on their own. But, the moment to moment gameplay was generally boring, sprinting around Skyline with cluttered sightlines and a lack of good powerup and power weapon control to facilitate general map flow made the matches boring overall.

Shooting skill isn't where it needs to be, Sprint is bad for Halo, maps aren't that good, and not enough powerups and power weapons to make map control more interesting. Their production quality was good, and it was a pretty well run tournament, so props for that.

Halo is definitely not back, core game design and mechanics are still way behind for it to be an entertaining and competitively viable eSport.

Naked Lunch

The tournament was fantastic - just a pleasure to watch. The hosts, commentators, RvB stuff, performances, and the matches themselves were great - you couldnt have asked for a better finale. Probably the coolest gaming related event ive watched. It kinda rekindled my love for Halo. I have high high hopes for Halo 5.

I was out, so I missed the Halo 4 tournament.. judging by everyone reactions I'm definitely going to watch it. Lets hope this marks a positive shift towards a healthier competitive Halo.

wwm0nkey

Hopefully the GC causes a spike in player count to but just from everyone's reactions all over the place on different sites I am sure 343 notices competitive is where its at now.

Top Bottom