• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

IHaveIce

Banned
It was fantastic, but this had to happen much sooner, inagine this tournament around january, the playlists like they are now( I know not perfect, but better than at launch. ) and a 4v4 tourney in this style now at pax.

That would be a sick halo year. Better maps and a free pit would have also helped

Did Waypoint enjoy it? I don't dare go to that site.

Yes, pretty much all positive and many wanting more of the same please. I'd say their reaction was "more positive" than HaloGAF's but that's to be expected I suppose.

Waypoint members having been getting into streaming more too, which is nice.

It was fantastic, but this had to happen much sooner, inagine this tournament around january, the playlists like they are now( I know not perfect, but better than at launch. ) and a 4v4 tourney in this style now at pax.

That would be a sick halo year. Better maps and a free pit would have also helped

I'm thinking Halo X1 is going larger and at launch with all this franchise experience. I find it fascinating to follow 343i/MS/X1 through this evolution for lack of a better word.
Feels like watching Bungie or an Indie after their "it" release. Yes I'm aware Bungie had Marathon, Myth etc, I played their games long before Halo came out.

belushy

Banned
Yes, pretty much all positive and many wanting more of the same please. I'd say their reaction was "more positive" than HaloGAF's but that's to be expected I suppose.

Waypoint members having been getting into streaming more too, which is nice.

Awesome, that is great to hear. I understand the criticism people might have about the tournament, and even agree to a large extent. I can't deny how great the production was though. Hope we get more tournaments like it. Maybe with a (hopefully) more competitive game in Halo 5. I feel like a great Spectator mode would help out a tournament like this greatly too. What I'm hoping is 343 and Microsoft now notice how hard it is to set up a tournament stream like that, even for one day, without a good spectator mode and realize the pain AGL and MLG had to go through for it.

Sai-kun

Banned
Shout out to Tashi, Duncan, Hypertrooper, and Zeouterlimits for coming to the GAF meet up and having a great time. Y'all are rad. XO see you next year :)

nillapuddin

So I have some new ones and some old ones, but I have refined everything.

Never consider these "final" they are just for fun and Id love any feedback yall have, here we go..
Code:
[B]Football![/B]

Throw into the Goal Posts for 5 Points
Run it into the End Zone for 10
Ball carrier has reduced speed (plan your passes wisely!)
Hammers only, Ball is 1-HKO
15 second "play clock" (you have to pass)
Trait Zone directly in front of goal post allows you to jump higher and "Block Field Goals"
Two separate 5 minute [s]halfs[/s] rounds

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jYdeWkNl.jpg[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=fb6f1d0b-152a-4ffc-a975-7634fd05739e"]Gametype: Football[/URL]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=5df61c5b-cf12-4278-b67f-0b79e90984a9"]Map: Stadium[/URL]

Code:
[B]Basketball[/B]

Throw it into the Hoop for 20 points
Dunk the ball for 15
Hammers + Swords*, Ball is 1-HKO
10 second "shot clock" (you have to pass)
First to 150 points wins

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9iZ5u5Ml.jpg[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=fbb8cf0c-d891-4bf5-b089-f5f8839308ae"]Gametype: Basketball[/URL]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=9ad7ad03-8769-49d9-b032-4e568a34ce8a"]*Gametype: Basketball: Passing Only[/URL]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=88bf297b-717b-4233-8982-cf20d4750580"]Map: Arena[/URL]

Code:
[B]Three Point Shootout[/B]

Each team has 3-minutes to sink as many jumpers as possible
5 ball spawns on each team's side
3 second "shot clock" (scoop and shoot!)
(sometimes 2 balls spawn on the same side, but whatever)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/IZotlqIl.jpg[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=2c92fe29-0c9c-4fd6-bea4-49c6205bce59"]Gametype: Three Point Shootout[/URL]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=44828886-35e8-4e47-abf9-8c28092fb6e4"]Map: Downtown[/URL]

Code:
[B]Volleyball[/B]

Each team gets a ball, throw it onto your opponents floor to win
First to 10 points wins

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tyjurGWl.jpg[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=363b3307-a6be-4bb5-b41d-ea38e381078a"]Gametype: Volleyball[/URL]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=323ec8d1-1c64-48eb-866b-575f67345f22"]Map: Court[/URL]

Omni

I don't see them removing it from mutliplayer... That would be such a downgrade. Surely they'd know better.

I do have to wonder whether things that were missing in H4 like campaign scoring will be in Halo 5 though. We weren't exactly quiet about them when we learnt of their absence. Will also be interesting to see what direction they take the main menu UI.

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Mindwipe

Hopefully the GC causes a spike in player count to but just from everyone's reactions all over the place on different sites I am sure 343 notices competitive is where its at now.

The Champions map pack playlist had a population of 843 when I went on during the weekend :-(

Blueblur1

I bet Halo 5 won't have a Theater feature at all

They'll just tell you to use the XBox One's record feature

You mean the one that only records the last 5 minutes of gameplay if you forgot to hit the record button? It's less than ideal. But this is 343 we're talking about. They'll cut a feature before putting extra work behind it.

Edit: Also, I can confirm that Halo 3 is still awesome. Despite some very dead playlists, I've been having a blast playing it this morning.

Still think I was over excited? Halo is fucking ALIVE!
Dude, those Twitch number...... and that wasn't even the official stream.

I'm hyped to see those viewer numbers.
Didact comes on stage and force chokes the losers.

Every participant gets exclusive Gravity Gauntlet DLC and Campaign Expansion written by bombadil

Some Halo4GC coverage

Final minutes - http://youtu.be/LT434E6AYAU
Ace Interview - http://youtu.be/yX8CX6I9L8E

Got a hot one from that Ace interview.
ghostayame-awkward-moment-o.gif

Fuchsdh

I bet Halo 5 won't have a Theater feature at all

They'll just tell you to use the XBox One's record feature

Obviously I don't think anyone would hope for that... the X1 record feature is an awesome add to the games that never bothered with it before, but it doesn't replace Theater or a cap card.

Omni

You mean the one that only records the last 5 minutes of gameplay if you forgot to hit the record button? It's less than ideal. But this is 343 we're talking about. They'll cut a feature before putting extra work behind it.

Edit: Also, I can confirm that Halo 3 is still awesome. Despite some very dead playlists, I've been having a blast playing it this morning.
Doesn't it record the last 30, but you can only use 5 mins? Or was that busted? I remember reading about it in the gaming section

I can confirm this. Been playing consistently for three weeks now so nostalgia is not informing my opinion. Remarkably I'm experiencing less pure lag than I did during my last stint of playing Halo 4 (1 in 3 or 4 games rubber banding enemies) though latency can be an issue depending on Mexico. Team Mythic is the best list in the game - frequent BR starts, one bomb on longshore, 2 flag on heretic/Citadel. Biggest problem the game has is its playlist configuration. Fucking rockets on valhalla/pit/citadel/snowbound still appears, duels, and the ever abhorrent AR starts on maps like last resort and valhalla.

Still, though, I would have taken a playlist update never happening at all if it meant Halo 3 went free during June or July (or even August!). Could've been the Indian summer of Halo 3. Now it's not on the program until October at the earliest and GTA 5 will be out by then. Very disappointed at the decision to promote the game front of shop at E3 for Games With Gold then go quiet on it. Obviously delayed because it would've been mildly embarrassing to have the six year old game above the latest in the charts, particularly when they're trying to flog a map from said free game for $$$.

Most sessions of Halo 3 lately have ran for longer than I intended them to. Frequently I hear myself and others demand just 'one' more game. Five games later, eyes squinting, half one in the morning, watching back a sick triple on the pit in the theatre with friends at the end of a session. That is what 'feels like Halo'.

Blueblur1

I can confirm this. Been playing consistently for three weeks now so nostalgia is not informing my opinion. Remarkably I'm experiencing less pure lag than I did during my last stint of playing Halo 4 (1 in 3 or 4 games rubber banding enemies) though latency can be an issue depending on Mexico. Team Mythic is the best list in the game - frequent BR starts, one bomb on longshore, 2 flag on heretic/Citadel. Biggest problem the game has is its playlist configuration. Fucking rockets on valhalla/pit/citadel/snowbound still appears, duels, and the ever abhorrent AR starts on maps like last resort and valhalla.

Still, though, I would have taken a playlist update never happening at all if it meant Halo 3 went free during June or July (or even August!). Could've been the Indian summer of Halo 3. Now it's not on the program until October at the earliest and GTA 5 will be out by then. Very disappointed at the decision to promote the game front of shop at E3 for Games With Gold then go quiet on it. Obviously delayed because it would've been mildly embarrassing to have the six year old game above the latest in the charts, particularly when they're trying to flog a map from said free game for $$$.

Most sessions of Halo 3 lately have ran for longer than I intended them to. Frequently I hear myself and others demand just 'one' more game. Five games later, eyes squinting, half one in the morning, watching back a sick triple on the pit in the theatre with friends at the end of a session. That is what 'feels like Halo'.

I wanted to get a Team Mythic match going but there weren't any players in that hopper. Those are some of my favorite maps.

The game is really great and stands the test of time. I can't stress how good it feels to 4-shot players with the BR and play on well-designed maps (even though some are still stinkers) with set weapon spawns. And it sounds like Halo, too. It's such shame that the series started going downhill after Halo 3.

Computer

I wanted to get a Team Mythic match going but there weren't any players in that hopper. Those are some of my favorite maps.

The game is really great and stands the test of time. I can't stress how good it feels to 4-shot players with the BR and play on well-designed maps (even though some are still stinkers) with set weapon spawns. And it sounds like Halo, too. It's such shame that the series started going downhill after Halo 3.

Halo 3 is still fun and 10 times the game Halo 4 will ever be. The only issue is it needs more players. I had a big problem with quitters, AFK, and noobs players in ranked matches. Made games frustrating. Even with this problem I have more fun loosing in Halo 3 then winning in Halo 4.

Blueblur1

Halo 3 is still fun and 10 times the game Halo 4 will ever be. The only issue is it needs more players. I had a big problem with quitters, AFK, and noobs players in ranked matches. Made games frustrating. Even with this problem I have more fun loosing in Halo 3 then winning in Halo 4.

If you or anyone else wants to get some games in later today (or whenever) send me a friend request.

GT: Total Sacrifice

Yeah if Halo 3 had better netcode and more players I would still play it on a regular basis.

343 really needs to scrap all their new ideas from Halo 4 and look at Halo 3. Build upon that. No loadouts, no sprint, ranked/social matchmaking, 1-50, go back to equipment and ditch armor abilities, the gravlift was much more fun and interesting than the jetpack. Trip mines, bubble shields, and power drains all need to return. Give the equipment weapon indicators like power weapons in Halo 4 and they'll become a bigger focus. On the topic of power weapons, only give weapons like shotty, sword, sniper, rockets, etc. indicators. Regular rifles and grenades should be on the map as normal. Ship the game with 12 maps, 7 arena maps like Midship, Lockout, and 5 BTB maps. Remove armor mods and burn flinch. Flinch sucks. Make all rifles like the BR and DMR hitscan. Do all that and there's a Halo game most everyone can enjoy.

Warms my heart. I really do enjoy Halo 3 in a different way than I enjoy Reach. I prefer the color palette, the map design, the mythic disc making it all feel like one complete game instead of my paid DLC feeling like some rare loot drop. The simplicity of the game play is refreshing (and by the way, I'm sick of playing Forge maps in Reach and 4).

TCKaos

Remember when rockets and grenades were enough to take out a vehicle.

I will never understand why rockets aren't strong enough to immediately destroy a vehicle but the instant and/or faster projectile based weapons are.

It's incredibly difficult to lead a shot with those slow-ass rockets - much more so than it is to paint with the Spartan Laser or to lead with the Incineration Cannon (which even has a larger hitbox).

nillapuddin

Man I gotta check out that football one.

Please do!

I have quite a few very different ideas for that one gameplay wise, I just have to get in testing

Invulnerable QB's
Overshield QB's
Immobile QB's
All Players = Same Speed
No Weapons
Shorter/Longer Playclock

One thing I forgot to mention about football, there is a trait zone in front of the goal posts..
It significantly ups your jump height, so you have the potential to "block" field goals at the goal line

You can only jump about half-way up the posts, I just thought it was a cool idea

I formatted my HDD yesterday and now I can't find Reach in my Download History :( Going to the game in the Marketplace just asks for the monies. Anyone have an idea on how to get it back?

Axis Animation has set their Halo 5 trailer to private.

Lol oops.

Assuming it still is Halo 5 they should just come out and say it at this point. Considering a few 343 employees called it Halo 5 on twitter when it was announced and now we (had) the trailer that called it such.

If they want the Xbox One ingrained in peoples minds just call it "Halo 5, Only on Xbox One".

Overdoziz

Banned
I formatted my HDD yesterday and now I can't find Reach in my Download History :( Going to the game in the Marketplace just asks for the monies. Anyone have an idea on how to get it back?
Checked your download history on Xbox.com yet? You can redownload it from there too.

Madness

Did those of you from HaloGAF who went to PAX get to use both controllers? Any feedback on the Xbone and PS4 controllers? Specifically how you think they'll be for games like Destiny, Battlefield, TitanFall etc.

I know Steely said the Xbone controller was amazing and that the only 'drawback' was larger triggers that will take some time to get used to.

Did those of you from HaloGAF who went to PAX get to use both controllers? Any feedback on the Xbone and PS4 controllers? Specifically how you think they'll be for games like Destiny, Battlefield, TitanFall etc.

I know Steely said the Xbone controller was amazing and that the only 'drawback' was larger triggers that will take some time to get used to.

It was the bumpers I thought were oddly large, not the triggers (the triggers are deeper than the 360 ones though).

GrizzNKev

Banned
Do the bumpers feel the same when pressing them? What about the triggers as well?

Oh, I should mention. I tested out the Xbone controller again. The triggers are xbox heug. The complaints about the bumpers are true. They only click toward the outer edges. You cannot press them down near the center of the controller.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Oh, I should mention. I tested out the Xbone controller again. The triggers are xbox heug. The complaints about the bumpers are true. They only click toward the outer edges. You cannot press them down near the center of the controller.

Surely that'll be fixed before launch, because that sounds awful.

Kinda related, but I really, really wish Sony would release a PS4 controller with asymmetrical sticks. Apparently the PS4 controller is great, but I'm still used to the 360's.

Surely that'll be fixed before launch, because that sounds awful.

Kinda related, but I really, really wish Sony would release a PS4 controller with asymmetrical sticks. Apparently the PS4 controller is great, but I'm still used to the 360's.

I heard the controller is final, but yea that can be worrisome. We shall see.

cory021

Neo Member
Don't always assume a playlist in H3 has no players in it even if it says it pop=0. Something something about updating over intervals of time, but I've gotten games in playlists that claimed to have zero population in under a minute.

Do the bumpers feel the same when pressing them? What about the triggers as well?

After comparing to a 360 controller when I got home, the triggers are significantly deeper than the 360 ones. They feel really good.

Didn't really have any issues pressing the bumpers, so I guess they feel somewhat similar to press, but the size was like why the hell are these things so big up here.

Top Bottom