• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Oh, I should mention. I tested out the Xbone controller again. The triggers are xbox heug. The complaints about the bumpers are true. They only click toward the outer edges. You cannot press them down near the center of the controller.

I really wish they didn't fuck with the Xbox 360s controller so much.. The bumpers/triggers plus size/shape seem like a step back on the One.

IHaveIce

Banned
After comparing to a 360 controller when I got home, the triggers are significantly deeper than the 360 ones. They feel really good.

Didn't really have any issues pressing the bumpers, so I guess they feel somewhat similar to press, but the size was like why the hell are these things so big up here.

Yeah I also had no issues with the bumpers, I'm kind of surprised it is a such a popular complaint online

I keep telling my friends that Halo is back but they won't listen.

I polished off the new (Halo 4) achievements this morning. As has been the tradition of late, I did them in matchmaking solo, and I had a hell of a time getting the one for assassinating the Ricochet ball carrier 5 meters from your goal. I must have played 30-some matches trying to get that shit.

I really wish they didn't fuck with the Xbox 360s controller so much.. The bumpers/triggers plus size/shape seem like a step back on the One.

They didn't mess with it much at all it seems. Triggers look the same just a bit more curved like the og xbox. Bumpers are the same except bigger. The size seems the same to me[grizz or the other guy should comment otherwise]. The shape is the same just the end of it is less round but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

TheOddOne

I keep telling my friends that Halo is back but they won't listen.

I polished off the new (Halo 4) achievements this morning. As has been the tradition of late, I did them in matchmaking solo, and I had a hell of a time getting the one for assassinating the Ricochet ball carrier 5 meters from your goal. I must have played 30-some matches trying to get that shit.
Stop hacking accounts, Heckfu.

NOKYARD

So I have some new ones and some old ones, but I have refined everything.

Never consider these "final" they are just for fun and Id love any feedback yall have, here we go..

Code:
[B]Basketball[/B]

Throw it into the Hoop for 20 points
Dunk the ball for 15
Hammers + Swords*, Ball is 1-HKO
10 second "shot clock" (you have to pass)
First to 150 points wins

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9iZ5u5Ml.jpg[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=fbb8cf0c-d891-4bf5-b089-f5f8839308ae"]Gametype: Basketball[/URL]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=9ad7ad03-8769-49d9-b032-4e568a34ce8a"]*Gametype: Basketball: Passing Only[/URL]
[URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/nillapuddin626/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=88bf297b-717b-4233-8982-cf20d4750580"]Map: Arena[/URL]

Nice.

I'm not a fan of the Ricochet shot clock because it doesn't seem to have a proper cool down. If you toss the ball away at the peak of the audible warning you explode if you pick it up again, even after waiting a minute.

Here's one for you.

Code:
[B]Blitzenball[/B]

Fly it in for 20 points.
Toss it in for 5 points.
1 point for an Assist.
First to 100 wins.

Gametype: [URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/runnokyardrun/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0"]Blitzenball[/URL]
Map: [URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/runnokyardrun/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0"]Toxic[/URL]. Set in the toxic wasteland outside of Pitfall.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibmQYntzWwyqrq.jpeg[/IMG]

Jetpack/Sword/Plasma Grenades

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iQX5rr8IKZvhr.jpeg[/IMG]

Plasma resupply stations on map.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iXgJKg3MYt59G.jpeg[/IMG]

The floor is made of upside down grav volumes.
They act as a floor for the ball and slow a player's descent. 
Touching the actual floor is instant death. 

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iukVfBiOQmSxA.jpeg[/IMG]

Boxer or Default controller layout recommended.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iNKZSJ2zAxXAk.jpeg[/IMG]

Naturally, the Jetpack Grifball version looks better.
You can't activate the light of neutral goals on Ricochet.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iR8BqDc0rdh66.jpeg[/IMG]

NOKYARD

Wait, you can go outside the Pit?

It's a huge open space. About the size of 6 grids.

Unfortunately, you don't get many Forge items to work with so you can't build any significant strictures. The above map uses the entire budget and all of the structural items other than Pallets. You don't even have any Grids or Dominion pieces to work with.

FyreWulff

Unfortunately, you don't get many Forge items to work with so you can't build any significant strictures. The above map uses the entire budget and all of the structural items other than Pallets. You don't even have any Grids or Dominion pieces to work with.

Pitfall doesn't support Dominion? Need to stop this symmetrical maps not supporting symmetrical gametypes thing..

Feels like Halo.

-EDIT-

Pitfall doesn't support Dominion? Need to stop this symmetrical maps not supporting symmetrical gametypes thing..

Please refer the above post.
And bandwidth.

It's just a bit better in the 360 dpad in that it feels less like you're pressing down an awkwardly shaped button .

But in terms of overall quality, it's still not great, but it's not shit anymore either (in my opinion)

How hard is it to just use the d-pad from the original xbox? Why do they feel a d-pad needs to have 8+ directions? 4 is what it's for dammit.

How hard is it to just use the d-pad from the original xbox? Why do they feel a d-pad needs to have 8+ directions? 4 is what it's for dammit.

og xbox dpad was ok but i am sure the xone will be better than that. From what i've heard it is significantly better than the 360 dpad.

I wonder if there could be an update where you can use the other forge pieces?

That would be cool to see.

I was stalking the TeamBeyond forums, and saw this writeup by Saucey, it's a good read, you all should check it out.

FyreWulff

They could, in theory (barring memory limitations and file format limitations)

This would require them to ever actually update Forge in any manner, though.

I laughed when I ran into 360 games that used the dpad as a button. Not 'press this direction', they just prompted you to press the entire dpad down as a single button.

NOKYARD

I doubt they would support any content outside of Pitfall. It's pretty glitchy out there. I made a point of hiding all the dropouts and untextured areas in the above screen shots.

On the other hand, they supplied more forge pieces than you can possibly use in the interior of the structure. You have to use glitches to get outside of Pitfall. It was never intended to be a forge space.

Feels like a Halo fan:
Accepting less and making excuses for it.

To piggyback off that, the only reason we'll see major changes/additions to Halo multiplayer on the Xbox One will be due to the drop off in population with Halo 4 and overwhelming negative fan impressions. The cycle is either going to repeat itself and we'll be left with another subpar Halo experience or they'll finally realize the power in advancing Halo's customization and matching people up based on what they want to play, when they want to play it. The features also have to blow us away with things like a fully realized FF mode, Spectator mode, CGB/Optimatch, etc.

Computer

to the Gafer's that used the Xbox 1 controller how did the sticks feel? I hear they feel loose like the dual shock 3. I hope this is not true.

Does anyone on HaloGAF still play 3/Reach/4 on a regular basis? I've been trying to get back into objective but it's a bit difficult since nobody uses mics anymore in global chat.

Someome interested in testing my Rocket Race and Rocket Hog Race variants? possibly this wednesday.

If anyone is interested send me a PM with your GT or simply quote my post, if you get into the testing lobby please do not distribute the gametype.

Also, anyone got a 48h LIVE code :/

FyreWulff

Someome interested in testing my Rocket Race and Rocket Hog Race variants? possibly this wednesday.

If anyone is interested send me a PM with your GT or simply quote my post, if you get into the testing lobby please do not distribute the gametype.

Also, anyone got a 48h LIVE code :/

Check your PMs

heckfu

Banned
Xbox One sticks feel really similar in terms of tightness but they're more rubbery so they have INCREDIBLE grip. Feels great.

It's funny my one complaint about the controller is how far away and how sunken in the dpad is.

heckfu

Banned
I would not be surprised if this is what Halo 5 looks like.

What are your thoughts on the bumpers/triggers? Also, how about the joysticks? They look nubby but comfortable.

Triggers felt fine, honestly. Nothing stuck out negative or positive to me during my time with it so I don't imagine they're THAT different. The build we were playing didnt have rumble enabled, either, so I can't attest to how that feels.

Bumpers I noticed a little weirdness to but can't necessarily pinpoint what I didnt like or did like...but i'm sure like anything else we'll get used to it.

Joysticks were shorter but like I said above, the grip was amazing. Felt so good.

Triggers felt fine, honestly. Nothing stuck out negative or positive to me during my time with it so I don't imagine they're THAT different. The build we were playing didnt have rumble enabled, either, so I can't attest to how that feels.

Bumpers I noticed a little weirdness to but can't necessarily pinpoint what I didnt like or did like...but i'm sure like anything else we'll get used to it.

Joysticks were shorter but like I said above, the grip was amazing. Felt so good.

Yeah the bumpers seem like they feel/function similar to a 360 controller that has sticky or nonfunctional bumpers. Glad to hear about the joysticks though, I just noticed you said "Xbox One sticks" up top lol

Let's hope not. Not that there is anything wrong with that kind of gameplay but it isn't halo. I'm kind of surprised MS hasn't explored other subgenres of shooters within the Halo IP though.

Killzone Shadow Fall looks pretty fun, but I know that sluggish movement and terrible jump height will get to me. And I'd love for that bolded, so much untapped potential.

Yeah the bumpers seem like they feel/function similar to a 360 controller that has sticky or nonfunctional bumpers. Glad to hear about the joysticks though, I just noticed you said "Xbox One sticks" up top lol

Killzone Shadow Fall looks pretty fun, but I know that sluggish movement and terrible jump height will get to me. And I'd love for that bolded, so much untapped potential.

How come people feel every game needs to play like cod. KZ is fine in terms of movement.

Does anyone on HaloGAF still play 3/Reach/4 on a regular basis? I've been trying to get back into objective but it's a bit difficult since nobody uses mics anymore in global chat.

There are a few guys that play Halo 4 quite frequently.

ExWife, myself, Daedelus(wtf how do you spell this shit), Ice, Wahrer, some others. I'm not sure how often they play, but I typically get on 2-3 times a week for a few hours.

Funk abandoned me. I got the Warthog in the divorce :(

Top Bottom