• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Holy shit, hadn't played this garbage game in months. 343 fucked it up even more. Jetpacks are encouraged even more due to the increased damage of the Saw and Assault rifle. Glad i sold this turd.

I never understand these type of posts. People post about playing a game then gloat about selling it.

Omni

If you have to put a jpeg in the background so that the game I am actually playing runs at 60 FPS go for it.
Multiplayer? Agreed. Gameplay takes priority over visuals.

Campaign? Absolutely not. Give me a 'cinematic' framerate for all I care; visuals play a big part in pulling the player in. Nothing worse than looking out of the hallway you're being shovelled into during Halo 4 and seeing an extremely compressed .jpg skybox. Story was already a convoluted mess, but you feel even more detached from the world because of it.

Booshka

Multiplayer? Agreed. Gameplay takes priority over visuals.

Campaign? Absolutely not. Give me a 'cinematic' framerate for all I care; visuals play a big part in pulling the player in. Nothing worse than looking out of the hallway you're being shovelled into during Halo 4 and seeing an extremely compressed .jpg skybox. Story was already a convoluted mess, but you feel even more detached from the world because of it.

60 FPS is visuals that affect gameplay, it's not like Graphics ON or OFF. If I am playing an action game I want it to run at 60 FPS. I am playing it for the gameplay, and 30 FPS gameplay with those "cinematic" dips into the low 20's and teens in framerate is just unacceptable.

Your ability to process and react to information is remarkably less at 30 FPS opposed to 60 FPS. You can literally think and play better because there is more information being sent to your brain in the form of more frames per second. It makes the gameplay experience and overall immersion of playing a video game, being wrapped up in the world of that game far stronger than if it was at a lower frame rate.

Whether it be Campaign or Multiplayer is irrelevant, nothing is more jarring and immersion-breaking than sweeping your cursor over a battle and having the framerate drop to 15.

Fuchsdh

I think we both know the majority of them will be Lorem Ipsum :(

I want to believe :)

60 FPS is visuals that affect gameplay, it's not like Graphics ON or OFF. If I am playing an action game I want it to run at 60 FPS. I am playing it for the gameplay, and 30 FPS gameplay with those "cinematic" dips into the low 20's and teens in framerate is just unacceptable.

Your ability to process and react to information is remarkably less at 30 FPS opposed to 60 FPS. You can literally think and play better because there is more information being sent to your brain in the form of more frames per second. It makes the gameplay experience and overall immersion of playing a video game, being wrapped up in the world of that game far stronger than if it was at a lower frame rate.

Whether it be Campaign or Multiplayer is irrelevant, nothing is more jarring and immersion-breaking than sweeping your cursor over a battle and having the framerate drop to 15.

Framerate dips are jarring, yes, but the actual frame rate is largely irrelevant. People can get emotionally involved in a stop-motion story shot on twos, in terms of getting people involved the actual frame rate is not an important thing for anything other than gameplay.

Booshka

Framerate dips are jarring, yes, but the actual frame rate is largely irrelevant. People can get emotionally involved in a stop-motion story shot on twos, in terms of getting people involved the actual frame rate is not an important thing for anything other than gameplay.

So yeah, Video Games.

If I had a kid with myself it'd be the perfect candidate for the job

maggi-so-juicy.png

Booshka

There are plenty of games I've enjoyed that had horrible gameplay or gameplay that was detrimental to said story--Bioshock, for example. Video games are not built on gameplay alone.

The ones that I want to play are, Halo being one of them.

Madness

Gameplay is perhaps the most important part of video games. Doesn't matter how good the look if they play like shit.

I don't agree with BioShock either. I thought it had phenomal gameplay for it's time. Unique effects, clever AI, diverse locales and enemies etc.

How can you enjoy playing a video games with gameplay that is detrimental to the story?

Madness

Sorry for double post, but reading that job description, for those in the industry, is it too hard to get into now?

Almost all major games studios require years of experience now and at least 1 AAA title shipped. Half the people hired for Halo:CE were people working on their first ever game. Some people didn't even have any experience for what they were assigned. And look how successful the game became.

I don't know if AAA title shipped should have any bearing on well you'd be a level designer for multiplayer in Halo. Just because you worked on TimeShift or Medal of Honor: Warfighter doesn't mean you'll be a good designer for Halo.

I can understand the trouble 343 had hiring guys though. And why they sort of outsourced a lot to Certain Affinity.

Sorry for double post, but reading that job description, for those in the industry, is it too hard to get into now?

Almost all major games studios require years of experience now and at least 1 AAA title shipped. Half the people hired for Halo:CE were people working on their first ever game. Some people didn't even have any experience for what they were assigned. And look how successful the game became.

I don't know if AAA title shipped should have any bearing on well you'd be a level designer for multiplayer in Halo. Just because you worked on TimeShift or Medal of Honor: Warfighter doesn't mean you'll be a good designer for Halo.

I can understand the trouble 343 had hiring guys though. And why they sort of outsourced a lot to Certain Affinity.

As a general rule of thumb, requirements for qualification for jobs is typically a perfect world scenario and employers usually hire people that don't have all of the qualifications they list.

FyreWulff

I used to work at a library, we didn't bother barcoding the romance novels because the barcode cost more than the book.

The Halo books got pretty good circulation too. The wait reserve list on the HGN was 200 people long. The only books with a longer waiting list was Harry Potter. There was enough demand for HP that the library bought 300 copies of the book. I think they ordered like 10-20 Halo Graphic Novels.

I used to work at a library, we didn't bother barcoding the romance novels because the barcode cost more than the book.

The Halo books got pretty good circulation too. The wait reserve list on the HGN was 200 people long. The only books with a longer waiting list was Harry Potter. There was enough demand for HP that the library bought 300 copies of the book. I think they ordered like 10-20 Halo Graphic Novels.

halo fanbase consists of nerds confirmed

52000 FUCKING PEOPLE WATCHING COD MLG.

HALO CANT EVEN PEAK AT THAT.

GET FUCKING EMBARRASSED HALO.

PM ME FRANKIE. I CAN START MP DESIGNER ASAP.

Madness

Since I've stopped playing CoD after MW3, what exactly is Black Ops II still able to pull in numbers wise?

I don't know, but Halo 4 at #8 behind three different shooters, two of which are almost two years old, behind two sports games, and Minecraft is just sad.

Really makes you wonder what went wrong and is it really fixable?

Edit: well I have my own ideas for what went wrong, but you never know.

CyReN

Since I've stopped playing CoD after MW3, what exactly is Black Ops II still able to pull in numbers wise?

• It's a good CoD game overall
  • Huge fanbase
  • Youtube and Gaming Organizations in CoD are HUGE and tweeting it out all weekend long
  • Big prize pool w/ great casting
  • MLG hosting + TwitchTV Support

Optic vs Impact right now is on too, huge rivalry.

854a064dbd6d04d980322a40e8fb161d.gif

Madness

• It's a good CoD game overall
  • Huge fanbase
  • Youtube and Gaming Organizations in CoD are HUGE and tweeting it out all weekend long
  • Big prize pool w/ great casting
  • MLG hosting + TwitchTV Support

Optic vs Impact right now is on too, huge rivalry.

854a064dbd6d04d980322a40e8fb161d.gif

Oh I know that, I meant what are the numbers it gets on Xbox Live? Do they show how many people are still playing Black Ops II?

IHaveIce

Banned
Good games everybody. Hopefully Gun Game finds its way into matchmaking.
I also played it with a bunch of friends, is there a way to lift the winning score? And is there a reason why not all weapons are used for it?

Missing are Plasma Pistol, Beam rifle, concussion rifle, fuel rod gun, pr. Repeater, boltshot, kind of the incineration cannon.

Would be even cooler with all of them.

But nothing is better than assassinating someone 3 times in a row to delevel him lol

Shadders

I don't think it's really a case of needing all of those things, it's more of a serving suggestion. From their perspective, having worked on a game, even if it was TimeShift, means you've been through the mill and know about the rigors of game development. That's obviously a trait that would be appealing to them.

If someone came to them and said "hey, I don't have any experience, but I spent the last 12 months making this mod in UnrealEd, I wanted to demonstrate this gameplay idea I had, what do you think?" If what he'd done was impressive, he'd have every chance of getting a job.

Gui_PT

Btw thank you Fyre for the Crysis code. I had never played a Crysis game besides that MP beta a while ago and had tuns of fun.

Omni

How should any channel right now be a good one for Halo 5, if nothing is known about.

It's all conjecture from the Waypoint forums I would suppose. Plus a whole load of BS to get views. Happened with Halo 4 too (all he did was talk about stuff on the forums. You don't get any new information through one of those channels unless you stop paying attention to official media releases and/or leaks that occur on forums such as this one.)

Top Bottom