• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Just an idea: Halo Arena LIVE or whatever Halo title uses a F2P model could start with 5 simple armor sets. Even if they're just Mark IV (Wars) / Mark V / Mark V / Mark VI (Legacy) / Mark VI (343). They're full armor sets and you can't intermingle. You can only have one armor color like in CE.

From there, you can progressively unlock things through Credits, through a TF2-style loot system, or by straight-up buying them.

1cR = 1/10th of a cent. So a 3000 cR helmet would be $3 etc.

FyreWulff

ITT: People who don't actually play Reach advocating changing the most popular playlist from balanced Bungie settings to shitty 343 Industries settings.

Still enjoying TS in Reach with friends on the reg. Don't you fucking touch it, 343 Industries. You already shit up enough of that game.

We can't get Skyline CTF removed even though it's functionally broken because of pride, you think 343 is going to go back and undo their TU?

The only way 343 is going to universalize anything is if it's the TU, not Vanilla, especially after they went and made playlists one-or-the-other instead of making it a voting option within each list after they improved the labeling.

"Hey guys, I can't tell which is which. Could you label the gametypes?"

"Sure. Also, we're going to label the TU at the playlist level and make the entire playlist TU or Vanilla"

"Well that kind of defeats the point of labeling it, but okay"

I gave up on the Vanilla argument, it's just time for 343 to own up to taking over Reach and make the TU universal. Vanilla only existing in Team Slayer is basically Vanilla no longer existing for me anyway.

Omni

Do we know when Spartan Assault is being released yet? I mean, it's July in like 1 day. Sure it's only $7, but it would be nice to get some heads up about when it is dropping.

Madness

What's hilarious is I saw Snatch earlier today. Always crack up from the accents and words. Especially when Brad Pitt is speaking 'pikey' or whatever. And then when the Jewish guy from New York comes over, he says, "Blagged? Speak English to me, Tony. I thought this country spawned the fucking language, and so far nobody seems to speak it" lol.

Fuchsdh

Halo 4's armor is just plain bad. Nothing stands out and very little of it seems like it's from a Halo game. I like that there's so many options, but I'd honestly rather have a smaller, more focused selection.

It's diminishing returns. As bad as some of the armor was in Halo 3, it at least felt more cohesive. In Reach and 4 they just started throwing in what should have been concepts that got rightfully scrapped. I think Reach's aesthetic was a step down and 4's is nicer in parts, but as mentioned above it doesn't really feel like armor at times either, which defeats the point.

I'd really like them to focus on cleaner, less busy armor a la Halo 3 Mk VI, and allow finer customization of colors and skins on weapons and armor as opposed to a lot of junky designs. Reading some of the flavor text for Reach and 4 armor is hilarious because of how contrived their fictional use would be.

Also: we've got the RAM to fit tons of emblems in the next game, 343. Bring back the classics.

Holy shit, hadn't played this garbage game in months. 343 fucked it up even more. Jetpacks are encouraged even more due to the increased damage of the Saw and Assault rifle. Glad i sold this turd.

FyreWulff

Games are going to be even more expensive to produce, aren't they? They gotta hire more people to fill up all that extra space now.

Yup, although expect a large number of next gen titles to be based off a 360/PS3 version and upressed for the Bone and PS4. Devs and publishers are going to want to get that giant install base money before they drop support for those consoles completely.

I mean shit, the non-stupid versions of both consoles are still 300$. By this time the GameCube was 99$, the Xbox was 150$, and the PS2 was 130$

Even the Wii is still holding at 130$, above the GameCube's final MSRP

TheOddOne

Juices, you still around? Get hired fool.

Multiplayer Designer-IEB-Microsoft Studios-343 Industries (837760) Job (Redmond, WA, US)
343 Industries is looking for a dynamic and experienced creative contributor who has a passion to design the world's greatest games. As a Multiplayer Designer on the Halo team, you will be responsible for implementation and execution of features within the competitive multiplayer [PVP] experience. The 343 competitive multiplayer team designs, implements, and executes on the player-versus-player experience, including game modes, map feedback, moment-to-moment gameplay balancing, and cross-team collaboration.

343 Industries is looking for an experienced designer to design and develop revolutionary new multiplayer experiences on an upcoming Halo title. Responsibilities include driving design and development of multiplayer features, and creating new multiplayer game modes using our internal scripting engine. As a member of the competitive multiplayer design team, you will help shape the future of the Halo franchise on both current and future Halo Titles. Candidates should understand how to work effortlessly across the studio with various design teams to make sure 343 Industries aligns to deliver on a quality AAA user experience. This is your chance to join one of the most talented teams in the industry!

Responsibilities:
-Work with the Lead Designer to understand the vision of the product and bring the experience to life
-Work closely with Multiplayer Software Development Engineers to create new competitive multiplayer experiences
-Provide direction to test and implementation teams to deliver features
-Design, script, balance, and tune competitive multiplayer game modes
-Balance and tune multiplayer systems
-Participate in creative discussions, offer helpful critique, and provide your own compelling ideas

Qualifications and Skills:
-High School diploma or GED Required
-5 years of industry experience on multiplayer titles, with at least 2 years on competitive multiplayer systems
-Multiplayer game mode scripting experience, or a strong programming background
-Experience with Forge and Halo Custom Games is a must
-Extensive competitive multiplayer experience from Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, and Halo 4
-At least one AAA title shipped that features your work on competitive multiplayer
-Candidates must bring a burning passion for and deep knowledge of the Halo universe, especially competitive multiplayer
-Great communication skills; comfortable working in a very communicative and passionate team environment
-Halo fan - be prepared to demonstrate that you've played and thought a lot about the game
-Experience designing, implementing, and delivering a competitive multiplayer experience from beginning to end
-Hold an understanding of multiplayer systems across game genres, and have a deep understanding of cutting edge multiplayer features
-Provide expert-level analysis of the current state of competitive multiplayer on consoles, including matchmaking trends and player expectations across the entire genre
#Hirejuices

Fuchsdh

Games are going to be even more expensive to produce, aren't they? They gotta hire more people to fill up all that extra space now.

I don't think it's really a matter of "filling the space", rendering out a texture at 2048x2048 is a button press. A lot of that space can be filled by simply using lossless audio, less lossy compression schemes, etc. Even more detailed modeling isn't necessarily that much of a change. I think the bigger issues are more about doing networking, AI, etc.

At some point game dev budgets *are* going to top out, but that could conceivably still be far in the future. As long as the $200 million games are making $300 million their first day they're practically safer investments than a lot of blockbuster movies.

They'll have the same amount of emblems, just rendering them out as 2048x2048 bitmaps

ENHANCE

It is going to be kind of weird playing games where you could look at a piece of paper on the ground and have it be legible.

DeadNames

Banned
I thought you trounced your Halo 4 disc?

60fps and dedicated servers don't matter at all if the game doesn't play well.

Yeah that puppy is long gone. But judging by those requirements, it seems that 343 is trying to get someone who actually understands Halo and has played the other ones.

Which leads me to another topic.... If 60 fps means lack of party viewing/campaign theater, etc. I'd rather go locked 30 with a ton of features than 60 with fluctuating framerate and jpg skyboxes.

J10

Banned
I don't think it's really a matter of "filling the space", rendering out a texture at 2048x2048 is a button press. A lot of that space can be filled by simply using lossless audio, less lossy compression schemes, etc. Even more detailed modeling isn't necessarily that much of a change. I think the bigger issues are more about doing networking, AI, etc.

At some point game dev budgets *are* going to top out, but that could conceivably still be far in the future. As long as the $200 million games are making $300 million their first day they're practically safer investments than a lot of blockbuster movies.

Right, I was referring to there being more of everything, not the texture comment specifically, which I thought was a joke. More disc space, more RAM to play with. Seems like either budgets explode or resources go unused.

willow ve

Yup, although expect a large number of next gen titles to be based off a 360/PS3 version and upressed for the Bone and PS4. Devs and publishers are going to want to get that giant install base money before they drop support for those consoles completely.

I mean shit, the non-stupid versions of both consoles are still 300$. By this time the GameCube was 99$, the Xbox was 150$, and the PS2 was 130$

Even the Wii is still holding at 130$, above the GameCube's final MSRP
Really was hoping the redesign for the 360 (e series?) was going to cut the price to $150 and include a 250GB HD. That they kept the $299 price tag seems to be only an attempt to prop up the cost of the One.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
s8UXKyV.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Majestic Team DLC has Anniversary Slayer levels of scrublords. It is great.

Omni

Which leads me to another topic.... If 60 fps means lack of party viewing/campaign theater, etc. I'd rather go locked 30 with a ton of features than 60 with fluctuating framerate and jpg skyboxes.
That would make sense... If Halo 4 hadn't happened. There's no way we'll get campaign theatre/party viewing back now. As per usual they'll just half ass some sentences in a bulletin a day before the game's release telling us the benefits of the Xbox One's DVR program and proceed to pat themselves on the back for supporting it. "We really pushed hard to make sure that with Halo on Xbox One, you get the best gaming experience possible. With the in-game DVR system, you'll be able to capture those magical once in a life time moments that only happen with games that aren't linear shitfests and share with your friends.... but I'm sure you'll be able to find a use for it in our game too"

Can't see them ever bringing back the skyboxes that Bungie gave us either. I mean, CoD doesn't bother with them. Why should 343i, right? Just easier to paste some .jpgs in.

Maybe I'm too bitter. Oh well.

Top Bottom