• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Gui_PT

So much for Halo 3 being released soon... 343 probably complained after learning of it because imagine if Halo 3 goes ahead of Halo 4 in terms of people playing on XBL.

It's just like Microsoft too. Announce Assassins Creed 2 and Halo 3 as the first games and then give some shitty XBLA game and then say eventually we'll give Halo 3 and AssCreed 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoCt2-qGWBE

1 minute mark

Amazing use of this gif.

Would look at again.

Much appreciated. Nice to see people enjoying quality posts.

Shadders

God dammit, I'd really been looking forward to getting a nice group on Halo 3 too. It's like they're revelling in their bad PR.

Gui_PT

I don't get it? Is it for or against what I said? Even if it was MS doublespeak, they purposely showed those two games and said things like kick off that program etc.

He never said Halo 3 and AC2 would kick this off

He mentioned it's two of the games they'll be offering

darthbob

I don't get it? Is it for or against what I said? Even if it was MS doublespeak, they purposely showed those two games and said things like kick off that program etc.

Doing some quick googling, a smattering of news articles from around the time that GWG was announced apparently seemed to think that July would offer AC2 and Halo 3.

Derptaku, lolygon, and OXM UK all say the same thing.

But hey, I already own both Halo 3 and AC2 on GoD so I don't care too much. :lol

Madness

He never said Halo 3 and AC2 would kick this off

He mentioned it's two of the games they'll be offering

Come on though man, everybody thoughts that what they're doing. Numerous sites even. That's disingenuous of Microsoft then. Look at the way he even phrased it. And to kick off that program here are two of the titles were going to be releasing over the next few months etc. Why even show them unless it's to get people hyped for the program?

And I definitely think 343 had to have complained. Frank said they had no idea it would be free. And he said there were no plans for 343 consolidation. They are probably busy on Halo 5 development while sustaining Halo 4. They probably couldn't handle having to quickly maintain a large increase in halo 3 players or have anybody consolidate playlists no?

I'm not complaining about not getting the games. I already own both. I'm complaining because it was almost a snake oil tactic. I was excited to see Halo 3 get a nice bump and maybe run some games. Whatever I guess. Egg is on my face then.

Gui_PT

Come on though man, everybody thoughts that what they're doing. Numerous sites even. That's disingenuous of Microsoft then. Look at the way he even phrased it. And to kick off that program here are two of the titles were going to be releasing over the next few months etc. Why even show them unless it's to get people hyped for the program?

I usually dislike how Microsoft does things but this one is on bad journalism and not Microsoft.

It was pretty clear they didn't mean they'd be the first two games to be launched. Listen to the sentence again.

"Over the next few months" is completely different from "The first two games we'll be giving away"

cluto

I usually dislike how Microsoft does things but this one is on bad journalism and not Microsoft.

It was pretty clear they didn't mean they'd be the first two games to be launched. Listen to the sentence again.

"Over the next few months" is completely different from "The first two games we'll be giving away"

This is the exact quote:
"And to kick off that program, I'd like to share just two of the titles we're going to offer over the next few months: Assassin's Creed II and Halo 3."

If he had only said "I'd like to share just two of the titles we're going to offer over the next few months..." most people would have interpreted that as: "We're getting Halo 3 and ACII some time between July and September," and there would be no confusion or backlash surrounding this program.

But because he started his sentence with "And to kick off that program..." his statement can easily be interpreted as: "And to kick off that program, ACII and Halo 3 will be the first of many free titles we'll be offering over the next few months." At least that's how a lot of GAF, gaming journalists, and I interpreted it.

Gui_PT

This is the exact quote:

If he had only said "I'd like to share just two of the titles we're going to offer over the next few months..." most people would have interpreted that as: "We're getting Halo 3 and ACII some time between July and September," and there would be no confusion or backlash surrounding this program.

But because he started his sentence with "And to kick off that program..." his statement can easily be interpreted as: "And to kick off that program, ACII and Halo 3 will be the first of many free titles we'll be offering over the next few months." At least that's how a lot of GAF, gaming journalists, and I interpreted it.

Hey, I actually thought he meant July too.

Point is, it's not what he said.

So some members of 343 participated in a gay pride festival apparently.

l9znQ5q.jpg

Good job 343.

This is awesome.

Fuchsdh

So some members of 343 participated in a gay pride festival apparently.

l9znQ5q.jpg

Good job 343.

Now at least those random bars on the Warthog have a purpose. I wonder if you can rent it out if you're an employee :p

As to gay characters in Halo: hell no, unless you want something that will probably be poorly done and feel atrociously dated in say a decade. Sexy times do not belong in Halo
that means you too Cortana dammit and Johnson no, stahp

heckfu

Banned
As to gay characters in Halo: hell no, unless you want something that will probably be poorly done and feel atrociously dated in say a decade. Sexy times do not belong in Halo
that means you too Cortana dammit and Johnson no, stahp

That's a poor reason to deny it.

Because I think a) they'll do a bad job and b) is entirely superfluous to Halo? Seem reasonable to me.

I think the point that Ol' Stickybeard is making is that just because a character is gay doesn't mean they're going to have sex onscreen. Homosexuality =/= promiscuity

Fracas

#fuckonami
Have there been any games that handled a gay character successfully?

I'm all for a more diverse cast, as long as it's portrayed well.

Gui_PT

Just leave the story out of 5 altogether. I have no idea what is going on after 4 anyway and that's after playing the campaign at least four complete times. 5 should be multiplayer only.

Just turn the campaign into firefight.

Chief is trapped fighting against waves and waves of enemies. Endless waves, no one would complain about the campaign's longevity.

I think the point that Ol' Stickybeard is making is that just because a character is gay doesn't mean they're going to have sex onscreen. Homosexuality =/= promiscuity

It just seems even if they mentioned it somehow it would just be really akward and out of place if they werent actually having any sexual intimacy. So why even open that whole can of worms?

People should just assume that there are probably some gay people in the Halo universe, but to directly point one out in the limited time that expanses during the game? Just seems weird that thats even being considered. Theres a whole war going on it just doesnt seem relevant.

Just like I find it kinda weird that every platoon game has like a spanish dude a black dude a white dude with blond hair. Its like I'm all for diversity but theres places where it just happens not to exist purely by chance and not because of sexist, racist, bigoted developers and gaming industry.

In fact thats a good point Fuchs. I'm kinda glad I can escape from hearing about this and that persons sexual orientation when I turn on Halo. Its just sometimes good that I can escape from even dealing or hearing about those issues.

Fuchsdh

Who says sex comes into it? I'm talking just a gay character in general. Usually they beat you over the head with it in a way that seems bizarre. Halo's future might be a bleak one is a lot of respects, but I do think they've established that not making a big deal out of who you're into is one of its traits.*

*And "Dirt", while generally a good story, was guilty of making way too big a deal out of the lesbian characters' orientation.

Ghazi

I felt the character was handled adequately, but the game hit you over the head multiple times with his orientation.

Basically what Juices said.

Maybe I'm a moron, but I didn't even get an inkling of it until the
magazine cutscene

^ACTUAL SPOILER FOR THE LAST OF US>

I assumed he was referring to some other person/a woman in the past when was talking about someone he cared about. I thought Frank was just a friend who he cared about as a partner survivor in the apocalypse. I didn't give him the note so I didn't hear his reaction to it until I read about it later.

heckfu

Banned
Who says sex comes into it? I'm talking just a gay character in general. Usually they beat you over the head with it in a way that seems bizarre. Halo's future might be a bleak one is a lot of respects, but I do think they've established that not making a big deal out of who you're into is one of its traits.*

*And "Dirt", while generally a good story, was guilty of making way too big a deal out of the lesbian characters' orientation.

I still don't understand why you're against it. How are gay people different than straight people in terms of how they act or are presented?

Karl2177

he seemed pretty adamant about no gay characters. hell, chief could be gay for all we know. THEN WHERE'S THE ARGUMENT?! hAHAHAhaha

There's only a few ways to shoehorn sexuality into a futuristic shooter, and fushchshjfhgfjgyg doesn't trust the 343 writing team to do it justice when we have lines like "Eggheads" or "these Covenant seem more fanatical than the ones we fought before."

heckfu

Banned
There's only a few ways to shoehorn sexuality into a futuristic shooter, and fushchshjfhgfjgyg doesn't trust the 343 writing team to do it justice when we have lines like "Eggheads" or "these Covenant seem more fanatical than the ones we fought before."

"CHECK OUT THIS GUYS PROFILE. HIS NAME IS MASTR CHEF AND LOVES WIENER BIG TIME. EGGHEADS? MORE LIKE MUSHROOM HEADS!"

-The Prophet of Glitter

Fuchsdh

Your choice of words is apt--"shoehorn". While Halo is a broad universe where there might exist a place to stick romances, etc., that's not been in the games and I think it wouldn't be done successfully there if they tried. Bringing up someone's sexuality at all is often just going to feel gratuitous. I'm sure there are plenty of homosexuals walking around Infinity, but as you point out, they look like any human being out there. That's as it should be.

Ghazi

Can we have some Covenant or Promethean cross species romances in the next game plz Frankie.

There has to be equality if you're putting in gay romances plz plz plz plz plz Frankie.

Madness

I think Mass Effect 3 handled it perfectly. There is like one or two 'conversations' that come up and after that, it never comes up again depending on how you answered. Don't want to spoil it for anyone as to when or what is said. It doesn't get made into a big deal for anyone. It's a game where relationships not only friendly but sexual come into play, plus it's a game where the main protagonist is an everyman/everywoman so it can easily fit.

For Halo however, the reason it would seem arbitrary or out of place is that sexual orientation, gender identity or even sexual relationships have never been a part of the Halo universe before. I think Halsey and Keyes relationship is the only one I really know of from the games.

How you'd you even portray it? Hey chief, Didact is currently launching an assault on a neutral human/elite planet, meet up with Admiral Jones there, he's gay, so keep that in mind.

Now that a ridiculous example, but that's what I mean. You can pretty much assume there are gay characters in the Halo universe, maybe the best way to talk about or portray them would be novels or expanded comics. And then it becomes general knowledge or something. But to bring it into the games seems a bit pointless. Look how many people have an issue with Cortana and Chief getting all lovey dovey or emotional.

Though you could have some friendly banter with the Marines I guess. The conversations they have. Maybe in some cutscenes that show New Phoenix attacked, you could have some lgbt couples shown, much like the families or hetero couples shown in those reach commercials or cutscenes?

Omni

Damn. I've been playing through the original trilogy and I'm constantly reminded how awesome the sound track is in each game (sure a lot of it is built upon older versions [remixes as such], but still). Halo 2 especially, is so nostalgic these days. Could listen to it for hours.

Halo CEA
Installation 04.
Cloaked in Blackness

Halo 2
Remembrance.
High Charity Suite

Halo 3
Halo Reborn. (ultimately it's my favourite in the entire series)
Wake Me When You Need Me

Halo Reach
Lone Wolf.
Both Ways (remix)

Can't remember anything from ODST specifically... not sure why that is. Maybe it's just not memorable.

Halo 4's is meh. Nemesis was pretty awesome as is Green and Blue to a point.. but it's missing something, IMO.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is. I just got caught up listening to them on Youtube randomly. Oh well.

Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcbM9Pm7yOQ

I'm partial to this from Reach. Hits a lot of the music used in the game at key scenes. Marty is amazing.

But frank said this Jinnouchi guy is now their in house composer so hopefully he remixes a few tracks and does really good with Halo 5. Some music for Spartan Assault and Halo 5 reveal was good.

Have there been any games that handled a gay character successfully?

I'm all for a more diverse cast, as long as it's portrayed well.

Borderlands 2 (several characters and enemies are gay) and Fable III (one of the heroes for Fable 2 is bisexual).

But I think Halo writing is not yet ready for that kind of view.

Computron

Will someone confirm that Halo 2 Vista went down? I can't access it ATM, but it may be live acting up, i'm trying another profile.

Computron

EDIT 2: Yup, my bad. Was installing a new router this week and didn't forward the ports.

EDIT: Apparently not?

RIP Halo 2

Again....

Went out without a whimper, nor a bang:

Man, Google Reader also went down today, and Halo 3 will not be getting a stimulus of free Live Gold gamers tomorrow....

...What a day...

:-(

Halo 2 :'(

That game more than any other Halo deserves a second chance.

A remake with a Wider FOV, no POP-in, 1080p, 60 FPS, and a few new levels (come on, actually put in a little bit of work), and tightening up the current campaign levels (put the E3 demo cutscenes backin the game, and it could really, REALLY revitalize the Halo fanbase.

I'm saying retcon the old Halo 2 and redo it entirely (still retain 90% plus of the old game) but rework it and add to it to make it the Halo 2 everyone wanted.

Omni

Totally forgot about them! Maybe because I only completed the campaign once or twice.

What madness is this? Halo 3:ODST had the best soundtrack. So amazing, Marty's best work.
I'd argue that Halo 2 was his best work... But potato potato. ;)

RIP Halo 2.

Again....

Went out without a whimper, nor a bang:

Man, Google Reader also went down today, and Halo 3 will not be getting a stimulus of free Live Gold gamers tomorrow....

...What a day...

:-(
That isn't right...

I mean, they're not shutting down games for windows live. You should still be able to sign in.

Top Bottom