• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

belushy

Banned
Virgin Gaming favorite one of my tweets telling Waypoint's twitter that Halo 5 should have a Spectator Mode. Obviously means nothing at this point, though hopefully they are pushing 343 to add one so tournaments like Halo GC are easier to broadcast if they do decide to more later.

There are a few guys that play Halo 4 quite frequently.

ExWife, myself, Daedelus(wtf how do you spell this shit), Ice, Wahrer, some others. I'm not sure how often they play, but I typically get on 2-3 times a week for a few hours.

Daedalililililililius.

I'm on Halo 4 generally Thurs-Saturday nights, 'murica time. Sometime I want to try playing Reach again, maybe 3.

Ghazi

Wahrer still plays 4? I rarely see him on Xbox Live at all. If I end up getting Halo 4 again I should play it with ya'll, the only times I had fun in that game was when I played with other people. Mostly ExWife.

Wahrer still plays 4? I rarely see him on Xbox Live at all. If I end up getting Halo 4 again I should play it with ya'll, the only times I had fun in that game was when I played with other people. Mostly ExWife.

lol you can have fun with any game literally if you play with someone. wahrer is probably playing Halo 3 on the low.

Virgin Gaming favorite one of my tweets telling Waypoint's twitter that Halo 5 should have a Spectator Mode. Obviously means nothing at this point, though hopefully they are pushing 343 to add one so tournaments like Halo GC are easier to broadcast if they do decide to more later.

If Halo 5 doesn't have a spectator mode (which it will since we've seen a step in that direction in Halo 4 with killcams, even if they are shitty), I will eat my shoes.

Ghazi

lol you can have fun with any game literally if you play with someone. wahrer is probably playing Halo 3 on the low.

I play most of my games alone :(

Maybe that's why my favorite times of an FPS were MW3 where I literally played hundreds of hours only with a group of friends.

On that note, I should probably try playing Battlefield 3 with a group of people the next time I play it.

If you do end up buying the "Game of the Year" edition, I call dibs on the Avatar Cloak that comes with it. :p

Also, I'm going to end up buying Halo 4 again, I'll probably pick up a cheap copy somewhere next week.

NOKYARD

Feels like a Halo fan:
Accepting less and making excuses for it.

Traditionally, Halo maps have fallen into one of four categories (as they relate to forge): A dedicated forge map, a large space with a full forge pallet (Avalanche, Tempest), a large space with a limited inventory (Sandtrap, Breakpoint, Boneyard) or a small map with next to no forge pieces (Heretic, Guardian, Reflection).

For a small symmetric space it contains way more items than any previous offering has to date. How is this accepting less? They never advertised it as a forge space.

heckfu

Banned

you're overthinking that one

Heh, talked to the couple Bungie employees this weekend that had some choice words about Invasion.

I've said too much

CARRRLLLLLLL

What did he say? Invasion was seriously my favorite gametype in Halo:Reach, I'm shocked by all the hate Invasion received from the Halo fanbase. Invasion Slayer was horrible and unbalanced, but Invasion itself, while ruined by the horrible maps, was a fun gamemode.

FyreWulff

Invasion's downside is the maps had to be huge and the gametype was extremely involved to set up and debug. Awesome gametype, but tons of overhead to even get an Invasion map to the testing phase, let alone the last 10% of polish. Also, the maps were only good at Invasion, and nothing else.

Fuchsdh

Heh, talked to the couple Bungie employees this weekend that had some choice words about Invasion.

I've said too much

CARRRLLLLLLL

I feel like both 343 and Bungie got really close to an excellent gametype with Dominion and Invasion, but they ultimately missed the mark a bit (although I think with the updates to Dominion it's a superior gametype compared to Invasion.)

Also, there are some awesome Spartan costumes coming from the 405th. And I think they did an amazing job with the Spartan-IVs, they look better than they do in the game.

oSe9byj.jpg

See the album on Facebook (the Recruit guy runs around with a can of Mtn Dew in some shots I think.)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.664776800206904.1073741825.110272748990648&type=1

ExWife, myself, Daedelus(wtf how do you spell this shit), Ice, Wahrer, some others. I'm not sure how often they play, but I typically get on 2-3 times a week for a few hours.

Funk abandoned me. I got the Warthog in the divorce :(

Hmm, I guess I'll try and meet up with your guys sometime then.

gAg CruSh3r

I get on as well at least 2-3 times a week. I normally get on at night or on weekend mornings :)

I'm like 98% sure that we're already friends on XBL, right? BlueThunder? Either way, my gamertag is the same as it is here. Send me a request and I'll invite you if I'm ever on.

Daedalililililililius.

I'm on Halo 4 generally Thurs-Saturday nights, 'murica time. Sometime I want to try playing Reach again, maybe 3.

lol I was close.

I remember playing with him not that long ago. But now that I think about it it's been a while.

Top 5 xbox 360 games by gametrailers

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8v9h07/gt-countdown-top-5-xbox-360-exclusives

Relax and take notes 343 ; )

Why should they? Halo 4 is "the best-selling Microsoft Studios title ever in the U.S. market". Obviously this will continue and Halo 5 will top Halo 4 in sales. 343i gave the people what they wanted and will continue to do so in the future. 343i is comprised of top tier talent in the gaming industry, they know what they are doing and don't need to care about some silly list.

heckfu

Banned
Why should they? Halo 4 is "the best-selling Microsoft Studios title ever in the U.S. market". Obviously this will continue and Halo 5 will top Halo 4 in sales. 343i gave the people what they wanted and will continue to do so in the future. 343i is comprised of top tier talent in the gaming industry, they know what they are doing and don't need to care about some silly list.

it's like you started on one end of the spectrum and ended on the other. i hope karl takes you off ignore so he can respond to this...he's more eloquent than i am.

I'm like 98% sure that we're already friends on XBL, right? BlueThunder? Either way, my gamertag is the same as it is here. Send me a request and I'll invite you if I'm ever on.

lol I was close.

I remember playing with him not that long ago. But now that I think about it it's been a while.
Yeah, that's my GT. We've played a couple of times, but not anytime recently.

I get on as well at least 2-3 times a week. I normally get on at night or on weekend mornings :)

My GT is BlueThunder850

That was PR spin from Microsoft. Halo 3 still has it beat in sales. Halo 5 is not guaranteed to top any others in sales since people now know to be cautious and they don't have the luxury of people having the system for a long time.

Nowise10

I cant tell what the meaning in this post is supposed to be

Omni

Why should they? Halo 4 is "the best-selling Microsoft Studios title ever in the U.S. market". Obviously this will continue and Halo 5 will top Halo 4 in sales.
Obviously Halo 5 won't top Halo 4 in sales. The userbase of the X1 will be a fraction of what the 360's was in 2012.

343i gave the people what they wanted and will continue to do so in the future. 343i is comprised of top tier talent in the gaming industry, they know what they are doing and don't need to care about some silly list.
Halo_Charts_Graph.jpg

Yeah, 343i totally gave people what they wanted. They might be talented individually when they aren't just blatantly copying shit from Call of Duty, but Halo 4 has shown us that when it comes to working as a singular team trying to achieve a universal vision, they have no idea what they're doing.
Though it doesn't seem unlikely that Halo 5 will be a better product than Halo 4, but that's not really the point now

How come people feel every game needs to play like cod. KZ is fine in terms of movement.

I never said anything about playing like CoD, the hell with that. KZ looks fine as it is, I just wish it was at least Halo 4 speed.

Now I have no way to drive to the games.. Thanks FUBAMA.

Traditionally, Halo maps have fallen into one of four categories (as they relate to forge): A dedicated forge map, a large space with a full forge pallet (Avalanche, Tempest), a large space with a limited inventory (Sandtrap, Breakpoint, Boneyard) or a small map with next to no forge pieces (Heretic, Guardian, Reflection).

For a small symmetric space it contains way more items than any previous offering has to date. How is this accepting less? They never advertised it as a forge space.

I think with the massive following and budget supporting the Halo franchise we should be expecting and receiving way more than what we've usually come to expect over the years. Also, how does the bold even happen? Why isn't there a larger budget if they gave us so much space? Why are these spaces blocked off anyway (requiring glitches) when they know Forgers will make maps out of anything? How can other studios with less talent and money accomplish more than Microsoft's flagship franchise?

iMad, don't mind me.

That was PR spin from Microsoft. Halo 3 still has it beat in sales. Halo 5 is not guaranteed to top any others in sales since people now know to be cautious and they don't have the luxury of people having the system for a long time.

Good point. Microsoft is most definitely going to push this Halo unlike any other.

The media coverage for Halo 5 next year will push sales of the Xbox One. The console's install base will not be an issue.

And peak player count doesn't mean much. Halo 3 included everyone online, not just those in the multiplayer portion of the game like Halo 4 does. Halo fans liked the changes made with Reach, that is why 343i continued on with them and even advanced them.

Halo has changed; it's time we all change with it and just learn to adapt.

-Edit-

I guess it's not clear, I was responding to randomrosso. Not just posting random gibberish like some of you seem to think.

heckfu

Banned
The media coverage for Halo 5 next year will push sales of the Xbox One. The console's install base will not be an issue.

And peak player count doesn't mean much. Halo 3 included everyone online, not just those in the multiplayer portion of the game like Halo 4 does. Halo fans liked the changes made with Reach, that is why 343i continued on with them and even advanced them.

can i report you for trolling? this is 100% counter-intuitive to any rational thinking.

Oh now i get it ; )

Fracas

#fuckonami

What

Someone else dissect this and shoot this down, I have to go finish my laundry

NOKYARD

I think with the massive following and budget supporting the Halo franchise we should be expecting and receiving way more than what we've usually come to expect over the years. Also, how does the bold even happen? Why isn't there a larger budget if they gave us so much space? Why are these spaces blocked off anyway (requiring glitches) when they know Forgers will make maps out of anything? How can other studios with less talent and money accomplish more than Microsoft's flagship franchise?

I believe you highlight the text and hit the big B at the top.

what the fuck did i just read?

Omni

just learn to adapt.
tumblr_moo9voVLTa1rc407qo1_250.gif

Seriously though... You have a very skewed and misinformed view of the franchise. It's rather interesting, if anything.

Ghazi

What the...

Oh, edit.

Anyway, I'm more pissed that I spent $100 to beta test Halo 5 for 343. All that money wasted :(

I usually stalk Fracas,Redciclone and Frankinator when they play halo 4.

I will try to add more to play.

heckfu

Banned
way to go 343. the tourney made me really want to play again, champions etc stuff purchased. i'll be on this week, nerds.

wwm0nkey

-Edit-

I guess it's not clear, I was responding to randomrosso. Not just posting random gibberish like some of you seem to think.
I'm pretty sure I'm reading gibberish.

I've said too much

Were they about how awesome (ie, un-questionable) and easily extendable the Halo engine was by any chance?

Or was it about biting of more than they could chew by having to make not only working stage-oriented maps (that were iffy for all the other gametypes), but also balance different player traits and different weapons for each team?

I mean, it was fun enough and all, but... not worth it.

TCKaos

-Edit-

I didn't know people were waiting on B.net for three years for their registration to go through.

5.gif

The performance of the predecessor by and large drives the sales of the sequel. With the entirely relevant nosedive that Halo 4's peak population has taken I doubt that Halo has the reputation to push the sales of the One in any meaningful way, especially given the One's price tag that's just overflowing with additional-value-it-doesn't-actually-have or however we're spinning that this week.

We're sitting at an average of 6.6% player retention going by the peak player population numbers (which aren't the best numbers, but 343i has for whatever arbitrary reason made the rest of the statistics unavailable as far as I know, where Bungie made unique player count public. This seems to be indicative of their entire strategy with Halo 4).

Customers want features - features that function out of the box on day one. Customers want theaters, and fileshares, and spectator a mode, and sensible map design, and decent gametypes, and generally a breadth of new features, returning features and improved features. In almost all possible realms of comparison outside of the actual gameplay itself Halo 4 was objectively worse than its predecessors. File shares outright didn't function for months after launch (where with smaller teams and fewer resources Bungie was able to have them functioning during the Halo 3 and Reach Betas and before the games were launched), theater no longer allowed for group viewing, Campaign and SpOps weren't compatible with theater, the UIs related to all of these features were clumsy and difficult to navigate, Forge had fewer features than in Reach, Halo 4 had fewer gametypes and fewer maps, there was no skill-based rating and the companion website is slow, messy and requires a scavenger hunt to properly navigate for stats.

Halo 4 did not supply these things, and I think it's unreasonable to expect customers to think that Halo 5 will.

Were they about how awesome (ie, un-questionable) and easily extendable the Halo engine was by any chance?

Or was it about biting of more than they could chew by having to make not only working stage-oriented maps (that were iffy for all the other gametypes), but also balance different player traits and different weapons for each team?

I mean, it was fun enough and all, but... not worth it.

It was actually about how Invasion was basically a bastard step child (that they weren't exactly happy with) of something that was being created early in the process that was described as insanely ambitious.

Defect

It was actually about how Invasion was basically a bastard step child (that they weren't exactly happy with) of something that was being created early in the process that was described as insanely ambitious.
I think they showed some early version at a panel.

Top Bottom