• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

It was actually about how Invasion was basically a bastard step child (that they weren't exactly happy with) of something that was being created early in the process that was described as insanely ambitious.

Any more details?

I imagine if they had more time Invasion would have been something really special.

The media coverage for Halo 5 next year will push sales of the Xbox One. The console's install base will not be an issue.

And peak player count doesn't mean much. Halo 3 included everyone online, not just those in the multiplayer portion of the game like Halo 4 does. Halo fans liked the changes made with Reach, that is why 343i continued on with them and even advanced them.

Halo has changed; it's time we all change with it and just learn to adapt.

-Edit-

I guess it's not clear, I was responding to randomrosso. Not just posting random gibberish like some of you seem to think.
The only "Real" change competitively in Halo 4 is Team Throwdown. Imo.
Seriously? What about global updates like turbo (4-shot BR) and base movement speed or playlist/variant specifics like disabling instant respawn or personal ordnance? What about Pitfall or Ricochet? What about interacting/promoting AGL or cartographer settings/maps?

I could keep going...
And? Those updates are nice and all.. but being realistic, did they bring back the pros and competitive players that left for BO2 or BF3? No.

The only "Real" change competitively in Halo 4 is Team Throwdown. Imo.

Seriously? What about global updates like turbo (4-shot BR) and base movement speed or playlist/variant specifics like disabling instant respawn or personal ordnance? What about Pitfall or Ricochet? What about interacting/promoting AGL or cartographer settings/maps?

I could keep going...

And? Those updates are nice and all.. but being realistic, did they bring back the pros and competitive players that left for BO2 or BF3? No.

Sure there is a sore spot from the launch line up still, less cash up for grabs for pros and more ground to cover before the full swing competitive scene is "back to MLG/ESPN heights". However, tell me the finals of GC wasn't at that level? Seriously it was at least equal to and I personally think far better than MLG of old. Even the Virgin tournament had pros competing, I distinctly remember StrongSide winning the Warthog truck. Now look at the GC and see the laundry list of pros/ex-pros that returned for a chance at the $200K. In short yes it did bring pros back and leapfrog/compliment AGL at the same time.

Fast forward to X1 and what do you think is going to happen? More tournaments and more events. I wouldn't be surprised to see a global launch tournament prior to Halo X1/5 release comprised of FFA, 4v4/5v5 team and possible BTB objective as distinct events. Remove the saltiness and take a fresh look at the last 6-9 months of Halo then fast forward to the next 6-18 months. IMO Hell yes competitive Halo is coming back and it all just really got on track from the GC like a Bungie ninja on fire of old.

Look at the tweets from Snipedown or Goldenboy and see what his happening right in front us.

Here's a little list just from the Day 1 results of the finals, let alone how many pros played in the event qualifiers or online:
Ace
BesT MaN
DeRsKeezY
ElamiteWarrior
Elumnite
Enable
Flamesword
IGotUrPistola
Legit
Neighbor
OGRE 2
RyaNoob
ShockWav3
SK
Snipedown
SUDDOTH 1
T2
(that is just the Day 1 results, how many competed in the qualifiers or online?)

Special Mentions
Bravo
GoldenBoy
Gh057ayame
Quinn

I really hope Halo 5 can somehow recapture the magic. I miss this:

ibeDIqpItiClmS.gif

FyreWulff

Any more details?

I imagine if they had more time Invasion would have been something really special.

Invasion used to have purchasing and currency and stuff.

Basically they've been trying to do Invasion since Halo 2 and finally shipped a version of it in Reach. For example, Sandtrap used to be an Invasion map.

If you've ever played C&C Renegade, basically that + Battlefield

Playable Elites in 2 and 3 were actually remnants of attempting Invasion.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I really hope Halo 5 can somehow recapture the magic. I miss this:

ibeDIqpItiClmS.gif

There's a reason why Halo 3 was the end of the Halo trilogy.

We believed because it was humanity's last stand.
We believed because the Master Chief was their only hope.
We believed because there was something to believe in.

Master Chief no longer feels like a hero to me. And it doesn't make me care more or connect with him AS A HEWMAN. It makes me disinterested.

Madness

Yeah I know, not another poll type question, but did those of you who've been to PAX/Gamescom recently, have your minds changed or your decisions solidified in which consoles you're getting for next gen, if at all.

i.e. Playing the demos, holding the controllers etc.

I'm leaning PS4 simply because of price/power, but I'd rather have the XbOne controller, Halo 5/TitanFall and the better live services if I have to keep paying to play.

Nebula

The media coverage for Halo 5 next year will push sales of the Xbox One. The console's install base will not be an issue.

And peak player count doesn't mean much. Halo 3 included everyone online, not just those in the multiplayer portion of the game like Halo 4 does. Halo fans liked the changes made with Reach, that is why 343i continued on with them and even advanced them.

Halo has changed; it's time we all change with it and just learn to adapt.

-Edit-

I guess it's not clear, I was responding to randomrosso. Not just posting random gibberish like some of you seem to think.

Halo fans showed a great dislike for what Reach brought, hence the reason a TU was released changing a lot of the things we didn't like into things we didn't like a little bit less. The games population and most of my friends from Halo 3 quitting the game more than prove that Reach was not liked.

Also you can't just adapt and change at will. You can't just magically enjoy a game or tolerate what it offers. Halo has changed, for the worse. It's up to us to try and tell 343 that this is what we believe, and obviously what other players believe.

Sure there is a sore spot from the launch line up still, less cash up for grabs for pros and more ground to cover before the full swing competitive scene is "back to MLG/ESPN heights". However, tell me the finals of GC wasn't at that level? Seriously it was at least equal to and I personally think far better than MLG of old. Even the Virgin tournament had pros competing, I distinctly remember StrongSide winning the Warthog truck. Now look at the GC and see the laundry list of pros/ex-pros that returned for a chance at the $200K. In short yes it did bring pros back and leapfrog/compliment AGL at the same time.

Fast forward to X1 and what do you think is going to happen? More tournaments and more events. I wouldn't be surprised to see a global launch tournament prior to Halo X1/5 release comprised of FFA, 4v4/5v5 team and possible BTB objective as distinct events. Remove the saltiness and take a fresh look at the last 6-9 months of Halo then fast forward to the next 6-18 months. IMO Hell yes competitive Halo is coming back and it all just really got on track from the GC like a Bungie ninja on fire of old.

Look at the tweets from Snipedown or Goldenboy and see what his happening right in front us.

Here's a little list just from the Day 1 results of the finals, let alone how many pros played in the event qualifiers or online:
Ace
BesT MaN
DeRsKeezY
ElamiteWarrior
Elumnite
Enable
Flamesword
IGotUrPistola
Legit
Neighbor
OGRE 2
RyaNoob
ShockWav3
SK
Snipedown
SUDDOTH 1
T2
(that is just the Day 1 results, how many competed in the qualifiers or online?)

Special Mentions
Bravo
GoldenBoy
Gh057ayame
Quinn
I get where you're coming. You're topic is about the competitive community and competitive tournaments.

That's not what I was directing my posts about "Real" competitive changes. I'm primarily discussing the actual gameplay & gametypes.

nillapuddin

Nice.

I'm not a fan of the Ricochet shot clock because it doesn't seem to have a proper cool down. If you toss the ball away at the peak of the audible warning you explode if you pick it up again, even after waiting a minute.

Yeah, thats why you need teamwork really, self passes arent usually beneficial, Im not in love with it, but its still flexible enough of a variable that I am enjoying it

Code:
[B]Blitzenball[/B]

Gametype: [URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/runnokyardrun/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0"]Blitzenball[/URL]
Map: [URL="http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/runnokyardrun/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0"]Toxic[/URL]. Set in the toxic wasteland outside of Pitfall.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibmQYntzWwyqrq.jpeg[/IMG]

Seems pretty cool for sure, Ill check it out, letcha know what I think

NOKYARD

Seems pretty cool for sure, Ill check it out, letcha know what I think
Also have a version of the same game/map on Impact called Chimerical.

It's based on a Jetpack Grifball map which was heading to MM but was stalled in test because it depended on Player Trait Zones to function correctly. It would have been the first and only map in Halo MM which uses zero solid objects. Jetpack Ricochet variants play better on it than Grifball variants due to the dual goal types and the fact that you can't change the scoring radius of a Grifball goal in Halo 4.

You should try decorating your maps with Dominion pieces. Activate them using the RICO_DECORATION label and assign to a team.

ibggPAfDq4I8KP.jpeg

heckfu

Banned
Can someone talented make a quidditch gametype based off ricochet? low grav, multiple (and smaller) goals? CAN SUCH A THING EXIST?

NOKYARD

Can someone talented make a quidditch gametype based off ricochet? low grav, multiple (and smaller) goals? CAN SUCH A THING EXIST?

Maybe, when the proper version of Ricochet comes out later today.

[edit] The Golden Snitch might be difficult to replicate.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Been going back to Reach a little more, and really still enjoying it. However, had another guy on who thought Armor Lock was the what everyone should be using. I've ran into these types before and technically they're not wrong, AL is absolutely the most broken ability.

But to see someone defend it as much as I defend the close quarter weapons...man I honestly feel for 343 at times. There are so many different opinions on everything. You really can't please all these different "types" of Halo players.

Seriously though, Armor Lock is the stupidest pause button known to man, and anyone who says using it is a skill is the worst type of Halo player.

Fuchsdh

FUDcast-CoverMini.png

Forward Unto Dawn Podcast Ep. 12: Forerunner Poncho

In which we catch up on old news (Halo 5 and the possibilities of a Spielberg Halo TV series), and touch on new fiction tidbits (Spartan Assault and the first issue of Halo Initiation.)

You can grab it via iTunes once the feed is updated, or listen to it now on ForwardUntoDawn.com, or via Youtube (because our hosting is often wonky.)

Enjoy!

Purplemage

Neo Member
Well, there is a skill to knowing when to use it to block melees and quickly exit to beat down, etc., but I'm not going to argue that it takes much mastery.

I can agree with that point, you have to have decent timing. But as you said its too easy to go back down and do another quick emp pop.

If it was a one off with a long recharge I'd be far more comfortable. But the amount of times I've seen it stop a sword followed by a sword block or just someone holding it down till a teammate swoops in is just ridiculous.

Such a neat idea, and absolutely the best ability. Pity it breaks so much else in the process.

Fuchsdh

I can agree with that point, you have to have decent timing. But as you said its too easy to go back down and do another quick emp pop.

If it was a one off with a long recharge I'd be far more comfortable. But the amount of times I've seen it stop a sword followed by a sword block or just someone holding it down till a teammate swoops in is just ridiculous.

Such a neat idea, and absolutely the best ability. Pity it breaks so much else in the process.

Yeah. I think it would have been cool to have a split-second version with a long CD. I know some people would still be against it as a "get out of jail free card", and I see their point, but I think it would have solved a lot of the gripes.

Alternatively (or additionally), give it a charge time so they can't immediately lock and thus have to forsee what's coming.

I guess while I didn't have as many issues with it as many did, I don't think we suffer for lack of it either :)

Feorax

Lol! Just managed to assassinate someone right next to the goal in a ricochet game, and it turns out the "protect this house" achievement is fucking glitched.

That's really poor form from 343i, even by the shitty standard already set.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
FUDcast-CoverMini.png

Forward Unto Dawn Podcast Ep. 12: Forerunner Poncho

In which we catch up on old news (Halo 5 and the possibilities of a Spielberg Halo TV series), and touch on new fiction tidbits (Spartan Assault and the first issue of Halo Initiation.)

You can grab it via iTunes once the feed is updated, or listen to it now on ForwardUntoDawn.com, or via Youtube (because our hosting is often wonky.)

Enjoy!

Thanks for the youtube option. Better for checking out at work.

Fotos

Lol! Just managed to assassinate someone right next to the goal in a ricochet game, and it turns out the "protect this house" achievement is fucking glitched.

Did the person you assassinated have the ball?

Vico

I'm watching the end of the tourney.
Had to stop mid-way through the other day, because it was too late in Europe.

Shit's intense.

Good job, 343.
It was a great show.

Was this posted?
http://stevivor.com/2013/09/halo-5s-plot-outed-microsoft-store/

Possible Halo 5 plot?

"In possession of a mysterious data chip, Petty Officer John-117, aka Master Chief, confronts a new battery of challenges and tests in a Herculean effort to stay alive in a galaxy where sentient life is mercilessly hunted. Pre-order the next chapter in the wildly popular Halo series designed exclusively for Xbox One," reads the game's listing.

The listing also has a 31 December 2014 release date, but that's largely considered a placeholder.

Microsoft has declined to comment on the now-removed listing. - See more at: http://stevivor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2273&p=2577#sthash.E7sT5jJE.dpuf

Microsoft officialy announced The xbox and games prices on Mexico, they lost me.

There goes my hopes of getting retail games on this console. 83$ for games and I doubt the digital pieces will be cheaper to buy.

The ball have to be on his control all the time while you are killing him, if he threw the ball before the assassination or the ball becomes neutral that doesnt count for the achievement

...I thought Microsoft did comment saying it was false information not given by 343 or Microsoft, which kind of doesn't make sense, but its what I read somewhere.

Frankie commented on it, saying how poorly worded it was, etc. I'm guessing that someone who possibly knew something small did an awful job writing the summary and that wasn't the official premise.

Frankie commented on it, saying how poorly worded it was, etc. I'm guessing that someone who possibly knew something small did an awful job writing the summary and that wasn't the official premise.

Everything in the description could be surmised from the trailer anyway. "Mysterious data chip," "threatens to destroy all sentient life" (seeker / forerunner peyote bird thing), etc.

Nowise10

I'd also like to publicly announce that I will never play Halo 4 again as I snapped my disc in half due to frustration in the game, and knowing I would never have to deal with it again. Yes I took it that far.

I also ended up cutting my hand in the process. It now hurts to lather shampoo on my head

J10

Banned
I'd also like to publicly announce that I will never play Halo 4 again as I snapped my disc in half due to frustration in the game, and knowing I would never have to deal with it again. Yes I took it that far.

I also ended up cutting my hand in the process.

You would rather destroy the disc and bring physical harm upon yourself than just sell or trade it.

You played it for too long.

Everything in the description could be surmised from the trailer anyway. "Mysterious data chip," "threatens to destroy all sentient life" (seeker / forerunner peyote bird thing), etc.

True.

I also ended up cutting my hand in the process. It now hurts to lather shampoo on my head

Lol, seriously..?

Why not just sell it.

Or put it away.

FyreWulff

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

heckfu

Banned

hahaha what a move. get some anger management, bro.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Glad to see you have some sort of self-control.

Broken stuff can be sharp. Cutting your self is Bad, Mkay.

Butane123

Man, that was a good disc. You could of gotten like $3 for it at Gamestop.

Invasion used to have purchasing and currency and stuff.

Basically they've been trying to do Invasion since Halo 2 and finally shipped a version of it in Reach. For example, Sandtrap used to be an Invasion map.

If you've ever played C&C Renegade, basically that + Battlefield

Playable Elites in 2 and 3 were actually remnants of attempting Invasion.

Ah, I think I remember you mentioning this before. I would really kill to see this mode fully realized in a future Halo title, perhaps evolved and adapted. If 343 wants to add perks, etc, this type of mode would be perfect for it.

I would love seeing a Invasion (concept) + Dominion + higher player count + 343 perk/AA/Loadout system come to life

There's a reason why Halo 3 was the end of the Halo trilogy.

We believed because it was humanity's last stand.
We believed because the Master Chief was their only hope.
We believed because there was something to believe in.

Master Chief no longer feels like a hero to me. And it doesn't make me care more or connect with him AS A HEWMAN. It makes me disinterested.

I agree. I feel 343 really devalued the original Halo trilogy by forcing us to fight Covenant again, and basically ignoring all the story evolutions and characters from Halo 3. If they took a bold new direction, yet acknowledged where the Universe lay at the end of Halo 3 I would have enjoyed it much more.

Top Bottom