• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

thinking about getting one map pack, which one do you recommend me?

Either majestic or the champions bundle, i can't comment on the champions bundle, since i haven't played it yet, but people seem to like it, and you get more bang for your buck with the armor and weapon skins.

Majestic's maps are alright, better than the trash that was Crimson.

Akai__

Guys you are doing it wrong. You have to brag with your Inheritor rank. That's the only way we can determine your skill level.

Still can't believe, that people actually do this. LOL

Guys you are doing it wrong. You have to brag with your Inheritor rank. That's the only way we can determine your skill level.

Still can't believe, that people actually do this. LOL

58PYjH8.png

amidoingitright?

Omni

Ranks in Reach were so... I can't think of the word. Excessive, maybe.

I played the game for so long, got really burnt out on it all and hated the world, but still only got to Mythic or something like that. I probably would have enjoyed the game a lot better if I didn't try to reach Inheritor

Nothing to do with skill, but I have to respect anyone who found the mental strength within them to boost or play themselves up to the highest rank

:lol

J10

Banned
My K/D with Armor Lock in Reach is 3. LOL

My K/D with the Magnum is 2.17. WTF

EDIT: Shit, I was looking at the wrong stats.

My K/D with Armor lock is 19.67.

Magnum is 3.31.

That's even more absurd.

FyreWulff

Ranks in Reach were so... I can't think of the word. Excessive, maybe.

I played the game for so long, got really burnt out on it all and hated the world, but still only got to Mythic or something like that. I probably would have enjoyed the game a lot better if I didn't try to reach Inheritor

Nothing to do with skill, but I have to respect anyone who found the mental strength within them to boost or play themselves up to the highest rank

:lol

I ended up at Eclipse so far. I think it would have made more sense if the payouts for everything kept going up as the game went along, but at some point it stalled out and old challenges kept showing up with 1000cR payouts

I'm testing my Rocket Race variant in 30 minutes, no Rocket Hog today because reasons, sorry.

Message Gabotron ES over Live and I'll send you an invitation. You shall not distribute or share the gametype with ANYONE, please don't do it.

If your gamertag is not the same as your GAF username specify who are you.

I have no mic, if you find any bug or some weird shit happens just write a post over here, new ideas or additions are cool to, share them.

Hopefully we get a 6 or 8 players lobby going.

Fuchsdh

I'm testing my Rocket Race variant in 30 minutes, no Rocket Hog today because reasons, sorry.

Message Gabotron ES over Live and I'll send you an invitation. You shall not distribute or share the gametype with ANYONE, please don't do it.

If your gamertag is not the same as your GAF username specify who are you.

I have no mic, if you find any bug or some weird shit happens just write a post over here, new ideas or additions are cool to, share them.

Hopefully we get a 6 or 8 players lobby going.

I shall be around prolly, GT Pixelfox.

Nowise10

Funny how things change.

Nowise what changed your opinion on Halo 4, after defending it for so "long"? I'm just interested, because you seemed to have fun with the game (and the mods).

If you actually want to read all of this be my guest, but most of the time I defended what I thought wasn't the issue, but my views still have changed. That and a combination of you cant really judge a game fully until a month or three after its out.

And then multiple stories over periods of times of such like:
"Halo has always had a steep learning curve which drew away alot of players, so we crafted Infinity Slayer to help bad players have a chance"

or

"Early on we had a game that was very classic to the original Halo's. But we scrapped it as it was to traditional"

or

"We hired people who hated Halo..."

So then they took Halo and tried to make it Call of Duty, but surprise! You cant make a better Call of Duty then Call of Duty.
Perks are terrible in Halo, DLC perks that aren't available for you until you spend $10 are terrible. Giving Limited Edition owners all 10 specializations while people like me were stuck for over a month with only 2. Terrible playlist management, terrible game management (343, do you even test your games), Cut features that should already be in the game, not working features at launch (We had to wait, what? 3 or 4 months until we got a working file browser?)
How many of you even check the file sharing system? Halo 3 in every matchmaking lobby I would check peoples file shares. In Reach I would check the most downloaded section every single day. In Halo 4, I honestly haven't touched the file sharing system unless its a modded gametype.

Then we have an annoying main menu UI on Halo 4, with annoying music (HEEEEHEEYYYHAAAAHOOOOOOHEEEEHAAAHOOOOHEHAHEHEEYYYY). Then the popular challenge system from Reach is now worthless (Bad UI helps it be worthless too!), as they literally gave no attempt, and have the same flipping challenges every single day/week/month, no variety (Kill 50 X / Finish X on legendary with X skulls on / Win X amount of matches).

Then back to the terrible gameplay that is beyond (No this is not a reference to the cockiness of Beyond Entertainment owners) frustrating with perks, armor mods, and amor abilities. Hold X is spawn is ridiculous 40% of the time. For the first 5 months like 80% of the playlist were focused on Infinity settings. I honestly enjoy Slayer Pro settings, it almost feels like good ol' Halo...But then we have like Halo 2 style bullet magnetism when aiming is 500% less clunky (most likely because Josh Holmes wanted that steep learning curve gone). A completely pointless ranking system that if you bought DewXP (which I did) got you too the top level within 2 months of the game out, even though the community was practically begging for a ranking system similar to halo 3, which even then they failed when it came out in May or whenever. So many elements that made Halo fun are literally thrown into the rain and forgotten about.

Then we have the Forge that honestly did that absolute bare minimum a game could do (<3 Vic Deleon and Kynan Pearson though for making Forge Island for free) and actually ended up almost making it worse then Reach by removing one of the most helpful tools created, replacing it for something that doesn't even work good.

Campaign I believe was well-done. The mission Composer was bad, and had so much potential (WHY would you make a level on a boring/dull unsc space station, when you had the biggest chance to have an entire level on a Halo ring!?) and one mission more or so would've been nice, but I was really happy with it.
Spartan Ops was decent. Had a lot of potential that just didn't happen, but I enjoyed it to relax at nice and shoot things.

So imagine that you are playing on Pitfall trying to sneak into the enemy base with a shotgun, and then you see you've been hit with Promethean vision by an enemy, and you are completely visible to this person now. 3 seconds pass, and then they throw a grenade behind the wall which rolls right beneath you, and then that person rushes in and kills you, because 343 made it an option to completely ruin stealth, and allow to see past walls. And now imagine when that happened, all of the information I just posted rushed through your head in the course of 1.2 seconds, so you took out your disc and snapped it, putting it to an end.

Akai__

58PYjH8.png

amidoingitright?

That doesn't count, because I know, that you are a good player. But yeah, you are doing it right. :p

Relevant:

But this is coming from an Inheritor in Halo Reach, so don't feel bad. Most people will never be as good as me.

His other responses in that thread are great, too. Pretty good laughs.

Edit:

Well, I agree with every single point. It just took you a bit longer to realize this. I don't blame you though. It's hard to realize, that your beloved franchise has turned to shit in some aspects. I couldn't let go either, so I just read the critique/comments on here and on other sites and continued playing, while I know, it was the truth. I don't play the game anymore, though. The last time I booted it up, was to get the achievements, because I'm an achievement whore. :lol

I don't miss Halo 4. It's an okay game to play with friends here and then, but it's not a great Halo game, in which I want to invest my time anymore.

DeadNames

Banned
Nowise, your life will be a lot better.

I don't even know if I will get an Xbox One. PC gaming is much more fun, and if Halo continues down this route, I will just look up the campaign.

But if 343 delivers a good Halo experience, I will probably pick up an Xbox One with Halo and Titanfall.

Part of me thinks that 343 will deliver a classic Halo experience, with the gradual peeling away of Infinity settings. With the tournament being a huge success, I feel 343 is starting to get a feel of what people actually want.

heckfu

Banned
I don't break my discs when I lose either.

But no, H3 was fine, I didn't really have a group to play with then; so I didn't really play very much.

But hey, way to go looking up my stats from a game like 5+ years ago when I didn't play much, and screenshotting it to put it in here. You deserve a pat on the back for effort.

For someone who often complains about the content of this thread, you've really shit it up lately.

I'll be on H4 tonight after my fantasy draft if anyone wants to roll in some ricochet madness.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Nowise, your life will be a lot better.

I don't even know if I will get an Xbox One. PC gaming is much more fun, and if Halo continues down this route, I will just look up the campaign.

But if 343 delivers a good Halo experience, I will probably pick up an Xbox One with Halo and Titanfall.

Part of me thinks that 343 will deliver a classic Halo experience, with the gradual peeling away of Infinity settings. With the tournament being a huge success, I feel 343 is starting to get a feel of what people actually want.

It's not happening.

Thanks to daedalos42 and Fuchsd(?) for joining and help me test my gametypes, if you have any more suggestions feel free to pm me or just post them here.

daedalius

For someone who often complains about the content of this thread, you've really shit it up lately.

I'll be on H4 tonight after my fantasy draft if anyone wants to roll in some ricochet madness.

Must be rubbing off on me.

Time for a chemical dip.

343 should go talk to Double Helix about how to please a fanbase. Besides the last character reveal, they've nailed everything about the new KI are have been listening to everything the community wants.

NOKYARD

all of the information I just posted rushed through your head in the course of 1.2 seconds, so you took out your disc and snapped it, putting it to an end.
You can't make a Halo Hockey game with the new Multi-Team Ricochet because the Golf Ball gets 'cleaned up' every 12 seconds by the same mechanism which removes all the dropped power weapons.

Add that to your list.

Strange thing is we now have the ability to make a proper Golf variant, it just plain doesn't work because of this.

Quick question: can I get any of the new achievements without the new dlc?

Yep, Score the ball three times, kill 4 with the rocket and assassinate someone with the ball. But you have to wait till they add ricochet to the playlist.

343 should go talk to Double Helix about how to please a fanbase. Besides the last character reveal, they've nailed everything about the new KI are have been listening to everything the community wants.

The gameplay still looks like Street fighter like the EX moves,ink effects and clunkly cancel combos animations bothers me.

The gameplay still looks like Street fighter like the EX moves,ink effects and clunkly cancel combos animations bothers me.

eh I've never really understood the Street Fighter comparisons, mainly because I played Street Fighter IV for less than an hour. The shadow moves and everything else looks fine imo.

But I'm not really even talking about that stuff. I'm talking about how the community asked for the announcer to be changed, blood to stay on the floor, combos to be harder to break, etc etc and everything was addressed. I don't think Double Helix ever said "this is OUR vision of Killer Instinct," and that's the point I'm trying to make.

Fuchsdh

eh I've never really understood the Street Fighter comparisons, mainly because I played Street Fighter IV for less than an hour. The shadow moves and everything else looks fine imo.

But I'm not really even talking about that stuff. I'm talking about how the community asked for the announcer to be changed, blood to stay on the floor, combos to be harder to break, etc etc and everything was addressed. I don't think Double Helix ever said "this is OUR vision of Killer Instinct," and that's the point I'm trying to make.

Not that this entirely invalidates your point, but KI is a pretty niche game that exists solely to exploit the hardcore, so it's not that surprising that they're entirely catering to that demo. Halo has to serve far, far more masters.

Basically they've been trying to do Invasion since Halo 2 and finally shipped a version of it in Reach. For example, Sandtrap used to be an Invasion map.

If you've ever played C&C Renegade, basically that + Battlefield.

I forgot to post on this earlier:

That actually sounds really cool, I loved Renegade and BF2 back in the day and can only imagine ordering Wraiths and MAC strikes(!) in a 64-player game. But that kind of thing is obviously a different beast from an arena shooter and trying to shoehorn them together is not a great idea, as I think we saw in Reach.

JDHarbs

343 needs to build upon Invasion in future Halo titles. I want driveable warships and space battles, dammit.
I still don't get why they called it Invasion when they already used that for the original name of Assault in Halo 1. I guess the name just fits it better.

Defect

I don't break my discs when I lose either.

But no, H3 was fine, I didn't really have a group to play with then; so I didn't really play very much.

But hey, way to go looking up my stats from a game like 5+ years ago when I didn't play much, and screenshotting it to put it in here. You deserve a pat on the back for effort.
Mad cuz bad :)

Top Bottom