• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

heckfu

Banned
Lol

I'm moving into halls for University in a few weeks and was looking to give the room a Halo feel and thought halo bedcovers would be cool. Never mind then :p

i'd suggest not that. unless it's an all-male university and then you'd fit right in with everyone else not getting laid.

Rtas

My girlfriend was actually looking for Halo themed Bed covers, we can't find them anywhere, its ridiculously annoying.

Fuchsdh

But the guns have a cohesive design between them for the different factions, which is the basis of "art direction". Whether you like how they look compared to older designs is besides the point.

I really like how the br looks, personally.

I think the BR took a step back for me in terms of the futuristic department--this one feels and even sounds much more like a modern weapon. Overall the weapons were pretty much a zero-net change for me; I like some of the sounds from the old ones better (FRG and the plasma pistol), some from the new ones better (the Needler even *sounds* sharp!), and for the most part the weapons' looks changed little between games.

I was going back and playing Reach's campaign yesterday, and the first thing that struck me was how much more like Halo it felt from the AV perspective. The second thing that struck me is how much worse it felt than playing Halo 1, 2, 3, or 4. I felt hobbled.

mj-laughing.gif

This page is gold.

If my girlfriend found out that I was so much as talking about video games online, she'd break up with me on the spot.

sounds like a shitty girlfriend to be honest

dump her ass first
exaggeration of course, she adores me. but seeing as i'm the nerdy type, and she isn't, i tend to not venture into territories she has no interest in.

So you're in a relationship with someone you have to hide your passions from.

Sounds great.

Ehhhh I can kind of understand. Vidya gaems are just an outlet to get away from the missus for a bit for a lot of people just like sports are. I mean I know some people would love to play Yoshi's Mysterious Dungeon Plunder Chrono Tensei Part IV: The Final Chapter HD Remix with their wives but I don't really see the appeal of it. I mean hell, I may be CEO of Gravity Gauntlet Industries but I'd rather a ladyfriend of mine push me out of my fat basement otaku comfort zone, not dwell in it with me.

That being said, if the bitch has a problem knowing her Olive Garden fund comes from crappy Halo fanfiction disguised as good original fanfiction, then we may have a problem.

Anyone up for some Rocket Race/ Early headhunter version testing tonight?

last night we were only 3, I'd need to see how the code reacts with more people.

Lol I guess I'll just stick with the poster then. +1 for common sense

If she's gonna be seeing this then hell, I'll whip up a poster vector for you or some shit. Last thing I need is you two boning and the mood gets ruined because you look up and see master chief saluting your raging semi. I'll figure out something abstract and halo-y. That way she thinks you're a classy guy and you get art from some Floridian fucker who moonlights as a mutant cat.

I was going back and playing Reach's campaign yesterday, and the first thing that struck me was how much more like Halo it felt from the AV perspective. The second thing that struck me is how much worse it felt than playing Halo 1, 2, 3, or 4. I felt hobbled.

Played some 3, Reach and Halo 4 last night with a usual party and in terms of movement, damage and just feeling in control of your Spartan it is easily Halo 4 as a clear winner. Not launch 4 but 4 as it stands now.

Reach vanilla DMR is utter shit going back to it now, some of the loadouts are just ugh too. Also what the fuck is all the blur in Reach, it's amazing what you get used to when playing a current-at-the-time game version. Seeing the UI party bar on the right was nice. Sprint as an AA choice was ok and seems like an interesting trade off against other AA's. Health packs were annoying. Finding games was real slow and objective in Reach is totally dead population wise.

Halo 3 BR sound is superior to 4 IMO, just a more gut style feel. No sprint sucks on returning to Halo 3 IMO. Last Resort is pure gold, timeless map and please bring a version or map inspired by Zanzibar/LR in X1. Predator customs in 3 are still fun as hell. Finding games was quick but dotted with quitters still even to this day. Pre game chat is still hilarious and players still care about in game rank, also rank verbal abuse still present.

I can see why JiP during matchmaking and start of games is a good choice now. Again the launch to now iteration feels spot on in 4.

Party chat when changing games is living room or LAN level shit. Anyhow just some random thoughts from playing those 3 Halo titles back to back last night. Only talking about multiplayer though.

Fuchsdh

Played some 3, Reach and Halo 4 last night with a usual party and in terms of movement, damage and just feeling in control of your Spartan it is easily Halo 4 as a clear winner. Not launch 4 but 4 as it stands now.

Reach vanilla DMR is utter shit going back to it now, some of the loadouts are just ugh too. Also what the fuck is all the blur in Reach, it's amazing what you get used to when playing a current-at-the-time game version. Seeing the UI party bar on the right was nice. Sprint as an AA choice was ok and seems like an interesting trade off against other AA's. Health packs were annoying. Finding games was real slow and objective in Reach is totally dead population wise.

Halo 3 BR sound is superior to 4 IMO, just a more gut style feel. No sprint sucks on returning to Halo 3 IMO. Last Resort is pure gold, timeless map and please bring a version or map inspired by Zanzibar/LR in X1. Predator customs in 3 are still fun as hell. Finding games was quick but dotted with quitters still even to this day. Pre game chat is still hilarious and players still care about in game rank, also rank verbal abuse still present.

I can see why JiP during matchmaking and start of games is a good choice now. Again the launch to now iteration feels spot on in 4.

Party chat when changing games is living room or LAN level shit. Anyhow just some random thoughts from playing those 3 Halo titles back to back last night. Only talking about multiplayer though.

Yeah I definitely think that overall I prefer Halo 4's feel of the 360 games. I can't really compare it to Halo 1 and 2 as well.

If they just hadn't changed so much stuff that didn't need changing, I personally would be much happier with the game. Everyone has their big focus, lots of people here focus on multi, and rightly so, but a lot of my enjoyment of the game does come down to a pure design and art level. If Halo 4 had been the first game in a new franchise I'm sure I would have loved it but changing things like Chief's armor, the Dawn, Jackal and Grunt anatomy and retconning the UNSC logo just make me feel out of sorts when I'm playing. I don't feel as home almost any time in 4 as I do in Reach, even if in Reach I'm failing to headshot some grunts with that weak bloomy pistol.

*Reclaimer's Librarian passage nailed that Halo feeling in a way none of the games since 1 had for me with the alien feel.

I dunno how a Halo Wars 2 would do, commercially. The first one only sold something north of 1 million units, which certainly isn't bad but a console RTS is a built-in limited audience, and I'm not sure what else they could do to improve on Ensemble's gameplay work and controls. The only pitfall of the game IMO was the weak story, which I think would be something improved by a post-Bungie world, but it doesn't seem like something worth revisiting to me.

On the other hand, if they're going to have Jun pop up alive, have the Spirit of Fire crew come in from the cold. There's a lot of good fodder there in the story. Would make an awesome comic or short fiction piece.

Wall of text time, sorry guys.

But the guns have a cohesive design between them for the different factions, which is the basis of "art direction". Whether you like how they look compared to older designs is besides the point.

I really like how the br looks, personally.

It's not that they're different, it's that they're really not that great. I mean, the details are nifty with the reload animations and such, but the overall look of the guns isn't very well done compared to previous games. In my opinion, the designs don't work as well as they should have from a basic gameplay standpoint or from an aesthetic standpoint, and while there is some stylistic cohesiveness, it's not balanced against everything else very well.

My biggest peeve is with the Promethean weapons, which you could say are cohesive to a fault. The Binary Rifle and the Light Rifle look way too much alike (easy recognition is a basic game art requirement), and the Promethean weapons as a whole are rather bland. For some reason, someone decided that silver and orange weapons shooting orange stuff, no exceptions, was the way to go.

Consistent, yes. But interesting? Not really, especially when you remember that the Covenant has a big yellow gun that shoots green things, a tiny blue gun that also shoots green things, a bigger blue gun that shoots blue things, and a purple gun that shoots purple things, etc. All the covenant weapons are obviously related, but they are also obviously different from one another (except for the Plasma Repeater, which was asinine, and the Storm Rifle, which I will get to).

343i had the opportunity to design a whole new set of iconic weapons and didn't do half the job Bungie did with the Covenant weapons, even with the lore of Hard Light (Space Magic) allowing them to justify any bizarre design they could come up with. I mean, UT99 and Duke Nukem 3D had more interesting-looking weapons and those games are from a million billion years ago. Case in point is the Scattershot. It's kind of lazily designed- they just had to make it look like a human shotgun even though ancient god/aliens are supposed to have designed it. Halo 3 already showed us we could have a shotgun that didn't look like a shotgun (Mauler) without players becoming terminally confused, so why not get slightly creative?

Outside Promethean weapons, you have the BR, SAW, and Railgun that are predominantly silver (and the SAW and BR have orange-yellow parts to boot!) that bleed over into the established Promethean style. And the Storm Rifle, why? They had a perfectly reasonable model in the Plasma Rifle, why revamp it just so it resembles the Carbine more? You could already tell by the color, shape, and what kind of bullets it shoots which faction it belongs to, and they made it harder to recognize for what it is by changing it. Just recently in Spartan Ops I thought I was picking up a Carbine and got a Storm Rifle since I confused their way-too-close profiles on the HUD.

There a lot of directions they could have gone, but I think UNSC weapons should have had a lot more black (ala Halo 3), Promethean weapons should have been more creative in their use of overall shape, color, and the glowy-hard light motif, and they should have left well enough alone for the Covenant.

Halo 4 BR is space FAMAS

daedalius

Wall of text time, sorry guys.

Halo 4 BR is space FAMAS

Unfortunately I feel like a lot of the gameplay design of the guns came down to their focus testing. Because apparently the people that were brought in for that wanted guns that immediately fell into a completely identifiable niche.

Promethean guns are cohesive, but to a fault yes I agree.

Storm Rifle makes no sense when they could have kept the much easier to read profile of the plasma rifle, especially when you compare it to the Carbine.

But FAMAS is awesome

blah blah blah blah blah

This is pretty much it. While still orange-bleh, the pulse nade was a much better design decision than most of the forerunner weaponry. Nevermind that you only get one in the default loadout settings for whatever reason. The grenade itself has a unique function. Each grenade type is very different in its usage, look, and function (damage/bounciness vs higher damage/adhesiveness/instasplode-strats vs space management/movement denial/shield-stripping/AOE). Meanwhile, DMR v LR v Carbine have minimal difference functionally beside damage output. RL v FRG v IC shouldn't even be a discussion, unfortunately, but whatever. Too much redundancy in function bled into redundancy in design.

Yeah I definitely think that overall I prefer Halo 4's feel of the 360 games. I can't really compare it to Halo 1 and 2 as well.

If they just hadn't changed so much stuff that didn't need changing, I personally would be much happier with the game. Everyone has their big focus, lots of people here focus on multi, and rightly so, but a lot of my enjoyment of the game does come down to a pure design and art level. If Halo 4 had been the first game in a new franchise I'm sure I would have loved it but changing things like Chief's armor, the Dawn, Jackal and Grunt anatomy and retconning the UNSC logo just make me feel out of sorts when I'm playing. I don't feel as home almost any time in 4 as I do in Reach, even if in Reach I'm failing to headshot some grunts with that weak bloomy pistol.

*Reclaimer's Librarian passage nailed that Halo feeling in a way none of the games since 1 had for me with the alien feel.

I dunno how a Halo Wars 2 would do, commercially. The first one only sold something north of 1 million units, which certainly isn't bad but a console RTS is a built-in limited audience, and I'm not sure what else they could do to improve on Ensemble's gameplay work and controls. The only pitfall of the game IMO was the weak story, which I think would be something improved by a post-Bungie world, but it doesn't seem like something worth revisiting to me.

On the other hand, if they're going to have Jun pop up alive, have the Spirit of Fire crew come in from the cold. There's a lot of good fodder there in the story. Would make an awesome comic or short fiction piece.

I agree with the Halo 4 on 360 not changing so much but I suppose they did it more for what comes on X1. I'm curious about all this engine, art, characters, story etc moving forward on X1. I think that's why we saw so much change, literally everything had to be rebuilt for next gen, tv shows etc. Halo 4 campaign suffered because of all that resource investment and limited 360 hardware. Now I want to see the fruits of all that investment/campaign sacrifice etc. I really did enjoy the animation quality in 4's campaign but it could have used less on the rails and I'm sure we'll feel more at home as the next title shouldn't be such a jarring amount of change.

I think Halo Wars sold something like 2-2.5 million by the end of its run. I really enjoyed the campaign and I suppose I should have played more multiplayer with that title. Damn straight some more of the story, assets and technology should come into the FPS titles. It was really nice to sort of see Spartan Assault have many elements from Halo Wars though. I'm guessing it's probably the Halo Wars engine underneath of SA? Anyone know?

If my girlfriend found out that I was so much as talking about video games online, she'd break up with me on the spot.

tumblr_mp8zncNXjn1ruxwvqo1_500.png

mj-laughing.gif

This page is gold.

exaggeration of course, she adores me. but seeing as i'm the nerdy type, and she isn't, i tend to not venture into territories she has no interest in.

Yeah that's called being incompatible. I had a GF like that who was awesome in every other areas except my passion. Know what I call her now?

Wife.

It doesn't get better man, once marriage and kids come they are A LOT more honest about what they hate about you. I'm 41, no mortgage and she STILL hates that I game.

Fuchsdh

Yeah that's called being incompatible. I had a GF like that who was awesome in every other areas except my passion. Know what I call her now?

Wife.

It doesn't get better man, once marriage and kids come they are A LOT more honest about what they hate about you. I'm 41, no mortgage and she STILL hates that I game.

I think it's kind of silly to expect your partner to be into all the same stuff. My girlfriend is about as nerdy as me, except where I'm into sci-fi, Star Trek, Halo and games she's into a lot of fantasy writing and runs her own magical realism webmag. We have activities we enjoy and we share similar mindsets, but it's nice being able to do different things independently and get a break.

One day I'm going to make a video to try and explain Halo's story to her though.

Danny 117

Defect

I can see why JiP during matchmaking and start of games is a good choice now.

Fuck that shit. It's one of the main reasons why I stopped playing. Got sick and tired of joining losing games alone and searching in 2's and 3's. It also sucks when you have to carry a random who joins in on your team.

At least give an option to disable it. And if there is ranked at all in Halo 5 get rid of it completely.

People quit when there is nothing to lose so penalize them like in Halo 3.

Wife.

lol, fuck dude, I don't know whether to be happy or sorry for you.

But me and my girlfriend are really into each other, we both have things that the other are not really into, she likes Teen Mom and all that shitty ABC family drama, and I'm into the Sci-Fi stuff like Doctor Who/Stargate/Halo and stuff. It's not a deal-breaker for either of us, I wouldn't really want to date someone who is exactly like me, I've done that before and it's really weird, especially when you can be as awkward as me sometimes.

That being said, if I had Halo bed-covers, I'd probably break up with me too.

I think it's kind of silly to expect your partner to be into all the same stuff. My girlfriend is about as nerdy as me, except where I'm into sci-fi, Star Trek, Halo and games she's into a lot of fantasy writing and runs her own magical realism webmag. We have activities we enjoy and we share similar mindsets, but it's nice being able to do different things independently and get a break.

One day I'm going to make a video to try and explain Halo's story to her though.

LOL, a couple years ago, my mom wanted me to explain the games to her, shit was cash.

I sat down and tried to explain it in depth for about 20 minutes, and she looked pretty sincere, when I asked her about it a couple days later, didn't remember a thing lol.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Ehhhh I can kind of understand. Vidya gaems are just an outlet to get away from the missus for a bit for a lot of people just like sports are. I mean I know some people would love to play Yoshi's Mysterious Dungeon Plunder Chrono Tensei Part IV: The Final Chapter HD Remix with their wives but I don't really see the appeal of it. I mean hell, I may be CEO of Gravity Gauntlet Industries but I'd rather a ladyfriend of mine push me out of my fat basement otaku comfort zone, not dwell in it with me.

That being said, if the bitch has a problem knowing her Olive Garden fund comes from crappy Halo fanfiction disguised as good original fanfiction, then we may have a problem.

Dude you're like 12 years old, you have NO clue.

It's not about being into the same stuff. It's about not having to hide it or be ashamed of it. Why in the fuck would I want to be in a relationship with someone I would have to hide things from?

My girlfriend doesn't mind when I wear my Halo 3 boxers.

Fuck that shit. It's one of the main reasons why I stopped playing. Got sick and tired of joining losing games alone and searching in 2's and 3's. It also sucks when you have to carry a random who joins in on your team.

At least give an option to disable it. And if there is ranked at all in Halo 5 get rid of it completely.

People quit when there is nothing to lose so penalize them like in Halo 3.

I agree for ranked matches it should be disabled but social it should be enalbed. In Halo 4 It is disabled for playlists like Throwdown and there are quit bans/penalties so IMO Halo 4 trumps Reach or 3 in it's current JiP iteration. At launch JiP was too full on and therefore sucked, so if you haven't played recently JiP is playlist based and far better in terms of it's working parameters.

Social matches like CTF or slayer playlists have small windows where players can JiP in during player matching or very early on in the game (like first 10 kills or few minutes).

Going back to Halo 3 last night just reminder me of how many players quit before the game even starts just because they see a full party or a few high ranks or 50's etc. So you're stuck with a shit game and even when only 1 or 2 players are on the enemy team they don't quit.

I'd like to see one more iteration to the current playlist based JiP in Halo 4 and that is a surrender democracy vote. Basically for disabled playlists or playlists with games in progress when JiP becomes disabled if 2 or more players quit on the same team then a vote option should group democracy vote to surrender a match without quit penalties.

It would still process rank for the winning team, weight the players that surrendered so their rank/quit bans don't get affected as much as the actual quitters. This please all the good players that stay in games, penalises the quitters and returns players in shit games back to the matching pools/playlist searching.

Elegant and not too hard to development either.

Defect

I agree for ranked matches it should be disabled but social it should be enalbed. In Halo 4 It is disabled for playlists like Throwdown and there are quit bans/penalties so IMO Halo 4 trumps Reach or 3 in it's current JiP iteration. At launch JiP was too full on and therefore sucked, so if you haven't played recently JiP is playlist based and far better in terms of it's working parameters.

Social matches like CTF or slayer playlists have small windows where players can JiP in during player matching or very early on in the game (like first 10 kills or few minutes).

Going back to Halo 3 last night just reminder me of how many players quit before the game even starts just because they see a full party or a few high ranks or 50's etc. So you're stuck with a shit game and even when only 1 or 2 players are on the enemy team they don't quit.

I'd like to see one more iteration to the current playlist based JiP in Halo 4 and that is a surrender democracy vote. Basically for disabled playlists or playlists with games in progress when JiP becomes disabled if 2 or more players quit on the same team then a vote option should group democracy vote to surrender a match without quit penalties.

It would still process rank for the winning team, weight the players that surrendered so their rank/quit bans don't get affected as much as the actual quitters. This please all the good players that stay in games, penalises the quitters and returns players in shit games back to the matching pools/playlist searching.

Elegant and not too hard to development either.

I rarely encounter(ed) quitters in Halo 3. I couldn't finish one match in Reach without at least one enemy quitting. Bans won't stop people from quitting. Skill ranks do.
Well they help a lot.

I just want to start a match from the beginning at the lobby. It's so simple and I hope 343 includes an option to disable it.

DeadNames

Banned
My girlfriend doesn't care about my video games. As a matter of fact, she thinks its "cute".

I miss bungies weapon design... The grenade launcher was amazing :( however I do love the railgun.

lol, fuck dude, I don't know whether to be happy or sorry for you.

But me and my girlfriend are really into each other, we both have things that the other are not really into, she likes Teen Mom and all that shitty ABC family drama, and I'm into the Sci-Fi stuff like Doctor Who/Stargate/Halo and stuff. It's not a deal-breaker for either of us, I wouldn't really want to date someone who is exactly like me, I've done that before and it's really weird, especially when you can be as awkward as me sometimes.

That being said, if I had Halo bed-covers, I'd probably break up with me too.

LOL, a couple years ago, my mom wanted me to explain the games to her, shit was cash.

I sat down and tried to explain it in depth for about 20 minutes, and she looked pretty sincere, when I asked her about it a couple days later, didn't remember a thing lol.

Ok Bro. Don't say I didn't try to help you. Once the fun factory of life doors close up its just you and your games homie. Let that sink in for a minute.

Put it this way, if I ever fire this girl for good the only thing I will be looking for is someone who is into what I am into.

I still keep it real with my Reach statue and 12" Master Chief tho.

Dude you're like 12 years old, you have NO clue.

It's not about being into the same stuff. It's about not having to hide it or be ashamed of it. Why in the fuck would I want to be in a relationship with someone I would have to hide things from?

My girlfriend doesn't mind when I wear my Halo 3 boxers.

I'm the girlfriend in this case though. I'm pretty ashamed I'm so into gaming and my last girlfriend was a non-gamer, but still made efforts here and there to feign interest (asking to do simple Nintendo shit or somehow knowing when Halo 4 came out - I wouldn't wax lyrical to her about Halysis, believe it or not) because, I admit, gaming is probably an effective bonding outlet. I mean hell, nameless wahrer ladyfriend probably humored/enjoyed my dorky brand of gaming industry's guiltiest pleasures more than I could ever hope to tolerate it.

All I'm saying is that in the long run, a pair of people with similar minds and interests probably won't do much better than complete opposites who are into eachother but not eachother's interests. It's a matter of compromise.

Also: I nominate we make Halo OT pure salt and Halo 4 OT pure SLRP. Simultaneous pro/con conversations in here are weird.

I rarely encounter(ed) quitters in Halo 3. I couldn't finish one match in Reach without at least one enemy quitting. Bans won't stop people from quitting. Skill ranks do.
Well they help a lot.

I just want to start a match from the beginning at the lobby. It's so simple and I hope 343 includes an option to disable it.

Start of Halo 3 online and there wasn't too many quitters but by mid-life to current day quitters are everywhere. 50 objective, 50 slayer and social skirmish were terrible for quitters for me personally, it was almost every match. BTB was guaranteed one quitter at least 90% of the time and usually more as the games became lopsided.

Side note: my misses is the one who pre-ordered my X1 before I could even put my money down. She bought me Reach for my birthday too when it released. Occasionally she'll play Tiger Woods golf or Tennis games and she beats me at them too, which is funny as hell. These days though she's gaming with the little ones on the iPad or iPhone more than anything. Zoo-sim games are her thing now.

I'm the girlfriend in this case though. I'm pretty ashamed I'm so into gaming and my last girlfriend was a non-gamer, but still made efforts here and there to feign interest (asking to do simple Nintendo shit or somehow knowing when Halo 4 came out - I wouldn't wax lyrical to her about Halysis, believe it or not) because, I admit, gaming is probably an effective bonding outlet. I mean hell, nameless wahrer ladyfriend probably humored/enjoyed my dorky brand of gaming industry's guiltiest pleasures more than I could ever hope to tolerate it.

All I'm saying is that in the long run, a pair of people with similar minds and interests probably won't do much better than complete opposites who are into eachother but not eachother's interests. It's a matter of compromise.

Also: I nominate we make Halo OT pure salt and Halo 4 OT pure SLRP. Simultaneous pro/con conversations in here are weird.

can we move onto the gravity gauntlet penis jokes already?

but seriously, if you can find a girl who would be into halysis shit, never let her go.

Defect

Start of Halo 3 online and there wasn't too many quitters but by mid-life to current day quitters are everywhere. 50 objective, 50 slayer and social skirmish were terrible for quitters for me personally, it was almost every match. BTB was guaranteed one quitter at least 90% of the time and usually more as the games became lopsided.

I know that Halo 3 started to flood with derankers in ranked by mid-life but that was because the system was flawed. I think going back to Halo 2's ELO system would prevent cheating. Live security has improved since the OG Xbox days.

FyreWulff

I know that Halo 3 started to flood with derankers in ranked by mid-life but that was because the system was flawed. I think going back to Halo 2's ELO system would prevent cheating. Live security has improved since the OG Xbox days.

Halo 2's ELO was more exploitable than Trueskill

Top Bottom