• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Don't listen to these guys. Just slowlyyyy mold her into your life and gradually open her up to the "darker corners" of your interests.

If you're the man, you're the man. It's really that simple. If she's really into you just give it some time and continue to assert dominance.
It's not even that she minds it, it's just that we both have slightly different interests, but i see what you are saying about molding.
Watching this & saying shit is so cash, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you guys are still teenagers?

RIP in peace
In my last year of high school actually, I'm not able to enjoy the privilege of drinking beer and paying bills like some of you.

Teenagers are pretty fucking dumb, I won't deny

Gui_PT

Totally would, but because of the 'terrible' netcode the game is unplayable over Live with anyone not in Australia

Well we can still just try it out this weekend if you're interested. If it's bad for you but you really want to get the achievement, I know how to skip most of the level. You won't even have to move(that'swhatshesaid).

I'd just like to see it as an experiment as it'd technically enforce close games with Trueskill - each team would be composed of people with really close skill, and you wouldn't have mixed-skill (>10 TS gap) teams even be possible.

Force single person, turn the skill matching up, and it could possibly be one of the most competitive playlists in terms of close games all up and down the TS spectrum.

I still cant comprehend why they havent put a mercenaries playlist in. Solo queuing has always been a shitfest, your stuck doing FFA (Which some people just dont like) or taking your chances in a team playlist where you undoubtedly get matched against a team of 5 inheritors who have been playing for hours and are so warm you stand no chance. There needs to be a playlist that offers protection for that solo queue player against huge teams. Also any good player can get a team together and stomp kids, but can you adapt to any team and still win? That's like a whole new skill requirement, which would be fun to see.

Fuchsdh

Oh, I didn't think of adding skulls.

You can bypass last third of level? I knew of the banshee trick at the start, but I was running through normally for the rest of it

After the second generator is KO'd, you can fly your Banshee straight past all the enemies in the rocky tunnel to the doors of the large inner room with the broken span--you can fight your way through it legit, or you can just hope to dodge everyone including the Rocket Flood, and just repeat it a couple of times until you survive. Then, you backtrack for a Ghost by the tunnel mouth. You can use the Banshee to push the Ghost through the small crack in the door, and use that Ghost to skip the final three outdoor battles and gun it for the final Banshee to get to the third and final generator. The only waiting you have to do is for some enemies to load; since you're not doing it on foot like you're supposed to it's possible to beat the loading and not be able to progress further.

I believe that RC Master http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterRC has a guide to the achievement where he shows up this trick in detail. It's not hard to learn, and aside from dying a couple of times on your gauntlet run for the banshee at the end, it's pretty easy. Will definitely save you a lot of possible Grunt deaths.

Tawpgun

My girl doesn't like the same music. Doesn't like the same movies, doesn't game. I'm studying envi sci, she's a singer. She doesn't like anything I like she's the worst

But I love her and stuff so whatever.

Halo bed sheets are dumb.

I need to play Halo some time but I don't think I can get Internet into my room, and the wifi would be weak, and id need the adapter... Living room box is connected, but that thing is basically a FIFA machine.

And I need to pre order the goty, GTA V

J10

Banned
I cant stand videos like this. Its obviously a plain attempt at just pulling in views/revenue, like nothing is even hiding it. "HALO 5 EASTEREGG IN HALO 4!?!?!"

And then its just a flipping cloud, because people still think when they see faces or designs in textures in games, they think its an easter egg.

87014362-full-2.png

Nebula

Computer

It's always looked like a marine to me, not Master Chief.

Ascension has great atmospheric noise.

I still hope that one day a developer will do an ultimate classics map pack where they bring all the older maps to the newest game.

Yes but only if they don't fuck with the art style of the map. It kills it for me. They always add so much distracting unnecessary shit. I like plain maps as in Halo 2.

Also I loved the banshee in Ascension. It was not over powered and the rockets could take it down. I miss when Halo had strategy must be why I like ricochet so much.

NOKYARD

I cant stand videos like this. Its obviously a plain attempt at just pulling in views/revenue, like nothing is even hiding it. "HALO 5 EASTEREGG IN HALO 4!?!?!"

And then its just a flipping cloud, because people still think when they see faces or designs in textures in games, they think its an easter egg.

HSH cleared things up for him.
Frankie, Urk, and others, have made the validity of this type of finding perfectly clear on past occasions.
Their stance is simple: If you have to outline the suspected Easter Egg in MS Paint in order to help other's to see it, then it is most certainly NOT an Easter Egg.
Easter Eggs are clearly visible, indisputable, and never open to interpretation. For instance, many incorrectly saw Ling Ling's head in patterns in Halo 2, but no one ever had to outline IWHBYD or Frankie's moonface in MS Paint.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ellis is in the right. You can call it hypocritical all you want (even though I'm 99% sure he had nothing to do with Cortana's design and has never actually commented on it), but the idea that he is expressing is good, and I agree with him wholeheartedly. I'm glad he brought it up.

TheOddOne

Found it:
So I got the Halo 4...guide thing. Whatever it is. The book with the MC and the Didact's cryptum on the cover. In the back are interviews with several members from 343 Industries. An enlarged, key quote from Scott Warner – "Within the Halo sandbox, I think we managed to create another 30 seconds of fun" – caught my eye, so I read his first. The interview provided some...interesting insights into the development process behind the campaign. I'll post the most fascinating things below:

"And if you were to look at what the big changes from previous Halo games are, it's the introduction of the new race, and our decision to move away from over-emphasizing huge combat spaces – like the ones you see in Halo 3 and Reach – in exchange for bringing some more tight linear environments back into the game. When you go back to the first Halo, there are many fantastic fights, like the one out of Pillar of Autumn, that are really excellent because they are more linear and tight."

"Another area of the game that we explored early on but ended up backing away from, was the idea of having major setpiece moments that didn't interrupt the sandbox."

"We started with the multiplayer first in establishing the overall sandbox balance, and then applied that back into the campaign."

In response to the question of what he would most want to improve for the next Halo:

"Our resistance to change. Now that I've gotten to the end of this, my perspective has changed completely from being very faithful to the original games, to I'd love to do a lot more original stuff. To feel less precious about what existed before, because I think it's inhibited us in some ways. Now, I think we can go anywhere with it creatively. And we should."

Edit:

On the thing he's most proud of in the campaign:

"The Prometheans, because we created a brand new race that's interesting to fight against and feels really fresh. Within the Halo sandbox, I think we managed to create another '30 seconds of fun.' I think we addressed some of the concerns that existed with the Flood, in terms of them being one-dimensional, and also gave us another tool help avoid player fatigue."

Madness

Ellis is in the right. You can call it hypocritical all you want (even though I'm 99% sure he had nothing to do with Cortana's design and has never actually commented on it), but the idea that he is expressing is good, and I agree with him wholeheartedly. I'm glad he brought it up.

Different strokes for different folks. America is different from Japan. For them, sexualized characters aren't a big deal, much like violence isn't a deal in the US.

It is a bit hypocritical. Doesn't matter if he didn't have anything to do with the Cortana design, he still worked for a company that did almost the same thing and didn't publicly call out or challenge it. I mean if he is so averse to it, why did he stand by when 343 designers sexualized the hell out of Cortana? It was probably for the same reason Kojima did the same for his female characters. Sex sells, sex sells especially to the 12-24 male demographic which buys a surprisingly large amount of games.

Computer

wish him the best of luck, but with those opinions I'm glad he's not working on the next game

Me to. He is basically saying lets take everything Halo is known and popular for and toss it out because he thinks it makes for better game play. How about taking gamers opinion on the matter?

TheOddOne

Meant no malice by digging up that post, but it always was in the back of my mind. Different opinions, but that was a far cry from what I wanted from a Halo game campaign wise.

Meant no malice by digging up that post, but it always was in the back of my mind. Different opinions, but that was a far cry from what I wanted from a Halo game campaign wise.

I love how his example of an ideal linear encounter is the tutorial level in the first game.

Gui_PT

The Prometheans, because we created a brand new race that's interesting to fight against and feels really fresh

72d.gif

On what David said, of course he's free to have his own opinion and talk about it but when folks defend him by saying he doesn't have anything to do with Cortana's creation... that's just missing the point completely.

The issue is he has a problem with the sexualization of characters like this but has never complained about a naked woman character in a game he worked on where lots of the cutscenes focus on her boobs and ass. Doesn't matter if he had something to do with the creation of the character or not.

Edit: And no one dare say they didn't make her with a perfect body just to get folks interested in some way.

Computer

It would be nice to play ricochet with out everyone using the jet pack. 343 gets so close to having something good then the let AA's get in the way I just can't..

Yet another example of David "holier than thou" Ellis. What a fucking rube. Spartan Ops sucked over all, make him a janitor.

And i cant wait for that "frankie lies theough his teeth about esports" interview

I'm inclined to agree (given the comments Kojima allegedly made), although it ultimately falls under the umbrella of art, and something like a triple-A video game is a complex machine, made up of a tremendous amount of art, working on multiple levels: concept art, story-boarding, writing, character design, screenplay, textures, three-dimensional models, animations, effects, character design, cinematography, editing, motion capture, voice acting, dialog trees, encounters, artificial intelligence, et cetera (the list goes on, these are just some off the top of my head).

Ultimately whether something is good art or bad art is subjective, and all of it is subject to criticism. David said another developer's art is bad and demeaning to women, with almost no context within the game it is from (unless he's been privy to more than we have), AND I find his comment extremely hypocritical simply because he is attached to Halo 4 and I felt that to be an excellent example of the unnecessary sexualization of a character (Cortana went from being a snarky, smart, AI with a cool demeanor, to a more feminine, emotional, vulnerable character, unlike which the franchise had not seen before, and that's aside from her visual amplifications that had no justification within the context of the game).

Why do you post in this community? Honest question.
So i cant be a part of a community unless i blindly follow the devs? Just because of my opinion on David Ellis (whom i've had words with in the past) and Frankie ( whom says things and the opposite happens) means i cant be a part of this community?

Put your personal relationships with them aside and think clearly. Asking a question like that sounds kinda uppity.

TheOddOne

So i cant be a part of a community unless i blindly follow the devs? Just because of my opinion on David Ellis (whom i've had words with in the past) and Frankie ( whom says things and the opposite happens) means i cant be a part of this community?

Put your personal relationships with them aside and think clearly. Asking a question like that sounds kinda uppity.
If you are going to be critical, at least come up with something better than this:
Yet another example of David "holier than thou" Ellis. What a fucking rube. Spartan Ops sucked over all, make him a janitor.

And i cant wait for that "frankie lies theough his teeth about esports" interview
Look at these people:
I'm inclined to agree (given the comments Kojima allegedly made), although it ultimately falls under the umbrella of art, and something like a triple-A video game is a complex machine, made up of a tremendous amount of art, working on multiple levels: concept art, story-boarding, writing, character design, screenplay, textures, three-dimensional models, animations, effects, character design, cinematography, editing, motion capture, voice acting, dialog trees, encounters, artificial intelligence, et cetera (the list goes on, these are just some off the top of my head).

Ultimately whether something is good art or bad art is subjective, and all of it is subject to criticism. David said another developer's art is bad and demeaning to women, with almost no context within the game it is from (unless he's been privy to more than we have), AND I find his comment extremely hypocritical simply because he is attached to Halo 4 and I felt that to be an excellent example of the unnecessary sexualization of a character (Cortana went from being a snarky, smart, AI with a cool demeanor, to a more feminine, emotional, vulnerable character, unlike which the franchise had not seen before, and that's aside from her visual amplifications that had no justification within the context of the game).
On what David said, of course he's free to have his own opinion and talk about it but when folks defend him by saying he doesn't have anything to do with Cortana's creation... that's just missing the point completely.

The issue is he has a problem with the sexualization of characters like this but has never complained about a naked woman character in a game he worked on where lots of the cutscenes focus on her boobs and ass. Doesn't matter if he had something to do with the creation of the character or not.

Edit: And no one dare say they didn't make her with a perfect body just to get folks interested in some way.
Pure quality.

Top Bottom