• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Also have a version of the same game/map on Impact called Chimerical.

It's based on a Jetpack Grifball map which was heading to MM but was stalled in test because it depended on Player Trait Zones to function correctly. It would have been the first and only map in Halo MM which uses zero solid objects. Jetpack Ricochet variants play better on it than Grifball variants due to the dual goal types and the fact that you can't change the scoring radius of a Grifball goal in Halo 4.

You should try decorating your maps with Dominion pieces. Activate them using the RICO_DECORATION label and assign to a team.

ibggPAfDq4I8KP.jpeg

That is cool, will it only work for Ricochet or Dominion?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I've been making all sorts of art assets for people as per request, and one of them was too fun not to turn into a halogaf banner.

iuJFKwXVmhszg.png

When Halo |OT19| OddOne OT2: I Don't Think You Understand The Gauntlet Of That Request comes around
in 200 years
, I'll be ready.

I guess it's wabbit season on Reach.

Where should the film start off in the canon? Halo itself? Reach? A Forerunner planet? Earth? An unknown destination, perhaps? And of course, my absolute favorite debate: the actor to fill in the shoes of humanity’s greatest warrior himself, the Master Chief.
• Start at "The Fall of Reach".
• Daniel Cudmore as Master Chief (H4:FUD).

All these nagging questions have plagued the production of the film for years now, for we are nearly in the fourth quarter of 2013 (over 8 years later) and still haven’t the smallest molecule of information regarding anything about the nature or whereabouts of the film.

But one should wonder: is it really necessary to bring such a project to life, one that is overflowing with risk and dangers, both gaming and film-wise?

I’m in the camp that thinks, with all due senses and logic, that a Halo film shouldn’t happen. Seeing the series for what it is and just how deep it goes into its own mythos, pathos, and logos, it just seems way too gigantic a package to carry up the mountain. For a series that has thrived off its own universe and knowledge, just where honestly would one even begin to start in order to fulfill the wishes of the fans?
• Take the risk and do the film. Ex. Forward Unto Dawn.
• Start from the very beginning. Not the Forerunner Trilogy. Not Harvest, Halo Wars, or The Cole Protocol. Start from the Fall of Reach Novel.
1. Pretending other events prior haven’t happened, unless referenced cleverly to avoid plot holes and continuity errors.

2. Choosing to simply CG the hell out of the Covenant without going into practical effects territory.

3. Switching up the origins of characters, the Covenant, the Forerunners, or the war itself for the sake of trying something new, instead of staying dedicated to the source material.

4. Completely ignoring the calling of Bungie’s expert analysis, and not having them somehow involved with the project so that they can overlook it and make sure certain things are done right.

5. Switching the gender/ethical background of key characters if they are included.

6. Making the Flood anything but scary or worthy of their in-game origins, if they are included.

7. Not finding a clever way of molding a new musical theme while staying true to Martin O’Donnell and Michael Salvatori’s work.
• The clever references in Past events can be added to a Special Extended Edition. No need to worry so much to put them into the main film. (We wouldn't want another Halo 4 attempt "Librarian" scene now do we?)
• CG is sorta inevitable for the Covenant.
• A few tiny changes to the original source material won't hurt.
• Seriously? Please.. that's not even an issue.
• 343 seems like they know what they're doing in hiring the proper actors/actresses and following the original source material.
• With the right prop made suits and CG effects it should be fine.
• Halo 4 Soundtrack Volume 2 & Spartan Assault Soundtrack & Halo 4: FUD Soundtrack were Amazing! For a Cinematic Original Halo Theme for the Halo film shouldn't be an issue for 343 to compose.

Interesting article to say the least. More to read at the link: http://whatculture.com/film/5-defin...tive-reasons-why-a-halo-movie-shouldnt-happen

TheOddOne

I've been making all sorts of art assets for people as per request, and one of them was too fun not to turn into a halogaf banner.

iuJFKwXVmhszg.png

When Halo |OT19| OddOne OT2: I Don't Think You Understand The Gauntlet Of That Request comes around
in 200 years
, I'll be ready.
I still make the best cameos.

belushy

Banned
The "potential" of spectator mode. Yeah, way to temper expectations there 343. Why is spectator mode so hard for them? Why is making a good Halo game so hard for them?

Yeah I don't get that at all. I feel like a Spectator Mode should be high up on their list. H4GC was great, and I hope that they realize the pain tournament makers like AGL, UMG, and MLG has to/had to go through to set up Halo streams.

FyreWulff

The "potential" of spectator mode. Yeah, way to temper expectations there 343. Why is spectator mode so hard for them? Why is making a good Halo game so hard for them?

In terms of first person view, it probably had to do with the data rate they send other clients information. If you've ever glitched into a first person view that was not you in films, you'll notice how jumpy and skippy it is. This is why you always get third person after you die.

Who knows, maybe they felt it wasn't worth the tradeoff at the time to use more bandwidth and have potentially more latency in the game just to get a spectator mode. Call of Duty's got less going down the wire, so they possibly have more headroom to implement it.

Dedicated servers would certainly make it more doable.

Also, as a tangent.. Call of Duty's spectator mode needs an option where it auto-rotates players it's looking at and an option to skip bots when switching.

Nebula

Spectator mode or bust. It would help out a lot of people, and on Call of Duty, a spectator or CoDCaster can be host so you could do 1v1s with neither player having host advantage. I think the pros outweigh the cons for sure.

Halo custom games need to always make the party leader host for this to work as well.

TheOddOne

If they did bring a spectator mode, it better be full fledged and well developed. No 'It's good enough' bish or scrap it and never talk about it.

FyreWulff

Spectator mode or bust. It would help out a lot of people, and on Call of Duty, a spectator or CoDCaster can be host so you could do 1v1s with neither player having host advantage. I think the pros outweigh the cons for sure.

Halo custom games need to always make the party leader host for this to work as well.

No point in worrying about host with dedis now. I'm assuming even private games will be dedi-hosted.

Nebula

No point in worrying about host with dedis now. I'm assuming even private games will be dedi-hosted.

It would be nice but wouldn't they be looking to have as little extra strain on the servers as possible? Especially on release days.

Assuming that having customs as well as public matches would strain them that is.

FyreWulff

It would be nice but wouldn't they be looking to have as little extra strain on the servers as possible? Especially on release days.

Assuming that having customs as well as public matches would strain them that is.

I think of it this way:

- Azure's whole thing is server instances can be created instantly

- You have to pay for gold to play multi in customs anyway

- all 8 of you going into a 4v4 playlist and being put in a dedi is as much strain as all 8 of you just starting a custom.

- Engineering the netcode around dedis would improve things, and at that point it'd be kind of pointless to have peer-to-peer networking in only one small segment of the game

BONUS - I'm predicting dedis are going to be everywhere in Halo 4, including Campaign co-op and Firefight (or whatever Firefight is)

Nebula

I think of it this way:

- all 8 of you going into a 4v4 playlist and being put in a dedi is as much strain as all 8 of you just starting a custom.

- Engineering the netcode around dedis would improve things, and at that point it'd be kind of pointless to have peer-to-peer networking in only one small segment of the game

BONUS - I'm predicting dedis are going to be everywhere in Halo 4, including Campaign co-op and Firefight (or whatever Firefight is)

Makes sense, and it's looking good for the future of Halo. Let's hope the game itself is playable or this will all be for nothing.

Madness

I hope there is a beta. Not for the try before buy aspect but because it might help them have a smoother launch night, day, week etc.

Even if it's like 1 level or just like 4v4 or 8v8. Any feedback could be incorporated prior to launch as well.

Computer

Isn't there still a host in dedicated servers? Far from being as important as in p2p but I always thought so.

The server is the host just like when you visit a webpage. Didis are aslo great because the free up processing power on the console. When a console host a game it uses a portion of its processing to host. In order to do this the consoles that are connected to the host have processing power just sitting around doing nothing at all so it is wasted. With a server hosting it bares the load. I think this iis where MS gets all that cloud bullshit they speak of.

I think of it this way:

I thought all online MP games on the Xbox One have dedicated servers?

Computer

I thought all online MP games on the Xbox One have dedicated servers?

If this was true you would never experience the 5 black screens a game every time the host host quits.

If you want to experience didis on Xbox play battlefield 3.

I do have one issues with didis in battlefield is that there is no matchmaking and players will kick and ban you from their server just for killing them. I hope Halo has a matchmaking server controlled by 343.

If this was true you would never experience the 5 black screens a game every time the host host quits.

If you want to experience didis on Xbox play battlefield 3.

I'm talking about the Xbox One, I thought they were discussing spectator mode and stuff in Halo 5, and it turned into a conversation about dedis.

I know the 360 doesn't have dedicated servers in every game, but I thought at E3 MS said every X1 game will have dedis.

Silky

Banned
So...I'm still playing Reach, and I was looking into buying 4. I really enjoyed the weekend's worth of the game that I played, but I feel I'd be missing out on some of the DLC maps.

Should I wait for the GOTY edition? Or, just stick to Reach/3 seeing as 3's going to be free soon.

So...I'm still playing Reach, and I was looking into buying 4. I really enjoyed the weekend's worth of the game that I played, but I feel I'd be missing out on some of the DLC maps.

Should I wait for the GOTY edition? Or, just stick to Reach/3 seeing as 3's going to be free soon.

The Halo 4 campaign is worth a playthrough, but for MP I would just stick to Reach or 3 at this point. Since Halo 5 is coming out next year I'm sure what's left of the H4 playerbase will move on.

edit: I would just get the regular edition if you really wanna play 4's campaign since it's cheaper.

Blueblur1

I do not recommend the GOTY edition. Most players, including myself, never get the DLC maps when playing online. Most likely because they're optional and the people still playing don't have them. So that GOTY edition would be a waste of money.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member

I'm not sure its worth speculating about spectator mode in Halo. If the next Halo is anything like Halo 4, which I think it almost certainly will be if not even more CoDified, why would you want to watch it anyway?

About X1 games and dedis on Azure: MS offers them for everyone to use, but I don't think that it's platform mandated that devs are forced to use them.

Yea, cuz nobody watched the global championship.

Nope.

Yea but was it compelling because of the gameplay on show or because 200 grand was at stake? I can only speak for myself but a point and click magnet BR and a zero-nuance concussion rifle with a short projectile travel time do not excite me in the slightest. Go and watch Ninja's Reach 1v1's. Disgusting sniper shots squeezed in between a descope. Masterful use of the Grenade Launcher. Halo 3 had leading shots and a snipe that took real appreciable skill to use. Quite frankly, if the weapons aren't difficult to use or have no depth then where's the buzz coming from for the viewer? I could find tension and hype in a game of rock paper scissors if 200k was up for grabs. Still, I give props to 343/MS for actually stumping up that sort of cash and the venue/setup was well done.

Yea but was it compelling because of the gameplay on show or because 200 grand was at stake? I can only speak for myself but a point and click magnet BR and a zero-nuance concussion rifle with a short projectile travel time do not excite me in the slightest. Go and watch Ninja's Reach 1v1's. Disgusting sniper shots squeezed in between a descope. Masterful use of the Grenade Launcher. Halo 3 had leading shots and a snipe that took real appreciable skill to use. Quite frankly, if the weapons aren't difficult to use or have no depth then where's the buzz coming from for the viewer? I could find tension and hype in a game of rock paper scissors if 200k was up for grabs. Still, I give props to 343/MS for actually stumping up that sort of cash and the venue/setup was well done.

I must say, the removal of gaming's best Grenade Launcher
(aside from Goldeneye 64)
still baffles me.

That needs to come back for Halo 5, along with Halo 1's Magnum and Plasma Rifle, and Reach's Beta Plasma Launcher.

What blows my mind is why they couldn't just include both as the same gun.

Press RT: Sticky det
Hold RT: Grenade launcher shot with EMP functionality

The general lack of understanding regarding regional dedi servers and the X1/azure data pipes here is just plain scary. Fuck me it is hands the best thing to ever happen to Halo.

To those who do get it please kindly help educate your HaloGAF brethren from now until launch.

Booshka

I miss the Grenade Launcher. Underused, but devastating in the right hands.

The general lack of understanding regarding regional dedi servers and the X1/azure data pipes here is just plain scary. Fuck me it is hands the best thing to ever happen to Halo.

To those who do get it please kindly help educate your HaloGAF brethren from now until launch.

A couple of posts about the Grenade Launcher, seemingly out of nowhere, a call to arms for everyone to market the, "Power of the Cloud and how it is the best thing to happen to Halo."

You're one strange bird Ozzy.

Top Bottom